Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers (30244 Views)

Chicken Consumers Flay Increased Processing Charges / Multichoice-nigeria-concedes-to-Consumer Protection Council / Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by thefakestan: 8:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
Sweet news

ThefakeStan
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Tunechi1(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2016
Abeg what of when rain dey fall and connection dey run away
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Taku555(m): 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
I will subscribe once again in two years if truly executed
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by XaintJoel20: 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
The question should be: will DSTV adhere to these instruction? DSTV: exploiting Nigerians since the days of King Jaja of Opobo...
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by guass(m): 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
AfroKnight:
Wow. The CPC is in sync with the citizens. Amazing.
Talku talku
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by gbigbega: 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
do people still use multi choice? I have left my DSTV to the dust for a while now. I looked at the money I am wasting subscribing for channels I hardly watch and I decided its no use so I dumped by Explorer with Extra view- I don port o. My Startimes is representing well and I don't even need to spend much at all.

I can see DSTV loosing the Nigerian market soon because of their cost and stringent service delivery.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Naledi14(f): 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
Think all south african companies should pack out of that country because seemsvlike they are after us big time. By the way thats how dstv operates in its own home country. If you want to watch free to air channels from your country unplug dstv connect ariel and watch. Free us jare!!!
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by samokofafrica(m): 8:37pm On Feb 21, 2016
This is a welcome development. I think the CPC has wake up from slumber. How can Multichoice extort us like that?

CPC should closely monitor the activities of Dstv towards their customers. Thanks to the director of cpc.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by hamingra: 8:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
nickxtra:
The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has ordered MultiChoice Nigeria Limited in the provision of its Digital Satellite Broadcast Television (DStv) to compensate consumers within 90 days and introduce toll-free lines to them, following confirmation of its investigations on allegations of violations of consumer rights. Consequently, the Council in Abuja yesterday directed DStv to release of free-to-air channels, even when subscription expires; compensation consumers across board for lost viewing time and reasonable equitable spread of popular sports channels, among others. Director General of CPC, Mrs. Dupe Atoki, expressed optimism that compliance with these reforms would bring about a new dawn for Nigerian consumers, who would henceforth enjoy value for money in their engagement with the company. Atoki reiterated the Council’s commitment towards sanitising the nation’s market-place for the benefit of consumers, assuring that no stone would be left un-turned to ensure it is no longer business as usual and shoddy service delivery becomes a thing of the past in the country. According to her, “During the course of our investigations, the Council observed that the company’s billing system, whereby “billing is not contemporaneous with the provision of service” was not in the best interest of consumers and therefore ordered MultiChoice to install a billing system that ensures billing starts with the provision of service” She said that the pay-television company was also ordered to within 90 days provide across board compensation to its subscribers, considering the fact that many of them have over time lost legitimate and paid viewing time by its conduct of not restoring service contemporaneously after payment as well as other instances of disruptions. MultiChoice was ordered to keep local and free-to-air channels open so that subscribers would have the opportunity of watching these channels, even when their subscriptions have expired. DSTv was also instructed to present written assurances in line with Section 10 of the Council’s enabling law that it will not engage in any conduct which is detrimental to the interest of consumers. In the same vein, the company shall for 18 months from the date of the orders, subject its processes to the Council’s inspection to ensure compliance with the directives contained in the orders. Similarly, the company was also directed by CPC to within 180 days adopt a “technology that supports suspension of service when subscribers are otherwise unable to enjoy their service on account of being away for a limited period of time”, provided such a request for suspension of service is done for a period of between 7 to 14 days and not more than twice in a year with a 72-hour notice to MultiChoice. On non-availability of popular channels in certain bouquets, the Council ordered the firm to within 90 days ensure “a reasonably equitable spread of popular sports and other channels hitherto concentrated in its premium bouquet over all available bouquets”. In order to aid easy and fast access to the company by subscribers who wish to make complaints or enquiries, CPC directed MultiChoice not only to maintain local toll-free telephone access lines for its call centres, but should also ensure the call centres operate for longer hours during public holidays and weekends. MultiChoice was also directed to formulate within 90 days a written compensation policy which should “outline amongst other things, the procedure for compensating subscribers for injury they suffer on account of MultiChoice conduct and take into consideration not just viewing time lost, but inconveniences suffered by subscribers”. The Council further directed MultiChoice to “develop a Customer Care Manual which shall contain mechanisms to address customer complaints in an accurate, friendly, timely, efficient, courteous and honest manner”. It was also directed to ensure that the list of all its accredited dealers and installers and their details be freely given to its customers at the point of subscription and also made available on its website and other information channels. In addition, the pay-media company is not only to ensure these accredited dealers and installers carry certified means of identification issued by it, subscribers must also be periodically educated on the means of identification, while it should also reasonably and adequately compensate subscribers where they experience loss of signal on account of faulty, poor or unprofessional installation by agents of MultiChoice. On the pay-television firm’s agreements with its subscribers, the Council disclosed that several provisions of the Service Level Agreement and the Terms and Conditions of Subscription signed on by subscribers were found to be grossly unfair, unjust and one-sided, directing that such provisions should be expunged, re-drafted and submitted to the

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/cpc-confirms-dstv-violates-consumers-rights-orders-90days-ultimatum-for-compensation-toll-free-lines/

It seems the poor economy of Nigeria is making all our agencies EYES to red! Abeg if this is what will keep happening, then more of BUHARINOMICS please!

1 Like

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by praise007: 8:46pm On Feb 21, 2016
where is HITV .
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Jckleiin(m): 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
basisop:
They will go to court, bribe a corrupt judge and judgement will be given in their favour, then it is business as usual.
lemme buy u a drink bro, well said.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
basisop:
They will go to court, bribe a corrupt judge and judgement will be given in their favour, then it is business as usual.

You are right now, they will hire a "Ricky Tarfa" for that purpose who will send #225,000 to the judge for the birthday of his one year old grandson.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
electron:
CPC needs to study the DSTV technology. With th current decoders, itis not possible. The decoders can only receive signal, it cannot send out signal.,Only toll free number achievable.
What of local channel isn't free too?
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by nokingasgod: 8:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
Before we all get carried away by the CPC orders, think its better we reviewed critically the content and see if they could stand in the courts of law.

I agree with most of the pronouncements but i found two of them not realistic and they are;

i. DSTV to make available to lower bouquet all sports channels hitherto exclusive to the premium bouquet. It shows CPC lacks full understanding of pricing strategy. The order is arbitrary and may not hold in any law court. CPC may as well order Blackberry to make available all functions and features on its Porsche to the Curve model.

ii. All free to air channels on DSTV must remain open even after expiration of the subscription. I would really have loved this but from commercial point of view i know it may not be possible because the free to air channels are being received via an implement (decoder) provided by DSTV which attracts a fee. Perhaps, CPC may have advised DSTV to evolve a way of exacting a token for these before subscription renewal.

The bottom-line is, this is an open market and there are competition. Arbitrariness will not do us any good at the long run. Why cant we have a local brand good enough to make DSTV run for its money. HiTV was going to do that until they committed suicide. Daarsat is a joke, ACTV is neither here nor there. DSTV will continue the monopoly until there is credible competition. Remember, it took Glo to start per seconds billing before MTN, that had stated categorically that it was not possible, was now forced by competition to adopt it

Aint nothing like the real thing, like they used to say. As it is in Nigeria today, DSTV is the real thing and it may be so sad and unfortunate, but we have to live with it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by viktagorion: 9:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
bettercreature:
You are a genius!
Not again! This is a government of CHANGE!

The days of impunity are over.

They had better comply or face the consequences.

Watch this space.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by nickxtra(m): 9:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
praise007:
where is HITV .
Dead nd buried for long, no thanks to the monopolistic tendencies of Multi Choice
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by habsydiamond(m): 9:15pm On Feb 21, 2016
Let send them packing from our country. They are treating us anyhow charge us anyhow. I pray someone can bring in a beta cable tv and let Dstv gerrara here men.
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2016
basisop:

Yesterday, yes. But today that is becoming an uphill task. Tarfa and his 90something SANs sure know better!
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by eLcastro(m): 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wen dem go c diz CANtv pipo own...dia own anyday dem lyk dem giv u signal if dem no lyk no signal..ur 30dayz reach "ippt unauthorised"..if u no lyk go court
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by papparatzzi2013: 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
Where were all these useless bodies during the days of the Drunken Master of Otuoke?

From EFCC to NCC to CPC!!!
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Angrymode: 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2016
Eeeeenh!!!!!! This should also apply to data and bonus credits of all mobile networks!!!!!!
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by illuminaty(m): 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
Please,customer care should e toll free....the money I spend on customer care if I have issues with my decoder is outrageous
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by antosly(m): 9:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
This's exactly wat ncc would av done to mtn not a fine that av finally turn dem to looters, wic every mtn subscribers are nw forcefully subscribing to every plan under a must so as to enable dem pay dey fine

1 Like

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by bigtt76(f): 10:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Yea as usual they will show up with 30 hungry SANs to defend them tongue

basisop:
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Kx: 10:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
Taku555:
I will subscribe once again in two years if truly executed

Good to know I am not alone

1 Like

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by OpinionCounts(m): 10:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
odiereke:
Nice move. They are really taking us for granted.

DSTV never took you for granted, it is your country and its failed/corrupt and incompetent institutions that took you for granted. Note that DSTV does not operate only in Nigeria, so why are all the rubbish they do here not done in other countries as well? Remember the saying that "how you make your bed is how you will lye on it". Any time you find any company, industry etc maltreating you, do not be angry with the company rather be angry at your country that has given them that room for misbehaviour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by babajay69: 10:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
It's about time CPC. DSTv have been taking consumers for granted in this country simply because they believe that the Govt won't do anything to protect her citizens.
In South Africa they wouldn't dare do what they're doing in Nigeria.
(1) Removing channels at will.
(2) Channels disappearing for days without any explanation or compensation.
(3) Cutting off a subscriber 6am on your expiration day not withstanding when you paid your subscription.
The CPC should focus their attention to Gotv as well. A lot more people use this product and are being cheated terribly.
They should force multichoice to install a pay per view format that makes you pay only for what you view.
It is done in SA so it should be practised here.

1 Like

Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by babajay69: 10:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
It's about time CPC. DSTv have been taking consumers for granted in this country simply because they believe that the Govt won't do anything to protect her citizens.
In South Africa they wouldn't dare do what they're doing in Nigeria.
(1) Removing channels at will.
(2) Channels disappearing for days without any explanation or compensation.
(3) Cutting off a subscriber 6am on your expiration day not withstanding when you paid your subscription.
The CPC should focus their attention to Gotv as well. A lot more people use this product and are being cheated terribly.
They should force multichoice to install a pay per view format that makes you pay only for what you view.
It is done in SA so it should be practised here.
asuustrike2009:

What of local channel isn't free too?

You are very correct
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by ogunleye557(m): 10:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
fitzk:
This is long over due...unfortunately, our legislators are corrupt...the men on the benches too are corrupt...
since our hitv was abandoned, I knew dstv will do sth of such
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by Ambi25: 10:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
Chai! DSTV God dey oh!! The cheating must stop
Re: Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers by mustmust(m): 11:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
It seems a lot of guys don't understand what is meant by an order of the Council. All these people saying they won't comply just wait and see. I spoke with a lady trying to obtain dstv dealership today and she said they are already working on changing their billing system as we speak. The same order of Council forced mtn to pay the guy promo guy the balance of about 1.8m.the DG knows her onions well. Let's watch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Dumb Habits That Are Keeping You In Debts / FBI List: EFCC Goes After Bankers, BDC Operators Aiding Cybercriminals / Pictures Of The Commissioning Of Enyimba Mall, Aba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.