Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story (35347 Views)

Murphy Juliana: Beautiful Lady Mechanic In Lagos (Photos) / Meet The Young Nigerian Female Engineer Who Works As An Aircraft Mechanic. Photo / Nigerians In Diaspora Support Mechanic Blessing, Abuja Female Mechanic (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by viviangist2: 12:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
A Reader encountered a lady motor mechanic in Warri, Delta State and reports that for all we care, she is a woman living her dream as a mechanic and doing exploits in a profession that had hitherto been exclusively men’s.

Ever met a lady engaged in a profession that is perceived to be a man’s exclusive preserve in these parts? Although there are a few of such persons in the country, in Delta State, Onajite Emoyan is the only lady mechanic. In a recent encounter, Emoyan, 37, regaled The Authority with her experiences as a mechanic and explained why she decided to become one.

Emoyan, 37, is an Urhobo from Agbaroh in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State. She at­tended primary and secondary schools in Warri, the business hub of Delta State. Although her parents wanted her to go on with her studies, for one reason or the other, she could not. She was then advised to seek a trade where she could make a living for herself as a lady. But rather than seek a trade ‘in a woman’s world’ like tailoring or hair dressing, she opted to become a mechanic in the commercial city of Warri.

“My father actually wanted me to continue with my school but I was not interested in school, and so I asked myself what I could do with my life,” she narrated. “Since I could not go to school, my father thereafter advised me to learn a trade but I refused, because my interest or what I wanted to do was to be a mechanic, and that was how I joined the me­chanics in Warri.”

Her choice of career may appear baffling to the unin­formed, but she told The Au­thority she cherishes the pro­fession a lot.
“I just like being a mechan­ic,” she said. “I have not seen women doing it, so I decided to take it as a challenge. I love the job. If anything else comes my way, I wouldn’t abandon my mechanic job; no, not at all. That’s why I’m yet to be mar­ried because men that have come to me told me to leave mechanic, but I told them no, I can’t drop my mechanic job.”

Emoyan is happy being the only female mechanic among the over 5000 mechanics in Delta State. And she is ag­ile and active in the associa­tion of mechanics in the state, otherwise called the Nigerian Automobile Technicians As­sociation (NATA). An insider told The Authority that other mechanics respect her because she is the only woman among them.

Now, why is she so en­grossed with the job that she can’t leave it for anything else? Emoyan said: “I just like doing it. For a woman to come out to become a mechanic, it’s not a joke. I’ve gone round many places I’ve not seen a woman doing mechanic work. I’ve been hearing there are women but I’ve not seen any. It’s only when I travelled to Lagos that I saw a woman doing the work but apart from that, I’ve not seen any.”
She said that she feels happy being in the midst of other me­chanics doing her job. Accord­ing to her, the male mechanics see her as their only sister in the business and accord her the respect due to her. She re­pairs Peugeot and Mercedes Benz and other vehicle brands in the city of Warri.

Emoyan has been involved in mechanic work since 2001. Today, she is a seasoned pro­fessional in her own right. For her, there is much money in the trade compared to others, an added reason she is unwill­ing to drop the mechanic job for any other in the world.
Aside her testimony, an­other insider told The Author­ity that Emoyan has made money from the job. On how much she makes a day, she said it depends on the availability of customers “but I can confi­dently say there is money in it because there is always a good performance on daily basis”.

She said on a normal work day, she puts on her overall when working but outside af­ter the day’s work or on spe­cial functions, she dresses as a woman.
Although some vehicle owners attempt cheating her, apparently because she is a woman, she knows how to bring them round. “There is money in it but it’s just that there are some customers that are wicked. After working for them, they will tell you there is no money. That one brings quarrel but I will tell them you see me a woman doing this job and you want to cheat me, please encourage me and with that they will pay me my mon­ey,” she said, laughing.

Emoyan encourages wom­en to do descent jobs that could fetch them respect and money, saying women who engage in prostitution and other kinds of immoral acts in a bid to make a living, lack self-respect.
“I’ve always told women that they must learn some­thing,” she said. “You can’t just sit at home and wait for a man or be running from one man to the other. Man cannot give you enough money that will satisfy you as a woman. You go to Mr. A, he gives you money, you go to Mr. B, he gives you money, how long will you con­tinue begging for money? I believe when you make your money you will enjoy it better than what men give you as a woman.”

For the youths who are busy pursuing politicians and waiting for quick wealth with­out sweat, she said “that is not the best for them,” adding that “you cannot reap where you did not invest. My advice to the youths is to learn and be involved in a trade. If you are not hardworking, there is no way you can be successful in this life. I want to believe that those who make quick money without sweat are involved in rituals, cultism and armed robbery.”

On how she copes as a lady among men, she said a lady must be determined to face her job. According to her, it was her determination to learn and overlook the intimidation and harassment from men that made her succeed in the job.

“Yes, men will definitely disturb you but you must have the mind to bear their moves for you to succeed,” she phi­losophized. “When I started, the men were disturbing me but my boss will always call me and advise me to concentrate on the work that I have come to learn. So, my success in this job was borne out of my deter­mination and today I’m happy as a mechanic”.

Source http://www.viviangist.com/the-lady-mechanic-from-warri-delta-state-photo-and-story

2 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by akunjohn(m): 12:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
madam,u ve already make urself known in your community as an icon.

please,settle down and have ur own children, I'm sure dere must be some men who will accept u and d line of ur job.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by sheguy(m): 2:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
Nice 1
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Omotayor123(f): 2:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
Yes.... She Can!!!

Good job madam cheesy grin

4 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Sunnycliff(m): 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2016
I don't doubt the abilities of a warri woman ever since my last encounter with Sophia!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Adaowerri111: 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2016
What a man can do a woman can do likewise
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2016
Great

- She is a Honda Repairer kiss
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by toluodek(m): 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2016
Neat overall. Huge difference.

1 Like

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by sheguy(m): 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2016
No b everybody go marry u hear.

akunjohn:

please,settle down and have ur own children, I'm sure dere must be some men who will accept u and d line of ur job.

6 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by showbobo(m): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
It's a patriarchal society still
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by raayah(f): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
I'm very proud of her!

May God continue to bless her handwork.

3 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by otokx(m): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
This is wonderful
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by scholes23(m): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
Madam, God bless your hustle and your handwork

1 Like

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by dexcy(f): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
women should never say Never. success is all abt been courageous.
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Dorofreedom111(m): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2016
end time lady hustlingend time lady hustlingend time lady hustling
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by ril19(m): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
bravo lady.....bravo!
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by airsaylongcon: 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Go to Jakande Roundabout in Lekki. There's an almost all female workshop there. Some of dem sexy sef. If not that they can't fix German cars I would have been going there regularly grin
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Adwexky(m): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
This CERTIFIES The Long-Existing Saying: What A Man Can Do A Female Can Do Also.

GET A CHEAP 'n' NEAT TOKUNBO PC --- CHECK MY SIGNATURE.
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by DONOTEGA(m): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Everything is possible in Warri. Area!!!!!!!
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by amunkita(m): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
U go drive reach Lagos only to be called to come pick ur engine wey fall for Ore expressway, Fear woman mechanic..

2 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by kennyman2000(m): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Nice one
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by allanphash7(m): 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
Olajumoke part 2 (warri branch)

1 Like

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by BUSHHUNTER: 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
viviangist2:

Source http://www.viviangist.com/the-lady-mechanic-from-warri-delta-state-photo-and-story

Summarize it..

Modified

Why is it that only women in that delta state work? Their men are busy drinking kain kain,sapele water,burukutu,ogogoro etc....

1 Like

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by TjGorlor(m): 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
We go soon dey see "what a man.........." Like say God created some jobs for only men. Nice one madam mechanic.
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by ebbybest(f): 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
God bless yuh madam i love ur zeal.......
I am a student, at d same tym working with WHO as a monitor. At the same time an electrician asin doing house wiring, repairs DVD, remote control but i hv nt tried repairing a television befor. and at d same time i repair generators. And i am proud of it.

4 Likes

Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
The kind money were dey that business eeer
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by hakinze00(m): 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
This is more of what we need in nigeria,Ladies who doesn't rely on guys
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by ril19(m): 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
akunjohn:

there is absolutely nothing wrong with her line of employment
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by nikkiking(m): 2:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
Is this inspiring
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by bisdam9086(m): 2:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
And some will prefer sleeping around with men fora living.. Kudos to you Madam..
Re: Lady Motor Mechanic From Warri, Delta State - Photo And Story by martineverest(m): 2:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
Female mechanic are very popular in Benin, especially in igun street

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Hope For Microbiologist In Nigeria / Driver Returns Lost Laptop, N50K, ATM Cards, Cheque Belonging To A Professor / 4 Big Career Lessons Managers Can Learn From Mourinho And Chelsea Slump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.