Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. (18709 Views)

Google Rewards Teenager $36,000 For Finding Security Loop In Their System / 20k For Grabs / A New Search Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
Prizes to be won for coders:

First: #6,000
Second: #4,000

signed: dhtml18

Don't derail this thread, only serious programmers allowed in here.
No criticisms except from Judges.
Forking code from github is allowed, but forked project must not add more than 10-15 lines of code to yours.

Bonus:
Top four winners will be joined together as a team to work on a bigger open source project. (If they want)
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 27, 2016
Program a working search engine with a web crawler that crawls the Naira land programming section and Stackoverflow for topics that match search criteria.

The interface should be simple and basic, but no ugly output tho.
Search results should show up in real time as user's type narrowing the results. Or you can make it redirect to a search page containing results.

The result page should contain:
[size=26pt]1. The title of the topic
2. The author of the topic
3. The posted date of the topic.[/size]

[size=26pt]Bonus: views should be displayed for Naira land results while up votes should be displayed for results from StackOverflow. (Not necessary, but a mark of programming prodigy)
[/size]
Use any language you want.

Points will be allocated as follows:
[size=26pt]For participating - 5pts
Interface (GUI) - 15pts
Live Search functionality- 20pts
Search Engine Speed - 30pts
GitHub/Patebin/codepaste.net e,t,c availability - 15pts
Creativity /Jara - 15pts[/size]

Negative points:
[size=26pt]Code redundancy - minus 20pts.[/size]

[size=30pt]Finished program should be hosted anywhere, you may use a free hosting services or post the sub domain name you want and I shall make it available on my hosting space.[/size]

Time frame is going to be posted soon. Real codecathlon for real programmers.

I shall provide hints on request, and Programmers taking up the challenge can't vote or allocate points.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2016
I think I'll give this a try. I've never done this before. It would be a good exercise.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
ChinenyeN:
I think I'll give this a try. I've never done this before. It would be a good exercise.

Go ahead.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Djade007: 11:36pm On Feb 27, 2016
Make guys like dhtml18 come sponsor this challenge like https://www.nairaland.com/1816227/programming-challenge-beginners-competition-two

I think my banned account jidez007 won that one
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 28, 2016
Prizes to be won for coders:

First: #6,000
Second: #4,000

signed: dhtml18

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 3:40pm On Feb 28, 2016
First application

Name: Olajide Afeez

Frameworks: Laravel and Angularjs Material

But I will start on Tuesday and submit latest on Wednesday

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 3:43pm On Feb 28, 2016
We need more sponsors to entice more coders
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 7:16pm On Feb 28, 2016
jidez007:
We need more sponsors to entice more coders

I would add 1000 Naira to the contest. If people could contribute, little by little, then we would have enough on board to put as a stake. We don't have the face that does beauty things, let's use our brains.

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2016
.net guy here ooo
hope i can also enter
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2016
Depending on the seriousness of the competitors, I might still increase my contribution. . .
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 8:39pm On Feb 28, 2016
dhtml18:
Depending on the seriousness of the competitors, I might still increase my contribution. . .

Please hold on a while, let's see what others might have to contribute too. Coding is serious work, there is no small coding at all. The money should be bigger than what's on the ground but let's see how the community would respond to it.

Keep up the good work.

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 28, 2016
Ideally, more than one persons should contribute to the competition, I cannot be the only sponsor.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 29, 2016
blenyo11:
.net guy here ooo
hope i can also enter

All languages are welcome. If you're a magician and can solve the task with HTML/CSS, go ahead.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 8:49am On Feb 29, 2016
blenyo11:
.net guy here ooo
hope i can also enter

I believe you should be able to compete, this should be a polyglot competition. Feel comfortable with Erlang? Then use it.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:54am On Feb 29, 2016
dhtml18:
Ideally, more than one persons should contribute to the competition, I cannot be the only sponsor.

Very correct, on my part, I take this more like a test..

I am organizing a Hackathon at Chams, Isaac John Street, Ikeja around April-May.

The top four guys that win this competition will get a free entrance pass, no gate fee. (Gate fee is #1000), plus they get to showcase the outcome of this competition to a broader audience and give short speeches of their programming experience.

Bonus:
You get to discuss with DanielTheGeek himself grin

I hope this is fair enough.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 29, 2016
^^^Very good, I stay close to Ikeja. I might even land the winners some more rewarding job connections self.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 9:14am On Feb 29, 2016
Now the whole thing is getting interesting. So, guys, get in here. Hackathon promise, job contract, some money to help out. Please guys, keep it coming o.

Abeg, what's the duration of this competion sef?

And for those that would be using Python, you might also post to this link http://pycoders.com/submissions/
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 29, 2016
One of the demands I get frequently is to recommend 'young', talented developers for jobs. There are firms that rely on my decision to recommend young developers for them from time to time.
But I can only recommend those that I know are capable, so that i wont stain my name. But how do I know those that are capable without seeing their work or performance? That is why I am interesting in this thread.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 9:24am On Feb 29, 2016
dhtml18:
One of the demands I get frequently is to recommend 'young', talented developers for jobs. There are firms that rely on my decision to recommend young developers for them from time to time.
But I can only recommend those that I know are capable, so that i wont stain my name. But how do I know those that are capable without seeing their work or performance? That is why I am interesting in this thread.

What is the age range that you are looking at, and would they pay them goo monies with perks or are they they type that pays someone with 3 years experience 80K like some people do?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 29, 2016
^^^that one depends on a lot of factors. But all the offers I have had to recommend people for so far have been over 100k, usually range of 100 - 150.
Most senior developers like myself will refuse outright employment leaving the space for other interested developers. I will only 'consider' employment if the pay 500k and above otherwise, I shall just remain on the 'streets' doing agbero/owoda.

And as for experience, when a company wants me to recommend someone to them, they will expect me to recommend someone with experience that I believe is adequate for the task they are giving the person, so my information should be accurate.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 9:31am On Feb 29, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^that one depends on a lot of factors. But all the offers I have had to recommend people for so far have been over 100k, usually range of 100 - 150.
Most senior developers like myself will refuse outright employment leaving the space for other interested developers. I will only 'consider' employment if the pay 500k and above otherwise, I shall just remain on the 'streets' doing agbero/owoda.

And as for experience, when a company wants me to recommend someone to them, they will expect me to recommend someone with experience that I believe is adequate for the task they are giving the person, so my information should be accurate.

Same here o. Some people are on my neck to come over and I say 500K or no more. 12 years coding isn't moi moi. I need to earn more if I should need to move. And the 500K should even come with extra perks.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 29, 2016
bubbleforth:
Now the whole thing is getting interesting. So, guys, get in here. Hackathon promise, job contract, some money to help out. Please guys, keep it coming o.

Abeg, what's the duration of this competion sef?

And for those that would be using Python, you might also post to this link http://pycoders.com/submissions/

Let's fix a date and if no one meets up with it, then that's all, I'm out. I'm tired of updating the time frame in the OP.

I don't want a long time frame because everybody will solve the problem, we need only those that can think fast.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 10:35am On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Let's fix a date and if no one meets up with it, then that's all, I'm out. I'm tired of updating the time frame in the OP.

I don't want a long time frame because everybody will solve the problem, we need only those that can think fast.

OK, how do we go about it? @dhtml18, you're needed here abeg.

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 29, 2016
I am here now, let us know the contestants first, then we take it from there.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:46am On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Not everyone is a guru, and maybe not everyone has the type of schedule that will let them sit to work on this challenge uninterrupted. I've had to stop several times for hours on end to attend to certain responsibilities. I'm only posting here now, because I was checking to see if anyone had posted their solution yet, before I try to finish up my own. I'm really only doing this for fun, because this will be my first time ever implementing something like this, and I figured I might like to try my hands at it.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 29, 2016
diaris always a first-time!
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 29, 2016
Anybody competiting should post with this format:

Name: John Doe
Profession: Freelancer

Note: Your language or age shouldn't be added. We don't care which language you use or how old you are.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 29, 2016
ChinenyeN:

Not everyone is a guru, and maybe not everyone has the type of schedule that will let them sit to work on this challenge uninterrupted. I've had to stop several times for hours on end to attend to certain responsibilities. I'm only posting here now, because I was checking to see if anyone had posted their solution yet, before I try to finish up my own. I'm really only doing this for fun, because this will be my first time ever implementing something like this, and I figured I might like to try my hands at it.

Are you trying to say you aren't competing but rather taking this as an exercise?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by maekhel(m): 12:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
What are the rules/conditions for this contest.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 29, 2016
maekhel:
What are the rules/conditions for this contest.

Read the first and second posts.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 2:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

All languages are welcome. If you're a magician and can solve the task with HTML/CSS, go ahead.

Hmmm you can do it with HTML without magic http://service.fincoapps.com/crawler/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills / How Much Do Web Developers Earn In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.