Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,125 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC (806 Views)

Lauretta Onochie Slams Patience Jonathan: "EFCC Only Attracted To Thieves" / Patience Jonathan & EFCC: Protest In Rivers Over Alleged Victimization - Pics / Arms Deal: Why We’ve Not Invited Jonathan – EFCC Boss (2) (3) (4)

Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by boman2014: 9:23am On Feb 27, 2016
[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt2f88sh37ffig.d60fec9d.jpg[/img]

Olisah metuh in handcuffs

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has
revealed what the spokesman of the Peoples Democratic Party
(PDP) Chief Olisa Metuh said in the statement he supposedly
tore.

Junaid Said, an operative of the anti-graft agency, told the
court that in the statement, PDP’s spokesman confirmed that
he got N400 million arms money, which was used for political
activities, his personal needs, and assignments delegated by
former president Goodluck Jonathan.

The EFCC counsel, Sylvanus Tahir, said that the investigation
into $2,1bn arms deal showed that the agency received a
petition in January 2016 from the office of the national security
Sambo Dasuki, which supposed that N400 million was given to
Destra Investment Limited, a company owned by Metuh.

The witness stated that investigations disclosed that the
transfer was done without any contract sanction. According to
him the team visited the residence of Metuh at Prince and
Princess Estate, Abuja, on January 5, and invited him to the
commission.

The politician honoured the summon and was quizzed by
Ibrahim Musa, Michael Wetkas, Bello Umar, David Nkpe, Bello
Adama and Eucharia Ibrahim.
The EFCC witness said the defendant offered a statement to the
agency.

He said: “My Lord, when he concluded writing his statement,
which was on four sheets of the EFCC statement form, I
collected the statement and read over it, I then handed the
statement over to my superiors Musa and Wetkas.

“When I was handing over the statement, the defendant said he
was surprised that he had written that much and that he felt he
had given too much information.

“Because of the comment, I was worried; I gave him the
statement sheets one after the other for endorsement. He
endorsed the first and second sheet, but he tore the third
sheet.

“The third sheet was where the defendant disclosed that he
received the money for PDP political activities, settle his
personal needs and made reference to former president
Goodluck Jonathan.

“My lord, he suddenly tore the statement sheet into pieces. In
great shock and surprise, I stood up [and] I asked him why he
did what he did. He said he did that because he was no longer
willing to give the information on that statement sheet.

“I then requested the pieces of the statement, he declined and
attempted to put them in his pocket, I then cautioned him and
told him to respect himself; he insisted that he was going to
dispose the torn sheet.

“I persuaded him to handover the tore sheet and brought one
plain paper before him; he poured the pieces on the plain
sheet. My other colleagues were there looking at us in surprise
as well.

“He furthered tore them into pieces, saying only in the movies
would this be recovered. I poured the pieces in the
commission’s transparent polythene bag for exhibit and made
entry of the incident into the EFCC’s incident duty station diary
as well as EFCC’s pocket notebook.

“Later, in the day he requested to make additional statement,
which he made, wrote his name and signed but declined to
make any other statement on the torn paper.”

The EFCC docked the controversial PDP’s spokesman before
an Abuja High Court sitting on a two-count charge bordering
on his alleged destruction of evidence against him.
Metuh pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The commission claimed that the said statement would have
been vital to its prosecution of the criminal case pending
against Metuh.

Later PDP’s politician received N300 million bail with two
sureties each, with like sum for “tearing own statement”.
The case is different from another seven-count charge of
alleged fraud against him.

https://www.naij.com/745651-metuh-destroyed-evidence-said-much-jonathan.html
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by udemzyudex(m): 9:34am On Feb 27, 2016
Unprofessional people, If they had use tape to record all what he said, would he be able to destroy it?

Gerrouthere menh...

Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by peacengine(m): 9:34am On Feb 27, 2016
Why didn't they make a copy of the statement? Are we this backward, what happened to oral statements?
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by youngaz(m): 9:38am On Feb 27, 2016
Chaiigrin oga jonah regime will neva seize 2 amaze sha.......imagine wat dat man did in hiz tenureshocked.....he almost milked us dry wit iz cohorts especially dasuki nd diz metuh brat......nw some stupid people will pop up on diz forum chanting...."jonathan d great man,man of legacy,ourdemocracy hero" nd some shit lyk dat....anyway letz just b happy he iz gone 4 gudgrin

FTC!! Hurray!!!gringrin
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by orobs93(m): 9:49am On Feb 27, 2016
Tah
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by akin7686(m): 9:56am On Feb 27, 2016
Metuh is a professional crook. He knew d implications of the statement that's why he tore it. Why tearing the paper? Instead I'd rather not endorse it.
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by lekkie073(m): 10:00am On Feb 27, 2016
even at that he can still claim to have written it under duress.....law is one bleeping crazy issue
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by janeso(f): 10:05am On Feb 27, 2016
I did not see much he said about Jonathan
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by dgr8truth(m): 10:08am On Feb 27, 2016
This EFCC of late seems to be winning the fight against corruption on the pages of newspapers and nairaland only. If this is how they will fight and prosecute corruption and corrupt officials then i fear for my dear country.

The reason Metuh tore the statement may as well be that the EFCC officials may have succeeded in doctoring the statement of Metuh. From Junaid account I can infer so many things

1) Did metuh gave the statement to him willingly or he collected it by force, I believe the latter.
2) Let for the sake of fairness agreed that metuh gave him the state, why must he collect the statement when he knows metuh has not endorsed it.
3) EFCC saying that Metuh's statement was only captured on 4 sheets of paper on a matter that borders on financial misappropriation leaves much to be desired if Junaid's account was anything to go by.
4) At first we were told he ate the torn statement, now Junaid is saying he wanted to pocket the torn statement. which will the court, nairalanders, bubu's zombies believe since both statements cannot be said to be true?

I can go on and on poking holes at Junaid account of what happen but let me leave it here for more nairalanders intelligent ones and metuh defence councils to poke more holes at Junaid testimony.

If EFCC continue this way they will not be able to gain conviction against accused corrupt officials.
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by MrKong: 10:08am On Feb 27, 2016
Why do you have to tear your own statement when you have nothing to hide?...God punish any vagabonds trying to defend or defending this narcissistic waste bag
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by hurricaneChris: 10:19am On Feb 27, 2016
Jokers!!!

The moment he hands over the the statement to you, it ceases to be his (Metuh's) property, and becomes the commission's property.

It's either someone hasnt done his work well or someone is lying.

In each case, I demand someone loses his job. grin grin
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by Justiyke4u: 10:21am On Feb 27, 2016
Just imagine. You are interrogating a suspect on paper? What happens to recording during the interrogation at least it will capture the moment of tearing of the statement. What happens to CCTV cameras? I have noticed that the strength of most of the prosecution's cases lie in the confessional statement of the accused person without which the prosecution finds it real hard to secure conviction. Even the testimony of the witness looks like an extract from the nollywood movies. Okay he made a written statement on four pages of your statement form and tore the third page which means you still have pages 1,2 and 4 and I want to believe that page 3 is a continuation of page 2 and page 4 is a continuation of page 3 and then with page 2 and 4 you cannot show that page 3 is missing I think there is a disconnect somewhere.

From what am seeing here there is not enough evidence to secure conviction on the corruption charges and by securing conviction on the charge of destruction of evidence, the conviction will now serve as the missing evidence to sustain the charge on corruption.

I think what makes the case of prosecution is the investigation stage when according to the witness
( “When I was handing over the statement, the defendant said he
was surprised that he had written that much and that he felt he
had given too much information.
“Because of the comment, I was worried; I gave him the
statement sheets one after the other for endorsement. He
endorsed the first and second sheet, but he tore the third
sheet.) that should have kept your instinct alive and alert. I think there is a gap somewhere
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by BeClever: 10:28am On Feb 27, 2016
That he tore paper is not the crime he was initially accused of.. EFCC should shut up and prove he stole N400m or stop the vindictiveness.

I refused to be confused by this Criminal Govt lead by Buhari.

Common Budget they can't produced without criminality.
Re: Metuh Destroyed Evidence Because He Said Too Much About Jonathan -EFCC by allycat: 10:50am On Feb 27, 2016
Does EFCC have trained lawyers? If they did they would know any statement not signed by the accused is inadmissible in court and the contents cannot be used in a trial. We were initially told he ate the papers then when they wanted to change their mouth they said he put it in his pocket. Even if he never tore it the fact that he didn't sign it makes it null and void. They are making a mockery of the whole process and making themselves look incompetent. They forget this whole tomfoolery is in the public domain and the whole world which includes intelligent humans are keeping tags.

Jonathan Beats Tinubu, Koffi Anan, 3 Others To Clinch African Leadership Award / PHOTO: Boy Found Wandering At Ikorodu Road,lagos / APC Never Promised Nigerians Miracles - Rotimi Amaechi Reply Critics