Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Nigerian Male Professors ?! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Male Professors ?! (1270 Views)

Yobe Employs 35 Professors From India, Philippines For University / IMO State Has The Highest Number Of Professors In Nigeria / Produce Good Graduates: Jonathan Tell Professors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Male Professors ?! by adabeke2(f): 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2009
Why is it that Nigerian male professors get away with threatening their female students that they will fail them unless they sleep with them ., I'm not only talking about the male professors but also the females ( oh yes ! some do ) ., no double standards ., but why is that ? Then we wonder ., thinking about why other countries don't take Nigerians as serious as they should when it comes to education ,  Its dominant in nigerian movies too ., Most of our graduates can not defend their papers or make sense out of what they were taught., not only that but they can't relate what they learned in school to real-life situations. What then becomes the future of higher education in our beautiful nation of Nigeria ?   undecided
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by Redfox(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2009
unfortunately the girls are noted for immoral dressing which undoubtly creates room for such.i believe that,if our ladies are properly dressed without exposing vital and sensual parts of the body in the guise of fashion and vogue we will then start to see less of sexual harrasment in our campuses.
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by abariko1(m): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2009
Good talk Redfox, that is the focal point in bringing this whole thing to a stop.
Some in the name of this Devil called Fashion will dress like somebody who is going to a beach party, ahba!! Nigerians where is our virtues. I am ashamed of this Ladies!!!!!.
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by Enquirer: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2009
Sexual harassment is not seen as a serious offense in Nigeria. That is why the burden is shifted to the person being harassed rather the offender. Some lecturers harass even decently dressed girls. They feel nobody can get them.

I remember when some lecturers got dismissed from a university of technology owned by the federal government in the south-east in a bed-for-marks scandal. The girls involved weren't outrageous dressers. This goes to show there are other motives.
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by adabeke2(f): 3:11pm On Jul 12, 2009
Enquirer:

Sexual harassment is not seen as a serious offense in Nigeria. That is why the burden is shifted to the person being harassed rather the offender. Some lecturers harass even decently dressed girls. They feel nobody can get them.

I remember when some lecturers got dismissed from a university of technology owned by the federal government in the south-east in a bed-for-marks scandal. The girls involved weren't outrageous dressers. This goes to show there are other motives.

i qet what you are sayinq , but what is this "bed-for-marks" scandal ? can you tell me more ?
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by Abojupupa: 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2009
The ladies are as guilty as the Lecturers/professors. Some deliberately go to the lecturers just to be noticed. Imagine a female student asking if she could follow her lecturer for lunch! Some go to the lecturer's office to GREET him; especially if he teaches a compilsory course! Yet some want to associate with lecturers considered to be influential, so that they could get some sort of protection.
@ada_beke
I am not aware of female lecturers/professors asking out their male students; can you shed more light on this?
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by adabeke2(f): 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2009
Abojupupa:

The ladies are as guilty as the Lecturers/professors. Some deliberately go to the lecturers just to be noticed. Imagine a female student asking if she could follow her lecturer for lunch! Some go to the lecturer's office to GREET him; especially if he teaches a compilsory course! Yet some want to associate with lecturers considered to be influential, so that they could get some sort of protection.
@ada_beke
I am not aware of female lecturers/professors asking out their male students; can you shed more light on this?

To Abojupupa  --*

I mentioned female lecturers because I didn't want to sound sexist ., but to be quite honest some of them do . They are just better at hiding it and the fact that the Nigerian "entertainment" industry hasn't caught on to it makes it unknown for most people. Let's be real ,  we known at least a hand-ful of them have done this before .,
--* i hope that answers your question for me ., anything else just keep on asking like you did .
thank you ( for the reply to the post ) smiley
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by Abojupupa: 12:31pm On Jul 17, 2009
@ ada_beke
I take your word for it . My suggestions in solving this problem are the following:
1. I guess the matter can be handled by individual students. For instance a student should not go alone to a lecturer's office, especially in cases where assignments have to be submitted.
2. Students should try their best in their courses (there should be no fear of failure once they have prepared adequately for tests/exams). so they can confidently challenge low grades/failures politely. Alternatively, they should take their failures in good faith, not going around begging for marks.
3. If a lecturer persistently harasses a student, the latter should try and get them on tape and use the evidence against the lecturer.
4. The student can be more religious (wearing muslims' hijab or dressing like a Scripture Union member); looks like this class is hardly harassed.
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by inuwar2(m): 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2009
may b it is from our roots, something is obviously wrong somewhere unless we find out, we will still b moving in circles]
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by adabeke2(f): 12:13am On Jul 19, 2009
inuwar2:

may b it is from our roots, something is obviously wrong somewhere unless we find out, we will still b moving in circles]

to inuwar2 --*
what do you mean from our roots ?
can you please elaborate ?
Re: Nigerian Male Professors ?! by inuwar2(m): 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2009
i said may b it could b from our roots, our mental genetic make up does not support gender equality.We have all d facilities for promoting gender equality but its stil yet undecided

(1) (Reply)

Custom Recruitment Form For 2010 / Laspotech Postume Result / Esut Students Died In A Motor Accident On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.