Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,665 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Proof About Purgatory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Proof About Purgatory (1345 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proof About Purgatory by acooriz(m): 12:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Now, i made this thread only 2 support a thread i saw earlier on. Now let me ratify some misconception about the existence of purgatory.
1.. For those who keep arguing that nofyn like this word "purgatory" is mentioned in the bible... Pls understand that purgatory as a word is only used to describe the concept of temporal relief as stated by the magisterium (the living teaching body of the Roman Catholic church).. Purgatory from the word purge is simply adopted by the church to help explain the whole concept behind this state of temporal punishment for cleansing.. So pls try and relate better to the concept ,not the word
2.. The concept of purgatory as adopted by the magisterium is propounded on the the foundation of these two essentials ,sacred scripture and tradition.. Tradition which is an essential has unfortunately been ignored by other breakaway Christian brethren. The church takes into account the reality that not everything concerning the Christian Faith could have been documented into one book...(for more about the history of the scripture ..refer to google) and so treat tradition which invariably is undocumented scripture very seriously. It is used in many interpretation and most importantly in propounding the Catholic compendium.
3.. Having looked critically at the above two...it would give one a deeper insight when evaluating the existence of purgatory
4.. I might given u ppl some scriptural backings, but i kw that is something that all can relate 2 ....the purpose of this thread is not to impose the belief of purgatory on one .. Rather it is to help one to evaluate the belief of purgatory..
HAVE A BLESSED WEEK

1 Like

Re: Proof About Purgatory by yazz09(m): 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
So it's not biblical as I did not see a single Bible quote from your description. Also please not that the only thing that purges man's being is the blood of Jesus as stated in Heb 9:14. You have the Bible and you have your mind use them, don't let others impose what they believe into you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proof About Purgatory by acooriz(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
yazz09:
So it's not biblical as I did not see a single Bible quote from your description. Also please not that the only thing that purges man's being is the blood of Jesus as stated in Heb 9:14. You have the Bible and you have your mind use them, don't let others impose what they believe into you.
i personally refused 2 give biblical quotes bcuz i dont 2 engage in argument.. Rather help ppl understand the concept of purgatory

1 Like

Re: Proof About Purgatory by Nobody: 1:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
Oga silence!

How do you prove something to be biblical without biblical proof.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proof About Purgatory by acooriz(m): 1:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
Secretario:
Oga silence!

How do you prove something to be biblical without biblical proof.
dont mind my title...i did that 2 draw attention.. What im actually offering are factors that can help in ur evaluation of purgatory..
But sha..if u want scriptural quotation ..have it
Rev 21:27
Mac 12,39:46
Ccc:1030(Catholic compendium)
Matt:5,25:26
1pet 3:19
GOD BLESS ALL

1 Like

Re: Proof About Purgatory by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
acooriz:
i personally refused 2 give biblical quotes bcuz i dont 2 engage in argument.. Rather help ppl understand the concept of purgatory
undecidedundecided
Re: Proof About Purgatory by Amberon: 4:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
using the Scriptures to support your claims isnt "argument". Purgatory is simply inexistent.

Only the blood of Jesus saves.
acooriz:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 5:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
Amberon:
using the Scriptures to support your claims isnt "argument". Purgatory is simply inexistent.

Only the blood of Jesus saves.
Go & read 1cor 3:10-15 & tell me what you think.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by Amberon: 5:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
are you kidding me?? pls where is the purgatory in that verse? is this how much the gospel of Jesus Christ has been perverted?
gemale:

Go & read 1cor 3:10-15 & tell me what you think.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by yazz09(m): 6:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
acooriz:
dont mind my title...i did that 2 draw attention.. What im actually offering are factors that can help in ur evaluation of purgatory..
But sha..if u want scriptural quotation ..have it
- talks about Holy and unholy people if you are unholy that means you are defiled.
is this Malachi or wat?
sorry not a Roman Catholic
- how does this scripture concern this topic?
- before Christ there was no redemption for man, men was not connected with God. And that is what his death did for us, connecting us back to Almighty. the spirit of death has been holding righteous men captive, but Christ swallowed up death in victory and took the key of grave. so that saints and righteous men shall be connected back to God.

GOD BLESS ALL
Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 6:27pm On Feb 21, 2016
Amberon:
are you kidding me?? pls where is the purgatory in that verse? is this how much the gospel of Jesus Christ has been perverted?
& where is d word trinity or Godhead mentioned in the Bible. Y do u believe in d trinity if it's nt mentioned in d bible?
Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2016
yazz09 post. =43127938:

- talks about Holy and unholy people if you are unholy that means you are defiled.
is this Malachi or wat?
sorry not a Roman Catholic
- how does this scripture concern this topic?
- before Christ there was no redemption for man, men was not connected with God. And that is what his death did for us, connecting us back to Almighty. the spirit of death has been holding righteous men captive, but Christ swallowed up death in victory and took the key of grave. so that saints and righteous men shall be connected back to God.

GOD BLESS ALL
It 1 of d book of Maccabees. Found in d apocryphal books of D bible. What u pple called d Catholic bible. Read 1cor 3:10-15.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by Amberon: 6:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lmao, thats a very weak point. Okay for the sake of this argument, lets say the word "Trinity" doesn't exist. So yeah, Trinity is inexistent too but we all still know that God exists in three entities: father, son and holy spirit.

Now Tell Me again, where did the bible talk about a temporary Place of punishment where sinners pay for their sins and after that go to heaven?
gemale:

& where is d word trinity or Godhead mentioned in the Bible. Y do u believe in d trinity if it's nt mentioned in d bible?
Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
yazz09:
So d waters of baptism doesn't also wash away sins ryt?
Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 6:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
Amberon:
Lmao, thats a very weak point. Okay for the sake of this argument, lets say the word "Trinity" doesn't exist. So yeah, Trinity is inexistent too but we all still know that God exists in three entities: father, son and holy spirit.

Now Tell Me again, where did the bible talk about a temporary Place of punishment where sinners pay for their sins and after that go to heaven?
Did u @ all read d bible verses I gave u? Especially chapter 15, when d person shall b saved by fire... Which fire did St Paul mean? D fire of hell? Purgatory is more of a state Dan a place where d fire of God's love purges those unnoticed blemishes dt wldnt grant us access 2 heaven even though we truly believe in Jesus. No mata hw perfect a man seems, he still offends God. After all didn't scripture say our righteousness is as filthy rags b4 God? So if we unknowingly offend God & we don't confess those sins because dey r unknown 2 us, does it erase d fact dt we have sinned b4 God? & u know dt nothing imperfect can enter heaven.

Re: Proof About Purgatory by Amberon: 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
I almost Read the whole chapter Sir, and No, purgatory doesn't exist.
gemale:

Did u @ all read d bible verses I gave u? Especially chapter 15, when d person shall b saved by fire... Which fire did St Paul mean? D fire of hell? Purgatory is more of a state Dan a place where d fire of God's love purges those unnoticed blemishes dt wldnt grant us access 2 heaven even though we truly believe in Jesus. No mata hw perfect a man seems, he still offends God. After all didn't scripture say our righteousness is as filthy rags b4 God? So if we unknowingly offend God & we don't confess those sins because dey r unknown 2 us, does it erase d fact dt we have sinned b4 God? & u know dt nothing imperfect can enter heaven.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by acooriz(m): 9:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
People of god...as referred by the magisterium ..purgatory as it stands just like st paul said would be a cleansing or testing of those ...so that they look like dey are tested by fire
Re: Proof About Purgatory by yazz09(m): 10:14pm On Feb 21, 2016
gemale:

So d waters of baptism doesn't also wash away sins ryt?

my brother the only thing that washes away our sins is only the blood of Jesus. Nothing else.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by gemale(m): 10:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
yazz09:

my brother the only thing that washes away our sins is only the blood of Jesus. Nothing else.

then baptism is useless abi? what is d symbolism of d blood & water dt flowed 4rm d side of jesus when He was pierced with a lance?
Re: Proof About Purgatory by yazz09(m): 12:28am On Feb 22, 2016
gemale:

then baptism is useless abi? what is d symbolism of d blood & water dt flowed 4rm d side of jesus when He was pierced with a lance?

baptism can never be useless. Remember what John the Baptist said: Jesus will baptise us with Holy Ghost and with Power. So the water baptism is just symbolic, and also mind you water in the context you mentioned is the word of God (Bible). and what is baptism, it's immersion, been totally covered. so in actual sense be immersed in the word of God and in the blood of Jesus Christ.

that's true baptism, not the religious one been done today that most people don't even understand.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by luckyCO(m): 8:31am On Feb 22, 2016
I believe purgatory exist but here on earth not when you die,it means purgation since process of purgation is done on earth only until you appear as a chase virgin,without wrincles or spot.

Rome added that to give people false impression about Gods judgement that man has right to interfer after death such that u will be perpertually attached to rome since after death mass held can still save you.

The book 1 peter you qouted was speaking about eternal security which Christ used parable of 10 virgins of 5 foolish to explain.
Noah requested that people should repent and enter the boat,some repented by refused to enter the boat because they hv not heard of anything rain before.

Samething like that will happen to people before rapture, God will send a kind of Gospel that is bible based but many born again Christians will ignore it but they will be saved later after tribulation by their blood just like naoh's.
God bless you
Re: Proof About Purgatory by uhuns: 10:26am On Feb 22, 2016
to support the claim, here is my take

.............Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water (1 Peter 3:18-20).

my question to the unbeliever.......

who were the 8 people, that were saved.

time space btw Jesus and naoh is about 150yr... true/false.

why do people say rip when since, judgement is past.
Re: Proof About Purgatory by Scholar8200(m): 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
gemale:

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:20
Re: Proof About Purgatory by Scholar8200(m): 2:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
acooriz:
People of god...as referred by the magisterium ..purgatory as it stands just like st paul said would be a cleansing or testing of those ...so that they look like dey are tested by fire
Paul's context was the bema/judgement seat of Christ concerned with reward for works rendered for Christ on earth not purging from sin.

(1) (Reply)

How Pastors Are Misleading Singles In Marriage / Are Muslims Permitted To Lie? / God, Evil And The Epicurean Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.