Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation (47948 Views)

Ex-CBN Staff Forfeits TEEDEK Polytechnic To Government [Photos] / Senate Summons CBN Governor Over Naira Depreciation / Ex-cbn Governor, Sanusi, Joins Blackstone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by SolomonAdeola: 5:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
drss:
wetin una expect from mere commissioner d fact dat him dey head buari's economic team is a testament dat buari's govt is a huge joke.

At a young age, HD became a professor. I wonder what you had achieved at that age.

1 Like

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by fairheven: 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2016
Reference:

He is not preaching against it. He is asking for a convergence of indicies so that the economy is on an even. No one can build effectively on uneven ground. Can you?

One out of many rexamples (reasoning examples). If I was to set up industry requires fx and I bought at 300. How will I compete with you who buys at 'government' rate if I'm not on the list, connected or corrupt. The uneven playing field is a big disinvestment. If the margin was 2, 10, 15% I may harzard it but the margin in 70% encounting. Which kind of profit will I make to hedge this risk.

I don't really see any need for convergence, let's get off our shoulder once and for all. So am not really interested in him preaching against or in favor, my point is, if he didn't do much to eradicate it, so what?

That has always been our problem, in that you give pple (all our past leaders inclusive) opportunity to make a difference and they fail to do that and still turn around to crucify others.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by miketayo(m): 6:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
Clone2020:
My father always tell me stories of how he used to travel to the U.S in the 80s and the Naira was stronger than the dollar. I used to think it was one of the fairy tales parents tell e.g like how they always came first in class but the one day they came 2nd, they almost committed suicide cuz their parents would've killed them. Anyway, he went on to say back then, Nigerians only traveled to the US to do business, school or vacation. My father said the white man used to beg Nigerians to come to America cuz our currency was so powerful and they needed the tourism money. Nigerians never really liked travelling abroad, for what? Our economy was booming, our currency was very strong, the middle class was thriving. There was still that belief that children will grow up to surpass their parents in wealth and achievements. It's sad to see that once beautiful country with so much potential going down the drain fast while the rest of the world is excelling. $1 is now over N300. My Ghanaian friends sometimes tease me that it's cheaper to burn a pile of naira notes than buy firewood. Is this what we have become? A laughing stock? A country that produces nothing? I don't know about you but I miss the Nigeria of the 60s-80s and I certainly miss a stronger Naira.

Strong currency doesn't mean ur economy LL boom.. Ethiopia brr is pretty high and their economy is shit, Naira is better than S.korean's currency yet u can't compare both economy

3 Likes

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Reference(m): 6:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
yaki84:

how much is being budgetted to this ministries in d current bill?

It is not about budget alone. It is not about projects, incentives and programs. It is about the enabling environment. That is where most Nigerians and Buhari is running away from. They are afraid of inflation in the face of dwindling 'cash to spend'. I call it cash to spend not income because that is our mentality which must change. If local chicken is more expensive that imported ones, local pepper more expensive than 'better' ghana and cameroun pepper, if wheat is cheaper than garri, pally abeg tell me, who will farm. You don't go into productive business for the fun of it but to make money. If the government sides with ghana pepper and german bmw's by its monetary policy, what can we do.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by walexsho(m): 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2016
The way out is to place ban on Importation of some goods like shoes, bags, toothpicks, cutleries and lot of things that are certainly made in Nigeria...
They need to show me made in Nigeria Cars, Made in Nigeria phone, Made in Nigeria TVs, Made in Nigeria Computers, Made in Nigeria CCTV cameras. Even the Assembled in Nigeria are still Imported. Government need to reason like higher Animals and not cockroach.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Sanchase: 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2016
These are the consequences of devaluation, for example if the government devalue the exchange rate of Naira to Dollar which currently is

N197 to $1. Say the government decide to peg it at N200 = $1, this will have a ripple effect across everything more than we currently experience

in Nigeria. Every Naira added by the government on top of the current exchange rate figure will be multiplied 2x in addition by every business in

Nigeria, this is normal because nobody wants to sell at a loss. If this devaluation happens again that is when we will witness more inflation i.e.

the price of goods that normally sell for N10 will then skyrocket to N50. This is bad for an average Nigerian striving to survive as they will pay

double the price for everything while their income is reduced, sales will drop while prices remain high due to substitute products that can be

bought slightly cheaper. An average Nigerian will spend more money for everything while his/her income remain the same or even less for business

people as their revenue will drop even though they still make profit.

Secondly, Nigerian economy will not benefit from devaluation because it is a major importer of almost everything. This affects the economy

because a country where there is nothing to sell to earn foreign exchange apart from oil, any trigger on that oil affects the currency severely.

Devaluation is only suitable for a major exporting country so that foreign investors can come and buy cheap goods from the country while the

country produce those goods in massive quantities, but i detest devaluation of any sort because quality goods at suitable prices will still attract

foreign investors.

The solution is for Nigerians to change the way they think, Nigerians need to turn a blind eye to foreign made goods and get use to local

alternatives and enhance them to meet standards.

The Federal government maintains there will not be any devaluation and it will not change so hoarders of foreign exchange is in for a long ride.

shameseun:

[color=#000099][/color]Seems many Nigerians do not even understand the meaning of this devaluation, hence their objection on the idea.

Please can you educate us on why you kicked bitterly against it.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by asamaigho(m): 6:16pm On Feb 28, 2016
ideylaff:

2 time CBN Governor he was.

Very calm level headed man.

Simple life and simple words

When he speaks he making sence .

Bubu and Osinbajo need to listen oooooo

Diversification and Exportation of made in Nigeria goods won't happen overnight

Also enuff of Jonathan did this and that

I voted for Buhari but he's driving Nigeria with a rear view mirror

I've just about had enuff of blame games and excuses. You are in charge now

Investors have left the country in the midst of too many pictures, bilateral talks, photographs and prayer meetings before meetings all over the place

Had enuff

i think he still needs our supports and constructive critism.
be patient as soon as d 2016 kicks of in april,am optimistic dat d "change" will felt by all.

God bless pmb/pyo
Nigeria shall b great.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by aloeman15(m): 6:20pm On Feb 28, 2016
Progressive01:
Because he doesn't support devaluation shocked

Jonathan's loss has turned some people into mad men with internet access. cheesy

Some crooks that benefited immensely from the criminal regime of the Ineffectual Baboon, and hoarding their dollar loot, are trying desperately to blackmail the government into devaluing the naira so they can turn gazilionaires overnight.

Una plans no go work.

#Rashford is the man jor.
Guys.
I'm confused.
Are we implying that sanusi is a jonathan man?
That he's now a wailer?!
OMO!
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by WaffenSS(m): 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2016
kITATITA:
Someone please educate me; is there any country in a monolith economy that got better after currency devaluation

Nope. Certainly not in Africa, where the ratio between import/export is 98:1 against.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2016
pendusky:
I started seeing different Osibanjo when he said GEJ and Yar'adua didn't build a single road!!!

Take it or leave it!

This country is in economy mess!

Its affecting Everyone...

heard Buhari form Its Economic Team and SAN is the head, I am wondering if its the same Federal Economic Council that is headed by VP then I must say we are joking!

I am watching ooh!

He said federal govt did not construct any new road in the last ten years. All they did was repair and he is very correct.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by TGLINKS(m): 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2016
Ngilish
If una don talk finish make una let me no I wan
Drink garr cool
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by 989900: 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2016
Reference:

A stronger naira only favours imports and importers. The stronger the naira the cheaper the goods imported whether they are raw materials or finished goods. Devalue your currency and imported tomatoes will become expensive, people will return to the farm and in suffient numbers the price of local tomatoes will go down again.

What Buhari is saying by refusing devaluation is that he does not have hope that the average Nigerian will abandon costly imported goods for cheaper ones be it fuel, cars, chicken, fish or furniture. He doesn't trust our intellect, fortitude and capacity to be a productive people. That is why he has kicked the can down to another administration. The worst thing is that most Nigerians instead of saying, yes we can, are saying, Mr. President. We have no hope of doing things for ourselves. Infact we give up and wait for oil prices to rise again....slavery.

Really? That seems to have worked very well since 65 kobo to a dollar to N199 to a dollar.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by 989900: 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
VP makes more sense.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by walexsho(m): 6:32pm On Feb 28, 2016
Hypocrites can never succeed, there are diverse opinion on the current exchange rate
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by luke10: 6:40pm On Feb 28, 2016
greatiyk4u:
Devaluation should be entirely suspended for now, too many distractions aimed at compounding the confusion of this already confused government,,,Buhari is the last hope of common Nigerian and so should be allowed to deliver.
Buhari is hopeless to Nigerians
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by blazetitov: 6:40pm On Feb 28, 2016
Reference:

Will you buy less quality Nigerian goods at a more expensive price that better but cheaper imported alternatives. Your truthful answer will be no. Even the VP and his government are not doing this. There has to be an incentive, a carrot to take hard decisions or a stick to force submission. Nigeria has no more carrots in the CBN or Treasury. The only way to change is to force it by devaluation. The best time to do it is now with a combination of low oil prices and a new and popular government. If you were a patriot you will do the right thing, not the expedient thing. There is no painless way to develop. We have been on palliatives since 1988 due to Babangida's half measures. He started, saw the bleeding body on the operating table and fearing popular uprising baulked and elected for drugs instead.

Nigeria needs focused, courageous leadership that Buhari is currently not offering. I warn again. The populism of his anti-corruption drive will wane and when there are no longer deviants to conquer, Napoleon will weep.

Nice thesis.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
^^
What would it take for the lords of Nigeria to address regular, scheduled press conferences with representatives of the media in attendance? VGC town hall meeting is not an appropriate forum for debate of national issues that affect the entire country

1 Like

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by 9japrof(m): 7:06pm On Feb 28, 2016
fairheven:

This is a different SANUSI O,this one is Joseph Sanusi
Thanks for the info
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by bigtt76(f): 7:11pm On Feb 28, 2016
Budget - padded
Naira value - padded
Economy - padded
Oil Price - padded

Which way Nigeria undecided
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by OtunbaDon(m): 7:20pm On Feb 28, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]j
Progressive01:
Because he doesn't support devaluation shocked

Jonathan's loss has turned some people into mad men with internet access. cheesy

Some crooks that benefited immensely from the criminal regime of the Ineffectual Baboon, and hoarding their dollar loot, are trying desperately to blackmail the government into devaluing the naira so they can turn gazilionaires overnight.

Una plans no go work.

#Rashford is the man jor.
tanks @ rashford just because jonathan lost ooo we no go hear word now,this govt is trying his best to make this nation gr8 again,16yrs of PDP Rule was a disaster to the common man instead those people inside the caucus enjoying the loot of the national Cake i just laugh wen i hear people who cannot lead in their respective homes saying jargons abt d president .We are all @ fault so watch ur steps retrace it n stop blaming PMB
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by okoseun: 8:23pm On Feb 28, 2016
Joseph Sanusi and NOT Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

Sanchase:
SAnusi, sanusi, sanusi. How many times did i call you?

You are no longer the CBN governor so get that into your brain dead skull.

Take your devaluation to Kano, ur village precisely.

Sanusi and his team of embezzlers have stacked up huge amount of foreign currency, they are now pushing the government to devalue Naira so

they can cash in, ur plan go no work boy.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by kawkab: 8:49pm On Feb 28, 2016
Clone2020:
My father always tell me stories of how he used to travel to the U.S in the 80s and the Naira was stronger than the dollar. I used to think it was one of the fairy tales parents tell e.g like how they always came first in class but the one day they came 2nd, they almost committed suicide cuz their parents would've killed them. Anyway, he went on to say back then, Nigerians only traveled to the US to do business, school or vacation. My father said the white man used to beg Nigerians to come to America cuz our currency was so powerful and they needed the tourism money. Nigerians never really liked travelling abroad, for what? Our economy was booming, our currency was very strong, the middle class was thriving. There was still that belief that children will grow up to surpass their parents in wealth and achievements. It's sad to see that once beautiful country with so much potential going down the drain fast while the rest of the world is excelling. $1 is now over N300. My Ghanaian friends sometimes tease me that it's cheaper to burn a pile of naira notes than buy firewood. Is this what we have become? A laughing stock? A country that produces nothing? I don't know about you but I miss the Nigeria of the 60s-80s and I certainly miss a stronger Naira.

My brother I lived in Accra Ghana for some months now. Even in our present state the Nigeria Economy is still better than that of Ghana. The prices of items in Abuja and Lagos is far cheaper than Accra.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Reference(m): 9:02pm On Feb 28, 2016
Sanchase:
These are the consequences of devaluation, for example if the government devalue the exchange rate of Naira to Dollar which currently is

N197 to $1. Say the government decide to peg it at N200 = $1, this will have a ripple effect across everything more than we currently experience

in Nigeria. Every Naira added by the government on top of the current exchange rate figure will be multiplied 2x in addition by every business in

Nigeria, this is normal because nobody wants to sell at a loss. If this devaluation happens again that is when we will witness more inflation i.e.

the price of goods that normally sell for N10 will then skyrocket to N50. This is bad for an average Nigerian striving to survive as they will pay

double the price for everything while their income is reduced, sales will drop while prices remain high due to substitute products that can be

bought slightly cheaper. An average Nigerian will spend more money for everything while his/her income remain the same or even less for business

people as their revenue will drop even though they still make profit.

Secondly, Nigerian economy will not benefit from devaluation because it is a major importer of almost everything. This affects the economy

because a country where there is nothing to sell to earn foreign exchange apart from oil, any trigger on that oil affects the currency severely.

Devaluation is only suitable for a major exporting country so that foreign investors can come and buy cheap goods from the country while the

country produce those goods in massive quantities, but i detest devaluation of any sort because quality goods at suitable prices will still attract

foreign investors.

The solution is for Nigerians to change the way they think, Nigerians need to turn a blind eye to foreign made goods and get use to local

alternatives and enhance them to meet standards.

The Federal government maintains there will not be any devaluation and it will not change so hoarders of foreign exchange is in for a long ride.

Your advice is at cross purposes. How can they 'turn a blind eye to imports' when you make it easier for them to import. Explain.

1 Like

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Reference(m): 9:07pm On Feb 28, 2016
989900:

Really? That seems to have worked very well since 65 kobo to a dollar to N199 to a dollar.

Yes. Babangida devalued but didn't follow through with reforms. And by 1988/89 he abandoned it all together. The same uncertainty we face now. The naira slides as indecision persists.

1 Like

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by opineflu(m): 10:21pm On Feb 28, 2016
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by alhabie(m): 10:32pm On Feb 28, 2016
Sanchase:
SAnusi, sanusi, sanusi. How many times did i call you?

You are no longer the CBN governor so get that into your brain dead skull.

Take your devaluation to Kano, ur village precisely.

Sanusi and his team of embezzlers have stacked up huge amount of foreign currency, they are now pushing the government to devalue Naira so

they can cash in, ur plan go no work boy.

Ermmm,It's so unfortunate that you read with sentiments..The Sanusi being referred to in this article is Joseph Sanusi and not Emir of Kano..

1 Like

Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by persius555(m): 10:55pm On Feb 28, 2016
There is no wisdom in this devaluation of a thing. Greece had years of economic downturn with debts running into billions of dollars, no IMF adviced them to devalue their currency. Today, greece is emerging out of the woods. Angola took the IMF advice and presently their economy is at the brink of collapse. If the CBN's plan to fully diversify works, there wont be any need for devaluation.

As far as i am concerned, IMF and international financial institutions just want to hold our economy to ransom and turn our economy to another dumping ground If we get this right, it will signal the rebirth of the economic giant of africa. If nigerians can show faith in the policies of this govt, with corruption drastically reduced, our economy would be the better for it.
Devaluation is definitely not a healthy option for us at this moment. The plan is to kill our currency and further weaken our economy. On the record, no country has heeded to IMFs without facing more woes.

Nigerians hold the key to a better economy. Lets start creating, producing and assembling. The naira is our currency and not the dollar. Its a good thing the president is looking to the east for finacial aids and not the west. We will get out of this mess stronger.

Long live nigeria.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
kITATITA:
Someone please educate me; is there any country in a monolith economy that got better after currency devaluation

Few people are making millions from the wide exchange rates.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by bashydemy(m): 11:11pm On Feb 28, 2016
drss:
wetin una expect from mere commissioner d fact dat him dey head buari's economic team is a testament dat buari's govt is a huge joke.
See this son of hate, You know a wailer when you see them. SO you also support devaluation of naira abi? you and your likes will never succeed. We know PDP always want PMB to fail and devaluing the naira will hating that.
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Exjoker(m): 11:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
Joseph Sanusi
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Leke001: 12:18am On Feb 29, 2016
I just get irritated each time Osunbade talks about economy..what does he know?
Re: Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 29, 2016
Clone2020:

Brother ...about your Ghanian friends ,I don't think they knw what they re saying $1= 4cedis which is 400 naira ...so they talking shit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP In Early Lead In Ekiti / Jonathan's Government And The Refineries, Lest We Forget. / Who Is Nigeria's Best Minister Of Information Since 1999?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.