Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,508 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Obama To Africans: End Tyranny, Corruption - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama To Africans: End Tyranny, Corruption (642 Views)

See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Obama To Reveal Isis Strategy – But Pledges 'no Iraq War' - The guardian / Voting Machines Altering Votes From Obama To Romney In Pennsylvania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obama To Africans: End Tyranny, Corruption by MisterMan(m): 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
America's first black president spoke with a bluntness that perhaps could only come from a member of Africa's extended family.

"No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, or if police can be bought off by drug traffickers," he said

"No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, or the head of the Port Authority is corrupt. No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery.

"That is not democracy, that is tyranny, even if occasionally you sprinkle an election in there," he said, "and now is the time for that style of governance to end."

To me, he scores a hit. The problem with us is this coruption of a thing. For too long, we blame the west for our problems. This is one of the reason I never joined 'How Europe under-developed Africa' bus. He had Nigeria on his mind, or what do you think?
Re: Obama To Africans: End Tyranny, Corruption by mccloud224(m): 9:47pm On Jul 12, 2009
Bulls eye.Definitely Nigeria.I thank God he didn't visit this joke of a nation.It would have been an insult to other African nations who understand what democracy and development is all about and as far as I'm concerned, Ghana was the best choice.Check out their stats : From the Jerry Rawlings saga till now.The country has been doing it's best to forge forward.

(1) (Reply)

New Country Founded In Africa: / Iraq Shoe Thrower 'was Tortured' / Is President Obama Tough Enough?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.