Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion (9248 Views)

Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God / Things Humanity Could Do Better Without Religion / Can Morality Exist Without Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by cloudgoddess(f): 7:35pm On Feb 27, 2016
Beautiful, beautiful article and I can relate to every single point.

A few more:

- I no longer have to fear science, or run away when people discuss the Big Bang or Evolution. I can examine the evidence from an unbiased eye and experience all the awe and wonder that comes from understanding nature more. Also:
- I can experience true, deep gratitude for scientists, doctors, engineers, all of the incredible human minds of the past and present that have made brave and world-changing contributions to modern society. I no longer sweep their incredible works under the rug and instead relay my thanks to an imaginary being.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by malvisguy212: 7:36pm On Feb 27, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
Indeed he is.
The fact is that there are people who believe he isn't and that's okay.
it call choice.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:38pm On Feb 27, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
Indeed he is.

The fact is that there are people who believe he isn't and that's okay.

I have no probs if someone else is not a believer but dont mock my belief and brand yours as rational - if that's the case then we have a REAL problem smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:43pm On Feb 27, 2016
cloudgoddess:
Beautiful, beautiful article and I can relate to every single point.

A few more:

- I no longer have to fear science, or run away when people discuss the Big Bang or Evolution. I can examine the evidence from an unbiased eye and experience all the awe and wonder that comes from understanding nature more. Also:
- I can experience true, deep gratitude for scientists, doctors, engineers, all of the incredible human minds of the past and present that have made brave and world-changing contributions to modern society. I no longer sweep their incredible works under the rug and instead relay my thanks to an imaginary being.

No sweerie , you thank Void for its wonderful works in nature . So CLOUDgoddess , hows SKYdaddy doing ? Aww ... true love never dies smiley

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by JackBizzle: 7:48pm On Feb 27, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I have no probs if someone else is not a believer but dont mock my belief and brand yours as rational - if that's the case then we have a REAL problem smiley

Why are you here?

Also, your religion is irrational. Take it or leave it. wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by TheRealAdonye(m): 7:49pm On Feb 27, 2016
I have issues with any one's belief system being mocked.
However, I believe Atheism is rational.
To be honest, Christianity and indeed other religions are not rational.

ra·tion·al
ˈraSH(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective
based on or in accordance with reason or logic.

The majority of the Bible is not explained rationally. This where Faith comes in.
We are supposed to have faith. We are supposed to trust God and not lean on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).
The Bible tells us that the “just shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11). We therefore should trust God regardless of whether His words make sense to our understanding.

This is not rational. It was never intended to be.
Don't sweat it.

KingEbukasBlog:

5 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 27, 2016
Female virgins are celebrated in the Bible as though the state of one’s hymen is the measure of their worth as a human being.

Hmmmm. Powerful words.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:01pm On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

Why are you here?

Also, your religion is irrational. Take it or leave it. wink

Do you know that God designed man presciently , in terms of his dexterity etc . I thought about it this morning . Take a look how man made various things - innovations , inventions in areas of technology , arts & craft , sports etc - making a living outta it , recreation , its possible for him to be more creative in those areas etc .

God knew man would get to this level and beyond .

You believe man got his intelligence through luck , right ? So if elephants or goats were the lucky ones would they have achieved the same accomplishments ? What do you think?
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:10pm On Feb 27, 2016
adeaks:

Hmmmm. Powerful words.

They are not powerful words . That's someone trying to justify her acts or dispelling the guilt or regret . Like the way they do on NL's frontpage when the issue of virginity comes up

Romans 1 : 22

Professing to be wise, they became fools

Now look at the preceding verse of the above

Romans 1 : 21

For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:31pm On Feb 27, 2016
TheRealAdonye:

Are you ass-licking cos JackBizzle the above right there is ass-licking .

Which is rational ?

1 An eternal conscious intelligent powerful God - no beginning , no end - bringing forth the universe and is responsible for its COMPLEXITY and PURPOSE . The product of his thoughts are from which nature's constituents derived the propensity for their functionalities . What do I mean whatever is contained in Oxygen makes it possible to sustain/support life not Argon or Hydrogen , cells have the propensity to divide thus giving rise to reproduction , the moon and the sun all playing their roles accordingly , gravity has the ability to draw a body towards the center of the earth etc etc

2. All the above in one came by luck- no goal , no direction , no purpose . Everything we can view physically came by one mistake leading another . Have fun reading the 5 theories they feel caused the existence of the moon . "We are not sure how natural process derived the natural tendencies or inherent behaviour , but it led to everything "

The majority of the Bible is not explained rationally. This where Faith comes in.
We are supposed to have faith. We are supposed to trust God and not lean on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).
The Bible tells us that the “just shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11). We therefore should trust God regardless of whether His words make sense to our understanding.

If you dont lean on your own understanding but God's then its deemed to be rational right ? So if you as a christian still does not find it rational , then...

Don't sweat it.

Misconceptions are never rational

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by ElDeeVee(m): 8:37pm On Feb 27, 2016
Epic thread with some epic posts.

Favolly, what's your opinion on the topic
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Jamean(f): 9:19pm On Feb 27, 2016
tolutweety:

This topic had a magnetic effect on me,pulling me out... sad sad
But really,you sure know where to get me na,if you want to. undecided
grin grin
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by TheRealAdonye(m): 9:24pm On Feb 27, 2016
Being rational is being wise in the ways of the world.
We are enjoined in 1 Corinthians to love God instead of finding what is and what should be.

Also St. Paul tells us to be foolish in God instead of to become Wise in the ways of the world.

Some people have decided to question things as they see fit.
I had done that before but I couldn't bring myself to not accept that they wasn't a supreme being over us.
You should see the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism.

I believe that Jesus were to come today, he would chill with the so-called 'unbelievers.'
If Christ would do that, then why would I who is trying to be Christ-like not do the same?

I aim to understand everybody's standpoint and even if I agree or don't agree, No be fight.

We go dey alright las las..
KingEbukasBlog:

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by JackBizzle: 9:29pm On Feb 27, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Do you know that God designed man presciently , in terms of his dexterity etc . I thought about it this morning . Take a look how man made various things - innovations , inventions in areas of technology , arts & craft , sports etc - making a living outta it , recreation , its possible for him to be more creative in those areas etc .

God knew man would get to this level and beyond .

You believe man got his intelligence through luck , right ? So if elephants or goats were the lucky ones would they have achieved the same accomplishments ? What do you think?

grin

God of the gaps.

Evolution will soon explain the nature of the brain.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Favolly(f): 9:58pm On Feb 27, 2016
ElDeeVee:
Epic thread with some epic posts.

Favolly, what's your opinion on the topic
Christianity to me is a not a religion. It is a way of life, my way of life. It is a relationship, between me and my father. Prayer is me talking to him about everything… Now sometimes I’ll have to tell him that I need a new pair of shoes or clothes or that I'm frustrated but that's all in the conversation. Sometimes I get what I want, then other times it doesn’t work that way.

My christianity is based on trust and faith… Our society is bad, our government is corrupt and our systems don't work well. Only prayers won't solve all of those, getting our arse to work will. God answers prayers, and no matter how long we debate it some people will still not agree. And that's okay, really.

I hear people say that God does not exist and I respect their opinions. But nobody can come and deceive me that He doesnt, because I have felt his presence before and it feels like pure pure pure love. Words can never express what I experienced, but that experience was my evidence for a lifetime and for anybody that cares to listen that God really does exist and He is love. And knowing that He is real, the mere imagination of what He is capable of, just makes me worship Him.

Christianity started with followers of Christ who were completely convicted by His life, His death and His resurrection and their desire to continue discovering the new Hope that He brought into their own lives. They wanted more of that Truth that set them free (all the letters of the Apostles in the New Testament show this) and that was their sole focus. Unfortunately, that focus got lost along the way as people signed up to become part of it but not always running with the same memo and that's where the “herd mentality” which many people accuse church goers of, becomes a description with some truth in it.

Christianity isn't a type of religious social club, it's a way of life that’s not supposed to be smooth-sailing because it's primary motivation is Faith. Jesus repeatedly preached that message Himself. This path isn't defined at all by the routines and rites of religious practises. And once you understand what it takes to follow Christ (i.e when you’ve received your own personal conviction about why He came and died as He did), you realise you cant force Christ on anyone. Your beliefs are so secure in your heart that you aren’t obligated to respond to every provocative argument on the subject of why you believe that Heaven has been made available to you through The Cross. Only the Holy Spirit can bring that intimate conviction to anyone else and your own task is to keep being a witness for Jesus by showing the world how the ultimate Love of God has brought about your own change.

I'm really sorry for the treatise but I just always feel obliged to point out this key difference wherever I find Christianity being described as a religion.

So Eldeevee, I am a Christian and I don't practise religion and this is my opinion on the matter grin

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:34pm On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

grin

God of the gaps.

Evolution will soon explain the nature of the brain.

Mr. man answer my question . If elephants or goats , supposedly through luck as you believe , got intelligence as man would they have achieved man's accomplishments ?
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:38pm On Feb 27, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
Being rational is being wise in the ways of the world.
We are enjoined in 1 Corinthians to love God instead of finding what is and what should be.

Also St. Paul tells us to be foolish in God instead of to become Wise in the ways of the world.

Some people have decided to question things as they see fit.
I had done that before but I couldn't bring myself to not accept that they wasn't a supreme being over us.
You should see the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism.

I believe that Jesus were to come today, he would chill with the so-called 'unbelievers.'
If Christ would do that, then why would I who is trying to be Christ-like not do the same?

I aim to understand everybody's standpoint and even if I agree or don't agree, No be fight.

We go dey alright las las..

Bro , nice post by the way , but you didnt answer the question . Without circumlocution , which is rational no 1 or 2
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Gerrard59(m): 10:47pm On Feb 27, 2016
Favolly:

[/b]Christianity to me is a not a religion. It is a way of life, my way of life. [b]

So Eldeevee, I am a Christian and I don't practise religion and this is my opinion on the matter grin

Even moslems say the same thing(they actually invented the term "way of life"wink. Nothing new.
During demographic studies, you aren't asked, what's your way of life? You're asked, what's your religion? Types of religion include Christainity, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism, Buddhism etc. The pentecostal churches just coined a new term to further propagate their industry by saying Christainity is not a religion. If it's not a religion, what is it? Way of life?

Way of life ko, culture ni

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by TheRealAdonye(m): 11:22pm On Feb 27, 2016

Not in the way you said it though.
Because this is as a result of our understanding, it's logical and hence, it's Rational.

Belief in God, however, requires Faith in his ways.

KingEbukasBlog:

Bro , nice post by the way , but you didnt answer the question . Without circumlocution , which is rational no 1 or 2
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:26pm On Feb 27, 2016
TheRealAdonye:

Not in the way you said it though.
Because this is as a result of our understanding, it's logical and hence, it's Rational.

Belief in God, however, requires Faith in his ways.

No2 ? ... are you kidding me ? angry angry angry

But wait ...

what is faith ? you are always talking of faith , what does that even mean ?
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by TheRealAdonye(m): 11:46pm On Feb 27, 2016
Hebrews 11:1 puts it ever so succinctly.

Verse 3 relates to the creation. We believe it by faith.
It's can't be rationalized.

KingEbukasBlog:

No2 ? ... are you kidding me ? angry angry angry

But wait ...

what is faith ? you are always talking of faith , what does that even mean ?

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 28, 2016
If you position your mind like that, you will still live in fear,God is a merciful father,try your best to do what is good
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by cloudgoddess(f): 3:29am On Feb 28, 2016
TheRealAdonye:

Don't sweat it.

No disrespect but I'm genuinely curious. If faith is the only foundation by which you base your belief, then how would someone be able to objectively decide what religion is correct? What about Hindus who have faith? Or Jainist or Taoist faith? If you took three un-indoctrinated, unbiased adults and put these religions in front of them, with nothing but their respective holy books and an offer to employ faith, how would they know which to choose?

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by TheRealAdonye(m): 5:56am On Feb 28, 2016
I've never said one religion is greater than the other.
If I wasn't born Christian, would I have been one by now?
The answer for me is Yes. Not so for a lot of other people if I dare say.
The key here is Conviction.

No one is forcing the three adults to believe in anything. However, if they decide to believe in a Supreme being, they have to read the Holy books put before them and in the end follow the one they're most convicted about.

Little caveat here though: The bible looks like the best ever work of fiction if you set out to read it like that.
I haven't researched enough on the Taoist and Jainist faith to be able to say the same but it most likely would read like fiction too.

cloudgoddess:

No disrespect but I'm genuinely curious. If faith is the only foundation by which you base your belief, then how would someone be able to objectively decide what religion is correct? What about Hindus who have faith? Or Jainist or Taoist faith? If you took three un-indoctrinated, unbiased adults and put these religions in front of them, with nothing but their respective holy books and an offer to employ faith, how would they know which to choose?
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Pidggin(f): 6:30am On Feb 28, 2016
Most athiest are depressed. All those things the OP mentioned only gives temporal excitement.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Favolly(f): 6:55am On Feb 28, 2016
Gerrard59:

Even moslems say the same thing(they actually invented the term "way of life"wink. Nothing new.
During demographic studies, you aren't asked, what's your way of life? You're asked, what's your religion? Types of religion include Christainity, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism, Buddhism etc. The pentecostal churches just coined a new term to further propagate their industry by saying Christainity is not a religion. If it's not a religion, what is it? Way of life?

Way of life ko, culture ni
Not every time read to counter, Sometimes read to understand. Of course, you and every other person see Christianity as a religion. And for official purposes, I would even tick the Christianity box under religion when I'm filling a form. What I said up there is my own personal experience with Christianity and that I don't live it as a religion because that's not what it was intended to be in the beginning. I talked about how extremists have graduated to defining it by rites and routines of 'religious' practices amongst other things. Please read to comprehend next time, don't be a selective reader wink

So Mr Gerrard, if I say my own Christianity is not a religion, dont bother arguing with me, aye? cheesy

Afterall, it is my Christianity, not your christianity tongue

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by cloudgoddess(f): 7:40am On Feb 28, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
I've never said one religion is greater than the other.
If I wasn't born Christian, would I have been one by now?
The answer for me is Yes. Not so for a lot of other people if I dare say.
The key here is Conviction.

No one is forcing the three adults to believe in anything. However, if they decide to believe in a Supreme being, they have to read the Holy books put before them and in the end follow the one they're most convicted about.

Little caveat here though: The bible looks like the best ever work of fiction if you set out to read it like that.
I haven't researched enough on the Taoist and Jainist faith to be able to say the same but it most likely would read like fiction too.

Where would said conviction come from? With no prior knowledge of the religion at all?

It's easy to say that you personally would choose Christianity again - that's called the hindsight bias -- people tend to predict that if given the opportunity they'd make the same choices. But without the same cultural influences, societal/familial influences, or prior familiarity with the said religion, it becomes much less likely that a person would make the same choice.

All these forces I mention - culture, society, family, familiarity - are extremely strong environmental forces that act on our subconscious minds to produce the choices we make and the attitudes we hold. "Conviction" as you put it is just a strong belief that something is true. But that still doesn't say anything about its objective legitimacy. We humans can have all sorts of convictions that are wrong - most of which are a result of conditioning via those environmental forces. And whichever attitudes and convictions we adopted first tend to generate resistance in the face of newly introduced, competing attitudes, regardless of validity.

It's why a Buddhist raised in a culture that practices Buddhism will hold a much stronger conviction that Buddhism is true, than a Christian raised in a culture that practices Christianity, who picks up a Buddhist book after already having been familiar with Christianity first. In the latter case their prior experience with Christianity is biasing them strongly against competing religious ideas. This phenomena has been heavily confirmed in the field of psychology with all sorts of beliefs/convictions, both trivial and nontrivial.

Just something to think about.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by cloudgoddess(f): 7:44am On Feb 28, 2016
Pidggin:
Most athiest are depressed. All those things the OP mentioned only gives temporal excitement.
Where's the data to prove this? Sounds like you're just talking out of your ass.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Pidggin(f): 7:47am On Feb 28, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Where's the data to prove this? Sounds like you're just talking out of your ass.

You've just proven my point.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by joseph1832(m): 8:22am On Feb 28, 2016
"Religion (christianity and islam) is the opiate of the masses" -Karl Marx.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by CoolUsername: 8:30am On Feb 28, 2016
Pidggin:

sad
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by tangled: 8:36am On Feb 28, 2016
k

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help! This Church Near My House Wont Let Me Sleep. / Homosexuality Is The Most Disgusting Sin To God / The Solemnity Of Christ The King Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.