Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,965 members, 7,952,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:57 AM

Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves (26343 Views)

Meet Omere Larry Peters: Profile, Biography, Nigeria Striker Making Waves Abroad / FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: Nigeria Vs Spain 2 - 1 (Full Time) / Nigerian U-23 Team Threaten Boycott Olympic Matches Over Unpaid Allowances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 9:11am On Feb 23, 2016
Top 10 Nigeria U-20 Players Making Waves In Europe

The back-to-back victory by the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria in the FIFA U-17 World Cup is an indication that the country has a large pool of talents within that age grade. Here are top 10 most promising Nigerian young footballers now giving a good account of themselves in various leagues across Europe.

1. Kelechi Iheanacho: Playing alongside such star players as Sergio Aguero, Yaya Toure, Davis Silva and others in the Manchester City team speaks volume of Iheanacho’s talent.

With the few playing time he is getting at the club, the player adjudged as the Most Valuable Player at the Under-17 Youth Championship held at the United Arab Emirate in 2013 has scored five goals with breathtaking assists that have seen Man City fans singing praises of the young Nigerian. He is always comfortable with the ball anywhere behind the main striker, on the flanks or even when he leads himself. Kelechi is no doubt one of the gifted talents to have ever come out of the Nigerian shore in recent time.

2. Sadiq Umar – He announced himself to the big stage when he scored a beautiful goal in the Serie A for AS Roma. Reading William Vainqueur’s cross to perfection, the young Nigerian took out five defenders to plant home an emphatic header past Mattia Perin in goal for Genoa.

The 18-year-old Umar has gotten first team game time for a top club like AS Roma and even scored two goals in his three appearances. He is proving his goal scoring exploits at SC Spezia (where he scored a record breaking 26 goals in 27 games in the Italian youth league), which made Roma came for him, are no fluke. A tall and lanky forward, Umar has been likened to the legendary Nwankwo Kanu.

3. Isaac Success –Playing regular top-flight football for Granada and featuring week in week out for a 1st division team in Spain against super stars like Ronaldo and Messi and some of the best defenders in the world is indeed a remarkable achievement for the young Nigerian.

Isaac has scored three goals and is the livewire of Granada FC. He is comfortable playing as the main striker but is also effective playing wide a little. A strong, skillful and speedy striker likened to a young Samuel Eto’o. Isaac is a gem in the making and it is only a matter of time before he rises above struggling Granada FC of Spain.

4. Alex Iwobi: He plays with a top English Premier League team like Arsenal filled with world-class players. For the 19-year-old Nigerian international to be considered for a place on the bench in the Gunners conveys his quality.

Iwobi has made the Arsenal team roster eight times this season and started against Sunderland in the FA Cup where he received a standing ovation from the Highbury faithful.

He made an even bigger impression in the game against Stoke, where he came on for Theo Walcott in the last 20 minutes. Highly rated by Wenger, the Frenchman has refused to loan him out. Iwobi has the ability to play from a variety of wide positions as well as in the middle behind a striker and is capable of reading the game better. Iwobi is the nephew of the great Jay Jay Okocha.

5. Moses Simon – He is an electrifying winger with smooth ball control, immense pace and exquisite dribbling skills. He almost signed for Ajax Amsterdam in 2013 scoring for them in pre-season games before eventually signing for AS Trencin in 2014 where he was snapped up by Belgian Elite division club, Gent.

In only his first season for Gent, Simon scored seven goals and had numerous assists on their way to finishing second, which qualified them for the Champions League. At 20, the potential is frightening, as some EPL’s top clubs like Liverpool and Tottenham, are said to be showing interest.

6. Wilifred Ndidi – The 19-year-old was one of the first players among the 2015 U-20 class to sign for a club abroad, when he was snapped up by Racing Genk.

He wasted little time before he broke into the first team and has 18 appearances for the modest Belgian club, posting a great performance despite being moved from his traditional centre back to defensive midfield.

Ndidi recently scored his first professional goal for Genk from his defensive midfield position against Zulte-Waregem. He was one of the few players who stood out for the Nigerian U-20 during a dismal outing at the World Cup in New Zealand. A budding talent, Ndidi, is comfortable as a centre back, anywhere along the back four or even as a defensive midfielder.

7. Taiwo Awoniyi: Injury to Isaac Success at the 2013 U-17 World Cup at UAE gave Awoniyi an opportunity to prove his worth. He took it with both hands scoring four goals as Nigeria went on to win the cup.

Awoniyi has not looked back since becoming the top striker for the U-20 team scoring breathtaking goals in the African U-20 tournament in Senegal and even going on to replicate his goal scoring exploits for the U-23s.

A tall gangling striker in the likes of late Rashidi Yekini, Awoniyi is blessed with an eye for goal, good sense of positioning and exceptional hold up play. He eventually got his reward after being snapped up by Liverpool of England from where he has been loaned to Frankfurt of Germany to gain experience. It’s only a matter of time before his talent returns him to the English top flight football.

8. Kelechi Nwakali – The word wonder kid has been thrown around loosely most times. The MVP and Golden Ball winner at Chile 2015 U-17 World Cup, Nwakali was without any doubt the engine room and the driving force behind the victorious Golden Eaglets.

A brutal enforcer and instigator of attacks with silky and sublime ball touches, Nwakali shone like a million star in Chile with three goals and three assists. He has been likened to Arsenal’s great, Patrick Viera and four times African footballer of the year award winner, Yaya Toure. He is close to joining Arsenal.

9. Victor Osimhen – He announced himself to the world in a fantastic way after breaking all previous goal scoring records and emerging the highest goal scorer ever in the history of the U-17 World Cup championship with 11 goals in Chile. More importantly was the manner Osimhen took his goals at the tournament.

He is being touted to take after the goal father, Rashidi Yekini, due to his playing style. Osimhen topped his achievement by mixing up with the big boys and giving a good account of himself in the national U-23 Olympic team. He seems set to sign a contract with Wolfsburg in Germany.

10. Ifeanyi Matthews – Another star player of the 2013 U-17 Golden Eaglets squad. While Iheancho, Success and Awoniyi hogged the headlines, Matthews, alongside Abiodun Idowu were the unheralded stars doing their jobs quietly but effectively in the middle.

Matthews shone at the African U-20 tourney in Senegal scoring two breathtaking goals as well as setting up three assists.

His form dropped a little due to a foot injury at the World Cup and he did not make the cut for Siasia’s team, but he is back holding his own with the home-based Eagles. At the CHAN in Rwanda, he emerged as one of the stars. Matthews is a versatile player, combining well as attacking or defensive midfielder.

source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2016/02/10-top-nigerian-u-20-players-making-waves-in-european-leagues/

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 9:16am On Feb 23, 2016
Cc: honeric01 , semid4lyfe, seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, mukina2, etc
Pic 1: Alex Iwobi
Pic 2: Success
Pic 3: Taiwo Awoniyi

modified: just getting quotes that the first picture is for Chuba Akpom and not Alex Iwobi... sorry for the mix up. (error came from my source)

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Adonis3: 9:26am On Feb 23, 2016
OP

At least post their pics to make the thread interesting

#Adonis3HasSopken
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 9:37am On Feb 23, 2016
Adonis3:
OP

At least post their pics to make the thread interesting

#Adonis3HasSopken
I wanted to but my phone is more or less a '3310'
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Adonis3: 9:47am On Feb 23, 2016
sonofthunder:
I wanted to but my phone is more or less a '3310'
u can use pics from the internet

You wouldn't have to start searching ur gallery wch is also slower
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 10:02am On Feb 23, 2016
Adonis3:

u can use pics from the internet

You wouldn't have to start searching ur gallery wch is also slower
yes sir
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by vicstar(m): 10:12am On Feb 23, 2016
our boys giving us joy cool lalasticlacla come do the needful
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 10:32am On Feb 23, 2016
vicstar:
our boys giving us joy cool lalasticlacla come do the needful
I heard he always takes his time to read any article that contains the name "Kelechi"
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by azeeza(f): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2016
Do you want to be banned for life?
sonofthunder:

I heard he always takes his time to read any article that contains the name "Kelechi"
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sonofthunder: 1:36pm On Feb 23, 2016
azeeza:
Do you want to be banned for life?
no oh... am I in danger?
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2016
OP, where the fvck is my name on that list...oh I don't pursue soccer Professionally cool
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by sukkot: 1:42pm On Feb 23, 2016
mmkayyy
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by timidapsin(m): 1:42pm On Feb 23, 2016
Isaac success no sabi play joor
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Kangol99(m): 1:42pm On Feb 23, 2016
Am proud of you guys! Keep it Up!
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by 5starmilitant: 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2016
S
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by johntaiwo123(m): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2016
grin
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by ChappyChase: 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2016
Nice one! I pray their carrier does not die!
By the way, can some look closely to Isaac Success face and tell me that guy is below 20, and have you guys seen his new beards? I just love the style!
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by johntaiwo123(m): 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2016
Work Hard, Earn Hard and Enjoy!!! grin
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by johntaiwo123(m): 1:46pm On Feb 23, 2016
Nigeria: The Giant of Africa.
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 23, 2016
grin
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by iwuchukwutony(m): 1:47pm On Feb 23, 2016
Na waoooooooooooh
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by yunglivochi(m): 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2016
grin my name for b on dis list cos i sabi play
nah scout no cum 4 me

i pray their career elevates
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Futbolpredikts: 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2016
Pic 1 is chuba akpom not Alex iwobi

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by DesChyko: 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2016
Good analysis, Poor presentation. Not a bad effort in all.
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by Trendy247: 1:50pm On Feb 23, 2016
So u mean this nigga is U-20...

Omg, I have die lipsrsealed

That means in d next 10 yrs some players go dey use walking stick play football lol

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by DeRay98(m): 1:50pm On Feb 23, 2016
If we can find a National team mgr with ambitions and mgr skill, the next 10 yrs can S.Eagles rule Africa again like the'94 set did.
These boys are really young, tasted success early and moving up to greater things. May God help us with NFF not to waste the great times we can already see ahead.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by MoneyGreen(m): 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2016
OP thanks for putting me up.. na me be Umar, I'm on Nairaland too. Gaskiya, nagode. Promise to score more goals for uguys.. Up Nigeria, sai Baba lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by larion: 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2016
Great
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by DeRay98(m): 1:54pm On Feb 23, 2016
timidapsin:
Isaac success no sabi play joor
Go and see the analysis of Spanish football analysts I read online, Promise is live wire of Granada. That's where Ighalo was brushed up for 2 seasons before EPL.
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by MoneyGreen(m): 1:55pm On Feb 23, 2016
ChappyChase:
Nice one! I pray their carrier does not die!
By the way, can some look closely to Isaac Success face and tell me that guy is below 20, and have you guys seen his new beards? I just love the style!
thanks.. Watch out for me dis weekend, I will score more goals.
Re: Nigerian U-20 Players In Europe That Are Making Waves by MoneyGreen(m): 1:56pm On Feb 23, 2016
johntaiwo123:
Work Hard, Earn Hard and Enjoy!!! grin
you too caan do it and be like me. Good luck bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Birmingham 2022: Nigeria Wins Gold In The Women's 4x100m Relay, Makes History / Enter Here For 99.9% Sure Games 5-10 Odds Daily / Jude Ighalo And Obafemi Martins Hangout Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.