Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. (2886 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Clark Condemns Obama Over Presentation Of Certificate Of Commendation To Jega / Fashiola Blasts Jonathan Over Speech At Lagos PDP Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
Who do you guys think will win the wrestlemenia? grin Obj or Taylor?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2009
I still wait to read the exact points this man supposedly made .
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 3:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
Arrant nonsense. Falana is just seeking international recognition. As far as I know, the most respected man in Nigeria, in my opinion, is Wole Soyinka and you all need to hear his view on the visit. It's people like Femi Falana that always let the truth slide away in lieu of lies, all for what? Dignity? And can anyone tell me what dignity Nigeria has left? Some people purported the speech was against Nigeria and I ask myself "what if it is?". Africa need to start looking in a positive direction and work on their own problems rather than blaming it on Foreign leaders. India is fast developing than Nigeria, weren't we both colonized by Britain? Are they giving excuses for their failures? Today, India is one of the most recognized country when it comes to Human Medicine. What has Nigeria got to show? Stolen funds, Pipeline vandalization and a bunch of clueless, non-occupational leaders. Imagine a situation where you ask a governor what he's occupation is, he'd say "I'm a Governor" Hell, that's an occupation to be proud of, but Nigerian governors are nothing but cheap and derailed animals.

Falana should shut up and concentrate more on helping the desirable people who want to "clean" the country instead of making unnecessary comment to attract international recognition
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Bota: 3:29pm On Jul 15, 2009
Truth is even if they pay reparation, none of us will see a dime, the people that will chop and yank it off to offshore accounts are waiting (pls excuse my cynicism). Finally, a US President that can look straight into our eyes and say STOP BEING VICTIMS. A great wrong was done, everyone acknowledges that but the people that deserve the reparation are not even here, they are the ones that were taken away, not the ones left behind.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 3:42pm On Jul 15, 2009
becoomrich:

I do not think falana said so. You see the newspaper Thisdays is a propaganda machine of the government of Nigeria.
@ becoomrich

I beg to dis-agree with you sir.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 3:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
Bota:

Truth is even if they pay reparation, none of us will see a dime, the people that will chop and yank it off to offshore accounts are waiting (pls excuse my cynicism). Finally, a US President that can look straight into our eyes and say STOP BEING VICTIMS. A great wrong was done, everyone acknowledges that but  the people that deserve the reparation are not even here, they are the ones that were taken away, not the ones left behind.
Shell paid some money in form of reparation to Ken Saro Wiwa's son, does anyone know how that money is expended? I guess not. This is a civilized world where every country is doing everything they can to improve their standard of living and what has the Nigerian government been successful at doing? Looting billions of Naira daily! And Africans, in spite of this, want them to be paid reparation especially Nigerians? Nigerian Government will do nothing to share the money and that is the last we will hear of it. As for the ones who needs reparation, you're right, they aren't here no more but their offsprings are the famous "African American". So they are already enjoying the dividends and one of them is OBAMA! What more reparation do we want? Free money from US? Lazy ass lawyer looking for recognition!
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Jul 15, 2009
I don’t understand this feeling that the world OWES us. Worse, I cannot for the life of me, understand how anyone can believe that apply in this day and age. The world has given OVER $1.5 Trillion dollars( number as of July 2005) in AID to Africa in the last 40 years alone. How can Africa, still UNGRATEFUL, continue to ask for reparation in this time and day when we have yet to show that the FREE OFFERS we have gotten in the past made any difference?

We have had numerous opportunities to turn our situation around yet, we remain ground zero for some of the world’s most despicable and disgusting situations.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2009
TheSeeker:

Lazy ass lawyer looking for recognition!

grin That was harsh, but its not lie sha.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 3:59pm On Jul 15, 2009
Bill Clinton once said (I might not have remembered the right words he used but this is what he implied): "The question has always being what can we do for Africa? but now I think the right question is what can we do with Africa?"

I agree with him
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 4:05pm On Jul 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don’t understand this feeling that the world OWES us. Worse, I cannot for the life of me, understand how anyone can believe that apply in this day and age. The world has given OVER $1.5 Trillion dollars( number as of July 2005) in AID to Africa in the last 40 years alone. How can Africa, still UNGRATEFUL, continue to ask for reparation in this time and day when we have yet to show that the FREE OFFERS we have gotten in the past made any difference?

We have had numerous opportunities to turn our situation around yet, we remain ground zero for some of the world’s most despicable and disgusting situations.

That is it. Let's start from Nigeria, one of the things he said was "corrupt port authority official" and can someone honestly tell me that was a lie? No! The problem we have in Nigeria is that we'd rather love to be told bunch of lies than the cold truth. Truth has always known to come cold and harsh and you've got to take it as it comes and act on it. Nigerian leaders will turn deaf ears to that speech because they are what he described. Again, what advantage did Nigeria make from the debt that was forgiven by the Paris Club? On top of that what happened, Yara'nonsense went for another loan somewhere else. What are they doing with these funds? Looting! It's a shame that within a short term from now, Ghana will be regarded by the rest of the world as the true giant of Africa. Someone said earlier that Egypt and Saudi Arabia aren't democratic, but are these countries as corrupt as Sub-Saharan African countries? No! Ghana, in all honesty, is the only country that has experienced peace since the transition of power in 1992. Truth be told, Nigeria is fast sliding into decadence and worst of all is no one will come to confront the leader --- all of them are corrupt and bought over; Obama went ahead and spoke about bribery and corruption, doesn't Nigeria fall in that category, ranging from Police to Politicians, Student to Teachers etc. Nigeria is a sad image of Africa, we should cede the position of the Giant of Africa to Ghana.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Omowunmimi(f): 4:13pm On Jul 15, 2009
FALANA that I knew was an activist a die hard human Right. But Now he is dining and wining with looters when last did he check AC thru his activism ,now its only PDP looting ? dont know if U hear him about Ekiti Election as if only PDP rigged. (all parties rigged) . The FALANA I see now has derailed.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by samparian(m): 4:27pm On Jul 15, 2009
Falana has been given some Ghana must go bags
why should we continue to blame colonialism for our troubles?
South Africa had aparthied, but look where they are today!
Ghana also had colonial masters, but they have sanitized their place and have had the freest election ever and have transfered power peacefully from the ruling party.

Falana's comments are just diversions from the real truth.
can anyone here imagine PDP handing over the presidency to AC, APGA, FRESH or any political party
Obama wants us to sanitize our democracy and allow we the masses to choose our leaders NOT some cabal forcing obj and yar'adull on us. we all know PDP never won the presidency.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by walakolobo: 5:40pm On Jul 15, 2009
its only a fool who will continue to look at the source of his problem instead of jumping over it and moving on.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by vigasimple(m): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
@ samparian and walakolobo

Thanks for you guys comment. OBAMA has said his own, if we like, let us blame the whole world for whatever the problem, as far as that which we should be concerned about, is finding solutions to our present predicament.

I have said it before, and I will repeat it again

1. LEADERSHIP
2. CORRUPTION
3. TRIBALISM
4. DIVERSION FROM REAL ISSUES- which Falana has now become part of.

I can continue with intellectual debate which is enriching BUT  i must consider FOOD NOW ON THE TABLE FOR THE HUNGRY and build infrastructures, systems and institutions of the future so that this generation and the ones yet to be born will see a future and have a sense of direction.

FALANA  is a waste of a space, OBAMA is the real deal and that is why he is today the President of the United State.

We in the South of Nigeria have too much academic knowledge and practical  little real world knowledge (the North posses that abundantly- they have used that to obtain or retain political power)
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
The only and major reason why Obama could open his mouth to speak of this is because

a) He is of African descent
b) He is black in America

If none of these applied, he would have been STONED for such statements, even though we all know it is the truth and has been the truth for all this time.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 6:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
vigasimple:

@ samparian  and walakolobo

Thanks for you guys comment. OBAMA has said his own, if we like, let us blame the whole world for whatever the problem, as far as that which we should be concerned about, is finding solutions to our present predicament.

I have said it before, and I will repeat it again

1. LEADERSHIP
2. CORRUPTION
3. TRIBALISM
4. DIVERSION FROM REAL ISSUES- which Falana has now become part of.

I can continue with intellectual debate which is enriching BUT  i must consider FOOD NOW ON THE TABLE FOR THE HUNGRY and build infrastructures, systems and institutions of the future so that this generation and the ones yet to be born will see a future and have a sense of direction.

FALANA  is a waste of a space, OBAMA is the real deal and that is why he is today the President of the United State.

We in the South of Nigeria have too much academic knowledge and practical  little real world knowledge (the North posses that abundantly- they have used that to obtain or retain political power)
Yes, you can imagine with Yoruba producing only Obasanjo, of all people, as leader. Adedibu came next to him but now I wonder who's next? Bisi Akande has been shut out by OBJ, so what impact can South-West make on national leadership? Nothing! South-East on the other end aren't coagulated. They don't have any specific nomination; everyone wants to be President. But a little reality check here, who's the leader from the SE -- Ojukwu, Kalu, Ekwueme or who? So pitiful.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
But a little reality check here, who's the leader from the SE -- Ojukwu, Kalu, Ekwueme or who? So pitiful.

eeeekkkkkk!!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 6:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The only and major reason why Obama could open his mouth to speak of this is because

a) He is of African descent
b) He is black in America

If none of these applied, he would have been STONED for such statements, even though we all know it is the truth and has been the truth for all this time.  
Who would have stoned him? Ghanaians or Nigerians? We are forgetting that Nigeria don't matter anymore in Africa in all senses from politics to sports.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Jul 15, 2009
Bill Clinton tried in the past to make similar statements and the international media next to crucified him for it.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by MandingoII(m): 6:52pm On Jul 15, 2009
Soyinka backs Obama in Ghana, scolds Nigeria, Kenya

Soyinka backs Obama in Ghana, scolds Nigeria, Kenya
By Bayo Ohu

NOBEL Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has justified the United States President Barack Obama's decision to choose Ghana as his first touch-down on Black African soil, saying that the American leader did well to shun visiting Kenya, his father's country of birth and Nigeria, a self-acclaimed giant of the continent, since both nations have distinguished themselves in everything that has to do with corruption and bad governance.

Soyinka, in an article titled "Obama's choice", said the U.S. leader's astuteness, one that dictated the strategy of a political campaign that catapulted him to victory from the underdog position, should have informed the 'patriotic' cheerleaders of Africa's mis-governance that they can expect no preferential consideration from the 44th American president.

He said although a decade ago, Accra would also have been a non-contender for Obama's maiden visit to Africa, "but the continent has witnessed, and remains envious of, the transformation that has taken place in Ghana, an internal process of self-recovery that nearly matches that of the United States in her transition from George Bush to Barack Obama."

Soyinka, in whose honour a birthday lecture is being held in Lagos today, stated that although blood may be thicker than water, Obama's gesture was intended to inform nations like Kenya and Nigeria that neither blood nor oil is thicker than equity.

He said: "How else it is possible for Nigerian politicians to conceive that a leader like Barack Obama, who has ascended to power through a respect for the manifested will of a people, would actually lend his presence to dignify any state that demonstrably rejects, indeed actively ridicules, the very means that brought him to power?"

Defending his refusal to visit Nairobi, the Nobel Laureate noted that Obama's election took place after one of the most devastating riots ever witnessed in Kenya that lasted weeks in which entire townships and hundreds of lives were destroyed. All this, he added, was as a result of the denial of a people's right to choose their own leader through the ballot box.

"Kenya nonetheless made a claim on Obama as the logical spot for his first presidential touch-down on Black African soil and it should have been an occasion to be celebrated in festive accents as the return of the native son. And if sentiment indeed weighed more on the scale of entitlements than humanity itself, the Kenyan claim would be universally unassailable," he said.

Soyinka remarked although Nigeria has not witnessed an uprising on a scale like Kenya's in the past few decades, yet "Nigeria cannot be ranked, needless to say, any higher on the democratic scale than Kenya, even though electoral robbery did not result in such mayhem, any more than it has led to a protracted Civil War that devastated the Ivory Coast in recent times."

He went on: "Nonetheless it is important to remind ourselves that the Biafran War of Secession that began in 1966 did not lack for flammable tributaries from accumulated electoral injustices. Memories of that war, and the fear of an even more nation-destabilizing repeat have contributed to the seeming accommodativeness of the Nigerian people towards a now deeply entrenched project of national disenfranchisement.

"Only the complacent however dare eliminate possibilities of an eventual explosion from the suppressed rage that stems from civic dispossession, and the air of impunity that surrounds the incorrigible perpetrators. Indeed, this inevitability is seen by many - both insiders and outside observers - as only a matter of time. Since the debilitation of civil society through decades of military rule, Nigerians freely use the expression 'internal colonialism' as the readiest expression of the continuing suppression of popular will, an orchestrated democratic denial that operates in relay, and is sustained by a select hegemony resolved to remain in perpetual control of the nation".

The unproductive cabal, he regretted, has become increasingly arrogant and contemptuous in its dismissal of even a pragmatic semblance of a gesture towards fair dealing that sometimes salves the pride and dignity of a people.

Soyinka expressed sadness at the lack of objective self-assessment within the ruling circles of Nigeria and Kenya, saying: "It evokes pity for the continent as a whole, that such political leadership exists today which, sooner than retire into their gilded holes to reflect, have actually gone to battle on behalf over some mystic entitlement, since such is not sustained by any credentials in democratic and responsible governance."

On politicians who have expressed resentment and indignation at Obama's symbolic boycott of Nigeria, Soyinka said such leaders were lost to the irony of laying claim to recognition by a product of electoral equity, an African-American who came to power in a once openly racist nation through the ballot box.

"Such complainants are not stupid however, they are merely actors in a script of diabolical cynicism," he affirmed.

He wrote further: "Of the two, the case of our own nation, Nigeria, is obviously the more pathetic. A plague of incontinent rulers in relay, some in military uniform, others in civilian clothing, but all clones of one another, united in a commitment to unabashed profligacy, mutually assisted corruption and, to add insult to injury, an obsessive hankering for self-perpetuation, necessitating the

cultivation of outright disdain for the elementary right of their citizens to a voice in leadership choice.

"Is this truly a nation that deserves the recognition, much less a gesture of respect, from any democratically elected leadership of the world, and one especially of such unprecedented political significance for the African continent itself?"

Soyinka said if it were possible for Obama to visit Nigerians to express his condolences for such an unmerited state of affairs, parley with non-governmental organizations, exchange views with political alternatives, interact with the labour unions, hold talks with the insurgents of the oil-producing Niger Delta region and offer direct succour to the neglected people of a benighted nation, Nigeria would have been his first choice.

To Soyinka, such a precedent being impossible, at least in these times - the only programme that remained would have been, at best, a "tokenist interaction with the other Nigeria, duly vetted."

The rest, he added, "would be to wine and dine, sign some effete agreements and exchange presents with the current symbol of national decay and leadership alienation, a nation whose claim to the status of a giant is upheld only by the gigantesque dimensions of its retrogression since independence, its governance ineptness and the colossal scale of its corruption.

"Obama knows that every other hand he would shake at a state reception is steeped in sheer putrefaction from the sump of robbery, perhaps every third elbow deep in the blood of perceived political threats - across all levels of contestation."
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by Fhemmmy: 6:57pm On Jul 15, 2009
Now this is what i call leadership.
Soyinka is the man, all the respect i have for him has just increased.
How can Obama visit a Nation that is so corrupt, messed up, lawless, care less about development, and practices demon-crazy?

“No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, ” that is the word of a true leader in his address to parliament when he visited Ghana.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by vigasimple(m): 7:11pm On Jul 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Now this is what i call leadership.
Soyinka is the man, all the respect i have for him has just increased.
How can Obama visit a Nation that is so corrupt, messed up, lawless, care less about development, and practices demon-crazy?

“No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, ” that is the word of a true leader in his address to parliament when he visited Ghana.

demon-crazy. demonstration of craziness etc  grin grin grin
that is what our 'leaders' practice and they don't give a toss whatever anyone says. Infact AKINYULI was celebrating her daughter's wedding on the day of OBAMA's visit to Ghana to do a news 'blanket' of the visit. 

Thank God for other media outlet.

We all miss FELA ANIKULAPO KUTI may his soul rest in peace. he saw it and sang about it.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 7:39pm On Jul 15, 2009
Wole Soyinka has never been a disappointment since I grew up to know him. The most upright Nigerian I have ever known, the only person we can be proud of. I wish we can ever have a national leader like that. He speaks the truth and stands by it. I second his motion that, if he were to come and visit the insurgents from the Niger Delta, trade unions, the other political parties etc., Nigeria will have been his first spot to visit.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 9:19am On Jul 16, 2009
TheSeeker:

Wole Soyinka has never been a disappointment since I grew up to know him. The most upright Nigerian I have ever known, the only person we can be proud of. I wish we can ever have a national leader like that. He speaks the truth and stands by it. I second his motion that, if he were to come and visit the insurgents from the Niger Delta, trade unions, the other political parties etc., Nigeria will have been his first spot to visit.

True word. The guy is the most respected Nigerian to me.The only problem I have with him though is his position on cultism in our higher institutions.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by russellino: 10:51am On Jul 16, 2009
Falana no get gist. Talking about reparation and all that is old school. Ghana has woken up and positioned themselves and they are now reaping goodwill as a serious country. Nuff said
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by walakolobo: 10:55am On Jul 16, 2009
if all Nigerians are made to go and spend only one month in Ghana, and all Ghanians made to spend one month in Nigeria, Ghana will be an empty shell by the time Nigerians return to their country - silly folks all over the place. Who is Falana?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 11:01am On Jul 16, 2009
walakolobo:

Who is Falana?

Henry Okah's lawyer.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by walakolobo: 11:33am On Jul 16, 2009
kokoA:

Henry Okah's lawyer.

of course i know him.
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by kokoA(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2009
walakolobo:

of course i know him.

Do you also know that he is a common noise maker when he is jobless?
Re: Falana Slams Obama Over Speech In Ghana. by TheSeeker(m): 7:22pm On Jul 16, 2009
kokoA:

True word. The guy is the most respected Nigerian to me.The only problem I have with him though is his position on cultism in our higher institutions.
If cultism is legalized in Nigerian higher institutions of learning, there will be lesser killings and people can easily be identified if any crime comes up. Seriously, it works everywhere else. It's because of its secrecy that makes them have grudges against one another hence, the killings.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion injures three in Jos, Plateau State / Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts / Wike's Victory- A Harbinger Of Doom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.