Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,420 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 (4237 Views)

Idol Worshiping Faithfuls Are The Ones Delaying Biafra From Materialising - Kanu / Photo Of Obasanjo Accepting The Surrender Of Biafra In 1970 / View Of BIAFRA From An EDO Perceptive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 5:22pm On Feb 24, 2016
Just saw this under my mum's box and decided to share it...
This is almost 40 years of age

6 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Flexherbal(m): 5:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
What is the value to a dollar?
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Osakah24(m): 6:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
Were your mum keeping it for future use? .
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 6:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Osakah24:
Were your mum keeping it for future use? .
She kept it for me to post on Nairaland and for you to post this shit... grin grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 6:24pm On Feb 24, 2016
Flexherbal:
Should be equal to a dollar as at then, who knows?

3 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Osakah24(m): 6:37pm On Feb 24, 2016
stainlink:

She kept it for me to post on Nairaland and for you to post this shit... grin grin grin
lol one love, no fighting,My late dad actually had lots of it, and always believed biafra will return.

3 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 6:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
Osakah24:
lol one love, no fighting,My late dad actually had lots of it, and always believed biafra will return.
Seems his dream is bringing its head high again... Who knows? it might come to pass. One love

2 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by lekjons(m): 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2016
OJU-IKU

dah guy sharp die.. gringrin

1 Like

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by ckmayoca: 7:03pm On Feb 24, 2016
Someone posted this for people to see but instead some people with no home training abi parental problem started insulting a whole region.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by celeron40(m): 7:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Worthless piece of paper from a worthless group of people in a worthless region of Nigeria.
This is a piece of history. But your messed-up tribalistic gutter of a mind won't let you see that.
I'm not igbo, but I now understand why they call Nigeria a zoo. Its cuz of animals like you.
Oloshi.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by kingbasil: 8:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
celeron40:
This is a piece of history. But your messed-up tribalistic gutter of a mind won't let you see that.
I'm not igbo, but I now understand why they call Nigeria a zoo. Its cuz of animals like you.
Oloshi.

You needn't reply the demented bigot... allow the fool to wallow in his crass stupidity...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Worthless piece of paper from a worthless group of people in a worthless region of Nigeria.

This is actually a historical relic which should make up reflect back and see ways of moving ahead with better understanding of tolerance and the likes. This is not an avenue to castigate a region or tribe my brother.

6 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by porshuch: 8:42pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
. Grow up! Stop tribalism.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Panzerfaust(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2016
kingbasil:

You needn't reply the demented bigot... allow the fool to wallow in his crass stupidity...
This is a forum. There is freedom of expression.
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 9:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Yes there is freedom in expression but dat does not make insulting a tribe OK. There is a saying here in Nigeria that 'there is freedom of speech but freedom after speech can not be guaranteed ' grin

5 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Nonybb: 9:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
1€ Biafran Shillings=2500Nigerian Naira

6 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Panzerfaust(m): 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
stainlink:

Yes there is freedom in expression but dat does not make insulting a tribe OK. There is a saying here in Nigeria that 'there is freedom of speech but freedom after speech can not be guaranteed ' grin
Ok. I'm sorry for the comment.
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Anticabal: 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:

Abookii have you read this piece by a national mirror yoruba journalist?

“Produits Fanmilk a vendre…des
produits de Fanmilk a vendre. Nous
acceptions Naira, Cedi, CFA, Dollars, et meme du Biafra Pound…Fanmilk
products e dey for sale…fanmilk
products e dey for sale….we dey
accept am for Naira, Cedi, CFA, Dollar, and even Biafran Pound”, the dairy products’ vendor shouted to the hearing of everyone, in apparent
attempt to get persons to patronize
him. This was at Ilacondji, at the very
frontiers of Benin-Togo. The vendor, a Togolese employee of the Fan Milk
Company, a Nigerian international
dairy firm, could speak some pidgin
English and good French. He was
obviously a well-travelled West
African, who had probably worked in Nigeria and lived in Ghana. I needed to find out more about his Biafran Pound.
“Mon ami”, I politely called him, “avez- vous dit que vous acceptez Livre du Biafra”? (Did you say you accept Biafran currency here? “Oui”, he quipped, adding, “i lest legal ici au Togo et d’autres pays Francophones.
Elle est belle et precieuse. Il est notre
monnaie preferee” (It is a legal tender
here in Togo and some other French-
speaking countries in West Africa. It is
beautiful. It is our favourite currency).
I probed further: “S’il vous plait, pius
je le voir? Quelle est la valeur a Naira?
(Please, let me see it. What’s its value
compared to Naira?) The response
dazed me: “It is currently N368 Naira
to a Biafran Pound!!!” This was the
most explosive part. N368 Naira to an
illegal currency of a non-existent
state? Who could be behind this mint
and which Central Bank is regulating
and standardizing it to the extent of
giving it such a global value?
I took a snapshot of the money and
handed it over to the Fanmilk vendor.
I bought two products from him in
Naira and looked around me to find
out that a startled crowd was looking
at me, JJC, who was just finding out
for the first time that Biafran Pound
was a major means of exchange in
the Francophone frontiers in West
Africa. The persons crossing the
border like me were just wondering
what drama I was putting up and
soon took their eyes away from my
spectacle the moment I bought my
Yoghurt and allowed the poor vendor to be.
For me, it was a moment of rare
discovery. I was lost in thought,
perturbed, worried at the deeper
implications of the seemingly
interesting finding I just made. Who is behind the Biafran Pound? Which
Central Bank is printing and regulating
it? Why is it a legal tender outside
Nigeria? Why are Francophone
countries, our so-called good
neighbours and co-members of
ECOWAS the ones recognizing and
accepting it as a means of
transaction? How come it has so
much value, even higher than the
British Pound and other western
currencies? Who and what is Biafra in the present-day Nigeria?
The journey to Aflao was
characterised by mind puzzles. Could France, Nigeria’s biggest threat in West
Africa be behind this pantomime?
Could the Togolese government and its counterparts in Ivory Coast and other Francophone countries be
boldly supporting the re-emergence
of Biafra in order to break Nigeria?
My discovery at Aflao was more
worrisome. Ghana, also recognizes
and accepts the use of the Biafran
Pound as a means of exchange!
However, most Ghanaians and
Nigerians of Igbo origin, I learnt, use
the currency discretely. They are not
as brazen about it as the Togolese,
Beninoise and Ivorians. But the
Biafran Pound is the most popular
currency in Ghana. My take on the
Ghana episode is that the “friendly”
government of that country cannot
not say it does not have any security
report about a Biafran Pound-
business that is said to be as old in
Ghana (Aflao in particular) as
immediately after the Civil War.
On return to Nigeria, I approached
some senior Igbo colleagues in the
academia, narrating my encounters
and expressed my worries.
Concerned but not new to them, they explained that it had been an old development, which has however gained momentum in more recent times. I was made to realize that the Igbos have not yet given up on “Biafra” and that there are grand plans to “regain” their independence.
I gathered that the Pound had been a collectors’ item, which, ipso facto,
would give it a lot of value, but
explained that the tenability of the
currency along the West African
coastline is the machination of some powerful and unrepentant “Biafran leaders”, whose international goodwill and connections have
pervaded West Africa and beyond. Sheriff Folarin/National
Mirror

m.nationalmirroronline.net/

article.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/biafran-pound-as-a-legal-tender-in-west-africa/

4 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Anticabal: 9:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:

I agree but wait o. You and your Dulhari, who dull pass?

5 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by stainlink(m): 10:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
That is the spirit Bro. May God give us the grace and will to be tolerant.

1 Like

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by cheruv: 11:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Nigeria has no need for worthless people

2 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by cheruv: 11:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
Flexherbal:
Around ½£ to a dollar

1 Like

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by emmalexabl(m): 11:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
Panzerfaust:

and four demented and foolish nairalanders liked the post...

Abeg no vex..,

were you born through the anus ??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Histrings08(m): 11:35pm On Feb 24, 2016
They really meant business then..
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by PAINGAIN: 1:00am On Feb 25, 2016
Panzerfaust:
ur apology is not needed. U have truelly expressed how u feel inside. Take that ur apology and ur freedom of speech and shove them up ur candy asss. Mpama. @topic. thats a piece of history there. I watched an episode of pawn stars where a world war 2 artifact was sold for $200,000.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Raphael81(m): 1:37am On Feb 25, 2016
the sun shall rise again in the east for the easterners
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Badguytinz(m): 3:50am On Feb 25, 2016
Panzerfaust:
People like you make matters worse for Nigeria.... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by mightyhaze: 6:13am On Feb 25, 2016
Many years ago,I discovered a box full of dese. Buriful and sterling notes in ma maternal grannies' house,I took a handful of dem and was v careless wit dem. 2day I can't find evn 1 of d notes. Wuld av been v nice 2 have a collection of dese tins now. Well, am saving 50kobo,1naira notes and several old coins for upcoming generations now,...in a box,...in ma village smiley

3 Likes

Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by Panzerfaust(m): 6:40am On Feb 25, 2016
emmalexabl:

and four demented and foolish nairalanders liked the post...

Abeg no vex..,

were you born through the anus ??
I've already apologised for the comment.
Re: Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 by EZENDDIGBO(m): 6:53am On Feb 25, 2016
Panzerfaust:
I've already apologised for the comment.
is ok, apology accepted. He s just mad over what you said but to me, I ve forgive and forget cos I know my people re not worthless.. One love bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

SHOCKING PHOTO: This Can Only Happen In Ondo / Hamman Yaji : The First Real Boko Jihadist Criminal / NASS Explains Shocking Reason Behind Cancellation Of Coastal Rail Line.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.