Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? (5456 Views)

What Happened To Tinapa? / Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! / Donald Duke: A Fraud Or Visionary? (Tinapa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by naijaking1: 4:59pm On Jul 24, 2009
Crude Oil:

The Federal government kills everything. From education-healthcare-trensport-etc. So tinapa is not an exclusion.

Tinapapa is a victim of Yar'dua's wipe out of evrything OBJ did. If the mugu from Katsina doesn't understand Free Enterprise zone, and Tax free concept it may be too late to teach him. Kobojunkie and other northerners can continue their circular arguments for the sake of debate, but the people who invested millions into that project will loose their money, and other people watching them would never dream about investing in Nigeria again for a very long time to come.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by OluToye: 7:03pm On Jul 24, 2009
@ Jaguda. Comparing the Calabar carnival to Tinapa is like comparing the running of a nursery school with that of a university. Its completely different and requires different expertise.

This article is old anyways any recent news on tinapa?
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Jul 24, 2009
naijaking1:

Tinapapa is a victim of Yar'dua's wipe out of evrything OBJ did. If the mugu from Katsina doesn't understand Free Enterprise zone, and Tax free concept it may be too late to teach him. Kobojunkie and other northerners can continue their circular arguments for the sake of debate, but the people who invested millions into that project will loose their money, and other people watching them would never dream about investing in Nigeria again for a very long time to come.

a) I am not a northerner, neither am I from rivers area.
b) I have friends, and know of people from the north, and south west who invested in companies vested in Tinapa. I can even get you a list of Nigerians willing and ready to invest in any good venture anywhere in the country, regardless of location.
c) Stop trying to play the PITY CARD in arguments and lay down facts for once. Tinapa, if successful benefits ALL, not some of Nigeria. It does not and cannot take away from Lagos and other projects but it can certainly help to draw more market to Nigeria and away from surrounding economies in west and probably east africa. Can we stop being myopic in our reasoning for once and step outside of ourselves in analyzing FACTS?
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Jul 24, 2009
@Jaguda, I am not sure what your point there is. All I have said is it was not well planned and your argument seems to point to that being the case. Not sure what else you are trying to say there, if anything else.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by ACHOJAH: 9:17pm On Jul 24, 2009
Let us assume that the NL critics of Tinapa are right and more versed in financial and strategic matters than KPMG, Vetiver and all the Banks in Nigeria & South Africa that invested in the project. Please share your uncommon wisdom.

Rather than telling us 'it wasn't planned well', please be specific about the failing so we can all learn something.
Was the failure in:
Legal /Regulatory Framework.
Finance and Investment
Construction Project Management.
Logistics
Content & Facilities Management
Site location &Tourist attraction

Better still, do something different on NL, offer ideas that can help rescue the situation.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by naijatoday: 9:34pm On Jul 24, 2009
Logistics.

The calabar port is too small, they have been calling on the government to dredge it. My thing is you know how useless the government is in the first place, so why wait for the federal government. The road network needs to improve too.

Look at Lagos, they are also building a free trade zone in Lagos, but they are going about it in a different way. First the Lekki to epe road expansion, opening up of the lagos-badagry road that will lead to west African countries (work is expected to start August/September). they are also building a port (by a private company), they are not waiting for federal government to come and build their port. All this will help when they start the FTZ.

The only thing the government needs to do is concession the 4th mainland bridge and this will help with the logistics.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Jul 24, 2009
Yes, we should "PROFFER MORE SOLUTIONS" on NL. look around you. How many of the hundreds of "PROFFERRED SOLUTIONS" have so far been implemented?

It seems when people have nothing to say, they start harping that folks instead PROFFER MORE SOLUTIONS as if already available SOLUTIONS have been tried. PLANNING is PLANNING. YOU PLAN and then you EXECUTE YOUR PLAN. IF YOU cannot plan, then don't execute. Why is that solution not good enough?
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by SapeleGuy: 10:43am On Jul 25, 2009
Tinapa is probably the most well planned and executed project in Nigeria's History. The amount of progress they have made in such a short space of time is to be encouraged.

Kobojunkie:

PLANNING is PLANNING. YOU PLAN and then you EXECUTE YOUR PLAN. IF YOU cannot plan, then don't execute. Why is that solution not good enough?

The project is remarkable in every regard except in one regard, the positive nature of the project must be very difficult for the eternal naysayers to accept.

“the failure of the Federal Government to approve the Procedures and Guidelines for the operation of the resort, the construction of Tinapa has been completed and all that remains is for the Federal Government to approve the Procedures and Guidelines that were jointly prepared by the same Government and private stakeholders since October 2007.”
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Jul 25, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Tinapa is probably the most well planned and executed project in Nigeria's History. The amount of progress they have made in such a short space of time is to be encouraged.
Short time? The project is years old. What short time are you speaking of here. I have to know what you are on about in order to appropriately respond.

SapeleGuy:

The project is remarkable in every regard except in one regard, the positive nature of the project must be very difficult for the eternal naysayers to accept.
Oh boy!!! Is it ever possible that one day, we will instead of blaming the so-called “naysayers” who never did anything wrong but point out possible flaws in our thinking, take full responsibility for our actions and ineptitude?

SapeleGuy:

“the failure of the Federal Government to approve the Procedures and Guidelines for the operation of the resort, the construction of Tinapa has been completed and all that remains is for the Federal Government to approve the Procedures and Guidelines that were jointly prepared by the same Government and private stakeholders since October 2007.”
I don’t understand how you cannot see the problem in the above. Does this “BUILD IT with no backup plans, and even before we have approval right in our hands” mentality really work for any project? Why is it always everyone else’s faults when we do not plan well in the first place?

You state that there were papers to be approved by the federal government that significantly impact the success of the project, yet, instead of waiting to ensure the approval was received first, the project planners went ahead with building their dream. Now the government has been stalling on approving these papers and you think the government is to blame for the non success of the project? Sigh!!! I think it is best I allow you believe as you will cause I see this going nowhere.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by SapeleGuy: 9:14pm On Jul 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Short time? The project is years old. What short time are you speaking of here. I have to know what you are on about in order to appropriately respond.
Oh boy!!! Is it ever possible that one day, we will instead of blaming the so-called “naysayers” who never did anything wrong but point out possible flaws in our thinking, take full responsibility for our actions and ineptitude?

From the start in January 2004 to what was opened in 2007 refers to the short time. To be a naysayer is simply wrong, constructive criticism is welcome but I'm still searching for the constructive bit to your input.

Kobojunkie:

I don’t understand how you cannot see the problem in the above. Does this “BUILD IT with no backup plans, and even before we have approval right in our hands” mentality really work for any project? Why is it always everyone else’s faults when we do not plan well in the first place?
Forget cross river for a second, the federal goverment also underwrote the project via a bond, so why would they frustrate their own investment?

Kobojunkie:

You state that there were papers to be approved by the federal government that significantly impact the success of the project, yet, instead of waiting to ensure the approval was received first, the project planners went ahead with building their dream. Now the government has been stalling on approving these papers and you think the government is to blame for the non success of the project? Sigh!!! I think it is best I allow you believe as you will cause I see this going nowhere.
The site was approved by NEPZA, so what aspect of planning are you talking about.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 9:19pm On Jul 25, 2009
Aarrgghh!!! Now I get it!!! Simply point out what I saw wrong in the planning of the project makes me a naysayer, nevermind that I am not the one who made the mistake in not ensuring all papers were signed and a GO before embarking on such a huge project in a country like Nigeria? Like I said, better I leave you to believe as you want to.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by sley4life(m): 11:48pm On Jul 25, 2009
The FG never like to see anything good so killing tinapa is part of their agenda
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by nex(m): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2009
In the original plan for Tinapa, they forgot to include a hospital, clinic or sick bay. So if anything had happened to anyone there, the person would most likely die.

I don't know if they've corrected that.

I have no problem with Tinapa in fact, I believe Donald Duke is the best governor Nigeria has seen. However, Liyel Imoke odds to sit with Duke and extensively discuss this Tinapa thing because I believe Imoke does not really know the purpose which Tinapa was to serve.

@Sapeleguy

what did I dismiss? APPROVED ACTIVITY is clearly mentioned in the Tinapa regulations.

You people keep mentioning the fact that it is an EXPORT PROCESSING ZONE, but you refuse to agree to what EPZ means. It means ship in resource or raw materials, manufacture or assemble, then ship out.

The trade fairers were not doing that. They imported finished goods, sold them to Nigerians and the buyers were taking them home. Has EXPORT been PROCESSED in that manner?

You have no clue that what they FG is doing there is protecting our interest.

Manufacturers in Nigeria pay tax. VAT, import duty, corporate tax, even income tax. Do you know what will happen to all these many jobs will be lost if the FG allows us to convert Tinapa from an Export Processing Zone to an IMPORT DUTY FREE ZONE?!

Please now, Nigerians if we won't help ourselves, at least let us allow another person to help us.

So how will Tinapa create jobs if nothing is going to be processed for export? Is it the sales boys that will be in shopping malls that is the massive job creation?

Tell me how revenue will be generated when companies come from abroad, do not pay any licence fee, import goods without paying import duty, sell to Nigerians without remitting any VAT, then repatriate the money they make back to their country. How is revenue now generated for the state or nation?

Do you believe that is what is done in Dubai?

Please, let's help ourselves. Do the right thing.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by babapupa: 12:32am On Jul 27, 2009
Point blank,

Hausa boys are stalling developments in the south, they've been pulling the same stunts for decades. They stalled and killed Lagos state's 1st metro rail attempt in 1977, they eve tried to pull the same nonsense with the Eko Atlantic city project. Luckily, lagos of today is full of leaders with balls, great vision and determination, they're finding it difficult to mess with lagos now because the state is hip to the hausa boys BS, Fashola is running circles around them and getting things done. The problem in the SS and SE is a little complicated because the leaders are part of the corrupt and useless system, they sold their souls to the hausa boys, they have no independence and are willing to carry water bottles for their political masters in Abuja @ the expense of their people.

Too bad some elements in the east are still preoccupied and distracted with nonsense like MASSOB/Biafra, they're getting left behind because the leaders don't give a rats ass about MASSOB/Biafra, they are busy dancing with the devil and lining their pockets, sacrificing needed development and all the good stuff.

Right now, for any state in Nigeria to advance and develop, they have to develop some kind of pseudo independence and walk their way around Abuja, nothing is gonna happen with your leaders in their pockets, you just can't do shit.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by udezue(m): 1:58am On Jul 27, 2009
babapupa:

Point blank,

Hausa boys are stalling developments in the south, they've been pulling the same stunts for decades. They stalled and killed Lagos state's 1st metro rail attempt in 1977, they eve tried to pull the same nonsense with the Eko Atlantic city project. Luckily, lagos of today is full of leaders with balls, great vision and determination, they're finding it difficult to mess with lagos now because the state is hip to the hausa boys BS, Fashola is running circles around them and getting things done. The problem in the SS and SE is a little complicated because the leaders are part of the corrupt and useless system, they sold their souls to the hausa boys, they have no independence and are willing to carry water bottles for their political masters in Abuja @ the expense of their people.

Too bad some elements in the east are still preoccupied and distracted with nonsense like MASSOB/Biafra, they're getting left behind because the leaders don't give a rats ass about MASSOB/Biafra, they are busy dancing with the devil and lining their pockets, sacrificing needed development and all the good stuff.

Right now, for any state in Nigeria to advance and develop, they have to develop some kind of pseudo independence and walk their way around Abuja, nothing is gonna happen with your leaders in their pockets, you just can't do shit.

I like that.
MASSOB is a result of the injustice.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by oyinda3(f): 6:34am On Jul 27, 2009
so tinapa has become a white elephant after all (for the time being at least). that's a shame though i remember we were all praising it when it was being built
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 27, 2009
With all the advert on CNN!! shocked shocked

What a waste
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by oyinda3(f): 6:42am On Jul 27, 2009
nex:

In the original plan for Tinapa, they forgot to include a hospital, clinic or sick bay. So if anything had happened to anyone there, the person would most likely die.

I don't know if they've corrected that.

I have no problem with Tinapa in fact, I believe Donald Duke is the best governor Nigeria has seen. However, Liyel Imoke odds to sit with Duke and extensively discuss this Tinapa thing because I believe Imoke does not really know the purpose which Tinapa was to serve.

@Sapeleguy

what did I dismiss?  APPROVED ACTIVITY is clearly mentioned in the Tinapa regulations.

You people keep mentioning the fact that it is an EXPORT PROCESSING ZONE,  but you refuse to agree to what EPZ means. It means ship in resource or raw materials, manufacture or assemble, then ship out.

The trade fairers were not doing that. They imported finished goods, sold them to Nigerians and the buyers were taking them home.  Has EXPORT been PROCESSED in that manner?

You have no clue that what they FG is doing there is protecting our interest.

Manufacturers in Nigeria pay tax. VAT, import duty, corporate tax, even income tax. Do you know what will happen to all these many jobs will be lost if the FG allows us to convert Tinapa from an Export Processing Zone to an IMPORT DUTY FREE ZONE?!

Please now, Nigerians if we won't help ourselves, at least let us allow another person to help us.

So how will Tinapa create jobs if nothing is going to be processed for export? Is it the sales boys that will be in shopping malls that is the massive job creation?

Tell me how revenue will be generated when companies come from abroad, do not pay any licence fee, import goods without paying import duty, sell to Nigerians without remitting any VAT, then repatriate the money they make back to their country. How is revenue now generated for the state or nation?

Do you believe that is what is done in Dubai?

Please, let's help ourselves. Do the right thing.

you make a very solid point in your explanation of what EPZ really stands for and why the FG is really protecting our interest.
i didn't know tinapa was a zone. i thought it was just the name of the complex. and i used to think foreign countries created EPZs. ex US importing finished goods from EPZs in mexico and providing them with infrastructure and labor jobs in return etc
who are we mainly trading with in this zone?

the shops in tinapa were expecting not to pay import duties? why did they think it was their right not to pay taxes?
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by SapeleGuy: 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2009
oyinda.:

the shops in tinapa were expecting not to pay import duties? why did they think it was their right not to pay taxes? 

The point may be solid but it is WRONG and without evidence. If you want to find out the truth about export zones check out these links.

"Nigeria's FTZ regulatory regime is liberal and provides a conducive environment for profitable operations. The incentives available are among the most attractive in Africa and compares favourably with those in other parts of the world. These include:
# Exemption from all federal, state and local government taxes, levies and rates.
# Approved enterprises shall be entitled to import into a zone, free of customs duty on capital goods, consumer goods, raw materials, components and articles intended to be used for purposes of and in connection with an approved activity. "

http://www.tradeinvestnigeria.com/incentives/983064.htm
http://tinapa.com.ng/leisure/uploads/51c79402-1ff8-a23d.pdf

The Nigerian Export Processing zone Authority (Nepza) is the government Authority managing the Free Trade Zones of Nigeria.

It is Nigeria's Investment Promotion Agency for investment into the Free Zone areas in Nigeria . The licensing, monitoring and regulation of Free Zones Scheme in Nigeria is vested on the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority by the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Act 63 of 1992.

The enabling Act also confers on the Authority the power to approve and grant all licenses and permits to the exclusion of all other Agencies, enforce obedience and compliance to rules and regulations. In effect, the Act is an omnibus law, which permits the Authority and its Board the power to define the policy directions and provide a One-Stop-Shop business transaction without bureaucracy.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by SapeleGuy: 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2009
Tinapa Shipping Line makes maiden voyage
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/29/tinapa-shipping-line-makes-maiden-voyage/comment-page-1/

September 29, 2009.

Categories: National News

By John Ighodaro
CALABAR—The Tinapa Shipping Line, which started operations Monday as a cargo vessel to serve the Tinapa Business Resort and neighbouring state, made its maiden voyage to the dormant Calabar Sea Port in Calabar, Cross River State.

The shipping services, a collaboration between the Tinapa Business Resort and Ropacorp Shipping Services, is part of efforts to ignite business at the Tinapa Business Resort and boost the economy of the state and the surrounding areas.

The ship, a 4500 metric ton cargo vessel owned by Mr. Robert Glover, a Cross Riverian, is one of the four planned by the shipping line.

It came in from Italy, laden with diverse goods largely imported by operators at the Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort.

Managing Director of Ropacorp Shipping Services, Mr. Robert Glover, said the ship would ply Calabar and the West African coast every four days and would serve mostly business operators at the Tinapa and others doing business at the Calabar Free Trade Zone and beyond.

The vessel has the capacity to carry about 300 containers and would be manned by Russian and Ukrainian crew, who would in due time be replaced by a Nigerian crew to conform with the provisions of the cabbotage law.

Managing Director of Tinapa Business Resort, Bassey Ndem, expressed hope that the development would bring about a huge economic impact to the operations of Tinapa and the state.

His words: “The operation of Tinapa Express will rejuvenate the Calabar Port. The port here will enjoy all the fees, transport firms in Calabar and container handlers will benefit and there will be creation of other jobs, increase of economic activities will take place instantly.”
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by naijaking1: 11:17pm On Oct 13, 2009
I hope people at Abuja will let this project see the light of day. Those that don't understand the meaning of tax-free one or export free one ought to learn the meaning before shutting down the Tinapa project.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by jaguda(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2009
@ Kobojunkie, have u been to Tinapa? Do not understand what you are saying? are u saying the Duke Admin. was wrong to embark on the project or that it is okay for Imoke govt to abandon the project? or u fail to see the big picture for Calabar, as a tourist/shopping destination? Do you even have an inkling about the idea behind Tinapa/Carnival/tourism project? or must u comment on every thread for the sake of hearing yourself?
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by DisGuy: 10:19pm On Mar 08, 2011
naijaking1:

I hope people at Abuja will let this project see the light of day. Those that don't understand the meaning of tax-free one or export free one ought to learn the meaning before shutting down the Tinapa project.

lol the people in Abuja are also the people from all these places where 'abuja' is deliberately stunting their growth!

Federal government to bail out Tinapa

A lifeline could be on the way for the moribund Tinapa business and leisure project in Calabar, Cross River State, as President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday promised that his administration will not allow the N75 billion shopping complex to rot away.

Addressing PDP presidential campaign rally at the U.J. Esuene Stadium, Calabar, the president said the project executed by the Donald Duke administration holds a lot of promise for Nigeria’s commerce and tourism that it will be supported totally to reap the fruit of its investment.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5681843-146/story.csp

another state another empty promise tongue
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Dede1(m): 12:00am On Mar 09, 2011
The argument for or against TINAPA and trade terminologies such as EPZ, FTZ or TFZ would have made sense if Nigeria is a country. It is really funny that people are trying very hard to associate humanly protocols for exchange of goods and services with a jungle such as Nigeria.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Mar 09, 2011
jaguda:

@ Kobojunkie, have u been to Tinapa? Do not understand what you are saying? are u saying the Duke Admin. was wrong to embark on the project or that it is okay for Imoke govt to abandon the project? or u fail to see the big picture for Calabar, as a tourist/shopping destination? Do you even have an inkling about the idea behind Tinapa/Carnival/tourism project? or must u comment on every thread for the sake of hearing yourself?

See silly questions ooo . . . how did I not catch this? lol
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 09, 2011
Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa?
is that not what they do ,kill everything from ajaokuta steel to nepa to railway to roads so why should tinapa be an exception?
its simple , kill it , let people forget about it then cut a deal with foriegn investors to buy it ,that way the money goes into personal pockets rather than states or public pocket.
its just buisness and nothing personal
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by ekubear1: 6:40am On Mar 09, 2011
This culture of dependency, waiting on the FG to do everything in Nigeria is part of the reason Nigeria cannot move forward. Smh.
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 09, 2011
Dede1:

The argument for or against TINAPA and trade terminologies such as EPZ, FTZ or TFZ would have made sense if Nigeria is a country. It is really funny that people are trying very hard to associate humanly protocols for exchange of goods and services with a jungle such as Nigeria.
grin grin cry
Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by DisGuy: 5:59pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dis Guy:

lol the people in Abuja are also the people from all these places where 'abuja' is deliberately stunting their growth!

Federal government to bail out Tinapa

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5681843-146/story.csp

another state another empty promise tongue

Re: Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? by DisGuy: 8:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
2013?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill Plateau PDP Chief And Family / Disgraced Former APC Governor On The Run; Faces Treason Charges / Lai Muhammed Abducted By Masked-men In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.