Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo (19591 Views)

This Devaluation ‘be Like’ 419!: Henry Boyo / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by 989900: 5:32pm On Feb 29, 2016
jayloms:

I have read quite a number of Boyo's write up and in each of them he never fails to mention that the naira equivalent of our dollar earnings is printed to fund the federation's account.

Now Sir, are you absolutely sure the Cbn doesn't print the naira equivalent to fund the fed's acct cause I'm wondering why he(Boyo) would make such a grave mistake which is pivotal to his suggestion.

I'm interested in your views cause the last thing I want, is to be backing a suggestion based on a faulty premise.

Many thanks as you illuminate my understanding.

Not printed; substituted (if the gov't has the equivalent they provide it's equivalent to the various entities). Crude is just a fraction of gov't's earnings, the gov't earns money locally too.
I explained it on another thread I'd look for it once I return.
It doesn't mean they don't print though when needed.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by jayloms: 5:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
989900:

Not printed; substituted (if the gov't has the equivalent they provide it's equivalent to the various entities).
I explained it on another thread I'd look for it once I return.
It doesn't mean they don't print though when needed.

Please do Sir. I'll be looking forward to your mention on this. Many thanks for clearing that up.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by seunmsg(m): 5:39pm On Feb 29, 2016
Activa:

The cbn does not print naira for the states. I've explained that above. Boyo didn't get that right at all.

Saying that cbn should give dollar certificates to states is akin to telling cbn to issue dollar certificates to other exporters

One thing that Boyo is saying though, albeit in a complex manner, is that the determination of the exchange rate should be more flexible.

Exporters have the choice to receive their earnings either in dollars or in Naira I want to believe. If that's the case, why should CBN be the sole decider of how federal, state and local governments receive their revenue?

Why can't we try Boyo's idea of dollar certificate? To me, I think his idea is worth trying. It can even help curb corruption to a certain extent. We will have a situation where dollars will be chasing the naira and CBN will settle any dollar requirement of state government on their behalf.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by sam90s(m): 5:47pm On Feb 29, 2016
jayloms:

I have read quite a number of Boyo's write up and in each of them he never fails to mention that the naira equivalent of our dollar earnings is printed to fund the federation's account.

Now Sir, are you absolutely sure the Cbn doesn't print the naira equivalent to fund the fed's acct cause I'm wondering why he(Boyo) would make such a grave mistake which is pivotal to his suggestion.

I'm interested in your views cause the last thing I want, is to be backing a suggestion based on a faulty premise.

Interesting.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by 989900: 5:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
jayloms:

Please do Sir. I'll be looking forward to your mention on this. Many thanks for clearing that up.

Dollar certificates in-lieu of cash (currency which was done in the said 2008 example) is to check racketeering.

So, if states need to get anything with forex, they tender their dollar certs or vouchers (in appropriate value from their normal monthly allocation) to the CBN for processing.
Meanwhile, thru all this, no Naira is substituted for dollar causing excess liquidity, which the CBN later has to mop up by borrowing money it does not need at high interest rates from the banks.

It reduces states, MDAs, or any arm of government having billions or millions of Naira to be looking for dollars.

It eliminates a lot of fraud, racketeering, profiteering, and sharp practices between the FG, States, CBN, and Banks -- so they don't like the idea!!!

So we pay for it! And they want us to believe we solely and the fall in oil prices are the forex' problem -- not the imported fuel, not their criminal policies.

Importers cannot get the dollar certs, only goverment.

However, the Naira, importers, and everyone wins, because the Naira will appreciate -- less pressure/demand from monthly chase of dollars by government establishments!

The uncontrolled or unregulated demand for dollars by gov't arms which contributes to scarcity of dollars, thereby, driving prices high, would have been better controlled by the said dollar certs or vouchers. It helps the CBN's reserves too sorta.
In some other sense (though minute), you could liken it to every salary account holder with commercial banks, withdrawing all their salary at once -- but we have cheque books, and withdraw in batches.

Kindly go thru the links below there's a lot more . . .kinda busy . . . BRB.

https://www.nairaland.com/2944595/what-exactly-go-wrong-cbn/1

https://www.nairaland.com/844884/solution-fuel-subsidy-wahala-look

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/much-talk-dollar-certificates/
http://thenationonlineng.net/counting-cost-of-treasury-single-account/

1 Like

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 29, 2016
seunmsg:

Exporters have the choice to receive their earnings either in dollars or in Naira I want to believe. If that's the case, why should CBN be the sole decider of how federal, state and local governments receive their revenue?

Why can't we try Boyo's idea of dollar certificate? To me, I think his idea is worth trying. It can even help curb corruption to a certain extent. We will have a situation where dollars will be chasing the naira and CBN will settle any dollar requirement of state government on their behalf.

1. Exporters today either use their usd for eligible imports or receive the naira equivalent at the official rate.

2. States don't need dollar certificates. They can open dom accts and be treated like exporters.

3. But you see, states hardly spend in usd. Their expenditure is largely in naira.

4. The main gist of Boyo's idea, as I explained earlier, is exchange rate flexibility or, if you want, a depreciation of the naira.

5. The current system whereby cbn is in charge of all usd receipts is what is preventing the scenario in 4 above.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by tunene66: 6:01pm On Feb 29, 2016
seunmsg:
SOME officials of the International Monetary Fund recently consulted with relevant government agencies to assess the economic impact of the crash in oil revenue and the planned responses for addressing the ‘’near-term vulnerabilities’’ and those fundamental reforms required to sustain inclusive economic growth and reduce poverty.

The team’s recommendations reflect the self-evident need for reforms, which would improve fiscal discipline and reduce imbalance between our export and import values. Also, the report of February 24 re-echoed the need to broaden the tax base and implement measures to boost the ratio of non oil revenue to Gross Domestic Product.

The IMF advised that sustained private sector-driven growth requires a competitive economy, which can evolve with an exchange rate policy that is allowed “to reflect market forces”. It recommended that ‘’restrictions on access to foreign exchange” should be removed.

Although the IMF acknowledges that the Central Bank of Nigeria “lately eased monetary conditions”, the team, however, observes that there is still a ‘’need to ensure a strong and resilient financial sector that can support private sector investment across production segments (including SMEs) at reasonable funding cost’’, these recommendations simply repeat the same old self-evident prescriptions without defining the appropriate supportive medium that would guarantee a cure. For example, if you have not identified the antidote to the poison of systemic surplus naira, how can you restrain inflation and bring down the cost of funds from a clearly prohibitive 20 per cent plus to ‘’more reasonable’’ and supportive 4 -7 per cent interest rate levels that would facilitate industrial consolidation and rapid job creation.

Surprisingly, the IMF report inexplicably shifts attention from the albatross of ‘liquidity surplus’ that undeniably fuels inflation well beyond best practice models below two per cent. Or is there an unwritten law that countries like Nigeria must not also enjoy minimal inflation and truly catalytic low interest rates below six per cent to facilitate inclusive economic growth? Surely, it is not so difficult to understand that all static income earners, particularly, pensioners and other lowly paid workers will expectedly lose 50 per cent of the purchasing value of their income every five years, if inflation continuously trends closer to double digit rate.

Indeed, if the IMF team sincerely expects sustainable inclusive growth for Nigeria, there is no way they would have failed to examine the persistent cause of the systemic surplus naira, which forces the CBN to regularly commit to reckless. Some would say fraudulent, financial mismanagement to fight inflation when it compulsively sets out to restrain borrowing and consumer demand by marginally reducing the persistent irrepressible liquidity challenge, with unreasonably high interest paid on funds which CBN borrows and simply stores as sterile and idle deposits.

Not surprisingly, the banks earn over N500 billion annually from this scam!

Similarly, it is the same threat of inflation that instigates the CBN’s self-flagellating double digit Monetary Policy Rates in place of more supportive rates below two per cent adopted by Monetary Authorities in disciplined and more successful economies.

Instructively, however, if IMF’s recommendation for the ‘’removal of restrictions on access to foreign exchange’’ was adopted, the naira exchange would have since plummeted below N1000 per one dollar with serious economic and social consequences. In such event, the World Bank would step up to advance Nigeria,a dollar denominated loan, with shylock terms, to defend the naira. Regrettably, the Nigerian economy would ultimately unravel and the naira rate will unfortunately track the Ghana cedi, which eventually exchanged for over 10,000 cedi to one dollar with no respite in sight.

Nevertheless, the IMF’s recommendation that the exchange rate should be allowed ‘to reflect market forces’ may seem credible and progressive. The reality, however, is that the naira rate will continue to have absolutely no chance against the dollar if the money market remains deliberately skewed, as it is, with persistently surplus naira liquidity against rationed dollar auctions. The CBN’s monopolistic dollar auctions to banks is certainly not commercial best practice and unfortunately, deliberately provides wide latitude for forex market malpractices in banks.

It is inconceivable that the counterproductive impact of the CBN’s stranglehold on forex supply escaped the notice of the IMF team, despite their advocated faith in competitive market forces for economic growth. Clearly, if the CBN retains its distortional monopoly of dollar supply, serial naira devaluation will, as usual, become inevitable, and ultimately not even a steady rise in crude prices will save us. After all, the naira rate inexplicably remained between ‘weak and static’ even when reserves bountifully approached $60 billion when the oil market was fortuitously very buoyant for several years.

Devaluation does not hold any promise for Nigeria other than the obviously misguided and unrealistic expectation that matching official with parallel market exchange rates will attract foreign investors or ensure competitiveness of the Nigerian economy. Conversely, naira devaluation from 0-50kobo before 1979 to the present N310 to one dollar did not attract much more than about $20 billion in foreign investments, that is a paltry annual average of $540 million. Worse still, foreign investors were ‘smart’ enough to invest primarily in economically and minimally impactful but high-yielding Nigerian government’s bills and bonds!

The unusually wide gap between the official and parallel naira rates may have intuitively engendered the observation that Nigeria’s economy will only become competitive if the naira is devalued and brought closer to the street market rate. Instructively, however, despite series of naira devaluation, Nigeria’s economy remains neither diversified nor internationally competitive. Maybe, as suggested, a further devaluation to N300 per one dollar may just change our fortunes. But, such an expectation must be predicated on the parallel market rate remaining stable. Consequently, if the root cause of the deliberate market imbalance against the naira is not squarely addressed, while the street market rate continues to climb, the call for further devaluation beyond N300 to one dollar will again become clarion from misguided and self-serving experts.

Fortunately, President Buhari is not fooled by the false promises canvassed by advocates of devaluation. The President is sharply aware that the intensity of deepening poverty in Nigeria correlates with the naira’s steady depreciation, even with bountiful reserves.

Buhari certainly recognises that devaluation instigated and has sustained our economy’s debilitating brain drain and the mass migration of our youths to greener pastures.

Besides, another major devaluation will only precipitate Labour’s agitation for wage increases, while pension incomes will invariably gradually become valueless. Furthermore, the inflationary spiral instigated by a major devaluation will further reduce consumer demand and adversely affect investment decisions, with collateral damage for job creation; increased raw material costs and high cost of funds will similarly make imports cheaper than Nigerian products.

Additionally, Nigerian holders (including government) of dollar denominated loans may require 50 per cent more naira to service and repay their debts, while the increased cost of critical plant and equipment will adversely challenge the implementation of the capital budget and may further deepen the projected over 30 percent 2016 budget deficit. Invariably, the operations of critical subsectors such as power, aviation, oil and gas will also be severely challenged if the Naira suffers further devaluation.

If the dollar sells officially for N300 to one dollar and above, fuel price will spiral beyond N130 per litre and make deregulation and the saving of over N1trillion annual fuel subsidy impossible. Sadly, Nigeria’s celebrated Gross Domestic Product of $510 billion will invariably also shrink below $300 billion, while the current stock market capitalisation of about $42 billion will similarly recede below $25 billion and make the market vulnerable to an easy take over by foreign portfolio investors. In short, poverty will deepen nationwide.

In the above circumstances, Buhari must be encouraged to resist further devaluation and save the naira by finding an antidote to the poison of Excess Liquidity.

http://www.punchng.com/devaluation-imf-versus-buhari/

I sincerely appreciate the article, I believe we are between two 'evils' - devaluation or status quo. To me, there is no one way solution to this matter. We should recognise that we have a low manufacturing/industrial base, we are a highly import dependent country (even depending on imported PMS) and finally the price of our main foreign exchange earner is not subject to our control with short/medium term projections indicating a price of between US$30 to 35 per barrel (making a 15% short of our 2016 oil receipt estimate assuming production/exportation targets are attained.)
so the way forward
1. Govt should drastically reduce its high spending (Leadership is by example)
2. Appropriate fiscal policies need to be put in place, with milestone goals to reduce our reliance on rice sugar and wheat imports (within the next one year)
3. diversification of electric power supply source from oil and gas
4. Part privatisation of NNPC n outright sale of our refineries subject to a transparent and open bidding together process
5. Infrastructural development together with a massive agricultural programme
The proposed summit on the economy should be open to all and closed to none
Ultimately we will weather the storm

GOD bless Nigeria
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
jayloms:

The cbn doesn't NEED to print dollars to give to states and the FG. There's enough naira to do this.

The banks (from their importing customers) provide the naira with which the cbn credits the federation account owners.

Boyo bungled this.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 29, 2016
989900:

Meanwhile, thru all this, no Naira is substituted for dollar causing excess liquidity, which the CBN later has to mop up by borrowing money it does not need at high interest rates from the banks.

Please explain how this happens step by step.

How can there be excess liquidity when what the cbn is doing is to simply use the naira from importers to credit the states?
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by dboss444: 6:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
Let me mention those that were in support of devaluation
Soludo
Oby ezekwesili
Sanusi lamido sanusi

So many nairalanders even called the cbn governor an enemy of the country sabotaging buhari administration. I thank God you pple have received sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 29, 2016
989900:

However, the Naira, importers, and everyone wins, because the Naira will appreciate -- less pressure/demand from monthly chase of dollars by government establishments!

How exactly will it lead to naira's appreciation?

It's a zero sum game. The dollar that states would have access to is what importers would no longer have access to.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by ofwest: 6:48pm On Feb 29, 2016
Any attempt to devalue the naira to say #300 to the dollar will jump up saabo market value to like 500-600 to a dollar so PMB should resist any attempt by the emf to turn our naira to toilet roll
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by 989900: 6:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
Activa:

How exactly will it lead to naira's appreciation?

It's a zero sum game. The dollar that states would have access to is what importers would no longer have access to.

Kindly read again pls. And it does not have anything to do with importers.

And go thru the links too.
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by 989900: 7:07pm On Feb 29, 2016
Activa:

Please explain how this happens step by step.

How can there be excess liquidity when what the cbn is doing is to simply use the naira from importers to credit the states?

The CBN makes Naira too from other sources (internally); crude oil is roughly 50 -70% of government revenues depending on exchange rate, price of crude and e.t.c.

BTW, too much either ignorant or diversionary emphasis is placed on general import commodity as the bane of the Naira.
Refined petroleum products single-handedly accounts for roughly 40% of our forex demands! Another 30%-40% for other intangibles and technical (whatever that means), and roughly 20% for tangibles ordered by the masses, and government.

We need to stop importing refined pet products ASAP!

https://www.nairaland.com/844884/solution-fuel-subsidy-wahala-look

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/much-talk-dollar-certificates/
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by 989900: 7:47pm On Feb 29, 2016
Activa:

1. Exporters today either use their usd for eligible imports or receive the naira equivalent at the official rate.

2. States don't need dollar certificates. They can open dom accts and be treated like exporters.

3. But you see, states hardly spend in usd. Their expenditure is largely in naira.

4. The main gist of Boyo's idea, as I explained earlier, is exchange rate flexibility or, if you want, a depreciation of the naira.

5. The current system whereby cbn is in charge of all usd receipts is what is preventing the scenario in 4 above.

Gov't DO NEED Forex -- each arm of gov't does a lot of importation, foreign debt servicing, training, travel, sponsorships, scholarships; now multiply that by 36 states by 774 local governments, and MDA's.

Open dorm accounts? No, it doesn't work that way: some of the dollars we'r talking about here are virtual, and it helps the economy better if those funds are part of the reserve (to be accessed when needed appropriately), in-lieu of sitting in some commercial bank (which is actually kinda hard to do with the present CBN rules). The dollar cert. helps with accountability and checkmating malfeasance too.

1 Like

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by bbjummy: 9:38pm On Feb 29, 2016
I SAY NO TO DEVALUATION OF THE NAIRA TOO!
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by mank1234(m): 10:31pm On Feb 29, 2016
Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by mbhs139(m): 11:09pm On Feb 29, 2016
bellyjean:

You just asked the most sensible question... honestly, this should be what our Govt/CBN in all capacity should do. These commercial banks are very lazy, since our mumu government (most especially previous ones from IBB to GEJ) gave them an easy way of making fat profits. Government sold bonds and T-bills to these lazy Commercial/financial/security/equity institutions. They would rather invest in Govt bonds than service the real economy by giving loans to local manufacturers/producers/Entrepreneur; because of the great interest rates and low risks associated with them

So invariably, our commercial banks are just banks for the government and the lazy rich who just want their monies to keep increasing with little or no efforts

If these Commercial banks are made to do the real work they are supposed to do, the real sector will get the boost it needs because apart from providing capitals (loans etc) they will also offer pro-bono services such as risk assessment and management etc. This would increase the chances of business survival. At the end, their loan is repaid, and the business is sustainable and waxes stronger

Now is the time for real work.
God bless Nigeria.

If you look at the bold parts of your comment very well, you will the sense I'm trying to make out of it, that if the non-interest banking had been encouraged, they would've taken care of all the points you raised there. Because in the non-interest banking model, there's month room for laziness, no moral harzard, and banks are supposed to be out there helping the real sector in an arrangement called mudarobah - risk and profit sharing.

1 Like

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by grandstar(m): 12:23am On Mar 01, 2016
Bevista:
I disagree with giving state governors dollars. Most of the dollars will be looted and wired out with no value to the Nigerian economy. Also, that will leave very little dollars left in the Federation Account, with a lot of negative consequences too many to discuss here.
---
However, he's spot on as regards this writeup. First time I have to agree with his analysis.
dollar certs and not actual dollars

1 Like

Re: Devaluation: IMF Versus Buhari - Henry Boyo by Almajiri1: 8:50pm On May 13, 2016
Bump and grind....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FCTA Bans POS Operators From Residential Areas / Naira Appreciates By 13.51% To N895.23/$1 / Debt: FG May Cut Power Supply To Benin, Niger And Togo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.