Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. (27733 Views)

How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On / Who Is Behind Naira Slide? Abdulsamad Rabiu (BUA) And Ifeanyi Ubah Have Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by grandstar(m): 8:29pm On Feb 21, 2016
ok
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by D33VA(f): 8:32pm On Feb 21, 2016
The way everybody is now forming as if people where avoiding Nigerian goods cause of foolishness is now getting anoying.

I am a proud Nigerian, and i want my country to be great. I also want good value for my products and high safety standards ( the 'my pikin' drug saga still scares me where Nigerian drugs are concerned). A Lot of the makers of Nigerian products are looking out for money alone.

Ever boarded arik and been left waiting for over 5 hours with no xplanation or apology? bought a 'made in nigeria' meat pie with roaches? Or an aba dress that whose seams fall apart as soon as you leave the store and the store person insulting your lineage when you complain? What about aba electric fans that only work with pen prodding?

My point is, let us stop attacking Nigerian populace, we want value for our money. Rather direct all these to the nigerian companies so that they would produce quality products and weed out the fakes almost themselves, who no like betta?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by invisibleolly: 8:32pm On Feb 21, 2016
awesome analysis and enlightment
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Tpave(m): 8:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
ChappyChase:

Make we hear word!! You no read the news! So did I!
It's simply saying that naira is devastated because we patronise foreign goods a lot
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by grandstar(m): 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
Why is the naira weakening? Because of a reduction in export earnings. It was not caused by imports.

What then is the solution? Governmemt must revive exports. That is the solutio

Import substitution do not work..They encourage mediocrity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by viewflux(m): 8:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
OP; next time give credit to the original writer. you will still get the likes for sharing the information.

Francis Akenami posted in DELTA YOUTH SYNERGY FOR PROSPERITY - Change We Can Believe In.

I have changed my cream to Made in Nigeria Crame so that our industries will grow.

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Yomboy4ever(m): 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2016
MeloGistDotCom:
@OP you that you are preaching that nigeria should stop importing goods from foreign countries, what have you bought that is made in nigeria? The phone you used to post this, is it made in nigeria?

soro niyen? If dis is d only thing u can come up with then I am sorry For you..
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by pulsa(m): 8:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
coachwilcox:
Mr David Ahmed Okoro started the day early, having set his alarm clock (MADE IN FINLAND) for 6am. While his teapot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his clipper (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on his shirt (MADE IN THE UK), and designer jeans (MADE IN ITALY) and shoes (MADE IN THE USA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric cooker (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his wristwatch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to his radio (MADE IN VIETNAM) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled with petrol imported from (SAUDI ARABIA) and continued his search for a good paying NIGERIAN job...

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his computer (MADE IN MALAYSIA), Mr David Ahmed Okoro decided to relax for a while. He put on his slippers (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA), while fiddling with his mobile phone (MADE IN SOUTH KOREA), and then wondered why he cant find a good paying job in... NIGERIA.

He felt achy and sore in his left kneel, he decided to take one tablet of his TRAMADOL TABLETS (MADE IN BANGLADESH) to relieve the pain. Lying down on his bed and wondering why NIGERIAN External Foreign Reserve has depleted to under $ 28billion which has translated to free fall depreciation of Nigerian NAIRA to US DOLLAR at PARALLEL MARKET.......

Fellow Nigerians, let's us start producing, let us start buying made in NIGERIA goods If our economy is to grow and create better jobs.

How can a country like Nigeria be importing toothpick, cutting bud, cotton wool, matches, rubber band e.t.c? And we complain at d same time that there is no jobs for our teeming youths?

The situation is even pathetic now when you see Nigerians ( in Lagos) prefer Cotonou garri to that of Ijebu, buy cotonou pineapple and they say it is better than that of Nigeria. That is why frozen foods will be exported to Cotonou from farms like that of obasanjo repacked and imported back to Nigeria because they know Nigerians always prefer made in outside Nigeria goods .
That is why you will see an expatriate renumeration will be juicy than that of his Nigeria counterpart even if that Nigerian is more certificated than d expatriate ( This also happen in government parastatals).

Any nation that import majorly foreign made goods/ services rather than producing their own are hurting its people....

When we keep importing foreign made products into Nigeria, we keep importing poverty into our country and exporting jobs abroad...

Let's go back to the land to grow and patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products...

PLEASE SHARE FREELY TO ENLIGHTEN ALL NIGERIANS.

you changed his name and the detail of the article, Americans used it first.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by rossychik(f): 8:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
true talk..

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by sheubaba2013: 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
This is an opportunity to make it in 9ja if you are productive and creative.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Ghost447(m): 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
coachwilcox:
Mr David Ahmed Okoro started the day early, having set his alarm clock (MADE IN FINLAND) for 6am. While his teapot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his clipper (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on his shirt (MADE IN THE UK), and designer jeans (MADE IN ITALY) and shoes (MADE IN THE USA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric cooker (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his wristwatch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to his radio (MADE IN VIETNAM) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled with petrol imported from (SAUDI ARABIA) and continued his search for a good paying NIGERIAN job...

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his computer (MADE IN MALAYSIA), Mr David Ahmed Okoro decided to relax for a while. He put on his slippers (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA), while fiddling with his mobile phone (MADE IN SOUTH KOREA), and then wondered why he cant find a good paying job in... NIGERIA.

He felt achy and sore in his left kneel, he decided to take one tablet of his TRAMADOL TABLETS (MADE IN BANGLADESH) to relieve the pain. Lying down on his bed and wondering why NIGERIAN External Foreign Reserve has depleted to under $ 28billion which has translated to free fall depreciation of Nigerian NAIRA to US DOLLAR at PARALLEL MARKET.......

Fellow Nigerians, let's us start producing, let us start buying made in NIGERIA goods If our economy is to grow and create better jobs.

How can a country like Nigeria be importing toothpick, cutting bud, cotton wool, matches, rubber band e.t.c? And we complain at d same time that there is no jobs for our teeming youths?

The situation is even pathetic now when you see Nigerians ( in Lagos) prefer Cotonou garri to that of Ijebu, buy cotonou pineapple and they say it is better than that of Nigeria. That is why frozen foods will be exported to Cotonou from farms like that of obasanjo repacked and imported back to Nigeria because they know Nigerians always prefer made in outside Nigeria goods .
That is why you will see an expatriate renumeration will be juicy than that of his Nigeria counterpart even if that Nigerian is more certificated than d expatriate ( This also happen in government parastatals).

Any nation that import majorly foreign made goods/ services rather than producing their own are hurting its people....

When we keep importing foreign made products into Nigeria, we keep importing poverty into our country and exporting jobs abroad...

My friend closed down his production factory because he was not making enough profit to purchase diesel and pay electricity bill at the same time. After paying your tax to our corrupt government you still have to provide your social amenities at exorbitant rate and often times very difficult to get. Presently Nigeria is a failed State and I hope we get it right soon enough.

3 Likes

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by coachwilcox(m): 8:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
Wal. Front page at last. Anyway. While I didn't coin the write up and should have acknowledged the original writer (my error), the point is still that we need to take the learning from our desires and foreign taste vis a vis economic realities.

While my phone was made in and imported from China, I think it's ridiculous that someone will come source for forex from CBN or artificially drive up the parallel market to import toothpick, palm oil from Malaysia. Rice from Thailand etc when we can produce much of these here.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by millhouse: 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
fearlessigboman:
What more can I say
no be lie... Need we say more?
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by coachwilcox(m): 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ghost447:
My friend closed down his production factory because he was not making enough profit to purchase diesel and pay electricity bill at the same time. After paying your tax to our corrupt government you still have to provide your social amenities at exorbitant rate and often times very difficult to get. Presently Nigeria is a failed State and I hope we get it right soon enough.

I will give you a simple analogy. Dunlop produces tires in Naija. Someone sources forex from cbn to import used tires. Therefore, because the used ones are cheaper than Dunlop, it's difficult to increase production a and demand is low for Dunlop. Then they fold up.

When we are forced to be self reliant, the options we have which will be our only option will drive demand and reduce cost for Dunlop.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by wabagric(m): 9:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
mr.man,even americans are using made in other countries.the issues is that,we so much depend on single leg(oil) now the leg got injured.you are talking about made in nigeria products,where is that power you want the company to use? all nigerian products are no made in ghana because of power the companies hv relocated to ghana.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by persius555(m): 9:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
OP, as emotionally laden as your post is, so also is it not feasible. How do you manufacture when you have power shortage. If the entire insustries in lagos and aba alone decide to operate full blast, the present power generating capacity will not be half sufficient. OP, write an equally emotional thread like this to the presidency. They know what to do, but for whatever reason they join us to blame nigeria for not doing enough.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by mikolo80: 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
Bootybuttchic:
thsi can only work well if nigerians can be honest enough to make durable goods!
honest or hardworking
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by gbrown(m): 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
kilode100:
Sweet nonsense!!.. Na today we begin use imported goods??..

Dem don Scam us o..

Change change change o...

...And they chased a Good man Away cry cry
FATHER FORGIVE ALL WAILERS FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY ARE DOING,ALL WAILERS ARE HIGH ON OTUOKE OGOGORO THAT'S WHY THEY CAN NEVER SEE CHANGE
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by ken4jj(m): 9:24pm On Feb 21, 2016
coachwilcox:

You made a valid point about Nigerians attitude towards foreign goods. While it is true, it is a small issue that can be forcefully corrected if we get things right as a country. Our greatest problem is that we do not have the capacity for real production in this country. Even if we ban all foreign goods, we do not even have the capacity to sustain the country and this is because we do not have the infrastructures. Manufacturing is a serious business. I will only take the country serious when we have common light and other supporting infrastructure that will bring down cost of doing business here. i am talking from experience.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by smarthG(f): 9:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
Until Nigerian Government start picking up some young egg-head and send them to go learn acquire technical-knowhow and brng them baack to make teach @politechnic and make politechnic education attractive, things might never really work well in Ngeria.

As long as Bsc. Contnues to be more relevant than Hnd, these problems may never be addressed.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by kilode100(f): 9:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
gbrown:

FATHER FORGIVE ALL WAILERS FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY ARE DOING,ALL WAILERS ARE HIGH ON OTUOKE OGOGORO THAT'S WHY THEY CAN NEVER SEE CHANGE

Is it 1dollar to 1naira already??..
Yawns*

16 Likes

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Okobaba1(m): 9:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
It is government dt determines hw well and hw far an economy grows. Buhari and his economic handlers do not understand d intricacies of a Mixed economy like d one Nigeria operates. I support buying Nigerian made goods but government has to roll up its sleeve and sit back at home to work and nt junkeeting arnd d globe luking fr help whr dere z none. All we nid to grow dz economy z in dz Nation. We only need willing hearts and sincere minds!!
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by nenergy(m): 9:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
kilode100:
...And they chased a Good man Away cry cry
Good man? You no get radio or TV for house? You're a dubious somebody!
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by dacherish(m): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2016
The search for nigeria made goods and product have begun, in kelly handsome tune oya na oya, Musa, Okon, Kachi, Ibinabo, Tosin, kabiru, Faith, ogene, make we run oh buhari change na nigeria ultimate Seach
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
hmm thank God my infinix is made in Nigeria, ibuynaija.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by gykes(m): 10:08pm On Feb 21, 2016

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by banio: 10:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
PMB is touring the world in made in Nigeria plane.

2 Likes

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Chimdiebere(m): 10:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
if you really want made in Nigeria, then lets stop importing food stuffs, prepare to see scarcity of Okporoko in the market! Stock fish doesn't grow in Nigeria because our weather no send at all!
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by yelloo1(m): 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
Even d english u take write all dis na import u import am, tell me watin we neva import 4 naija
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by OmoOsanyin: 10:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
MeloGistDotCom:
@OP you that you are preaching that nigeria should stop importing goods from foreign countries, what have you bought that is made in nigeria? The phone you used to post this, is it made in nigeria?

Before you quote me i also believe in Made in Nigeria Products grin grin

Then talk or act like you do believe and don't be two-cheeked.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by onelife97: 11:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nothing will ever change in Nigeria,if there is still no electricity to run the production of wetin u wan start to dey produce......If Buhari can just focus and throw his power behind making sure there is enough power generation and let's see how Nigeria will be transformed in a twinkle of an eye.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by CallMeOO7(m): 11:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
[quote author=abushman post=43131552][/quote]
Sentiments wouldn't let you use your brain

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UBA Celebrates Tony Elumelu On 58th Birthday (photos) / How Much Does A Drum Of Engine Oil Cost? / Top 5 Strategies Millionaire Entrepreneur Use To Make Money Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.