Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,254 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. (2891 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Clark Condemns Obama Over Presentation Of Certificate Of Commendation To Jega / Fashiola Blasts Jonathan Over Speech At Lagos PDP Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 9:02am On Jul 14, 2009
I expected falana to commend this guy's speech. For how long are we gonna keep blaiming the colonial masters for our situation? The problem with Africa is Africans and not the whites weather we like it or not!

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=148662
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by ikeyman00(m): 9:14am On Jul 14, 2009
i think he has a point

but u are trickin on completely diferent platform

cuz he never said what u thought he said

so read again

we the nigerians still hold our baffons leaders responsible; not oyibo

lets see how the white house will response to that??

it will be interestin

my guess is they might just keep quiet cuz they know na serious statement be that
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 9:17am On Jul 14, 2009
ikeyman00:

i think he has a point

but u are trickin on completely diferent platform

cuz he never said what u thought he said

so read again

we the nigerians still hold our baffons leaders responsible; not oyibo

lets see how the white house will response to that??

it will be interestin

my guess is they might just keep quite cuz they know na serious statement be that

Let me go through it again, maybe I will see what you saw. But my position remains unchanged.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 14, 2009
falana has a point there.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by AjanleKoko: 11:50am On Jul 14, 2009
The guy is spot on.
After many years of bribing corrupt government officials in Nigeria, US is still not getting value for money. Hence the shift to Ghana.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by vigasimple(m): 12:08pm On Jul 14, 2009
Every country that has ever make serious progress always look inward and stop looking for real or imaginary enemies.

If we ever have a govt near Idiagbon, Nigerians will become discpline and patriotic, and we can then together fight our outside common enemy.

Our internal enemy are even stronger than the outer ones.

1. CORRUPTION
2. AWFUL LEADERSHIP
3. TRIBALISM
4. DIVERSION FROM REAL ISSUES- which Falana is helping to do in this case

Falana may have one or two point BUT he is basically diluting OBAMA strong message to our' leaders' who are bleeding us to death, and trying blaming foreign powers.

WHAT DID FALANA SAID WHEN RUSSIAN PRESIDENT CAME SOME FEW WEEKS BACK AND SIGN NUCLEAR CONTRACT?

I think Falana just want cheap publicity and he may be suffering from ASD- attention seeking deficiency.

OBAMA  has told our 'leaders' and ourselves the truth. We can either take it or leave it. We should take our own future into our own hands, and stop complaining about colonialism  or whatever. Even our own people are more wicked than the colonial masters. Most of the things in Nigeria today is built by the colonial masters.

An average African trust a white person more than his/her own people with some justifications.

NIGERIA: GOOD PEOPLE, GREAT NATION, AWFUL LEADERSHIP grin grin grin
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
vigasimple:

Every country that has ever make serious progress always look inward and stop looking for real or imaginary enemies.

If we ever have a govt near Idiagbon, Nigerians will become discpline and patriotic, and we can then together fight our outside common enemy.

Our internal enemy are even stronger than the outer ones.

1. CORRUPTION
2. AWFUL LEADERSHIP
3. TRIBALISM

Falana may have one or two point BUT he is basically diluting OBAMA strong message to our' leaders' who are bleeding us to death, and trying blaming foreign powers.

WHAT DID FALANA SAID WHEN RUSSIAN PRESIDENT CAME SOME FEW WEEKS BACK AND SIGN NUCLEAR CONTRACT?

I think Falana just want cheap publicity and he may be suffering from ASD- attention seeking deficiency.

OBAMA  has told our 'leaders' and ourselves the truth. We can either take it or leave it. We should take our own future into our own hands, and stop complaining about colonialism  or whatever. Even our own people are more wicked than the colonial masters. Most of the things in Nigeria today is built by the colonial masters.

An average African trust a white person more than his/her own people with some justifications.

NIGERIA: GOOD PEOPLE, GREAT NATION, AWFUL LEADERSHIP grin grin grin

spot on!
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by deb(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2009
The Falana that I know is a no ass kisser and he is not seeking any nonsense attention from Nigerian government.

Sometimes, you've got to stand by your own country, even if it is the most "corrupt", especially when bad comments are
coming from hypocrites like United States
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by back2back(f): 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
1. CORRUPTION
2. AWFUL LEADERSHIP
3. TRIBALISM

These are after effects of our problem.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Fhemmmy: 3:07pm On Jul 14, 2009
I think Falana needs to shut the hell up.
Inasmuch as i know the trade of slaves them was a demand - supply thing, however, it was the black people that captured the people and sold them into slavery.
Also, the guy yab africa and i think Africa deserves such, cos for all the years that African nations has been indipendent, there is nothing to show for it, Africa has all what it takes to be developed, has the brain, natural resources and so far the climate to be exporters of so many things, Nigeria as an example makes so much money to be able to do great and mighty things, but some few help the nation hostage and stealing all for their own generation, so tell me what Obama has said that wasnt true?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by asha80(m): 3:13pm On Jul 14, 2009
back2back:

These are after effects of our problem.

What then are the real problems?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
deb:

Sometimes, you've got to stand by your own country, even if it is the most "corrupt", especially when bad comments are
coming from hypocrites like United States

@ deb
Throw more light please
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 3:36pm On Jul 14, 2009
To Those who claim FALANA made a point or two, can we please get you to LIST those points?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 3:41pm On Jul 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

To Those who claim FALANA made a point or two, can we please get you to LIST those points?

Good bless you. Oyah over to you people.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by deb(m): 3:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
@ deb
Throw more light please

United States may be sweeping theirs under the carpet and dealing with t privately, but the fact remains that they are corrupt too.
Therefore, let them not open their rubbish mouth to talk about how bad others are and how holy they are .
Its a simple fact. Obama should shut up!

How many of you have watched the film 24, all the 7seasons? That is how they do their corruption and deal with it privately, not like
Nigeria where we are the first to tell the world our own wrong and later we start spitting fire that we are not being treated well
outside of the country.

Any more facts that you want??
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 4:02pm On Jul 14, 2009
deb:

United States may be sweeping theirs under the carpet and dealing with t privately, but the fact remains that they are corrupt too.
Therefore, let them not open their rubbish mouth to talk about how bad others are and how holy they are .

How many of you have watched the film 24, all the 7seasons? That is how they do their corruption and deal with it privately, not like
Nigeria where we are the first to tell the world our own wrong and later we start spitting fire that we are not being treated well
outside of the country.

Deb, I get you, corruption is everywhere right? But how come the US government still provide social amenities for their citizens and your country Nigeria can not, how come even with corruption in the U.S, the necessary infrastructures for economic growth are readily available eh? The fact is that the guy (obama) said the truth and like normal human beings that we are, we are trying to run away from the truth because it is bitter. You have no moral justification to tell Obama to "shut up" Are we not more corrupt than the U.S?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Fhemmmy: 4:10pm On Jul 14, 2009
deb:

outside of the country.

Can you please tell us why you think Obama was wrong for his comments on Africa.
Africa's future is in the hands of Africans, so Obama said, and was he not right?
It is a terrible thing to the economy of Africa when the leaders are enriching themselves of the monies in Africa, is that not a correct statement?
Africa can make it, but has to be real to themselves and hold the leaders responsible, is that a lie?
African nations needs not just Aids from the west, but some institute to make things work, was that a lie?
So tell me how and what has Falana said that makes sense?
people talking about reward for slavery, what will happen to the reward when we cant even manage our budget well?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2009

Has the argument ever been that the US does not have corruption in its System or what has this to do with anything? Only some months ago, we were regaled with stories of how Blagojevich ran a corrupt government. The whole world heard and saw his disgrace and the whole world is watching and waiting for the day he gets to start his sentence for his crimes. So, how is that same as SWEEPING THEIRS UNDER THE CARPET? If anything, the US EXPOSES corruption in its system as much as it can afford.  

Obama NEVER IN HIS SPEECH mentioned that the US was HOLIER, that is your delusion, sir!!

NoWhere in his speech did he call for everyone to BE LIKE THE US, in fact he never really tried to compare Africa with the US, so again, I fail to see the fact you speak of here.

ROFLMAO!!!! I said it, they will use HOLLYWOOD to destroy america’s image ooO!!! Roflmao!!! So 24 is now  factual when it comes to how things run in America? Let me guess, the Movie MATRIX is also true life? Roflmao!!!

Nigeria where we are the first to tell the world our own wrong and later we start spitting fire that we are not being treated well outside of the country.

You have stated NO FACTS, my friend!!! RAMBLINGS are NOT EQUAL TO facts. Nigerians complain about how they are treated because some of us go out  to act the fool while the rest of us get to deal with the consequences. Look at the case of the former Mayor of Cleveland, OH who was caught demanding bribe and stealing while in office. You mean say if another Nigerian decides to run for the same post, there is absolutely no reason why the people of Cleveland would want to think twice before electing the second Nigerian as mayor?  Please think before you respond.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by MandingoII(m): 4:15pm On Jul 14, 2009
She's a very under-educated woman.

Africans SOLD africans.

Africans were ANGRY when the Europeans ended the slave trade.

she is either DUMB, STUPID or manipulating the facts.

She's a Tribalist.  I guess she thought Obama was coming with American Dollars to throw at Africa - while the elite continue STEALING the money and the Aid.  Like they have done in the past.

She's just MAD because she can't STEAL AID.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
That is the problem I have with the call for Reparations. WE sold our own to the slave masters. The helped capture and sell our own brothers and sisters as commodities to the world, so why in the world is falana, in the year 2009, calling for reparation?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by MandingoII(m): 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2009
That is the problem I have with the call for Reparations. WE sold our own to the slave masters. The helped capture and sell our own brothers and sisters as commodities to the world, so why in the world is falana, in the year 2009, calling for reparation?

BECAUSE somebody PAID him to.

He is getting older. Surely his days are numbered. He might as well LIVE WELL through bribery.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2009
Please may I ask a question? Is Africa the only continent that underwent colonization?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
MandingoII:

BECAUSE somebody PAID him to.

He is getting older. Surely his days are numbered. He might as well LIVE WELL through bribery.

So if you are paid to sell your child, will you?
And since they have been paid then, why asking for reward then?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by MandingoII(m): 4:29pm On Jul 14, 2009
So if you are paid to sell your child, will you?
And since they have been paid then, why asking for reward then?

you do not make sense
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
Good question @Femmy lol

We were paid in mirrors, gun power etc for selling our own brothers. We even led these strangers to where they could get the fattest and strongest and most fertile of our brothers. Now we sit calling for REPARATIONS while the whole world continues to move along past us?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Beline(f): 4:36pm On Jul 14, 2009
Surely African problem is African, the moment we stop blaming others for our problem and look forward to solving them ourselves the better for us.

Our fathers sold our brothers and sisters to the world, they weren't kidnapped.  we started our problem because of selfishness for that I don't see any reason why someone should open his or her mouth and to talk of reparation.

If I may ask, is our present problem that of the colonial master? i.e lack of electricity, good road or the corrupt men and women in power? people should stop making any statement just to be notice.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2009
@KokoA, this is just the usual with Africa. We seem ever keen to find excuses for why we should not do the right thing and the trend remains to blame it all on everyone else but self. If you continue, I bet you some of these people will find you reasons why corruption and bribery is not the fault of the culprits who are caught red handed each day committing these crimes.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2009
MandingoII:

you do not make sense

Throw more light on your statement please. Thanks
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by mogentle(m): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2009
THIS IS THE MESSAGE FROM FALANA.
Falana Slams Obama over Speech in Ghana
By Chinedu Eze, 07.14.2009

Lawyer and human rights activist, Femi Falana, has berated President Barack Obama over his speech in Ghana, saying it was a huge embarrassment to the African continent and black people.
Fielding questions from newsmen yesterday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Falana said Obama was wrong when he said Africans should stop blaming the colonialists for slave trade and  subsequent under-development that followed.
.“I watched the Obama stop over in Ghana, sentiments apart; I think it was an embarrassment for Africa that Obama only made a stop in Africa.  And even at that,  it was a ‘yabbis session.’ And that was not what Africans were expecting from the first black President of United States of America . He talked down on Africans. He also said, ‘you cannot blame the under-development on Africa ; you cannot just dismiss it on the basis of corruption of its leaders.’
“And I reject,  in its entirety,  the statement credited to Obama that we should no longer blame colonialists for slave trade. Why shouldn’t we? Incidentally, he visited the Cape Coast where you have the slave camp. And Obama almost had nothing to say there.”
Recalling the slave trade, Falana said  Europeans traded on Africans for 500 years and wondered who would pay reparation for the exploitation of the continent over these years.
“For 500 years , Africans were illegally seized, they were kidnapped, through terrorist action of the Western countries and shipped to Europe and America to build those countries.
“Who is going to pay reparation for them? I thought Obama was going to talk about reparation. The Italian government has agreed to pay N5billion reparation to Libya for colonialism for 40 years. So who is going to pay us colonialism of 100 years?
“Who is going to pay Ghana  And then you come around and say your problem is your problem,  that is unfair. You got to solve your own problem. America must be part of the solution to our problem, because they created part of it, ” he said.
Also reacting to part of Obama’s statement where he attributed the decay in the African continent  to sit-tight African leaders, Falana also said: “President Obama was in Egypt recently. Is Egypt a democratic country? President Mubarak has been in power since 1981, he was recently in Saudi Arabia , did they hold elections there? So you can’t use lack of democracy or free reign of corruption in Africa to excuse the connivance of the United States government or Western European countries, the connivance of these countries is the destruction of the economy of Africa .”
He also said fighting corruption has to be holistic and not partitioned, as it is currently being done in Nigeria.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=148662
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by MrCrackles(m): 4:43pm On Jul 14, 2009
Beline:

Surely African problem is African, the moment we stop blaming others for our problem and look forward to solving them ourselves the better for us.

Spot on!
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by back2back(f): 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2009
asha 80:

What then are the real problems?

We dont believe in the country called Nigeria!

And we would never believe in it.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
MandingoII:

you do not make sense

I wasn't trying to make sense, but trying to state the fact.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Politicians Are The Same All Over. They Promise To Build A Bridge Even Where The / . / Orji Uzor Kalu In His His Water Sport Vehicle – Earned From ABIA Treassury.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.