Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? (769 Views)

Buhari Blames Obasanjo, Yar Adua, Jonathan For Current Economy Troubles / Jonathan’s Government Made Our Economy A Disaster – Buhari / See The Most Tactful Question So Far In The Current Ministerial Screening! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by Ask4Info: 2:27am On Feb 21, 2016
THE CURRENT ECONOMY: A Fight Back or A Fall of Nature?

I have never been a good student of Economics so i should be forgiven if my assumptions on the causes of the poor state of economy are totally wrong, but one thing i have always banked on and hardly ever go wrong are my intuitions. So here are my thoughts.

Having thought so deep what might be the possible cause of the falling Naira against the dollar and other currencies, i have come to the conclusion that the possible real brains behind all these are not far from the CBN governor, Bank MDs as well as top Financial decision makers cut across all board.

Yes! I watch financial channels enough to keep myself abreast with the world economy, Even though countries like China, Russia, Japan, Australia and others are equally having it really tough at the moment due to the drop in oil prices, offloading of portfolios by investors in those countries, way more supplies been tossed out than the demand for various products thereby causing a loss and shut downs of factories, i think Nigeria's own situation is more political than mere economical.

After the presidency tried to restrict the movement of Forex, strict adherence to the Treasury Single Account, Full scale monitoring of corporate and individual accounts of those on the watch list of the EFCC (with the help of BVN) and recently the outright ban of sales of Forex to the Burea de Change, I have come to the conclusion that these so called financial cabals are hell bent on fighting back and making the Nigeria economy fall to its knees.

I equally do not see the CBN governor having his loyalty to the current president, bearing in mind that the immediate past president was the one who appointed him with the help of his former boss (Jim Ovia). We are all aware on whose support Jim Ovia. AIG Imoukhuede, Tony Elumelu, and others have their allegiance with. Also knowing the presidency doesn't have the sole power to fire the CBN governor without the approval of the senate, the damage to the Nigerian economy by these so called "Mafias" are likely to continue until the presidency is ready to take a very bold stepand damn all consequences and backlash for calling for the sack of the current CBN governor.

I think this is the time President Muhameed Buhari and the APC need to drop all political differences as well as ego and call for a National Economy Emergency Forum. We have world class economist (both home and abroad) who can proffer a lasting solution to this economic cancer currently being witnessed in the country. I am more than certain that a forum that has the likes of Charles Soludo, Pat Utomi, HRH Lamido Sanusai Lamido, Adeshina and others, we will get a solution in less than a few days

With the astronomical way the dollar keeps shooting up, i am more than scared that the dollar is likely to equate N1,000 against $1 before the end of March. This is disastrous as it is a well know fact that Nigeria is more of a consumer country which imports basically every single thing into the country.

Businesses are packing up and the few that are still operating are running almost at a loss as a lot of them can not even pay vendors and staff, while those who are not facing such critical situations are not making as much profit as expected.

While the EFCC is busy fighting corruption, i think the presidency should pay more emphasis on job creation. I have thought of this deeply and done a few research and i think instead of the government channeling all its energy and focus on curbing unemployment through Agriculture and Solid Minerals, more emphasis should be on immediate investments which will yield instant results in solving the unemployment situation that is threatening the country and equally help grow the economy.

With $350, 000, 000 (Three hundred and fifty million dollars) invested in the Aviation sector, Nigeria will be able to have up to 15 fleet of airplanes which will directly employ between 5,000 - 10, 000 unemployed youths. It is a shame that the so called "giant" of Africa doesn't have a National Carrier. The aviation sector amounts for Ethiopia's main economic contribution to their country.

Also, with an additional investment of about $5, 000, 000 (Five million dollars) into the purchase of ferries for the inter-water transportation as well as fishing vessels more than 7,000 people will be employed in the water transport and fishing sector as well.

The above are just very few areas that immediate results can been seen to help reduce the unemployment situation in the country.

President Buhari equally needs to have map out plans to attract investors into the country rather than stiff conditions to scare them away. There should be plans to cut down tax rate of some companies that employ a certain large number of employees and introduction of at least 2years tax waivers for new businesses in certain sectors that can employ a reasonable large number of people.

We need to encourage more local patronages in the Furniture making business, Security gadgets and Appliances, Fashion,Building / Construction materials, Food process and storage, and others.

With the current economic melt down the nation is currently facing, i strongly believe this threat will pass in no distance time and Nigeria and Nigerians will rise stronger and better.

God Bless the Federal Republic Of Nigeria, God Bless Nigerians and God bless all those willing to sacrifice to make this Nation better.

1 Like

Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by olaboy33(m): 5:53am On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one u've got.....But how does this get through to the FG?....
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by oduastates: 8:58am On Feb 21, 2016
We all know that Nigerian banks are it fit for purpose and they tow the path of least resistance. But the idea of a cabal being the cause of the crisis is nothing but rubbish.
I have written many comments on this matter .
Let me ask you a question .
How many landing strips were in Nigeria under abacha and how many do we have today .

Answer : under abacha , over 100 private landing strips were discovered . SHOCKING?
Today , I have no clue .

What I can assure you is that the misapplication of resources has continued since 1979.
Nigeria spends but does not invest .
The total wealth of a country is not only measured by foreign reserves , sovereign wealth etc . It is the sum total of the wealth of her citizens.
The Nigerian so called elites have not only cornered all the available wealth , the politicians are also misapplying the available wealth.
Yes ,
This is a concept I want you to get used to.
THE MISAPPLICATION OF LIMITED RESOURCES.
All those private jets they buy and maintain is an example of the misappiication.
You would have expected someone on whose lap an oil block ( free money ) fell to use that as launching pad to build a mega corporation spanning all sorts of sectors from aluminium to steel , from mechanical to electrical , from mango to rice etc . But no . instead , they go on shopping sprees and parties .
This is why I will support any effort to strip all oil blocks from all Nigerians and vest those in the Nigerian state.

1 Like

Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one..so wats the way forward?
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by cmart09(m): 10:20am On Feb 21, 2016
For me, I see it as a brain child of Multinational and Transitional economic players comprehensively designed to look acceptable and untraceable.
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by porka: 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ask4Info:

I have never been a good student of Economics so i should be forgiven if my assumptions on the causes of the poor state of economy are totally wrong, but one thing i have always banked on and hardly ever go wrong are my intuitions. So here are my thoughts.

Having thought so deep what might be the possible cause of the falling Naira against the dollar and other currencies, i have come to the conclusion that the possible real brains behind all these are not far from the CBN governor, Bank MDs as well as top Financial decision makers cut across all board.

Yes! I watch financial channels enough to keep myself abreast with the world economy, Even though countries like China, Russia, Japan, Australia and others are equally having it really tough at the moment due to the drop in oil prices, offloading of portfolios by investors in those countries, way more supplies been tossed out than the demand for various products thereby causing a loss and shut downs of factories, i think Nigeria's own situation is more political than mere economical.

After the presidency tried to restrict the movement of Forex, strict adherence to the Treasury Single Account, Full scale monitoring of corporate and individual accounts of those on the watch list of the EFCC (with the help of BVN) and recently the outright ban of sales of Forex to the Burea de Change, I have come to the conclusion that these so called financial cabals are hell bent on fighting back and making the Nigeria economy fall to its knees.

I equally do not see the CBN governor having his loyalty to the current president, bearing in mind that the immediate past president was the one who appointed him with the help of his former boss (Jim Ovia). We are all aware on whose support Jim Ovia. AIG Imoukhuede, Tony Elumelu, and others have their allegiance with. Also knowing the presidency doesn't have the sole power to fire the CBN governor without the approval of the senate, the damage to the Nigerian economy by these so called "Mafias" are likely to continue until the presidency is ready to take a very bold stepand damn all consequences and backlash for calling for the sack of the current CBN governor.

I think this is the time President Muhameed Buhari and the APC need to drop all political differences as well as ego and call for a National Economy Emergency Forum. We have world class economist (both home and abroad) who can proffer a lasting solution to this economic cancer currently being witnessed in the country. I am more than certain that a forum that has the likes of Charles Soludo, Pat Utomi, HRH Lamido Sanusai Lamido, Adeshina and others, we will get a solution in less than a few days

With the astronomical way the dollar keeps shooting up, i am more than scared that the dollar is likely to equate N1,000 against $1 before the end of March. This is disastrous as it is a well know fact that Nigeria is more of a consumer country which imports basically every single thing into the country.

Businesses are packing up and the few that are still operating are running almost at a loss as a lot of them can not even pay vendors and staff, while those who are not facing such critical situations are not making as much profit as expected.

While the EFCC is busy fighting corruption, i think the presidency should pay more emphasis on job creation. I have thought of this deeply and done a few research and i think instead of the government channeling all its energy and focus on curbing unemployment through Agriculture and Solid Minerals, more emphasis should be on immediate investments which will yield instant results in solving the unemployment situation that is threatening the country and equally help grow the economy.

With $350, 000, 000 (Three hundred and fifty million dollars) invested in the Aviation sector, Nigeria will be able to have up to 15 fleet of airplanes which will directly employ between 5,000 - 10, 000 unemployed youths. It is a shame that the so called "giant" of Africa doesn't have a National Carrier. The aviation sector amounts for Ethiopia's main economic contribution to their country.

Also, with an additional investment of about $5, 000, 000 (Five million dollars) into the purchase of ferries for the inter-water transportation as well as fishing vessels more than 7,000 people will be employed in the water transport and fishing sector as well.

The above are just very few areas that immediate results can been seen to help reduce the unemployment situation in the country.

President Buhari equally needs to have map out plans to attract investors into the country rather than stiff conditions to scare them away. There should be plans to cut down tax rate of some companies that employ a certain large number of employees and introduction of at least 2years tax waivers for new businesses in certain sectors that can employ a reasonable large number of people.

We need to encourage more local patronages in the Furniture making business, Security gadgets and Appliances, Fashion,Building / Construction materials, Food process and storage, and others.

With the current economic melt down the nation is currently facing, i strongly believe this threat will pass in no distance time and Nigeria and Nigerians will rise stronger and better.

God Bless the Federal Republic Of Nigeria, God Bless Nigerians and God bless all those willing to sacrifice to make this Nation better.

Black people, always looking for whom to shift responsibility to.

You confessed you are challenged in economics yet you can come up with some illogical assertions. Is that not shameful?

Below is what the former CBN governor said about the current Buhari's direct control of monetary policies.

Note that Sanusi contributed in no small measure to the emergence of this government and didn't hide his disdain for the bankers you mentioned.

‘Artificial’ forex rate hurts Nigeria’s Buhari, says Lamido Sanusi

https://next.ft.com/content/c0c0876c-cd8a-11e5-831d-09f7778e7377

1 Like

Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by mikolo80: 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
oduastates:
We all know that Nigerian banks are it fit for purpose and they tow the path of least resistance. But the idea of a cabal being the cause of the crisis is nothing but rubbish.
I have written many comments on this matter .
Let me ask you a question .
How many landing strips were in Nigeria under abacha and how many do we have today .

Answer : under abacha , over 100 private landing strips were discovered . SHOCKING?
Today , I have no clue .

What I can assure you is that the misapplication of resources has continued since 1979.
Nigeria spends but does not invest .
The total wealth of a country is not only measured by foreign reserves , sovereign wealth etc . It is the sum total of the wealth of her citizens.
The Nigerian so called elites have not only cornered all the available wealth , the politicians are also misapplying the available wealth.
Yes ,
This is a concept I want you to get used to.
THE MISAPPLICATION OF LIMITED RESOURCES.
All those private jets they buy and maintain is an example of the misappiication.
You would have expected someone on whose lap an oil block ( free money ) fell to use that as launching pad to build a mega corporation spanning all sorts of sectors from aluminium to steel , from mechanical to electrical , from mango to rice etc . But no . instead , they go on shopping sprees and parties .
This is why I will support any effort to strip all oil blocks from all Nigerians and vest those in the Nigerian state.
one would also think that 'we' would invest in farms(fish,rice, wheat,sugar,palm oil,cocoa) and factories(pure water,garri,bread,soap no matter how small to electronics,whte goods et al)
not wise to wait for the political billionaires anymore
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by oyinkinola: 10:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
[b]The efforts of Nigerian government to recover the looted fund without the full supports of Nigerian would not make the task easy for the government, to recover the looted fund, we are hearing that the looters will fight back the nation and they were doing so without hide! it's samefull to this nation that a few elements with their evil acts and their colaborators hold down the 170 million nigerian in sufferance at the watch of themselves without any reactions isn't this a shame to the nation? If $1 trillion is unaccounted for and we are looking elsewhere for an angel to come and fix our economy for us without taken the looters responsible, it's a shame to this nation, if we still depend on the aid of western world , Usa, Asia gulf state for our own survival while harbouring the looters who looted us to bone without challenge, then it's a shame to the nation! if the Europian looted their treasory can they have the money to fix their economy talkless of helping others. if a party which formed for the service of the people openly support and protected the looters it is a shame, enough is enough for the office holders and publics sevants who looting nigeria treasory. NLFRC is now at watch of you looters and a drastic action will be taken against any looters!
here is some of the action taken so far:
Letter to the UN
Letter to the EU
Letter to the world bank and monetary institutions
Letter to the AU
Letter to the ECOWAS
Letter to the nations: Swis, Gb, Usa, Germany, Asian nation, Gulf states etc
we let's these international communities known that we need their full support on how to help nigerian government recover every kobo looted in nigeia and placed in their countries, no more hide out for the looters any longer, they either return the looted fund at their disposure or return it, no other options, they may try to play god or take is as joke all for their peril!

JOIN NLFRC Crusade to save nigeria nation!
NLFRC: Nigeria Looted Fund Reserve Recovered Crusade.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA....AMEN

co-ordinator oyinkinola[/b]
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by Flexherbal(m): 11:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
I don't know what to believe again, in this issue.
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by HiddenShadow: 11:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ask4Info:

China India and Indonesia are enjoying the cheap oil which has helped them make more profit by reducing cost of production.
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by oyinkinola: 11:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
Flexherbal:
I don't know what to believe again, in this issue.
...you are mix-up?
ok look at this:

[b]1. ....there are very many commentary on depreciation of ₦ nowadays expecially in parallel market, although parallel or black market can be manipulated by the traders, they either do it on their self interest, so those who doesn't beleive in the prosperity of nigeria can harbour $ as they can on imported goods hereby cause hike!
But in my own point of view the depreciation of ₦ is a great success to this nation if well manage to nigeria situation today. the looted fund is in $ and it must be refunded back in $, so if $1 is ₦198 when the money is looted, then if the money is refund today at $1 to ₦350 the nation has gained ₦152!
imagine if $1=₦1000, the gain is ₦902!
So in conclusion if the government managed to refund the $trillion looted and the refunded money, change it in parallel market, this will reduce the pressure on ₦ and the scarcity of $ in parallel market so the ₦=$.

(take note all the money took out of CBN during jonathan regime were changed in parallel market before ditributed)

you have other opinion?

2. ...2017 budget will beat record... ₦1 quadrillion!, all the social sectors will be substantially finance to trillions ₦, poverty will be completely eradicated and by the end of year 2018 Nigeria will be declared a developed state and classify one of the first three country in the index of human .
I know you will argue on how this can happen with the economics situation of today, low foreign reserve, low oil price, with depreciation of ₦.
yes oil price is down, foreign reserve is dry but we still have foreign looted fund reserve at hand! when recovered and well managed, it won't be problem to have money for this budget!
we can only pray that a $ hit ₦1000 and all $1 trillion looted recovered!
I know for sure that with the determination of this government and the support of foreign nation to help recovered all $ trillion looted it will happen.....$1 trillion recovered and change to ₦ will give us ₦1 quadrillion needed to financ that budget!
year 2017 bye bye to poverty!

3. ....OIL AND LFR
THE TWO MAIN MEANS OF INCOME FOR NIGERIA ECONOMY
.....with the determination of Nigeria president Buhari and the trust of of world leaders toward nigeria, from America, Eroupe, Asia and gulf nation the down price of oil and the rise in $ is not a corse to nigeria but a blessing.
Among the oil producing countries, and OPEC only nigeria have what other didn't, we have oil in common but nigeria have the looters as well, this opportunity raise nigeria above other oil nation and when all this country are frustrated with oil down price, nigeria have turn to her looted fund reserved to keep her economy running.
Nigeria is bless with oil and (LFR) looted fund reserve, when the oil price is down, the rise-up of dollar $ hike the value of our LFR, if government inject the LFR recovered on the economy, it will boot our economy!
at rate of $ to ₦ today if government managed to recovered $1 trillion LFR it will give us:

$1=₦400, $1trillion=₦400trillion!
I hereby challenge the Nigeria economists who insist that rising $ and downwards of oil price is a broke to nigeria economy to come-up for debate!
Note (LFR is looted fund reserve)[/b]
Re: The Current Economy: A Fight Back Or A Fall Of Nature? by Ask4Info: 6:47am On Mar 09, 2016
And gradually even the president is coming out to accuse the banks. It is only a matter of days/weeks before they kick out the CBN governor.

(1) (Reply)

Almost One Year On From Election Victory, Buhari's Reforms Flounder - Reuters / BREAKING: 3 Female Secondary School Students Kidnapped In Lagos- Metronaija.com / BREAKING News: Abduction: 14-yr-old Ese Is 5 Months Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.