Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. (18760 Views)

Google Rewards Teenager $36,000 For Finding Security Loop In Their System / 20k For Grabs / A New Search Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 10:50am On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

I'm not.
this is on page 170 - none of the the bots could find it.
https://www.nairaland.com/18002/visual-fortran

this crawler does however:
http://crawler.ademuanthony.com/

fincoApps doesnt. It's results are not even filtered (lots of irrelevant results)
try "programming competition" and you see a page full of results without "programming" or "competition"
in them!

My Crawler searches just like NL. So when you search for something on NL, the exact result on the first page is what you get with my Crawler. You can try it
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 12:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Please throw some points to Blenyo, if you think his crawler is better. If you can't allocate separate points the way i did, just post a score over 100 and when it's 10:30pm i'd count everything and pick the winner.

[size=22pt]What i've got to say[/size]

Currently Jidez is on top and Blenyo is in second place, I must commend Blenyo because i didn't know he'd be a major contender (I was expecting FincoApps to be the second) it was after i calculated the scores i saw Blenyo in second place, was surprised myself. Blenyo was sitting at third place till he got the 26pts for speed, he attracted the lowest negative points for code redundancy, I must say, you really did well with the coding..all variables were defined, no unnecessary functions or repetitions, but Jidez is too good to ignore, he came fully prepared and i appreciate that effort. A lesson Jidez can learn from this competition is that, apart from User Interface and material design, performance and speed should also be key. I think you and Blenyo can share some tips and tricks as you both will make a super team.

Sleeping Demon, oh my God, the Demon was not asleep at all..your crawler's speed can literally be compared to google's as i tested it from various countries (I even tested it more from a distant country's server and got a very fast ping back), but do not be carried away you could have had a spot at the top three if the crawler was really functional, it is that fast because it isn't doing much work or crawling properly, this crawler is what Asalimpo should constructively criticize. I believe you can do better.

As for ChinenYen, I think if he posts a link with the finished program, he has a chance to squeeze in between Jidez and Blenyo and take over the second spot because his code is just natural, not depending much on frameworks or external libraries. ChinenYen deserves much more credit i think, but let's wait and see if his link will come up before 10:30pm.

FincoApps, I expected you to either come up on top or be a serious head ache to other competitors, but your crawler not being functional enough and absence of some button functionality gave your seat out to Blenyo. For instance: if i search a term first, using the Nairaland option..everything works well but if i decide to swith to Stack Overflow by clicking the radio button, the preloader comes up but does not fetch data till i push the enter key. Improvements could be made on the results accuracy too, and this goes to every other competitor too..even Jidez, It can always be improved.

To those that used pre-loaders, please know that they can reduce the speed of the site and even make it very slow if it has been set to delay for some seconds. Blenyo's program did well in this aspect.

Overall i think Jidez's GUI and all round balance gave him an edge over every other program.

Thanks for the detailed review and not being biased. However, your point about my checkbox functionality is a little.... confusing. Clicking the checkbox is not supposed to execute the search. For example, when you search for something on Nairaland, on the search result page you see Topics and Images checkbox. When you click on either of them, the search does not auto start again.... you still need to type what you wanna search and click on the search Button. They are just options
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 12:33pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:
@Danielthegeek
This challenge could have been solved with a desktop program that polls NL, parses the html and presents the data. Search wise it would probably be slower but it would probably be the most original and hardest
to write: html parser, indexer, network interface, gui etc.
What if a competitor took this approach-he'd lose out. Besides such code wouldnt need a server to run!!
just download and run from a desktop with internet access.

No to me, using something like Visual Studio would be far easier. How I would have done it:
Open the page in an hidden Web browser control.
Get the Dom from the control and parse it using normal JS methods.

I used HTML because someone said it can be dont by only Magic... I've forgotten
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:
@Danielthegeek
This challenge could have been solved with a desktop program that polls NL, parses the html and presents the data. Search wise it would probably be slower but it would probably be the most original and hardest
to write: html parser, indexer, network interface, gui etc.
What if a competitor took this approach-he'd lose out. Besides such code wouldnt need a server to run!!
just download and run from a desktop with internet access.
in this era when nw.js can be used to build desktop app?...think again bro
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2016
FincoApps:

Thanks for the detailed review and not being biased. However, your point about my checkbox functionality is a little.... confusing. Clicking the checkbox is not supposed to execute the search. For example, when you search for something on Nairaland, on the search result page you see Topics and Images checkbox. When you click on either of them, the search does not auto start again.... you still need to type what you wanna search and click on the search Button. They are just options

No, it shouldn't be like that, remember that Nairaland's search system is not a good example of how "A" level search engines should work. Searching and switching should be instant and produce instant results, people love Google for this..when the Stack overflow radio button is clicked, results should start pouring in...what's the use of ajax call (I'm not sure what you used tho) when you still have to wait and push enter key before searching, it has to be instant even as the user switches to a different source.

This is all about user-experience and does not really affect functionality in any way, I hope you learnt something tho.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
[size=19pt]TIME FOR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS[/size]
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by asalimpo(m): 3:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
sleepingdemon:
in this era when nw.js can be used to build desktop app?...think again bro
You think everybody uses javascript?
js this js that.
think again.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

js this js that.
think again.

He's just letting you know that an easy-to-learn language like JavaScript is very powerful.

JavaScript is actually going to lead us to the future, thumbs up to the guys at Mozilla.org
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
Interesting, but why is it that only one person is contacting me? am i meant to award only one person?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 7:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

He's just letting you know that an easy-to-learn language like JavaScript is very powerful.

JavaScript is actually going to lead us to the future, thumbs up to the guys at Mozilla.org
finally someone that understands my point of view

2 Likes

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 7:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

js this js that.
think again.
i was just saying
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 7:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
dhtml18:
Interesting, but why is it that only one person is contacting me? am i meant to award only one person?
i was going through the phpfoxbrowser on github and i saw we have the same surname, mind to mail me ur whatsapp contact?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
sleepingdemon:
i was going through the phpfoxbrowser on github and i saw we have the same surname, mind to mail me ur whatsapp contact?

grin grin

Looks like someone just found his brother oo.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
dhtml18:

Bros Dhtml18, just award the one that contacted you for now, maybe Blenyo11 is not around or something...when he comes, he'll contact you.

If not it's up to you to pocket the money, give it to FincoApps or add it to Jidez's own.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 13, 2016
I shall award as soon as I get my ATM card later on this week (hopefully). I apologize for the delay.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 8:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
dhtml18:

Sunday things
Just came online
Have sent a mail

Many thanks to the judges

We are all learning and I hope we will all get better

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by asalimpo(m): 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

It's never going to happen. It's just going to stay in its ow niche and thrive there.
Not every app will be browser based. Not anytime soon. Besides,if it is going to take over the desktop,
it will have to supplant compilers/vms with something better, which isnt happening anytime soon.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sisqology(m): 9:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
blenyo11:

Sunday things
Just came online
Have sent a mail

Many thanks to the judges

We are all learning and I hope we will all get better

Wet my sharewink
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 10:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

It's never going to happen. It's just going to stay in its ow niche and thrive there.
Not every app will be browser based. Not anytime soon. Besides,if it is going to take over the desktop,
it will have to supplant compilers/vms with something better, which happening anytime soon.

I actually agree with you. Javascript would definitely grow... But it's still going to remain in it's category
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 5:57am On Mar 14, 2016
asalimpo:

it will have to supplant compilers/vms with something better, which isnt happening anytime soon.

Bro, JavaScript can be used to program a standalone desktop app now for almost any platform, mobile, pc, linux, mac, just that there are still improvements to be made.
I didn't mean JavaScript will execute the app all in the browser, or depend on the browser.
In fact JavaScript will take over soon because people can now make standalone desktop apps with HTML, CSS, JavaScript with chromium and node.js there are even many more tools, I guess you've not heard of Electron or App.js..infact i have noticed some big guys in the industry moving to JavaScript native desktop apps as it helps in improving GUI without wasting time on external libraries or frameworks, besides i have used JavaScript for a game i made before and i got amazing results..instead of using C# or c++.

Asalimpo, i guess you aren't familiar with JavaScript.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Olumyco(m): 3:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Bro, JavaScript can be used to program a standalone desktop app now for almost any platform, mobile, pc, linux, mac, just that there are still improvements to be made.
I didn't mean JavaScript will execute the app all in the browser, or depend on the browser.
In fact JavaScript will take over soon because people can now make standalone desktop apps with HTML, CSS, JavaScript with chromium and node.js there are even many more tools, I guess you've not heard of Electron or App.js..infact i have noticed some big guys in the industry moving to JavaScript native desktop apps as it helps in improving GUI without wasting time on external libraries or frameworks, besides i have used JavaScript for a game i made before and i got amazing results..instead of using C# or c++.

Thumbs up

Even aside the desktop app movement. The birth of React Native and nativescript has further increased the power and stability of JavaScript as it can now b used to develop native mobile apps like Java.
So anytime from now JavaScript might have equal or more mobile apps dan Java.

Also JavaScript has spill over to embedded system (Microcontroller Applications). Using Espruino, Tessel etc one can develop apps to power robots, different electronics etc.

The new niche/brand of JavaScript now is Isomorphic/Universal JavaScript
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 5:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
dhtml18:

I was not able to send a mail directly because NL restriction.
I have started following you. you may have to follow back so I can send the message.

Thanks Sir
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sonofjos(m): 7:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 14, 2016
blenyo11:

I was not able to send a mail directly because NL restriction.
I have started following you. you may have to follow back so I can send the message.

Thanks Sir

We are already connected, so just send your account number via the pm directly or reply my email

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by asalimpo(m): 11:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

I have a little familiarity, but i'm not up to date.
Javascript also has competition from Dart, coffeescript, etc.
No, I can bet on this, javascript cannot cross over all niches. It is being too ambitious for that.
If it tries to replace some niches, it will burn out - because it will simply be reinventing the wheel.
On the web,it is a strong forte and growing. Many frameworks , but is oracle, and almost 25 years of work
on virtual machines going to go to blazes because of js? No.
Also, on the left side, is the rise of functional programming - Y is this a field to watch? fp is more mathematically pure - so it is going to lead to strong resurgence for creating bullet proof software.
Javascript has some fp but already they're pure fp contenders in that arena.

Anyway, let's see where the hype goes.
One thing i've seen in the programming world is that, any attempt to create a standard not based on technological merit alone will always fail.
So a universal language? not yet.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 15, 2016
asalimpo:

I have a little familiarity, but i'm not up to date.
Javascript also has competition from Dart, coffeescript, etc.
No, I can bet on this, javascript cannot cross over all niches. It is being too ambitious for that.
If it tries to replace some niches, it will burn out - because it will simply be reinventing the wheel.
On the web,it is a strong forte and growing. Many frameworks , but is oracle, and almost 25 years of work
on virtual machines going to go to blazes because of js? No.
Also, on the left side, is the rise of functional programming - Y is this a field to watch? fp is more mathematically pure - so it is going to lead to strong resurgence for creating bullet proof software.
Javascript has some fp but already they're pure fp contenders in that arena.

Anyway, let's see where the hype goes.
One thing i've seen in the programming world is that, any attempt to create a standard not based on technological merit alone will always fail.
So a universal language? not yet.

https://www.codementor.io/learn-programming/beginner-programming-language-job-salary-community

I rest my case, forget the title of the topic of the link I provided, check the stats and think again, what language will rule the future?

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by asalimpo(m): 11:28pm On Mar 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

https://www.codementor.io/learn-programming/beginner-programming-language-job-salary-community

I rest my case, forget the title of the topic of the link I provided, check the stats and think again, what language will rule the future?
No language will rule the future . No language to date has thrived (talkless of conquering) in all niches (desktop,web-front end, web-backend, mobile) etc.
Javascript may rule the web, take over the backend-thru node.js, but taking over the enterprise,
the desktop, and mobile is a long shot. Not going to happen.
It will shine and shine and grow in popularity, like java did in the 90s and 200s, then anoda replacement will come knock it out from all its niches. Most likely a functional replacement.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 16, 2016
^^Best not to underestimate javaScript. It is ubiquitous and is still one of the best programming languages to learn (along with JAVA).

Meanwhile, will still get back to the winners very shortly.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 6:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
@DanielTheGeek @dhtml18
? ? ?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 21, 2016
I am sorry for the break in transmission.

I am here jare, sorry dudes, been on the street hustling. The winners shall be awarded by wednesday evening (2 nights from now).

Meanwhile, for all those that competed in this tournament, I am interested in having your profiles e.g.

Name - Anthony (dhtml18):
Location - Lagos
Platforms - websites, mobile apps, desktop apps
Languages - html (novice), javascript (intermediate), php (great), python (expert)
Frameworks - codigniter, cakephp
IDEs - Visual studio, Android Studio, Eclipse
Phone - 03442344 (whatsapp)
Email - support (at) Nairaland (dot) com

Send it to me by email to support (at) Nairaland (dot) com
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 11:36am On Mar 22, 2016
Okay
dhtml18:
I am sorry for the break in transmission.

I am here jare, sorry dudes, been on the street hustling. The winners shall be awarded by wednesday evening (2 nights from now).

Meanwhile, for all those that competed in this tournament, I am interested in having your profiles e.g.

Name - Anthony (dhtml18):
Location - Lagos
Platforms - websites, mobile apps, desktop apps
Languages - html (novice), javascript (intermediate), php (great), python (expert)
Frameworks - codigniter, cakephp
IDEs - Visual studio, Android Studio, Eclipse
Phone - 03442344 (whatsapp)
Email - support (at) Nairaland (dot) com

Send it to me by email to support (at) Nairaland (dot) com
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 22, 2016
@winners, please send me a pm once again with your account details, i seem to have mixed up details at my end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills / How Much Do Web Developers Earn In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.