Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,041 members, 7,835,506 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed (11652 Views)

'I Won't Devalue The Naira' - President Buhari Insists / 'I Won't Devalue The Naira' - President Buhari Insists / “I Won’t Kill The Naira” President Buhari Reject Devaluation Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by seunmsg(m): 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
Elosky20:

he is good in politics, bt nt an economist

Don't mind him. When Jonathan was squandering the country's dollar reserves on his election last year, he was here supporting him. Now that we are paying for GEJ's recklessness, he's here again trying to shift the blame away from the real culprit.

12 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by seunmsg(m): 8:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by Elosky20: 8:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:

It is obvious.
he forgot to mention that in 2008 our foreign reserve was $64.8 bilion, bt in 2016 it is $28.8 bilion, the govt used it to defend the naira then.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/2007-2012-movement-in-foreign-reserves-account/138991/

10 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 8:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
Elosky20:

he forgot to mention that in 2008 our foreign reserve was $64.8 bilion, bt in 2016 it is $28.8 bilion, the govt used it to defend the naira then.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/2007-2012-movement-in-foreign-reserves-account/138991/

Lalasticlala, Mynd44 food is here o

4 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by DeLaRue: 9:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Op said, for a while, he restrained himself from commenting on the present economic situation.

Given the nonsense he wrote above, he should have listened to his inner counsel and kept mum.

Iraq: "If, as projected, global oil prices remain at historic lows, Iraq will be unable to pay some of its civil servants, or honour pledges to build roads and power stations in the next financial year." Guardian UK Friday 19 February 2016 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/19/post-war-iraq-corruption-oil-prices-revenues

Venezuela: Country with the largest proven oil reserve, even larger than Saudi, now has the world's highest rate of inflation and the worst performing economy in the world. Just last week, the govt increased price of petrol by more than 2000% Infact look here to see people queing for food. BBC 20 February 2016 http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35622188

Saudi Arabia - has spent more than $150 billion dollars propping up its economy just in the last 9 months. If oil prices remain low and the country continues spending at this rate, Saudi Arabia will run out of money around 2020. This is a country that had over $800 billion in reserves. Nigeria has just $30 billion.

Russia nko? - situation is so bad, the rubble has lost so much value.

If anything, of all the large oil producing countries who depend solely or almost solely on oil money, Nigeria has fared somewhat better.

Get this again, Venezuela's proven reserves is more than 10 times Nigeria's, yet as I type, they cant find basic stuffs like pampers, milk, soap to buy in the shops.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by Elosky20: 9:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
Emekamex:
If I were president, this is what I will be doing now;

(1) INDEPENDENCE OF STATES ON FG
-Each state should set up large hectares of lands for agriculture. Each should cultivate crops adaptable to their climate and weather eg cocoa to the west, onions and groundnut to the north, cassava and palm kernel to the east etc.
-By setting up huge farms, the problem of unemployment to an extent will be reduced by employing jobless youths.
-Each state should also set up a unique industry capable of transforming resources within them into wealth eg kaduna state could set up textile industries that can use cultivated cotton found within its reach and transforming to marketable finished products.
-States should also go into mining the vast mineral resources abandoned by previous governments and converting them to incomes for the states.

(2) MORE INVESTMENT INTO RENEWABLE ENERGY
-More investments should be made in renewable energy by building more dams. The Kainji dam has been a consistent supplier of about 800MW of power on a daily basis. If more dams of the same or greater power capacity can be constructed in areas near the ocean or water like Lagos, Bayelsa, Rivers etc, the power sector will improve dramatically. The advantages of dams to gas plants in use nowadys is its consistency and reliability. Gas plants rely heavily on gas supply from pipelines, which over the years have been consistently vandalized. If funds used by previous administrations to set up these disappointing gas plants were invested in more dams, the power situation would have been more positive.

(3) MAKE GOVT POSITIONS LESS ATTRACTIVE
-The constitution should be amended in a way that government officials don't have a direct access to state treasury. By doing this, people going into politics to get rich will be greatly discouraged.
-The salaries and entitlements of legislators should be drastically reduced in line with the minimum wages of nigerians. At present their salaries are 275 times higher than the minimum wage.

(4) INVESTMENTS IN REFINERIES
More refineries should be setup, if possible each state having at least one. This will reduce the power of the cabals and oil marketers who have over the years caused nigerians unbearable hardships.

You forgot to mention that another name for democracy in Nigeria is CORRUPTION.
that is why the refineries in nigeria were built under the military regime.
Only the senate will frustrate this ur agenda in this our fake democracy.

3 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 9:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
DeLaRue:
Op said, for a while, he restrained himself from commenting on the present economic situation.

Given the nonsense he wrote above, he should have listened to his inner counsel and keep mum.

Chei! You are wicked o.

I think we need to discuss this thread in depth. There are many lessons on it and why we need to understand economic fundamentals.

cc: Obinoscopy, Modath, PRYCE, dearpreye, Firefire, omenka, phockphockman, engineerboat, obailala, Obiagelli, ecoterrorism

4 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by Sibrah: 9:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
Emekamex:
If I were president, this is what I will be doing now;

(1) INDEPENDENCE OF STATES ON FG
-Each state should set up large hectares of lands for agriculture. Each should cultivate crops adaptable to their climate and weather eg cocoa to the west, onions and groundnut to the north, cassava and palm kernel to the east etc.
-By setting up huge farms, the problem of unemployment to an extent will be reduced by employing jobless youths.
-Each state should also set up a unique industry capable of transforming resources within them into wealth eg kaduna state could set up textile industries that can use cultivated cotton found within its reach and transforming to marketable finished products.
-States should also go into mining the vast mineral resources abandoned by previous governments and converting them to incomes for the states.

(2) MORE INVESTMENT INTO RENEWABLE ENERGY
-More investments should be made in renewable energy by building more dams. The Kainji dam has been a consistent supplier of about 800MW of power on a daily basis. If more dams of the same or greater power capacity can be constructed in areas near the ocean or water like Lagos, Bayelsa, Rivers etc, the power sector will improve dramatically. The advantages of dams to gas plants in use nowadys is its consistency and reliability. Gas plants rely heavily on gas supply from pipelines, which over the years have been consistently vandalized. If funds used by previous administrations to set up these disappointing gas plants were invested in more dams, the power situation would have been more positive.

(3) MAKE GOVT POSITIONS LESS ATTRACTIVE
-The constitution should be amended in a way that government officials don't have a direct access to state treasury. By doing this, people going into politics to get rich will be greatly discouraged.
-The salaries and entitlements of legislators should be drastically reduced in line with the minimum wages of nigerians. At present their salaries are 275 times higher than the minimum wage.

(4) INVESTMENTS IN REFINERIES
More refineries should be setup, if possible each state having at least one. This will reduce the power of the cabals and oil marketers who have over the years caused nigerians unbearable hardships.

Wisdom in simple terms. Your head dey there bros.

3 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by DeLaRue: 9:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
Had Buhari kept financing the reckless dollar demands of the selfish import-everything-on-planet-earth gang, by now the $30 billion dollars or so that Jonathan left will be down to about $10 billion. And by the end of 2016, we will run out of money. The IMF, United Nations, World Bank will have to call an urgent meeting in Geneva or another foreign outpost to discuss how to rescue Nigeria.

This is the reality that some of these people just dont realise.

Buhari can't print dollars. The little the country has, he is trying to preserve for the most essential imports. Yes, it is a pain to bear, but it is better than the alternative.

We just have to bear the pain and hope oil price recover a bit, may be to around $55 in the near term.

There is no miracle. People in Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Russia know it. But some Nigerians refuse to smell the coffee.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by DeLaRue: 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
I went to shoprite the other day, and as usual I walked down almost all the ailes obeserving where products are from.

Can you believe that more than 95% of non-food items you see in shoprite are imported.

Even food items - a big chunk is imported.

And you expect Buhari to fund Shop rite's addiction to importation of nonsense.

Let shop rite and the other lazy importers keep buying dollars in the black market and destroy the naira.

It will get to a point where non of us will be able to buy the over inflated imported goods[/b], most of which we can do without anyway.

Once no one is buying, they will look to local suppliers. Let's bear the naira pain for now.

Buhari must not yield.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 9:26pm On Feb 21, 2016
The one that's gets at me the most is to see imported palm oil.

Even that popular packaged burger (ground) nuts is made in Ghana as at the last time I checked.

There is nothing wrong with foreigners doing business in Nigeria but the preponderance of import even with common products is a no no.

7 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by kayfra: 9:28pm On Feb 21, 2016
Yyeske:
Please try educate the OP better, so amazed at the nonsense he wrote up there. He never said anything about the increase in imports and reduction of our exports, not saying anything about our not having any buffers to cushion this melt down, increase in our population and reduction in income was not addressed by him. Educate him more.

Thank God for people like you and the other dude. You didn't put your education to waste.

We spent over $20 billion dollars defending the last oil slump (great recession), this was money saved by OBJ and Yaradua. With the windfall, the President Jonathan went on a looting spree and Nigerians joined him in the merriment by consuming every imported good imaginable. China essentially turned our country into a refuse dump. Dumping all sorts of substandard imports and making importers rich in the process. Balance of trade is now in the tank, we have absolutely nothing of value to export unless we take drastic steps with mid to long term results.

We lost every trace of nascent industries and now have to get back to our farms.

10 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by kahal29: 9:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Since late 2015 I deliberately barred myself from making any commentary on the state of the naira in particular, and the economy in general despite watching things move from bad to worse. I had reasoned that it was best to observe things in silence and take note of development. Though my silence was interpreted by some of being sympathetic to President Buhari and a "ploy" to return to APC, I still maintained mute, focusing on other aspect of the economy.

Firstly, Crude Oil Slump Not Responsible For Naira Fall
We are all aware that our own currency, the Naira now trade at N403 to the Dollar($). Contrary to the notion that the fall in oil price is responsible for Naira collapse, the painful truth is that the massive fall of the Naira has nothing to do with oil price. If it was, the Naira would have traded at N20 per $1 when crude oil was selling at $120 per barrel in 2012. If the fall in oil price was the cause, the Naira would have fallen to N500 to the Dollar in December 2008 and February 2009 when oil price slumped to $30 per barrel from $147 that it sold in July 2008(but instead the Naira exchanged at N140-N145 to $1). If the Naira didn't fall so fast when crude oil price slumped in mid 2008, if the Naira didn't experience huge growth when the price of crude was at $120 per barrel in 2012, why then should we ascribe the astronomic fall of the naira to crude oil slump in price?

What Is Responsible For Naira Astronomical Fall?
If the oil price isn't responsible for the slump of the Naira from N225/$ in August 2015 to N403/$ in February 2016? Godwin Emefielle and Buhari administration are responsible. I will explain...

Why CBN Gov Emefielle/Buhari Administration?
Recall that sometime in July and August 2015 the CBN Governor Godwin Emefielle introduced a policy in which the apex bank stopped receiving foreign currency from commercial banks. This action prompted commercial banks to stop accepting dollar deposit because their vault was full and they couldn't accept more. The CBN reason was to "stop dollar flow in the economy". As at that time, people started looking for every means to trade-off the dollar while BDCs(Bureau de Change) were looking for every means to dispose the dollar at their disposal. Because the banks were unwilling to accept more dollar, the BDC were seeking to dispose the dollar at their disposal, while holders of the dollar were desperate to exchange to naira, an "artificial" surplus of the dollar was created, and an artificial "naira appreciation" was created. In fact, the naira even fell to N213 at a point to the Dollar and was celebrated by supporters of the government as a "feat".
www.allafrica.com/stories/201508041248.html

However, I warned that the CBN's policy of creating artificial "appreciation" and false picture of "increased reserve" was not worth celebrating in my August 4, 2015 piece titled Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not
Celebrate
. In fact, I warned that the effect of the policy will be disastrous and will put our naira/economy to be in worse state that it was in the beginning. I never minced words when I predicted that...

What we are experiencing today is as a result of the skewed policy of CBN under Emefielle and President Buhari. The dollar has become scarce commodity, hence, the rise in price. This is the situation I warned the government against just six months ago. Our dollar wouldn't have been trading at anything close to N270/$ if the government and CBN had not tried to use the short-cut.

The Way Forward...
The truth is that the naira is already down and there isn't wisdom in trying to defend what is already down. The CBN should stop tinkering on the Naira but allow market forces do the job. The government should give funds to manufacturers in form of a loan and fix economic infrastructures so as to encourage local production. High taxes should be placed on imported goods that we could produce locally to give competitive advantage to the locals. There should be quality control so as to encourage quality goods and services to be produced in the economy. These will not only cause for less demand of the naira but will also have positive effect on our gross domestic product and tackle the rising inflation.

President Buhari and CBN Governor Emefielle have ruined the Naira. Time for them to go back to the drawing board and do what is right.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

Barca my brother you are wrong on this one. I will enlighten you alittle. The problem of the naira today is because the demand for dollars exceed the supply of dollars. NIGERIA as country does not print dollars but naira. The only way it earns dollars is through exports and what do we export? OIL....... which means if anything happens to this product we are in a deep mess. Now because the price of oil has fallen over the months, it now affected our supply side of the foreign exchange market thereby creating a situation of excess demand. In economics, once demand is greater than supply, price will automatically go up. This is what is happening to our naira. The only source of our foreign exchange with which we use to meet the demand for it is in crisis as a result of our mono economy. Thus we don't have enough supply to meet our demand for it and what is causing this excess demand..... Over Importation. When you export you earn foreign exchange which boost your SUPPLY side of foreign exchange however when you import (Demand) you spend foreign exchange which weakens your supply side. This means excessive demand occasioned by over Importation weakens your currency especially when you don't have enough supply to match Demand.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by kayfra: 9:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:
The one that's gets at me the most is to see imported palm oil.

Even that popular packaged burger (ground) nuts is made in Ghana as at the last time I checked.

There is nothing wrong with foreigners doing business in Nigeria but the preponderance of import even for coming products is a no no.

We even import Garri from Benin republic and we are the biggest producer of cassava.

8 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by DeLaRue: 9:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
Kazakhstan - the poster child of glutonous oil spending, the richest country in Central Asia is on its knees now.

According to Al Jazeera, "Many struggling to make ends meet in main city of Central Asian nation whose economy is heavily dependent on oil." http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/global-oil-glut-leaves-kazakhstan-reeling-160204150626887.html

Their currency has fallen sharply, and the government recently cut their budget by 40%!

If Buhari cuts Nigeria's budget by 40%, all hell will break loose with PDP and misinformed youths calling for arms to fight the 'dictator.'

Btw, 40% reduction in Nigeria's budget will cause near - mass starvation of a sizable portion of the Nigerian population.

9 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by engineerboat(m): 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
@Barcanista, the most annoying thing is that PMB keeps appointing different kinds of media aids, SA, SSSA, PA, etc without any economic adisers, this goes to show the direction they are going, looking for every means to sustain their propagande whether the economy grow or not.
If they are actually recovering looted money which we are support, why dont this government channel this funds to simething profitable and worthwhile.

What is the benefits of so-so money have been return, just keeping it somewhere where some advanced-latest-modernized yam eaters will feast on it.

#babawhileyoutraveltosaudi Our economy if bleeding for help, our nairal is galling
Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 9:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
DeLaRue:
Kazakhstan - the postal child of glutonous oil spending, the richest country in Central Asia is on its knees now.

According to Al Jazeera, "Many struggling to make ends meet in main city of Central Asian nation whose economy is heavily dependent on oil." http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/global-oil-glut-leaves-kazakhstan-reeling-160204150626887.html

Their currency has fallen sharply, and the government recently cut their budget by 40%!

If Buhari cuts Nigeria's budget by 40%, all hell will break loose with PDP and misinformed youths calling for arms to fight the 'dictator.'

Btw, 40% reduction in Nigeria's budget will cause near - mass starvation of a sizable portion of the Nigerian population.

Please if you have got the time, create a well researched and concise thread listing oil dependent national economies that are suffering from the current oil glut. It will enlighten a lot of us.

I didn't know about Kazakhstan's troubles. You see am?

6 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by DeLaRue: 9:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
Interesting, after 'viewing' all the responses, the Op has ran away refusing to contribute and defend his write-up.

I have been seeing a lot of nonsense on this 'falling naira' thing for the past months, but the huge task of educating politically-indoctrinated, follow-follow people kept me from taking up the challenge.

Tonite that I have a bit of time on me, the Op does not appear willing to debate.

10 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
E be like say OP done disappear.

Tonyebarcanista, come and enlighten your followers by admitting you made a mistake in judgement.

It can happen to any of us.

7 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by engineerboat(m): 9:54pm On Feb 21, 2016
kahal29:

Barca my brother you are wrong on this one. I will enlighten you alittle. The problem of the naira today is because the demand for dollars exceed the supply of dollars. NIGERIA as country does not print dollars but naira. The only way it earns dollars is through exports and what do we export? OIL....... which means if anything happens to this product we are in a deep mess. Now because the price of oil has fallen over the months, it now affected our supply side of the foreign exchange market thereby creating a situation of excess demand. In economics, once demand is greater than supply, price will automatically go up. This is what is happening to our naira. The only source of our foreign exchange with which we use to meet the demand for it is in crisis as a result of our mono economy. Thus we don't have enough supply to meet our demand for it and what is causing this excess demand..... Over Importation. When you export you earn foreign exchange which boost your SUPPLY side of foreign exchange however when you import (Demand) you spend foreign exchange which weakens your supply side. This means excessive demand occasioned by over Importation weakens your currency especially when you don't have enough supply to match Demand.

Man you are still saying the same thing with Barcanista.
'impose large tax on inported goods where alterntive substitute can be found in Nigeria, then encourage good local production,
and find a means of each state developing their local products for export, south-west cocoa, cassava, etc, middle-belt; rice, etc; north; groundnut, millet, water melon.

#PMBenoughoftravelling, its time to seat down and work, salvage the economy.

1 Like

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by chinchum(m): 9:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
Elosky20:

offcourse he missed that point, also the crash in oil price in 2008 didnt stay long, before it went back up, just about 6 months continuos decline before it went back up. The current decline has been on for over 19 freaking months. from july 2014

7 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by engineerboat(m): 9:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
DeLaRue:
Interesting, after 'viewing' all the responses, the Op has ran away refusing to contribute and defend his write-up.

I have been seeing a lot of nonsense on this 'falling naira' thing for the past months, but the huge task of educating politically-indoctrinated, follow-follow people kept me from taking up the challenge.

Tonite that I have a bit of time on me, the Op does not appear willing to debate.

what did you have to say on the falling naira,
what effort is PMB taking to salvage the fallen and keep fallen naira,
what is the government doing to difersify our evonomy and boost home-made which will equally lead to exporting and thereby encouraging the naira
Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by SegunAdewole: 9:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
Where is egift sef? He doesn't shout much again. No more money to buy data? Una go hear wehhn for this dullardistic administration. Kikkikiki!
Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by kahal29: 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:
E be like say OP done disappear.

Tonyebarcanista, come and enlighten your followers by admitting you made a mistake in judgement.

It can happen to any of us.

I think so Ooooo cos he decided to dabble into matters he didn't have much understanding.

5 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by Yyeske(m): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

1. Shagari lost power through coup and even won re-election. It has nothing to do with oil slump.

2. IBB lost power through demand for democracy. In fact, after devaluating the Naira through SAP, he squandered whatever came of it. It has nothing to do with oil slump.

3. GEJ lost power because people were fed up with his handling of the economy. However, his government Deliberately devaluated Naira from 155 to 167 in 2014, and later to 199 in early 2015. However, the Open market rate didn't exceed 230/$. It has nothing to do with oil slump.

For the record, oil price crashed in 2008 December and 2009 February to $30pb without killing the Naira.

This astronomic fall has nothing to do with dollar...
Will you STFU, can you explain the the increase in population and decrease in imports today compared to then? Una no get brain sef? Our population wasn't up to 100 million in 2000but close to 180 million now. Why didn't the clueless GEJ save or diversify the economy ? God punish all of una supporting GEJ

8 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by wirinet(m): 10:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Since late 2015 I deliberately barred myself from making any commentary on the state of the naira in particular, and the economy in general despite watching things move from bad to worse. I had reasoned that it was best to observe things in silence and take note of development. Though my silence was interpreted by some of being sympathetic to President Buhari and a "ploy" to return to APC, I still maintained mute, focusing on other aspect of the economy.
As someone rightly mentioned you should continued observering the state of the naira and the economy in general in silence instead of coming out to make a fool of yourself. You have no idea of basic economic principles of demand and supply and the workings of the world economy.

Firstly, Crude Oil Slump Not Responsible For Naira Fall
We are all aware that our own currency, the Naira now trade at N403 to the Dollar($). Contrary to the notion that the fall in oil price is responsible for Naira collapse, the painful truth is that the massive fall of the Naira has nothing to do with oil price. If it was, the Naira would have traded at N20 per $1 when crude oil was selling at $120 per barrel in 2012. If the fall in oil price was the cause, the Naira would have fallen to N500 to the Dollar in December 2008 and February 2009 when oil price slumped to $30 per barrel from $147 that it sold in July 2008(but instead the Naira exchanged at N140-N145 to $1). If the Naira didn't fall so fast when crude oil price slumped in mid 2008, if the Naira didn't experience huge growth when the price of crude was at $120 per barrel in 2012, why then should we ascribe the astronomic fall of the naira to crude oil slump in price?
How can a person with even ssc level economy education say that the fall of the Naira has nothing to do with oil price. It is like saying the goods we import and consume has nothing to do with the amount of foreign currencies (mostly dollars) we earn. So where do the government get the dollars to sell to importers to import fuel and every other items we consume?
In the cases you sighted, how long was crude at those two extremes? I remember crude hitting $147 for just a single day and it was above $140 for not more than a week. Also during the slump of 2008, crude did not go below $30 for more than a couple of weeks, intact it did not fall below $40 for more than 2 months and it rebounded almost immediately to the 50s and 60s. So how do you expect a few weeks of extremely low or high prices to have immediate effect on the naira. Besides during the 2008 slump, Nigeria had enough dollar reserves to defend the naira.
Comparing to the current situation, crude prices had been consistently low for more than 6 months, our foreign reserves are very low, so how do you expect the government to defend the naira?

10 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
Elosky20:

but the immediate solution has always been to devalue the naira, just like venezuela did. bt then what happens in the future if we fail to diversify our economy nw will be far dangerous,
it can be likened to when Jonathan refused to repair to the spoilt refinery and instead decide to spend N1.2trillion naira yearly for subsidy, whereas this same amount is enough to build 5 new refinery.
We have been devalueing our naira frm N0.80 to $1 and nw we are in N197 to $1, nw tell me what good has it been to nigeria, we must balance our import and export and their is no option.
The argument I'm putting is that the artificial surplus of the dollar adversely affected the Naira and is hugely responsible for our present state of comatose.

1 Like

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 10:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lalasticlala no vex o... Na joke

That feeling when Lalasticlala is viewing your thread

tongue shocked

1 Like

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by kahal29: 10:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
engineerboat:

Man you are still saying the same thing with Barcanista.
'impose large tax on inported goods where alterntive substitute can be found in Nigeria, then encourage good local production,
and find a means of each state developing their local products for export, south-west cocoa, cassava, etc, middle-belt; rice, etc; north; groundnut, millet, water melon.

#PMBenoughoftravelling, its time to seat down and work, salvage the economy.

Not at all my broda. Am not saying the same thing wirh Barca. Read my post again i didn't talk about taxation only explained the economics and dynamics of exchange rate determination using demand and supply analysis. However I quite agree with you on the measures you listed to curb the excessive demand of forex and foreign made goods.

7 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by LRNZH(m): 10:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The argument I'm putting is that the artificial surplus of the dollar adversely affected the Naira and is hugely responsible for our present state of comatose.

Can you imagine?
Surplus dollars crashed the Naira.

SMH

11 Likes

Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
kahal29:

Again you fail to see the point!

You are in fact echoeing my position. The CBN is yet to devaluate the Naira but the state of the Naira is on a comatose due to scarcity of the dollar in the market. Read again..
Re: Astronomic Fall Of The Naira: President Buhari And Emefielle Should Be Blamed by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:

Can you imagine?
Surplus dollars crashed the Naira.

SMH
In case you don't know, there is scarcity of dollar in the market and it is hugely responsible for the naira comatose. What is responsible for this?
www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-18/naira-hits-new-low-on-black-market-as-dollar-scarcity-worsens

There is no need to be making noise for something you have bo idea about

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gov Ugwuanyi Pictured During Door-to-door Campaign / Coronavirus: FG May Reduce 2020 Budget By ₦1 Trillion / Loans: Ali Ndume Berates Buhari, Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.