Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Nigeria And Our Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Our Economy (892 Views)

List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings / PDP: Niger Delta Avengers Destroying Our Economy / APC Have Destroyed Our Economy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 12:27pm On Feb 26, 2016
Its amusing the comments one gets to read on nairaland. Gone through a couple of threads in the politics section and i see quite a number of people not wanting to look beyond their nose on the matter of the Nigerian economy.
The present condition of Nigeria is similar to the way diseases take over the body. First, it gets into the host organism, it weakens the bodily defenses of the host before it causes the final breakdown of the host. This takes time but if not tackled at the right time the host dies. And applying a cure when the illness is far down the line does not manifest overnight. It gradually heals the host, right?
Yeah, so relating this back to NIGERIA, the circumstances surrounding the fall of the naira and our economical turbulence is not something that started a decade ago. It has started way back and all we the majority of the people did was go about our businesses since it hasn't pushed us to the wall. Now, it has and all we do is blame Buhari. Why Because he his OUR president and seems to be the most reasonable person to take the blame at the moment.
But, i would like you to see it this way;
* Is it his fault that shale was discovered (discovery of shale started the downing of crude oil prices on the international market)?
* Is it his fault that Nigeria has no major export apart from crude oil?
* Is it his fault that NIGERIA lacks investments in manufacturing, agriculture, infrastructures and our skillful expertise is low?
Nooo!!!
So i wonder why when i turn to every corner all i see is people blaming Buhari for any mishaps. Sure he banned imports, but until we see the good motives behind harsh decisions, we would not understand what good those decisions would bear for our future as a nation. Think of the possibility of manufacturing those imported goods locally, imagine the reduction in market prices, revenue generated, youths employed, e.t.c. Lets begin to think of things panning out on the long run and stop being short-sighted. That's what countries (U.S.A, U.K, china) we are trying to emulate do and what is our fate if we keep being short-sighted?
No doubt he is doing somethings (a lot) quite slow, but really would you blame him if you were in his shoes knowing that getting something wrong could get you crucified by the people who you are trying to lead right. Seriously!!! I think we should cut him some slack and criticisms directed at him should be constructive in every manner, take actions to help the economy (get Nigerian made and the really "big men" could go into manufacturing, e.t.c.). Truth is the Nigerian economy is passing through this as a result of we realising the position in which we stand ( that our economy is very vulnerable despite the "largest economy" talks). And i think this is good because we could tackle it now, other than ignore it which would ultimately collapse or economy.
"Ëverything will usually get worse before it gets better ..."is a truth known to us all and we passing through our worse now simply means our better days are closer than it would have been if our worse days were to hit us latter. So we want a better Nigeria? Support the growing of the naira and in turn the economy and do whatever in your capacity to make the economy better because the little efforts you and i make would on the whole translate to a big step.
P.S: I rep a better naija and not political parties or individuals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by EasternActivist: 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2016
Oga I have questions for you.

Is almost getting to a year Buhari came to power, what is he doing to salvage the collapsing economy.

Or will he continue to blame past leaders until the economy crumbles?

If we don't hold our leaders responsible can we hold you responsible??
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 1:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
EasternActivist:
Oga I have questions for you.

Is almost getting to a year Buhari came to power, what is he doing to salvage the collapsing economy.

Or will he continue to blame past leaders until the economy crumbles?

If we don't hold our leaders responsible can we hold you responsible??
No doubt that he is taking a lot of time to make judgement calls, but are you implying that Buhari has just been sitting down in the Aso-rock villa and watching things pan out? Sure, I believe he is taking steps in "finding out" the solution to our economy. This could be seen in the various meetings he has been attending. So many advice and i believe he is taking time to rationalize and prioritize which "for now" the economic state of the country is the highest on the list.
That been said, blaming past or present leaders would not get us anywhere. It's just like starring at an infected wound and reminiscing on its cause. It doesn't heal the wound. I would not want to be held responsible for what i did not do or for circumstances that was not of my making. This problems faced now were existing but our leaders decided to turn a blind eye towards it. Buhari trying to make amends to somethings only brought out the effect of Murphy's law.
Now how we deal with this matters alot. Either we continue to blame him and pressure him to leave Nigeria the way he met her or take positive steps to move the country forward. I'm not saying i'm a #Buharifanatic, but, if we criticize constructively we might just pressure him to take us a step closer to the Nigeria of our dreams. I have a part to play in that, you also have a part to play. We as a nation have a part to play. #Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by TruthisGOD: 1:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Peezy:
Its amusing the comments one gets to read on nairaland. Gone through a couple of threads in the politics section and i see quite a number of people not wanting to look beyond their nose on the matter of the Nigerian economy.
The present condition of Nigeria is similar to the way diseases take over the body. First, it gets into the host organism, it weakens the bodily defenses of the host before it causes the final breakdown of the host. This takes time but if not tackled at the right time the host dies. And applying a cure when the illness is far down the line does not manifest overnight. It gradually heals the host, right?
Yeah, so relating this back to NIGERIA, the circumstances surrounding the fall of the naira and our economical turbulence is not something that started a decade ago. It has started way back and all we the majority of the people did was go about our businesses since it hasn't pushed us to the wall. Now, it has and all we do is blame Buhari. Why Because he his OUR president and seems to be the most reasonable person to take the blame at the moment.
But, i would like you to see it this way;
* Is it his fault that shale was discovered (discovery of shale started the downing of crude oil prices on the international market)?
* Is it his fault that Nigeria has no major export apart from crude oil?
* Is it his fault that NIGERIA lacks investments in manufacturing, agriculture, infrastructures and our skillful expertise is low?
Nooo!!!
So i wonder why when i turn to every corner all i see is people blaming Buhari for any mishaps. Sure he banned imports, but until we see the good motives behind harsh decisions, we would not understand what good those decisions would bear for our future as a nation. Think of the possibility of manufacturing those imported goods locally, imagine the reduction in market prices, revenue generated, youths employed, e.t.c. Lets begin to think of things panning out on the long run and stop being short-sighted. That's what countries (U.S.A, U.K, china) we are trying to emulate do and what is our fate if we keep being short-sighted?
No doubt he is doing somethings (a lot) quite slow, but really would you blame him if you were in his shoes knowing that getting something wrong could get you crucified by the people who you are trying to lead right. Seriously!!! I think we should cut him some slack and criticisms directed at him should be constructive in every manner, take actions to help the economy (get Nigerian made and the really "big men" could go into manufacturing, e.t.c.). Truth is the Nigerian economy is passing through this as a result of we realising the position in which we stand ( that our economy is very vulnerable despite the "largest economy" talks). And i think this is good because we could tackle it now, other than ignore it which would ultimately collapse or economy.
"Ëverything will usually get worse before it gets better ..."is a truth known to us all and we passing through our worse now simply means our better days are closer than it would have been if our worse days were to hit us latter. So we want a better Nigeria? Support the growing of the naira and in turn the economy and do whatever in your capacity to make the economy better because the little efforts you and i make would on the whole translate to a big step.
P.S: I rep a better naija and not political parties or individuals.
Shale oil was discovered more than 50yrs ago. It's exploitation is what started within a decade. My problem with Buhari goverment is the breakdown of our budget. Is there any common sense when the money allotted to information ministry is far more than the one allotted to Agric and science and technology when our economy is ailing? Do you know the amount of money USA invested in shale technology for shale oil to be exploited? With our budget breakdown our economy is in a long way to be revived. Buhari goverment is waiting for oil price to appreciate which might take more than 20yrs base on my analysis. My final opinion is that Nigeria leaders lack creativity expecially this goverment. GEJ goverment tried with his Agricultural revolution but Buhari goverment needs much to be desired. Looking at his goverment and the budget, regression analysis will give you an insight where the country is heading to.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by EasternActivist: 1:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
Peezy:

No doubt that he is taking a lot of time to make judgement calls, but are you implying that Buhari has just been sitting down in the Aso-rock villa and watching things pan out? Sure, I believe he is taking steps in "finding out" the solution to our economy. This could be seen in the various meetings he has been attending. So many advice and i believe he is taking time to rationalize and prioritize which "for now" the economic state of the country is the highest on the list.
That been said, blaming past or present leaders would not get us anywhere. It's just like starring at an infected wound and reminiscing on its cause. It doesn't heal the wound. I would not want to be held responsible for what i did not do or for circumstances that was not of my making. This problems faced now were existing but our leaders decided to turn a blind eye towards it. Buhari trying to make amends to somethings only brought out the effect of Murphy's law.
Now how we deal with this matters alot. Either we continue to blame him and pressure him to leave Nigeria the way he met her or take positive steps to move the country forward. I'm not saying i'm a #Buharifanatic, but, if we criticize constructively we might just pressure him to take us a step closer to the Nigeria of our dreams. I have a part to play in that, [b]you also have a part to play. [/b]We as a nation have a part to play. #Cheers

If Buhari has been doing something except on going for sightseeing, tourism and medical vacation in the Eldorado and visiting Nigeria.
Tell us one thing that is economic viable that he has done. In fact tell us one achievement he has done without little or no giant strides..

Remember in the past, from the facet of the sw all Jonathan got was destructive criticism that doesn't help anyone. But here you are screaming, wailing and yelling for a constructive criticism that will help the person in whose name cluelessness was published on Oxford and Long man dictionary.

At the boldened what kind of mischievousness do you want to achieve with that? which part do I have to play that I didn't play during the election campaign.? You that voted for the most clueless one wasn't it a move to get at the SS and SE.
Buhari is not even helping matters labeling us the 5% yet the 95% which I call the zombies and called disables by the president can't even defend their vote rather they blame past administration and defend every poo from the dullard.

Seriously is unlike them, but the fittest has to survive in this ugly situation we all has found ourselves. Let's fasten our seat belt as we journey to the worst coming before & after us in this country.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
TruthisGOD:
Shale oil was discovered more than 50yrs ago. It's exploitation is what started within a decade. My problem with Buhari goverment is the breakdown of our budget. Is there any common sense when the money allotted to information ministry is far more than the one allotted to Agric and science and technology when our economy is ailing? Do you know the amount of money USA invested in shale technology for shale oil to be exploited? With our budget breakdown our economy is in a long way to be revived. Buhari goverment is waiting for oil price to appreciate which might take more than 20yrs base on my analysis. My final opinion is that Nigeria leaders lack creativity expecially this goverment. GEJ goverment tried with his Agricultural revolution but Buhari goverment needs much to be desired. Looking at his goverment and the budget, regression analysis will give you an insight where the country is heading to.
Thanks for the correction about shale. Actually the budget was a disappointment and i was pretty happy it was withdrawn. As i said earlier, I'm not a #Buharifanatic but someone who wants to see a better Nigeria. I really i'm of the belief that the only effective way to change this country is to change the mindset of people. Because we have been programmed (knowingly or unknowingly) to see public offices as a role to play God and to take as much funds as possible because we won't be there forever. And some also wants to be there forever. As funny as it seems, I could only come up with brain-washing every Nigerian to achieve that (just a thought that came at that point in time #thinking wild grin).
That would be wrong right? Yeah. So the truth is we have to make do with what and who we have been realistic. Good counsel is needed by the president, but don't let us relax and expect Buhari and all his ministers to correct everything. We have our roles, no matter how little it is to play. And yes we do need to invest heavily in agricultural and maufacturing industries. I'm waiting for the next budget too though, but we could do better by pushing our leaders thought to a better Nigeria as it was done with the previous budget. Integrating little you get big.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
EasternActivist:

If Buhari has been doing something except on going for sightseeing, tourism and medical vacation in the Eldorado and visiting Nigeria.
Tell us one thing that is economic viable that he has done. In fact tell us one achievement he has done without little or no giant strides..

Remember in the past, from the facet of the sw all Jonathan got was destructive criticism that doesn't help anyone. But here you are screaming, wailing and yelling for a constructive criticism that will help the person in whose name cluelessness was published on Oxford and Long man dictionary.

At the boldened what kind of mischievousness do you want to achieve with that? which part do I have to play that I didn't play during the election campaign.? You that voted for the most clueless one wasn't it a move to get at the SS and SE.
Buhari is not even helping matters labeling us the 5% yet the 95% which I call the zombies and called disables by the president can't even defend their vote rather they blame past administration and defend every poo from the dullard.

Seriously is unlike them, but the fittest has to survive in this ugly situation we all has found ourselves. Let's fasten our seat belt as we journey to the worst coming before & after us in this country.
I would have love to tell you that all Buhari's trips were official and none of the above, but i have no evidence or proof to do that. You seem really pissed at him though and i can see you are all out for GEJ. Truth be told I had an open mind about GEJ and watched as things evolved. Though I have quite a number of reservations for GEJ (as i do PMB), but he isn't the president right now.
I would like to add that you voting then hoping and praying does not assure you of a good leadership even under the best leaders. The budget was proposed, people rose up and condemned it. The budget was not passed. That is part of the role we could all play. Seriously until we begin to realise that Nigeria is bigger than PMB, GEJ, e.t.c, we would keep making our choices based on prejudice instead of the interest of the country at large. Yeah, its gonna get worse, buh i believe there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by TruthisGOD: 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
Peezy:

Thanks for the correction about shale. Actually the budget was a disappointment and i was pretty happy it was withdrawn. As i said earlier, I'm not a #Buharifanatic but someone who wants to see a better Nigeria. I really i'm of the belief that the only effective way to change this country is to change the mindset of people. Because we have been programmed (knowingly or unknowingly) to see public offices as a role to play God and to take as much funds as possible because we won't be there forever. And some also wants to be there forever. As funny as it seems, I could only come up with brain-washing every Nigerian to achieve that (just a thought that came at that point in time #thinking wild grin).
That would be wrong right? Yeah. So the truth is we have to make do with what and who we have been realistic. Good counsel is needed by the president, but don't let us relax and expect Buhari and all his ministers to correct everything. We have our roles, no matter how little it is to play. And yes we do need to invest heavily in agricultural and maufacturing industries. I'm waiting for the next budget too though, but we could do better by pushing our leaders thought to a better Nigeria as it was done with the previous budget. Integrating little you get big.
I agree with you, we need to change our mindset and encourage our leaders. However, a leader equally has the duty to change the mindset of his followers or the people he leads. How many times have you seen Buhari in any of our National TV talk to Nigerians, give them hope, show his econmic plans, inculcate hope and moral support in the face of this economic challenges? Instead you hear him making some divisive and derogatory remarks against the citizenry. Buhari simply lacks the tenacity. There is more to leadership than fighting corruption. What happens when Buhari anti corruption tenure elapses? Will corruption go? The key to corruption is strong insistution and law enforcement. When we attach immunity clause to office holders we are simply encouraging corruption. Another problem with our leaders is that they are basically unprepared. There is no hope in a situation where somebody will wake up and want to rule Nigeria without studying the challenges the country is facing both economically and otherwise. If you have read Audacity of hope by Obama you will appreciate how prepared obama was before becoming a president. For years Obama studied every sectors of United State economy; from manufacturing, science and technology to education. He even had a tour of all the major small and medium scale industries, learning their challenges and how the can improve. Consequently, when he entered into power United states economy experience an unprecedented growth and the shale oil exploitation started. There was more jobs than ever. I've been studying Buhari goverment with keen interest. There is no economic road map. His first budget gave rise to my fear. I completely lost hope when he started trotting round the globe thinking that the solution to our local problem is foreign solution. Imagine going to beg the Saudi king to reduce their oil ouput so that our economy will improve forgetting that USA will easily close the gap with their 12.2 million barrel a day not to talk of Iran. Besides, Saudi budget depends on their oil output just like us.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 7:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
@TruthisGod, it's really been interesting sharing opinions with you and I understand and fully support your point of Buhari taking the ultimate lead and him not presenting the country's downsides. Instead he should present us with a plan (tactical and strategic). Also on corruption.
On the issue of Obama, though knowing he is human it's quite hard filling those shoes. And the American people has gotten to a point that uncertainies in agendas is met by the peoples wrath. They also have big political players who wants to be heard and the presidents indecision could cost him his seat.
Our situation is quite different you see. And we can only hope to develop our system to the level and have leaders that have the country's interest at heart.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Bevista: 7:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
Sure he banned imports, but until we see the good motives behind harsh decisions, we would not understand what good those decisions would bear for our future as a nation.
As per the text in bold, I just want to correct that PMB did not ban imports. What the CBN did was to stop those 41 items from accessing dollars from the FG Reserves for their imports. However, they are still very free to source dollars from other sources to continue their imports.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Bevista: 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
Just a little analogy
---
A man earns N100k/mth as salary. His basic needs can be settled with N80k/mth. He has been planning to start a new business and invest some of the money so he can have multiple streams of income - and just in case he loses his job.
---
However, he keeps indulging in frivolities and postponing starting the business/investment until suddenly his employer tells him that business is bad and he cannot continue paying N100k. His salary is slashed to N30k/mth.
---
Frankly speaking, the man has found himself in a position where he cannot even take care of his basic needs without borrowing. It has also become extremely difficult for him to invest or start the new business, since the sacrifice needed will be too much for him to bear.
---
Its not as easy as it seems to diversify the economy right now with the current level of revenue. We lost the opportunity to do so. The scale of sacrifice needed to do so will be excruciating on Nigerians. Most of the President’s promises were probably based on $50+ oil price.
Re: Nigeria And Our Economy by Peezy(m): 3:43pm On Feb 29, 2016
Bevista:
Just a little analogy
---
A man earns N100k/mth as salary. His basic needs can be settled with N80k/mth. He has been planning to start a new business and invest some of the money so he can have multiple streams of income - and just in case he loses his job.
---
However, he keeps indulging in frivolities and postponing starting the business/investment until suddenly his employer tells him that business is bad and he cannot continue paying N100k. His salary is slashed to N30k/mth.
---
Frankly speaking, the man has found himself in a position where he cannot even take care of his basic needs without borrowing. It has also become extremely difficult for him to invest or start the new business, since the sacrifice needed will be too much for him to bear.
---
Its not as easy as it seems to diversify the economy right now with the current level of revenue. We lost the opportunity to do so. The scale of sacrifice needed to do so will be excruciating on Nigerians. Most of the President’s promises were probably based on $50+ oil price.

Thanks for the correction about the ban. And to your analogy, despite how difficult it is to diversify, we all know it's a very necessary move and as soon as opportunities arise, steps should be taken towards infrastructures, agriculture, e.t.c. My only fear though is they bringing out their political-side and diverting funds.

(1) (Reply)

DSS Parades Three Over Alleged Attempt To Blackmail Agency’s DG *PIC* / Gov Ikpeazu Laments Poor State Of Federal Roads In South-east To Senate / Help!!! Osun State Govt Has Completed Plans To Sack 1,083 Workers From LAUTECH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.