Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right (26299 Views)

JAMB Adopts Pin Vending For 2017 UTME / SEE How To Calculate Points As JAMB Adopts “point System” Option For 2016 Adm / JAMB Adopts “Point System” Option For 2016 Admission. How To Calculate Points (2) (3) (4)

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by ki02020(m): 7:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
That's is more of taking away ones luck..JAMB is wicked
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by ify2016: 7:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
Jamb don dey ruin people career since 1016 BC.

Na empty threat jare!!!!!

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by brunofarad(m): 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
Mtchwww

They have time
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
That doesn't make any sense to me.

how exactly is it supposed to prevent you from guessing? will it like, prevent you from changing your answer or it will change answer . . . what can they possibly do?

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by EasternActivist: 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
How is that possible except if it is done in who wants to be a millionaire way of style...

While computer asks you whether if it is your final answer or not.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by cardiak(m): 7:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
Endtime jamb
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by amunkita(m): 7:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
That is rubbish...
Why not introduce them to theory then nd eradicate guess work...

Jamb Ndi Uwa Mmebi...
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by tsephanyah(f): 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
what is jamb pls
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by sonnie10: 8:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
If a question was rephrased and a candidate got it right the first time but wrong in another place where the question was rephrased, the "software" might mark both answers wrong.

Question would be repeated, candidates should pay attention to their original answers. You don't want to choose a different answer to the same question they repeated. The software will give you zero for the two questions if you do that.

No more guesswork! But this is a dumb thing to do because educated guess should be allowed. More like getting the right answers by eliminating the options that you are really sure are false.

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by kissval1388: 8:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
fear not jambites. do you know why??

Nigeria technology never reach this extent. it's just bla bla

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2016
manee2:
mtcheww.. goodluck to jambites shaa.. am the youngest graduate at 15 grin grin grin
What of me @ 13 ?

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Mabelenena(f): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]
oluwadanie1:
Dr Fabian Benjamin, the JAMB’s Public Relations Officer has disclosed that the board ahead of the 2016 UTME had invested in the training and acquisitions of softwares that will reduce the possibility of candidates guessing answers correctly.

He said "Technically, what we were using before to test students was what we called Classical Test Theory, but now we have adopted what we call Item Response Theory.
The difference is that the Item Response Theory reduces the percentage of guessing.The tendency for students to guess and guess right is minimal with this software."

With this development, Candidates who are experts in guessing answers to questions during examinations, may find it hard to cope unless they studied hard.

God purnish devil if wuna go succeed mtchwww
http://www.campusdailies.com/2016/02/jamb-adopts-use-of-softwares-to-reduce.html#more
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by slytubadth(m): 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
truthspeaks:
Answer na answer weda guess wrk or not. Only God knows hw much dem don embezzle through installing d software. Scammers jst plenty in dis APC era. Cnt wait for 2019. Scammers evrywhr.

Lol...APC na jamb?
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
Cutehector:
Thank God I wrote jamb light years ago. grin

When expos will be flying here and there
nothing like pen and paper exam
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
if this software affects my score. i swear! whoever created it will remain stagnant 4 3 years!

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by truthspeaks: 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
Na their era we de na abi who we go blame, Jonathan? grin
slytubadth:

Lol...APC na jamb?
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by tsamson(m): 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kelklein:
so..the software go know say person dey guess abi..?

I smell scam

They are only trying to justify why they vote so much money for computer softwares. then come up with this lie

and besides... who guessing don help

Yes.. Its simply means.. No more option... A, B, C, D, E, you will innput the correct answer
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by AmmarOscar(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2016
bigtt76:
Scam! How can software reduce the rate of successful guesses? grin well I might be wrong sha undecided
You will see how if you're writing the exam this year. if not you won't see it.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by dokJ: 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
A welcome development. Wrong answers ought to attract negative marks.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by banmee(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
dominique:
That's pure evil.

Don't let them deceive you, nothing can stop people from guessing. Especially when you have multiple choice questions. I don't think they understand what "guessing mean". It is almost impossible to know all answers and when you have the option to pick more than one answer, then you are going to guess. The only way to stop or reduces guessing answers is not to provide multiple choice questions.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by doskie(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
bigtt76:
Scam! How can software reduce the rate of successful guesses? grin well I might be wrong sha undecided
me sef I dey wonder.
I was expecting to see what he means in the article.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by sammy4life2(m): 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
justified10:
we need further explanation..

iranu

Well from what I see all they are trying to say is that in the past humans set the questions and the possible options making it easy for u just to look and guess the correct option without stress but now the options would be generated randomly by computer software which would make it difficult for u to just guess the right option as almost all options would be similar
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by persius555(m): 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
This method will only end up confusing the candidates and also make them spend valuable time making sure the wrong answers are not erronously chosen in place of right answers. This method only serves to complicate everything at their own advantage. The candidates loss is their own gain. Bunch of bull frogs.
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by necelly94(m): 8:26pm On Feb 26, 2016
This is arrant nonsense..no type of computer a.I can tell when you're guessing or not. Its not a mind reader
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by matrix199(m): 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
It's simple, the software would mix up the right answer with closely similar wrong answers. E.g " I'm in dire need of an ................
a) Acomodation
b) Accomodation
c) Accommodation
d) Acommodation

If you don't know it u don't knw it! Move along!
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by bolt000(m): 8:30pm On Feb 26, 2016
all this people and their way sef.. na them sabi undecided
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by sonnie10: 8:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
banmee:

Don't let them deceive you, nothing can stop people from guessing. Especially when you have multiple choice questions. I don't think they understand what "guessing mean". It is almost impossible to know all answers and when you have the option to pick more than one answer, then you are going to guess. The only way to stop or reduces guessing answers is not to provide multiple choice questions.

It is possible for a software to recognize guess work in a multiple choice question exam. What JAMB is doing is a variant of the software they use in placement tests abroad. For instance, if you present a college level maths from Nigeria to some colleges for admission in US, you will be given a placement test. You score in that test will determine if you are going to be placed in either Algebra , pre-calculus, calcus 1 or calculus 2.

What the software does is to populate questions for you base on you answers to previous questions. It gets to a point when you are no longer able to give correct answers because it becomes more difficult as you go along. At that point you begin to guess and the computer will stop and automatically place you on where you started guessing.

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by sanyx(m): 8:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kai jamb no just want make youths go school...bastardz embarassed
Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by seydam21(m): 8:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
I pray all the jambite this year will not write it again

why are they fearing them

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by goshen26: 8:39pm On Feb 26, 2016
why are they interested in students' failure. Set questions of good standard, if they guess or not its their cup of tea. i swear when i get there i will scrap jamb. Go to other places in the world and see how Nigerians are performing excellently, only here they will use jamb delay education, and before they finally gain the admission they have lost interest.............

Re: JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kelklein:
so..the software go know say person dey guess abi..?

I smell scam

They are only trying to justify why they vote so much money for computer softwares. then come up with this lie

and besides... who guessing don help

Me. Ehen help during my days in school

Latest News On Unilag Post Ume / Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. / What's The Toughest Course You Did/you Are Doing In School?