Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

How To Diagnose Alternator Problems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Diagnose Alternator Problems (8393 Views)

6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator / 6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator / How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by carblognaija: 8:10am On Feb 24, 2016
How to Diagnose Alternator Problems

This post is all about how we can test the car alternator to see if it’s faulty or not. Many a time you see people change their alternators without carrying out proper tests on the alternator to see if it’s actually the cause of the problem. After changing it they find out whatever is the problem still persists. For the simple reason that the car battery is not being charged does not mean that the alternator is faulty. Before you pass judgment on the alternator, take some steps to be sure that the alternator is dead.

Check the Battery Terminals & cables – Anytime you work on car electrical systems, it’s always good to start with the battery. Do some basic checks on the battery first. The first thing to check on the battery is the terminal connections. You need to make sure that the connections are tight and clean with no corrosions on the terminals. So many electrical problems originate from poor connections at the terminals. Corrosions that build up over time can create a resistance between the battery terminal and the cables thereby compromising the performance of the battery and also the alternator. So check that the battery terminals are well connected and also check for any signs of corrosion.

Test the Battery – The next step is to test the battery with a voltmeter. This is a very simple process. Set the voltmeter to a range above the battery voltage. For instance, car batteries are usually 12v; you need to set the voltmeter to something above that (say 20v). Then connect the positive probe of the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery and note the reading on the voltmeter. A reading of 12v and above is a good reading but if it is above 12.6v then the battery is probably overcharged and the surface charge may need to be removed either by turning on the headlamps for some time.

Check the Alternator Output, Cables & Belt – Leave the voltmeter still connected at the battery terminals, start the engine and rev it or raise the engine a little for some time while checking the reading on the voltmeter at the same time. The reading should be well above battery voltage but not more than 15.5v. Any value more than 15.5v indicates that the system is probably overcharged. Overcharging condition is just as bad as undercharging condition. Though some alternator systems might run more than that value but most cars still maintain a reading less than 15.5v. Now if you turn up the engine and the reading is less than the battery voltage then it’s possible the alternator may not be doing its work. However, don’t condemn the alternator yet we still have a few more things to check. Check the alternator cables and wiring, especially the wires that connects to the voltage regulator, for any kind of damage. Another thing to check is the alternator belt. If the belt tension is not sufficient enough to spin the alternator, the alternator cannot produce adequate electricity. So make sure the alternator belt is tight and secure.

Voltage Drop Test – Perform a voltage drop test by loading the system. How to perform a voltage drop test was treated in our earlier post. Click here to read it.

What if we still get an unfavorable reading after the tests?

There are two types of voltage regulators – external and internal voltage regulators. The external voltage regulator is separate from the alternator assembly while the internal voltage regulator is part of the alternator assembly. So, if the voltage reading falls below the battery voltage, replace the voltage regulator if it is an external regulator. If the regulator is internal then you just have to replace the alternator. Again, in most modern cars, voltage regulation is controlled by the ECU. It just might be that the ECU is not sending the right command to the alternator to push out the required voltage. Just keep that in mind.

So this post is basically to make sure that when you remove the alternator for replacement that you are sure to a greater extent that the alternator is the problem and not something else.

We hope this is very informative. Thanks for reading.

Source: http://carblognaija.com/how-to-diagnose-alternator-problems/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by honmusa(m): 1:37pm On Feb 24, 2016
You can as well use you trusted scan tool to diagnose alternator issue.
Follow this simple procedure
1.Start you engine and plug your obd2 scan tool in the appropriate obd2 DLC.
2 .On your scan tool ,look for PID for alternator voltage and observe the reading .On idle with no load ,the voltage is expected to be well above 13volts.
3.Then try load your car by turning on the accessories one by one and observe the voltage reading ,
4.Note that if there should be drastic reduction of alternator voltage to near the battery voltage ,the alternator need to be changed .
5.A good alternator should fall slightly in value and maintain the same voltage with increase in load.

that all ,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by wiseguy(m): 4:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
honmusa:
You can as well use you trusted scan tool to diagnose alternator issue.
Follow this simple procedure
1.Start you engine and plug your obd2 scan tool in the appropriate obd2 DLC.
2 .On your scan tool ,look for PID for alternator voltage and observe the reading .On idle with no load ,the voltage is expected to be well above 13volts.
3.Then try load your car by turning on the accessories one by one and observe the voltage reading ,
4.Note that if there should be drastic reduction of alternator voltage to near the battery voltage ,the alternator need to be changed .
5.A good alternator should fall slightly in value and maintain the same voltage with increase in load.

that all ,
Yes but the post talked about other things that might constitute a problem intead of alternators. I think its more like checking other issues like the battery, terminals and cables before condenming the alternator. However, I prefer voltage drop test more than the odb route. Also in Nigeria, its not everyone that has and understands the scan tool but a simple digital voltmeter is available and easily understood.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by honmusa(m): 6:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
wiseguy:

Yes but the post talked about other things that might constitute a problem intead of alternators. I think its more like checking other issues like the battery, terminals and cables before condenming the alternator. However, I prefer voltage drop test more than the odb route. Also in Nigeria, its not everyone that has and understands the scan tool but a simple digital voltmeter is available and easily understood.
Bro the title of the topic is simple'' diagnosing alternator problem ''not checking battery or cable.
Any car user that want to take risk of being a DIY should have scanner ,it is easier to use scanner and safer than going tru the risk of using multimeter which can cost you blowing up your ecu if you are still a learner in the act .
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Flexherbal(m): 1:39pm On Feb 26, 2016
This is one the reasons why I like nairaland. It is very informative.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Dottore: 1:42pm On Feb 26, 2016
Better than the celebrity trash and poo that have been desecrating the front page

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bolt000(m): 1:43pm On Feb 26, 2016
wa gbayii op. wink
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Abbeyme: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
Good post
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by kingjoe(m): 1:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
please i need your advice .two electricians are telling me two different things about my car battery. it produces foam or acid after some time .on e mechanic said the battery is becoming weak that i should change it the other is saying it is overcharging that i should change the alternator.am a bit confused .new battery or change alternator.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bakynes(m): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
A simple lay man way to detect if your alternator is bad is by using another battery to start your car, then remove the Car cable terminals from the battery, if the car stops running then you know your alternator is bad and needs changing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Ipheyemmy01(m): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
I go soon dey flow with una... For now i neva buy my car. So i dey learn.

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by asumo12: 1:58pm On Feb 26, 2016
compressors nko?

any help?
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bakynes(m): 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
asumo12:
compressors nko?

any help?
If you have Gas in your compressor and it starts blowing hot air without any leakages in the A/C system then you compressor is bad.

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Okemmuo(m): 2:27pm On Feb 26, 2016
Hhhmm...got frens dah got such probs...battery nd aalternator..buh all dis devices "volt meter" nd etc...IONO angry angry

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Kingjames(m): 2:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
bakynes:
A simple lay man way to detect if your alternator is bad is by using another battery to start your car, then remove the Car cable terminals from the battery, if the car stops running then you know your alternator is bad and needs changing.
Which one is lay man, just start the car raise the engine a little allow it to stabilize and pull out the battery cables if the alternator is fine the engine will keep running, you can even drive from Kaduna to Zaria without the battery it's confirmed, tested and trusted. Thank me later.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by asumo12: 2:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
it seems my compressor is leaking (cause it stay wet everyday) am i right or wrong ?

bakynes:

If you have Gas in your compressor and it starts blowing hot air without any leakages in the A/C system then you compressor is bad.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bosunolu(m): 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
bakynes:

This is not completely correct. There could be gas in there, the A/C will be blowing hot becos the fan is running but the compressor is still okay but not working because other components to make it work may be faulty. Such components may be terminal problems, drier, capacitor or simply electrical problems.

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bosunolu(m): 3:23pm On Feb 26, 2016
asumo12:
it seems my compressor is leaking (cause it stay wet everyday) am i right or wrong ?

A wet compressor indicates clearly that there is gas leakage. This can be taken care of and your A/C will run smoothly.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by honmusa(m): 3:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
bakynes:
this crude practice of removing battery when your car is working is a very bad one and should be condemned
it can cost you a new ECU because you stand the risk of frying up your ecu with more current flowing in the entire wiring system after the battery which constitute a considerable load has been removed.

1 Like

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bakynes(m): 4:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
asumo12:

It might be the neck of the compressor, mayb it needs to be resealed.
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by bakynes(m): 4:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kingjames:

Which one is lay man, just start the car raise the engine a little allow it to stabilize and pull out the battery cables if the alternator is fine the engine will keep running, you can even drive from Kaduna to Zaria without the battery it's confirmed, tested and trusted. Thank me later.
What is the difference btw wat I said and what you just suggested ?You just rephrased what I said simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by pinetulips(m): 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
bosunolu:

A wet compressor indicates clearly that there is gas leakage. This can be taken care of and your A/C will run smoothly.

My car ac just stopped, no hot air, no cold air. Compressor belt intact Nd turning, Wetin fit be d wahala
Re: How To Diagnose Alternator Problems by Sookul: 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2016
pinetulips:

My car ac just stopped, no hot air, no cold air. Compressor belt intact Nd turning, Wetin fit be d wahala
Oga howfar. You never answer me since. Try and do something abeg

(1) (Reply)

Navigational System In Nigeria / Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? / Ford Introduces The Drift Stick Performance E-brake For The Focus RS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.