Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work (14230 Views)

Lose Weight Or You Risk Losing Your Job. Customs Boss Charge Officers / Be Careful Where You Sit At Work / What Is The Best Way To Handle A Randy Boss Without Losing Your Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Modenzy: 7:20am On Feb 20, 2016
Have you ever received an email from a client, customer or coworker that was rude, irrational, demanding and unnecessary? Or had an employee make a costly mistake? Your first instinct may have been to react immediately — to angrily hit “reply” or chide your employee in front of the entire office.

Keeping your cool, especially during stressful situations, is one of the most important attributes of a good leader. These five tips will help you keep a clear head and an even temper, no matter how stressful your day.

1. Take a step back. Try to view the situation as a third party. Pretend you’re a representative of yourself and evaluate the problem from a logical point of view. An emotional reaction or angry tirade will almost never solve a dilemma. At best, losing your temper may cause an embarrassing situation and you may need to offer an apology for your behavior. At worst, you’ll intensify the situation and add to the list of consequences. Ask yourself, “Is this something I’ll still be angry about a year from now?” If not, let it go and move on. Many seasoned entrepreneurs will tell you that the things that used to upset them don’t even register on their radar anymore.

2. Be the voice of reason. When someone raises his or her voice to you, take a deep breath and remain calm. Keep your voice steady and speak at a normal pace. Most people will quickly realize they’re the only aggressor in the situation and will bring their voice and their temper back down. Some may even apologize for their outburst. At the same time, be prepared to apologize if you say something you didn't mean to say.

3. Think carefully before you speak. Once something comes out of your mouth, you can’t take it back. Saying hurtful or nasty things can be risky or dangerous to your professional reputation. It can also shatter your credibility. Watch what you say, how you say it, and where you say it. It’s best to confront someone in private, whenever possible.

4. Don’t take it personally. Entrepreneurs care deeply about their business and take extreme pride in their products and services. After all, they created the entire company from the ground up. Because of the emotion tied to your business, you may take negative feedback from customers as a personal attack. Instead, try to put yourself in your customers' shoes. You never know what kind of personal stressors someone may be dealing with on a daily basis. Try to practice patience and understanding and always treat everyone with the same level of respect you’d like to be shown.

5. Walk away. If you find a situation pushes you to your breaking point, step away until you can return with a clear mind. If you’re in the middle of an argument, simply tell the other person that you feel the conversation has gotten out of hand and you’d like to table the conversation for another time. Take time to calm down. Go outside and take a walk or take an hour and go to the gym. A break from the office and physical activity will help you relax. When you return to the problem, your fresh perspective will help you find the best solution.

6. add yours....

let me drop my keyboard here.
have nice day.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Clone2020(m): 5:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
6. Beat the person to stupor then resign like a boss.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
Its because there's no law in Nigeria that's why you reasoning like this. After beating the said individual to a stupor and feeling like a Boss, you will serve the full time in Jail like A Convict
Clone2020:
6 Beat the person to stupor then resign like a boss.

In real life, I hardly lose my temper but why am I even reading this, it's not like I have a job or planning to get one anytime soon angry

OP if I lose my temper just pray to your father's goat cus ama insult the shiit out of you infact, I will slap you if I could get away with it

5 Likes

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by tunwumi: 5:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
Good
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by ladyF(f): 5:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
I hardly ever lose my temper. Even Proverbs 14:29 says "whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly". Anger no dey pay!

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Blackberrybabes: 5:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
thanks for this tips

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Trapnews: 5:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Good!
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Cutehector(m): 5:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
I'm sorry. cool
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
Remember you may lose your job if you lose your temper.

Control will come automatically

5 Likes

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by MrDojo(m): 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
grin smiley

I did not read a single sentence....
grin

Lemme just say OP nice 1....
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Trapnews: 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
ladyF:
grin
.... and what's the reason for shining your teeth?

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by balancediet(m): 5:24pm On Feb 21, 2016
Anger resides in the bossom of fools...proverbs(bible)

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by aameyah(f): 5:32pm On Feb 21, 2016
Hmmn. Not easy sha.
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by igorapina: 5:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
Clone2020:
young man are u working at all?
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Clone2020(m): 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
igorapina:
young man are u working at all?

I'm on my bed, covered under my comforter watching the Chelsea vs Mancity match, skyping with my sweetheart and reading nairaland comments. Some of us don't have to work on Sundays you know?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Modenzy: 5:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
ladyF:
I hardly ever lose my temper. Even Proverbs 14:29 says "whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly". Anger no dey pay!

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

LADY F.. WELDONE.
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by JuicyGee(f): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
DashMeYansh:
In real life, I hardly lose my temper but why am I even reading this, it's not like I have a job or will get one.

OP if I lose my temper just pray to your father's goat cus ama insult the shiit out of you infact, I will slap you if I could get away with it
How are you sure you won't get a job. Why are you pessimistic angry
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Adesiji77: 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
Perspective changes everything, including emotions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by OLUJOSHINS(m): 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
hmmmm

in a way I'm yet to understand, God has "thrown my temper away"

I'm really super calm these days.

I pray it remains so sha
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
JuicyGee:

How are you sure you won't get a job. Why are you pessimistic angry

I don't plan on getting a job anytime soon...Rocking myself SOLO cool
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by OLUJOSHINS(m): 5:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
dear
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by mrphate(m): 6:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
as for me i barely lose my temper and my secret is this..." I keep smiling and playing with fingers "like an innocent baby" while he or she is shouting and using harsh words on me, the person suddenly finds out I'm not angry but rather just waiting for him or her finish their gragra n in my mind all im saying is "oga u don finish? abeg i want go"...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Think of the consequences of losing your temper at work
1. To your boss...... Receive query or warning or sack
2. To your subordinate ... This my oga just barks like bingo
3. To your colleague you might receive a fist, maybe she has a worse temper

After thinking through you will just ignore them and say "begone satan" in your mind

No 4 on your list always works for me

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by JuicyGee(f): 6:30pm On Feb 21, 2016
DashMeYansh:

I don't plan on getting a job anytime soon...Rocking myself SOLO cool
Ok o.. So you have enough stashed up in the bank to rock solo. Rock solo come my side nau grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Flame4chi(m): 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2016
No5 is my perfect option... I always walk away...
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by ayo4dworld(m): 7:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
The main reason not to loose one's temper has been figured out which is "Keeping calm", take your time to think before saying a word. Most of the time if we take our time to stay quiet we might not have any reason to loose temper or flare up.. Words are like egg, if spoken, it can't be retrieved. Customers will always hold on to your word anytime anyday, choose the type of words you will alter at anypoint in time
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by bolliejay(m): 7:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
6. You could get a query, warning, caution or sack letter. Had gotten a query for raised voice during conversation with a superior. Had to apologise when she was about sending the query to HR.
Best option......... Walk away......
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by sameesyd(m): 8:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
Clone2020:
So funny grin grin
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Lovexme(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2016
I hardly ever loose my temper. It takes a lot to make me loose it.
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by adedam007(m): 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
T
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by Treash(m): 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
In fact, its like the OP knows what am facing at work. U cant satisfy my boss. He takes offences at every slight mistake u make. One thing dat pains me over d weekend was dat on Friday, my boss shouted at me & compared me to his daughter in 300 Level University, on d basis dat she can solve professional issues dan me, all in d presence of our secretaries and clients. It was such an embarassment I never got in my life. Am leaving him soon once he pays me.
Re: 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work by funkymatics(f): 9:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
be a good friend to his superior or the hr, get a recorder to track his insults, learn about his rights and authority and know where his right stops cos that's where ur right begins.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elo Victor-Ogbondah, A "Wrongfully Sacked" Total Staff Writes To Buhari For Help / BOSIET Training By Chevron / What's Your Experience Like Being A Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.