Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon (762 Views)

How To Cultivate Melon (egusi) / How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by RealSleek(m): 11:00pm On Feb 20, 2016
I have a back yard water melon farm dt I water every morning and evening sometimes jst morning depending on how dry the soil is, they were doing fine until recent harsh sun I ve been seeing lately. my water melon will recover by morning but the leaves will drop before the sun goes down by evening...how do I cope with this, I ve been puttin more water but same recent...the heat is jst terrible...not all tho...but like half..
thanks for ur advice(s)
Re: Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by majorgr: 11:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
please try to mulch them using dry grasses around to protect them from loosing too much water. also don't water plant when the sun is hot is like literally pouring hot water on them. water very early in the morning and or very late in the even when the ground temperature has drop drastically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by uboma(m): 8:39am On Feb 21, 2016
RealSleek:
I have a back yard water melon farm dt I water every morning and evening sometimes jst morning depending on how dry the soil is, they were doing fine until recent harsh sun I ve been seeing lately. my water melon will recover by morning but the leaves will drop before the sun goes down by evening...how do I cope with this, I ve been puttin more water but same recent...the heat is jst terrible...not all tho...but like half..
thanks for ur advice(s)

there are some agricultural nets (not too sure of the actual name) that most farmers now use to reduce the direct sunlight on their crops.

Contact Pavore. He can profer more solutions and also source the nets for you.

1 Like

Re: Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by RealSleek(m): 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
majorgr:
please try to mulch them using dry grasses around to protect them from loosing too much water. also don't water plant when the sun is hot is like literally pouring hot water on them. water very early in the morning and or very late in the even when the ground temperature has drop drastically.

thanks..but I mulched, it still same result, I'm beginning to think dt I need to increase the water input, hope dt will solve d problem for good and hopefully this heat will decrease soon..or what do u think
Re: Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by majorgr: 12:07am On Feb 22, 2016
RealSleek:

thanks..but I mulched, it still same result, I'm beginning to think dt I need to increase the water input, hope dt will solve d problem for good and hopefully this heat will decrease soon..or what do u think
.i will like to see the way u mulched it because the main purpose of mulching is to reduce evaporation and eva transpiration that means the purpose is not yet reached. u may increase but i still need to say that melon dont need that too much of water but require moderate water supply. but only if most of the water supplied is escaping and not used by the melon u may increase to compensate for this but to prevent leaching it is better to find a way of preventing such water from escape u might add to the quantity of your mulch material.
Re: Help!! How Do I Deal Excessive Afternoon Sun Affecting My Water Melon by RealSleek(m): 10:53am On Feb 22, 2016
majorgr:
.i will like to see the way u mulched it because the main purpose of mulching is to reduce evaporation and eva transpiration that means the purpose is not yet reached. u may increase but i still need to say that melon dont need that too much of water but require moderate water supply. but only if most of the water supplied is escaping and not used by the melon u may increase to compensate for this but to prevent leaching it is better to find a way of preventing such water from escape u might add to the quantity of your mulch material.

that's very helpful...it's true some of the water is escaping..i will block their escape route..thanks again

(1) (Reply)

A-Z Of Catfish In Nigeria (what They Won't Tell You.) / Do You Want Cheap Compound Fertilizers ? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.