Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit (3115 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 7:52am On Feb 26, 2016
Below are my own compilation of the annoying things Nigerian parents do :

· They read minds wrongly, when Nigerian parents ask you a question and you stay mute for some minutes trying to figure out the best way to answer their question without getting them offended, they assume you have something to hide.

· They get easily offended : Nigerian parents body dey hot, if you place the mug at the edge of the table instead of the middle, you will earn slaps at the back of your neck and these slaps are always faster than the speed of light and when these types of slap lands on you, no matter how dull you are, you will do the right thing at that very moment you received the brain resetting slap.

· They can whoop your ass anywhere, Nigerian parents won’t mind their environment before dishing out lashes of cane to you, I was once ordered to strip unclad by my dad right in the middle of my school, he whooped my ass and humiliated me in front of everyone in my school, that happened in secondary school sha.

· They always want things to be done in their own way, I once chopped beating from my mom because I poured the detergent in the washing basin before pouring water and she had earlier instructed me to pour the water before the detergent.

· They are over-protective, Nigerian parents will want to know every detail about your whereabouts simply because they think you can’t do anything without their divine guardiance.

· They turn to the media regulatory board of the family, Nigerian parents can frustrate you ehn, when they enter the sitting room and you are viewing Lil Kesh’s music video, they will be like ‘Ope, ewo ni skiboroboski?’ (what is skiboroboski), gbe si Yoruba fun mi (tune it to Africa Magic Yoruba) ‘ti won o ba sise ki o pa t.v yen’ (if they are out of service, switch off the television set)

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by prisiluv(f): 7:58am On Feb 26, 2016
Lol...Simply The Best! Truth is,most of our parents try their best to bring us up properly.But...we jst seem to grow too fast and away from their teachings,even before we fully understand life...But some parents shaa,their kind of discipline can affect a child psychologically.That is why, close " parent&child" relationship is not so popular in africa...May God Help Us be better parents than our Good parents.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by asadike(f): 7:59am On Feb 26, 2016
welcome to the world of nigerian parents

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 8:09am On Feb 26, 2016
Haha! But it brought out the best in us
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by FlawlessRebirth2(f): 8:13am On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:
."
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 8:20am On Feb 26, 2016
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 8:39am On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

the best for where?? strict parenting made me an introvert and now its affecting me as a mass communication undergraduate student

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 26, 2016
I cannot forget d day my mother flogged me naked to bleeding point just because I stole garri.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 10:12am On Feb 26, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
I cannot forget d day my mother flogged me naked to bleeding point just because I stole garri.

grin why you sef steal garri grin
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

the best for where?? strict parenting made me an introvert and now its affecting me as a mass communication undergraduate student
Exactly same here. D thing affect me no be small
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

grin why you sef steal garri grin
Omo na hunger o. I went to bed without food d previous night. That was usually the punishment. After any little offence, no dinner for the offender but others will eat. I used to go to sch hungry then. Thank almighty God I didn't end up being a thief.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 11:33am On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos ipost=43263004:

Oh dear, maybe yours were too strict. Though I believe a little slap here and a pinch there would do good. With time you'll loosen up. Are you a jambite?
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 11:36am On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

Oh dear, maybe yours were too strict. Though I believe a little slap here and a pinch there would do good. With time you'll loosen up. Are you a jambite?

strict to the core... jambite ke, m in 300lvl already grin

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 11:36am On Feb 26, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
Who did you steal the garri from first! I had always know that the only punishment given to thieves is violent beatings. Maybe she did that to deter you from trying it a second time
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 11:40am On Feb 26, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Omo na hunger o. I went to bed without food d previous night. That was usually the punishment. After any little offence, no dinner for the offender but others will eat. I used to go to sch hungry then. Thank almighty God I didn't end up being a thief.

chai, hunger bad o.... but nob forur house u take carry the garri ni??
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 11:40am On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

strict to the core... jambite ke, m in 300lvl already grin
Then work on yourself. I know it's not easy. I once had a friend who was strictly brought up by his uncle. Even as a director where he works the traces show but he tried and his efforts yielded reasonable success. Sha hope you don't allow people intimidate you?

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

chai, hunger bad o.... but nob forur house u take carry the garri ni??

Na for our house oh. She no dey pity at all

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

Then work on yourself. I know it's not easy. I once had a friend who was strictly brought up by his uncle. Even as a director where he works the traces show but he tried and his efforts yielded reasonable success. Sha hope you don't allow people intimidate you?

Thats the worst part, I get intimidated easily and I am too nice, I rarely say no to requests even if its at my own detriment

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:02pm On Feb 26, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Na for our house oh. She no dey pity at all

jeez, she no suppose beat u na
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

Who did you steal the garri from first! I had always know that the only punishment given to thieves is violent beatings. Maybe she did that to deter you from trying it a second time
Omo na hunger o. I stole d garri in our house. I went to bed without food d previous night. That was usually the punishment. After any little offence, no dinner for the offender but others will eat. I used to go to sch hungry then. Thank almighty God I didn't end up being a thief.
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

jeez, she no suppose beat u na
Her case was kinda psychological though. She's a single mother and harboured bitterness for a long while. She still does, but we've outgrown it

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 12:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

Thats the worst part, I get intimidated easily and I am too nice, I rarely say no to requests even if its at my own detriment
No people will tend to take advantage of you
First of all be yourself. Everyone must not be your friend thus you must not please everyone ( this doesn't mean you should be nasty or rude but don't displease your self always to please others)
Don't let any one on this earth excersise undue influence over you.always take your stand. Know what you want and go for it no matter the obstacles. Don't let any situation scare you. Look into the mirror every morning and speak constructive words into your life.
You may crave for love and acceptance but don't let anyone enslave or exploit you. You are great, the only being greater than you is God, work with this. God see you through... You are the best. Be confident in yourself. Many are wishing to be like you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Her case was kinda psychological though. She's a single mother and harboured bitterness for a long while. She still does, but we've outgrown it

oh, now i understand better
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:12pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

No people will tend to take advantage of you
First of all be yourself. Everyone must not be your friend thus you must not please everyone ( this doesn't mean you should be nasty or rude but don't displease your self always to please others)
Don't let any one on this earth excersise undue influence over you.always take your stand. Know what you want and go for it no matter the obstacles. Don't let any situation scare you. Look into the mirror and speak constructive words into your life.
You may crave for love and acceptance but don't let anyone enslave or exploit you. You are great, the only being greater than you is God, work with this. God see you through...

thank you so much for the great advice ma
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 12:18pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

thank you so much for the great advice ma
You're welcome. I wish to get progressive reports from you. Make sure you read books. I'll check out some inspirational books for you.
Later...
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

You're welcome. I wish to get progressive reports from you. Make sure you read books. I'll check out some inspirational books for you.
Later...

m patiently waiting for your recommendations ma cos its already getting boring, in a class of 100+ students, I don't talk to anyone
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 12:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

m patiently waiting for your recommendations ma cos its already getting boring, in a class of 100+ students, I don't talk to anyone
Let's start with this task: Talk to 10 people today. I mean walk up to them, initiate a conversation, make sure you get their hostel address, hobbies, department and favourite course. That means you really have to go into conversation with them as you cannot approach and jus ask. Keep me posted. Some may not be in the mood so move to the next person. It's their loss ( anyone that wouldn't want to'gist' with you)

1 Like

Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 12:36pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

Let's start with this task: Talk to 10 people today. I mean walk up to them, initiate a conversation, make sure you get their hostel address, hobbies, department and favourite course. That means you really have to go into conversation with them as you cannot approach and jus ask. Keep me posted. Some may not be in the mood so move to the next person. It's their loss ( anyone that wouldn't want to'gist' with you)

To be candid, I will choose stopping a moving train over this, I am EXTREMELY shy and I dont knw how to start a Conversation unless its an online convo
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Chidoks(f): 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
Opistorincos:

To be candid, I will choose stopping a moving train over this, I am EXTREMELY shy and I dont knw how to start a Conversation unless its an online convo
You will one day graduate, serve, apply for jobs and stand infront a panel of interviewers to answer questions.
You may come out with good grades but at a point your demeanor will be evaluated especially with your course of study...
So task 1: speak to 5 males, 5 females today. Engage them in such a manner that when you promise them you' all check them up they'll be glad. The clock is ticking...
I'm going off line now, I'll see you around 7pm with enough gist from you...
Re: Annoying Behaviours Nigerian Parents Exhibit by Opistorincos(m): 1:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chidoks:

You will one day graduate, serve, apply for jobs and stand infront a panel of interviewers to answer questions.
You may come out with good grades but at a point your demeanor will be evaluated especially with your course of study...
So task 1: speak to 5 males, 5 females today. Engage them in such a manner that when you promise them you' all check them up they'll be glad. The clock is ticking...
I'm going off line now, I'll see you around 7pm with enough gist from you...

okay ma, i will surely work towards it

(1) (Reply)

My Wife Is The Best Cook / How Can One Cope With Sexual Urge During Separation Period From The Partner? / Silky Kola For Sale CALL/WHATSAP 08030728324@ Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.