Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail (1067 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Former Benue Governor, Suswam, In London Jail For Beating Wife Over Mistress / FG Urged To Facilitate Ibori’s Release From London Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by AloyEmeka9: 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Alamieyeseigha: My experience in London jail
By Okechukwu Uwaezuroke, Festus Akanbi and Ndubuisi Ugah, 07.12.2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha has described the inhuman condition of the London Cell where he was detained following his arrest on charges of money laundering after his removal from power in December 2005 as the most traumatic experience in his life.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jul/12/202.html

Alamieyeseigha told THISDAY in Lagos yesterday that his major wish while languishing in his cell room in London which he shared with some “mad people”, was to come out alive.

The former governor, who was slammed into the prison shortly after he underwent a surgical operation in Germany in 2005, said he was made to sleep naked on a bare floor.

He said he was afraid for his life because he was thrown into prison with blood still dripping from his tummy after the operation.

The experience, according to him, humbled him, saying he was able to draw a line between his former exalted position as a governor and his prison experience where he had to share a room with criminals and lunatics.

“I got to realise the difference between the position of power and that of a prisoner when I was in detention in the United Kingdom.

“I was just coming out of operation theatre. The wound was fresh. That was the day the stitches were removed; I was still bleeding when I was kept in that condition. I was in the theatre for eight hours and that was the day I was subjected to that kind of treatment.

“We were shut in a small room and we were surrounded with mad people. At daytime, it was usually a bit quieter but in the night, that was their day. Nobody could sleep. They would be hitting their doors, scratching and shouting. When I saw this, I sat back to say ‘so, this is life.’ I was naked. This was an executive governor that was so respected with the paraphernalia of office. Anything you wanted, you got it done. You had the power of life and death. But within a twinkle of an eye, you were in that position sleeping on the bare floor. Any reasonable person would sit down and reflect,” he said.

He described the proposed amnesty being offered the Niger Delta militants as laudable. He said everybody is tired of violence in the Niger Delta region.

The former governor, however, warned that the on-going efforts of the Federal Government to stamp out militancy from the region may not achieve the desired results unless oil bunkering could be effectively tackled.

According to him, the problem of bunkering is beyond the militants. He alleged that certain powerful individuals who have been benefiting from the illegal business might not allow peace to return to the area in order to sustain their illegal trade.

“Until bunkering is stopped in the Niger Delta, militancy in the area will not stop. And bunkering is not done by the militants or freedom fighters, but they are only used as tools, as vehicles by very important persons in society. It is not Bayelsans, and not even people from the ‘Niger Delta’. These ocean liners vessels and fuel tankers are always being loaded by oil bunkerers that come from Europe, America and Asia. Is it those militants you see in the Creeks that have the connections to bring those ships to the Niger Delta? It is ridiculous! So, who is bringing them? If there is no buyer, there is no supplier.”

Dismissing the claims by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on the properties handed over to the Bayelsa State Government last week, Alamieyeseigha said he did not operate any domiciliary account in Nigeria, wondering where the foreign component of the funds said to have been seized from him came from.

The EFCC had declared that $441,000, 7,000 Euros and two thousand pounds were part of the fund recovered from the former governor. He challenged the EFCC to explain where it got the foreign currency from.

On the Chelsea Hotel said to have been recovered from him, Alamieyeseigha said the property never belonged to him. He explained that the hotel was purchased on behalf of the Bayelsa State government during his tenure.

The former governor said the total cost of the hotel was N2billion and that N1.5billion was paid as initial deposit by his administration while his successor, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan paid the balance of N500million.

“I want to correct one impression and that is my object. From the beginning, Chelsea Hotel, Abuja as was reported was never Alamieyesiegha’s property. In 2005, we had a policy of generating internal revenue but it was so low.

“So, we had this problem of Bayelsans in Abuja, who had no job, just loitering around. At the Federal Civil Service, we didn’t have people and when you want to send them, they refused to stay in Abuja; they felt that the home conditions are better and we needed to make them fill our quota in the Federal Civil Service. So, what I did was to acquire a mighty place, an 18-flat with three-bedroom each and we started moving people to Abuja. Get employment and stay there free. This was to enable us have people in the Federal Service. And this proposal came from Chelsea Hotel. It was to cost us N2 billion. Our monthly allocation was about N35 million. The hotel was to employ our people and we felt it was a good investment. Then we had only N1.5 billion in our budget in 2005. So, we took a decision in Exco that let us pay the N1.5 billion as down payment so that in 2006 budget.

“This thing happened before my removal from office. I was in EFCC detention when the government of Goodluck Jonathan paid the N500 million to the owners of Chelsea Hotel. It was not me that paid the N500 million. It was all documented.”
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by RICHIEBOI1(m): 7:39pm On Jul 13, 2009
medecine after death! grin
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by AloyEmeka9: 7:54pm On Jul 13, 2009
Nnaa, why you dey laugh?. The guy no stay long to hear nwii yet im dey complain. grin grin
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by back2back(f): 8:50pm On Jul 13, 2009
Alam should write a book. It would be a best-seller.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Depilot(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2009
“I was just coming out of operation theatre. The wound was fresh. That was the day the stitches were removed; I was still bleeding when I was kept in that condition
This man is a lucky man, he should be thankful that they did not make the other side of his body to bleed while he was in jail.
He needs to keep quiet and enjoy the rest of his looted money.

Noone should feel bad for any leader that comes out of Nigeria.

With all our oil money and the status of the BIMBO of Africa, Nigeria as a country still struggles to provide electric power supply for her citizens. Just 2 months ago, record shows that 80 Percent Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line.
Did any of you see how Lagos state was flooded with rain water over the weekend? (http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.tribune.com.ng")
No drainage system, no power supply system, no water supply system; but people seem to be very happy driving around in their luxury cars. Aint that something?

It is a total mess and nothing to write home about.

2011 is around the corner, the thieves are starting to emerge one by one with their sad stories. A common strategy to get back on track and on the side of the public. All for another political position; h ell NO!.
Alams can go straight to h ell, nobody gives a damn about his experience in London jail.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by ifyalways(f): 9:52pm On Jul 13, 2009
Na wao for 9ja Politics,the more u look,the less u see.
So from whose acct did the recovered Millions that Effc announced come from?
If they cant account where the so called-ghost recovered money came from,i wonder if they wud be able to say where or which pocket the "funds" wud finally get to undecided
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by MrCrackles(m): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2009
No be Alams run comot from UK wearing buba and iro? shocked grin
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by blacksta(m): 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2009
Depilot:

This man is a lucky man, he should be thankful that they did not make the other side of his body to bleed while he was in jail.
He needs to keep quiet and enjoy the rest of his looted money.

Noone should feel bad for any leader that comes out of Nigeria.

With all our oil money and the status of the BIMBO of Africa, Nigeria as a country still struggles to provide electric power supply for her citizens. Just 2 months ago, record shows that 80 Percent Nigerians Live Below Poverty Line.
Did any of you see how Lagos state was flooded with rain water over the weekend? (http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.tribune.com.ng")
No drainage system, no power supply system, no water supply system; but people seem to be very happy driving around in their luxury cars. Aint that something?

It is a total mess and nothing to write home about.

2011 is around the corner, the thieves are starting to emerge one by one with their sad stories. A common strategy to get back on track and on the side of the public. All for another political position; h ell NO!.
Alams can go straight to h ell, nobody gives a damn about his experience in London jail.

One thing i find fascinating about Nigerians - they even build beautiful houses - where the roads are not tared.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by dean2725: 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

“We were shut in a small room and we were surrounded with mad people. At daytime, it was usually a bit quieter but in the night, that was their day. Nobody could sleep. They would be hitting their doors, scratching and shouting. When I saw this, I sat back to say ‘so, this is life.’ I was naked. This was an executive governor that was so respected with the paraphernalia of office. Anything you wanted, you got it done. You had the power of life and death. But within a twinkle of an eye, you were in that position sleeping on the bare floor. Any reasonable person would sit down and reflect,” he said.

Am damn sure that wont deter him from looting from public money if ever have the chance to be in power again. It's in the boold!
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by chidichris(m): 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2009
@alams,
ur problem was that u overlooked the powers in the prayers of the suffering masses of nigeria.
u are lucky to tell ur story and am sure next time, u will not be alive to tell ur story.
my prayer is that the other fat thieving idiots will have a more terrible experiences.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by vwvw(m): 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2009
grin grin the tale isn't complete , i'm waiting for his blood brother's tale-james onanefe Ibori. its a tincture of hell that he's experienced that awaits all the south south governors in the last dispensation in gehenna
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by ow11(m): 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2009
He is looking for sympathy votes!
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by kuramo: 6:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
This guy is not only a thief but a pathetic liar.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by walata44(m): 7:14pm On Jul 14, 2009
Ole, ajibole
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by AloyEmeka9: 11:29pm On Jul 14, 2009
kuramo:

This guy is not only a thief but a pathetic liar.
Why call him that?. Is the London jail akin to Disneyland?
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by bandely(m): 1:56am On Jul 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why call him that?. Is the London jail akin to Disneyland?
lol

@Post! So wetin im dey try talk? Im wan run for election again abi wetin? undecided
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by kokoA(m): 10:19am On Jul 15, 2009
Idiot! He was given a befitting treatment for a theif
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by chidichris(m): 11:43am On Jul 15, 2009
he was lucky bristish police is not nigerian police. nigerian police will just kill him and run away with the cash found on him.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Ben13: 11:52am On Jul 15, 2009
chidichris:

he was lucky bristish police is not nigerian police. nigerian police will just kill him and run away with the cash found on him.

abi o
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by AngieFan(f): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2009
The man is a bloody liar.
If that was really the way he was treated in a British Jail then he would have grounds to sue on the abuse of his human rights. . . but of course he won't because as I said he is lying.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Bariga1(f): 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2009
I wish say the man die for jail. what has he done for his people? such people can only have a voice in Nigeria where anything goes. no respectable person will want to be seen close to him.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Bariga1(f): 3:26pm On Jul 15, 2009
I will not be surprised if some sycophants/ parasites (wad a look for easy money ) dey beg am to run for governorship again, rather senate where you have the dead wood. Nothing short of a revolution can sort out that country. In a sane society pple will be scared to be seen to know this man.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by MrCrackles(m): 3:27pm On Jul 15, 2009
Alams should shut the fuc.k up and bury his heads inside a pile of dog poo. . . .

Some people are shameless! angry
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2009
Alams is a joke.
A few days before he was arrested, I remember seeing this guy with a few other pple at MamaCalabar downloading all sorts.

This guy should shut his pie hole and thank God he is still alive.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by kshow1(m): 3:57pm On Jul 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Alamieyeseigha: My experience in London jail
The former governor, who was slammed into the prison shortly after he underwent a surgical operation in Germany in 2005, said he was made to sleep naked on a bare floor.
He said he was afraid for his life because he was thrown into prison with blood still dripping from his tummy after the operation.
Alams is a bloody lie, british police will not put him in prison with these condition.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by redsun(m): 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
I wish he was raped in jail,animal.How come he is free to have a media interview?
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by generalzango(m): 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2009
Lets make Alams N/L best writer 2009.
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by JustGood(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2009
We are a shameless people. How can this dog have the guts to open his mouth and speak to media media with so much audacity? He even lied!

The idiot should have been stoned while being interviewed angry
Re: Alamieyeseigha: My Experience In London Jail by Bariga1(f): 7:30pm On Jul 16, 2009
Thank you everyone for standing up for the truth.

One love brothers. We need to speak with one voice against such people.

Nigeria needs help and very fast too otherwise we will degenerate into somalia.

(1) (Reply)

Robbers Kill Dpo, Two Other Policemen In Bank Robbery In Ogun State. / Seven Reasons For Not Voting Goodluck Jonathan In 2011 / The Church As A Powerful Tool In Nigeria's Politics; Yet Being Misused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.