Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,309 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. (23606 Views)

MTN Announces Tariff Increase On Data From 1st December As Directed By NCC / Mtn 4g Is Better Than Ntel 4g With Evidence. I Got 5.7mb/s With Mtn / Hot: How To Cheat Mtn With Mtn Beta Talk (2) (3) (4)

SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by PhockPhockMan: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
The Ministry of Communications on Friday confirmed it collected N50 billion from MTN Nigeria on behalf of the Federal Government as part payment for the N780 billion fine imposed by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

The NCC had in October 2015 sanctioned MTN, one of Nigeria’s largest mobile operator, for failing to disconnect 5.1 million improperly registered lines within a prescribed deadline.

MTN thereafter challenged the fine at the Federal High Court, Lagos, but announced on Wednesday that it was settling out of court with the government.

MTN Nigeria’s Chief Executive Officer, Ferdi Moolman, announced in a statement on Wednesday that the company was withdrawing the case and making a “good faith” payment of N50 billion.
“This is a most encouraging development. It demonstrates a willingness and sincerity by both parties to work together towards a positive outcome,” Mr. Moolman said.

But the decision to settle out of court along with the payment of N50 billion appeared to have been shrouded in secrecy, as the NCC, the regulatory agency at the centre of the issue, saying its management was unaware of the deal.

Hours after Mr. Moolman’s announcement, the Director of Communication, NCC, Tony Ojobo, told PREMIUM TIMES exclusively his Commission was unaware of MTN’s decision to withdraw its court case, and the payment of N50 billion to the Nigerian government.

“We (NCC) are not privy to it (agreement to withdraw a case from court and pay N50 billion by MTN). We do not have anything to do with it. We do not have any evidence of payment of any money to the Nigerian government. There is no invoice to that effect. We have also not gotten any official information or confirmation that they have withdrawn their case in court,” Mr. Ojobo said.

“We have not even met to take a decision like that. There was no discussion whatsoever with NCC on the matter. MTN has not even met with the committee that was set to discuss these issues. We do not know the basis on which they arrived at the N50 billion they claim to have paid. We are just hearing it in the news like every other person” he added.

However, in a telephone interview with PREMIUM TIMES on Friday, the spokesperson to the Minister of Communications, Victor Oluwadamilare, confirmed the N50 billion was actually received by the ministry on behalf of government.

“I can confirm to you that MTN Nigeria has paid the sum of N50 billion to the federal government as part payment for the fine,” Mr. Oluwadamilare said. “I am sure during the coming week, further negotiations would hold on the matter. MTN wants to negotiate with the federal government. As a listening administration, government is willing to listen.”

He also confirmed that the suit against NCC had been withdrawn by MTN to pave the way for further discussions.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/199127-shocking-nigerian-govt-sidelines-regulator-ncc-strikes-secret-deal-mtn-collects-n50-billion.html
Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by tsephanyah(f): 8:06pm On Feb 26, 2016
Awesome

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Built2last: 8:07pm On Feb 26, 2016
pure sabotage....The war against corruption may remain a facade because of governments approach. this goes to butress the only thing Hilary Clinton accused us of when she visited. she said Nigeria has strong individuals and not strong institutions.

How on earth can NCC fine MTN and some idiots in the villa are building a racket for themselves.

in my opinion, i think PMB ought to have firstly built institutions, strenghten them and them come out two years later to nail corrupt fellows. the current fight against corruption is centered too much on the individual called Buhari. this is the reason, no matter how far he trys no body is in jail 9 months later.

we are insincere in this country.

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
When is the balance to be paid? At least before Hayatou returns as CAF President undecided

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by divinehand2003(m): 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
Due process is not being followed here. It's shrouded in secrecy. Backyard settlement and a little scratch my back - I scratch yours in return has taken place. Pls FG, LET NCC BE THE ORGAN OF GOVERNMENT TO SEE TO THE END OF THE MTN SAGA. NCC STARTED IT, SO IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT THEY END IT TOO. Don't take us by surprise anymore plsssss.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by PhockPhockMan: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
tsephanyah:
Awesome
Why awesome?

All I see is corruption.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by tsephanyah(f): 8:17pm On Feb 26, 2016
PhockPhockMan:
Why awesome?

All I see is corruption.
corruption is Awesome

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by LoveDecay(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
tsephanyah:
Awesome

MTN and other SA companies go humble for shizzi.

We're all brothers but S.A takes our love for granted.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by PhockPhockMan: 8:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
tsephanyah:
corruption is Awesome

Ok.

Lalasticlala, obinoscopy.
Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Tallesty1(m): 8:27pm On Feb 26, 2016
PhockPhockMan:
Why awesome?

All I see is corruption.
A corrupt corruption my brother.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Acjohn(m): 8:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
Same thing that ruined GEJ government is rearing it head again.
The kettles that call pot black I hope are taking note. It won't be out of place that this thing is properly investigated and every shady deal unearthed, if not we are going back to same rot that we claim we have ran from.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by abumeinben(m): 8:44pm On Feb 26, 2016

Legal bribery
Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by brunofarad(m): 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
Is this not kwurpusion ?

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Abeyjide: 8:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
thats why NCC said they were studying the payment. I knew when they heard #50bil,they started misbehaving.what a country

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by LordAdam: 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Acjohn:
Same thing that ruined GEJ government is rearing it head again.
The kettles that call pot black I hope are taking note. It won't be out of place that this thing is properly investigated and every shady deal unearthed, if not we are going back to same rot that we claim we have ran from.

Na wetin most people no go see. That N50b don march. Na to use am settle person when invest for Buhari campaign. That is after minister et al don take their cut.

Them jor dey use Nigerians do yeye. Last last, we no go know wia the money enter. Like all the recovered loot.

I need to pay homage to the dibia wen do the charm wen APC use tk tidy 15 million Nigerians. That jazz strong no be lie!!!

-Lord

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by otitokoroleti: 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
why bubu? kai chanji!
Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by PeinDanzo(m): 8:50pm On Feb 26, 2016
divinehand2003:
Due process is not being followed here. It's shrouded in secrecy. Backyard settlement and a little scratch my back - I scratch yours in return has taken place. Pls FG, LET NCC BE THE ORGAN OF GOVERNMENT TO SEE TO THE END OF THE MTN SAGA. NCC STARTED IT, SO IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT THEY END IT TOO. Don't take us by surprise anymore plsssss.

Am sorry, but do u happen to be a 7 year old girl with mental issues? undecided

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by temitemi1(m): 8:50pm On Feb 26, 2016
SMH

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by theshaderoom: 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
Shuo! Can u imagine the greedy people... How can you collect fine that you did not impose. It's ncc that imposed the fine and any decision or payment should be made between ncc and mtn, then they report to the federal govt.... but those greedy people don double cross them go collect money for back...

Nah wah o!

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by jay2pee(m): 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
Who is fooling who in this country. Let me sip my origin and watch as the seasonal movie continues

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Rogersmith(m): 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
This is shameful.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by badonkadonk: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
A government of hypocrisy by hypocrites for... lipsrsealed

How I fit port this government abeg!?

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by abduldope(m): 8:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
hmmm i got an sms frm them this evning saying thus " Dear customer MTN Trutalk+ plan is no longer available. but u can gt more value on MTN trutalk with 100% on every N100 & above on every recharge thank you" i guess they are back to milk us bad bad again
Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by frankzone: 8:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
ds z worse dan kwarapshon trust me

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by rusher14: 8:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
Over 100 Million pound, it's a good start.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by defash8: 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
Our Senators should pounce on this, Presidency have started again.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by RedCapChief(m): 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
Yemi Osinbajo is an influential shareholder in MTN Nigera. There may be a conflict of interest.

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by UnknownT: 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
They will soon tell us that the people at NCC are corrupt and so couldn't be trusted with the deal lipsrsealed

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by samofson: 8:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
They want to scatter our heads, scatter scatter scatter our heads ooooo!!!!.

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing...recipe for disaster.

MTN is playing the game and the hungry government is falling for it. ( at all, at all na hin bad pass)

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by wristbangle: 8:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
MTN u better pay me my remaining N730 billion.

Else una mast go burn one by one.

FG sef no dey shame sad

Re: SHOCKING: Nigerian Govt Sidelines NCC, Strikes Secret Deal With MTN. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 26, 2016
tsephanyah:
corruption is Awesome
aahahahhaha

Infinix Smart X5010: Unboxing The Newly Launched Android Phone / Whatsapp Now Permanently Banning 3rd Party App Users. / Which Phone Can I Buy With 140k