Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,944 members, 7,863,342 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:52 PM

Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges (14761 Views)

Appeal Court In Enugu Dismisses Innoson’s Preliminary Objections Against Gtbank / Innoson Withdraws Ex Parte Case Against Gtbank, EFCC / Court Sets Date For Aderinokun’s Daughter’s Suit Against Gtbank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Segun889: 6:23pm On Feb 29, 2016
Am in for this
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mavinc4u(f): 7:28pm On Feb 29, 2016
It looks like gtbank has started sending out mails regarding the issue.
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by toluxa1(m): 7:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
mavinc4u:
It looks like gtbank has started sending out mails regarding the issue.

You got a mail?
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by toluxa1(m): 7:38pm On Feb 29, 2016
We should tweet at them with the hash tag #GtbankScam and also post on their Facebook page. Trust me, that's the best way to get their attention.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mavinc4u(f): 8:06pm On Feb 29, 2016
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Bookiemart01(f): 8:47pm On Feb 29, 2016
I am in.
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
I was debited ₦1990 for 10usd on friday. This evening they refunded the ₦1990 and debited ₦2990. What a shame?!!!
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by softtouch2(m): 9:41pm On Feb 29, 2016
Let take #GTBankScam to twitter and always cc @Gtbank in all the tweets.
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by nahinbdis: 9:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
If you guys are serious about taking this issue up with GTB, then time is of the essence... but first you must organise. I know someone that would be interested in giving you guys free legal services. PM me if interested.
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by einsteine(m): 10:33pm On Feb 29, 2016
Jokers, all of you. One has to be a fool and/or a thief to believe a bank would sell AUTONOMOUS dollars at a price BELOW interbank rates. As if that's not enough, you all went ahead to make bigger than usual purchases because you wanted to take advantage of an error on the part of the bank.

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Phony200(m): 11:01pm On Feb 29, 2016
einsteine:
Jokers, all of you. One has to be a fool and/or a thief to believe a bank would sell AUTONOMOUS dollars at a price BELOW interbank rates. As if that's not enough, you all went ahead to make bigger than usual purchases because you wanted to take advantage of an error on the part of the bank.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

mavinc4u:

If people listen to someone like you then nothing would have been possible in this life.

Question: If over the weekend, GTB has issues with the ATM system and withdrawals were not reflecting on your balance, so you mean people like you would go ahead and keep withdrawing your daily limits on all your cards and in your right mind conclude that since the bank made an error, your christmas has come early? You know what is right, you know the rate GT charges for card transactions. Why does it shock you to be charged the correct amount The hilarity is just too much.

2 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mavinc4u(f): 11:12pm On Feb 29, 2016
Phony200:

Question: If over the weekend, GTB has issues with the ATM system and withdrawals were not reflecting on your balance, so you mean people like you would go ahead and keep withdrawing your daily limits on all your cards and in your right mind conclude that since the bank made an error, your christmas has come early? You know what is right, you know the rate GT charges for card transactions. Why does it shock you to be charged the correct amount The hilarity is just too much.

Your comparison does not make sense. If a bank should have such an issue and did not disconnect their cards as a maintenance issue then it means their customer's money is not safe with them.

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Phony200(m): 11:12pm On Feb 29, 2016
Y'all claimed to be misled. Did GT send you an email and advertise to you that they were running a dollar promo? 50% off all Intl purchases? You saw an opportunity and you used it! Why are you all crying wolf? I'd like one person to take 2 minutes to read the TERMS AND CONDITIONS of GTB per transactions on your account. There is absolutely no basis for a lawsuit, even a simple customer service complaint. Did GTB steal your money? No! Na una dey go bank wey teller miscount money give una dey give testimony say God don bless you. No! It is not a blessing, it was an anomaly which the bank moved to correct once it was noticed. I've seen COT charges that were 3 years old recovered on accounts. Did a customer step up to say, Oh GTB, please you have not charged your COT for last month? Oh GTB, something is wrong with your system, I noticed rates are lower than usual. In case you don't know, same thing applies to wrong postings on your account. If money is wrongly paid to your account, go ahead and withdraw it and spend it all and see if you won't be sued for fraud.

By all means, please keep signing and screaming GT scam and see what comes out of it. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Phony200(m): 11:16pm On Feb 29, 2016
mavinc4u:

Your comparison does not make sense. If a bank should have such an issue and did not disconnect their cards as a maintenance issue then it means their customer's money is not safe with them.

The funds you were debited initially came from your account. Are you telling me that if your card was not restricted to a daily/monthly limit, you would have gone on to spend $10,000 just because the rate was showing ₦199? The ATM withdrawal comparison is the same. If you have ₦5,000 in your account and go ahead to withdraw ₦5000 and you notice your balance is still ₦5,000, then you try another 5k and it goes, then 20k and it goes through again, will you complain when you find your account in -₦30,000 when the error is rectified?

Say you go to your neighbourhood grocery store and got charged lower than your purchase amount on Monday, and then you go back on tuesday and try to check out and you notice you were debited the total of Tuesday's shopping and the difference from the computer error on Monday, would you think you have grounds for a fraud argument because according to you, since they had a maintenance issue, they have to bear the loss and you have to bear the "miraculous provision offering"? No Ma'am, I disagree.

The analogy is sound. Denial is futile.

3 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mployer(m): 11:25pm On Feb 29, 2016
Phony200:

Bro, don't mind them. I told them but they didn't listen.

It surprises me how people pretend They don't know the truth all in a bid to cash in on somebody's mistake. As we talk now someone's job is on the line for all these accounts that entered debit, yet our greed won't let us think that way. We want to get by all means money that wasn't ours in the first place.

That somebody mistakenly left his door open is no reason to rush and steal from the person. Worse still planning to sue the person because you got caught.

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mavinc4u(f): 12:47am On Mar 01, 2016
mployer:

Bro, don't mind them. I told them but they didn't listen.

It surprises me how people pretend They don't know the truth all in a bid to cash in on somebody's mistake. As we talk now someone's job is on the line for all these accounts that entered debit, yet our greed won't let us think that way. We want to get by all means money that wasn't ours in the first place.

That somebody mistakenly left his door open is no reason to rush and steal from the person. Worse still planning to sue the person because you got caught.

It surprises me that someone like you would type such gibberish. Where you sleeping when people called gtbank customer care to confirm the rate and they confirmed it to them. Why would you confirm A only for you to do B.
Your point is baseless because customers have access to their card and can decide when or when not to make payment. Relate gtbank issue with what happened at the black market last week. You need to think wisely.

4 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Emmyk(m): 3:16am On Mar 01, 2016
And I was feeling depressed on Saturday, when I couldn't use my Gtbank MasterCard but used Skyebank @334 naira, only to come online and saw Gtbank was 199... cheesy cheesy

There is this Yoruba saying,... Eni nwa ifa, o nwa ofo. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by papy4real: 5:09am On Mar 01, 2016
Phony200:

The funds you were debited initially came from your account. Are you telling me that if your card was not restricted to a daily/monthly limit, you would have gone on to spend $10,000 just because the rate was showing ₦199? The ATM withdrawal comparison is the same. If you have ₦5,000 in your account and go ahead to withdraw ₦5000 and you notice your balance is still ₦5,000, then you try another 5k and it goes, then 20k and it goes through again, will you complain when you find your account in -₦30,000 when the error is rectified?

Say you go to your neighbourhood grocery store and got charged lower than your purchase amount on Monday, and then you go back on tuesday and try to check out and you notice you were debited the total of Tuesday's shopping and the difference from the computer error on Monday, would you think you have grounds for a fraud argument because according to you, since they had a maintenance issue, they have to bear the loss and you have to bear the "miraculous provision offering"? No Ma'am, I disagree.

@Phony200. Read your posts and i think you work for GTB with the way you're defending them. This whole issue is common sense trust me and this clearly shows part of the reason why Nigeria cannot progress because we are our own problems.

I know of an ecommerce site that had technical issues that allowed customers pay zero shipping fee online at checkout over a period of 3 days...this company and the team that made the mistake had to bear the cost because it was no fault of the customers. This is a clear example of taking RESPONSIBILITY of your mistakes.

When you're a business dealing with active customers who makes use of your service(s) 24/7, you just have to be careful, pay full attention to detail and create no room for mistakes because it can cost you losses which is exactly what happened to GTB over the weekend. Why didn't they block cards instantly when they discovered the error??

And guess what? They decided to take it all on their customers because they simply feel they can do as they like without being questioned which i'm sure they can't do in the UK or any other sensible Western country.

You talked about customer shopping when they knew the normal FX rate. The questions are:

1. ARE FX rates the same across all banks?
Ans: NO

2. DO GTB send daily mails informing customers of their FX rates?

3. Did they send a mail when the anomaly was discovered informing customers to shop at their own risk?

4. Did CBN give banks the liberty to set their own rates and can banks set their FX at any price(199-less than black market price)
Ans: YES

5. Could the weekend rate have been a deliberate attempt to attract more card user, make them spend more than usual and then charge them the usual GTB rate afterwards knowing fully well that customers would just rant and keep shut later?

Banks simply set the rate as they want which varies daily. Therefore, don't blame customers that shopped or withdrew money within that period cos it is non of the customers business.

N.B: I don't even have a GTB account but the truth just needs to be told. Its high time Nigerians show this guys that they can't keep treating us like illiterates.

BE ELIGHTENED

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by wallex1983(m): 5:33am On Mar 01, 2016
I was a victim
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Chibenze(m): 5:48am On Mar 01, 2016
signing in.
Gtbank scam me
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by mployer(m): 6:04am On Mar 01, 2016
mavinc4u:

It surprises me that someone like you would type such gibberish. Where you sleeping when people called gtbank customer care to confirm the rate and they confirmed it to them. Why would you confirm A only for you to do B.
Your point is baseless because customers have access to their card and can decide when or when not to make payment. Relate gtbank issue with what happened at the black market last week. You need to think wisely.

Well, I sympathize with you guys because most of you probably bought things you didn't really need that much, all because of the low rate. But I like being realistic, I stay with what works, not what I FEEL should work.

Saying you called GT customer care can't take you anywhere since GT didn't send you any mail with regard to the new rate you are talking about. If you are close to bankers you will understand that financial transactions are not authorized by oral instruction. You can tell your subordinate to do a transaction and he will decline requesting a mail to that effect. So, if you have a recent mail from GT stating the new rate, we can start from there.

Again, if the rate is 299, there is no rule that says you must be debited 299 at once. They can choose to debit you 199 first then 100 later. You only have a case against convenience of the system not legality of the system.

Lets not get too emotional about this and start throwing insults. I am just trying to make Ben Bruce #commonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Infinitikoncept(m): 6:34am On Mar 01, 2016
mployer:

Well, I sympathize with you guys because most of you probably bought things you didn't really need that much, all because of the low rate. But I like being realistic, I stay with what works, not what I FEEL should work.

Saying you called GT customer care can't take you anywhere since GT didn't send you any mail with regard to the new rate you are talking about. If you are close to bankers you will understand that financial transactions are not authorized by oral instruction. You can tell your subordinate to do a transaction and he will decline requesting a mail to that effect. So, if you have a recent mail from GT stating the new rate, we can start from there.

Again, if the rate is 299, there is no rule that says you must be debited 299 at once. They can choose to debit you 199 first then 100 later. You only have a case against inconvenience of the system not legality of the system.

Lets not get too emotional about this and start throwing insults. I am just trying to make Ben Bruce #commonsense.
Mr wale abeg swerve comot this lane. Were you invited to join the petition? No
Were you affected? No
Are you GTBank legal adviser? Maybe
Are you the monitoring spirit of bank rates? Maybe
Since you ain't an aggrieved customer what is your business telling them they don't have a case?
If its impossible in your world because you have been so bullied by Nigerian system of doing things to the point you don't see any way forward on an anomaly charge by a bank with your monitoring claims of StanbicIBTC is the cheapest so if GTBank decides to come below them from your dictionary it isn't the real amount yet we have banks who have been below the StanbicIBTC you carry for head of treasury
Check papy4real post and get common sense you are checking encyclopedia for.

5 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by gowaga68: 6:39am On Mar 01, 2016
Jethrolite:
Please believe me, even frontpage won't get much done. I have been through all of this before. It will only result in more frustration but if you say it's not about money and you have money to blow then sue Gtbank hq. Before suing, write a letter seeking redress, it will cost between N20-100k to have a lawyer do that for you depending on the lawyer. If the bank does not respond, another letter is sent. If no response then you ask your lawyer to file a suit. All these things I just mentioned will set you back at least N50k.
We will reach the bottom of the sea.
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Infinitikoncept(m): 6:39am On Mar 01, 2016
papy4real:

@Phony200. Read your posts and i think you work for GTB with the way you're defending them. This whole issue is common sense trust me and this clearly shows part of the reason why Nigeria cannot progress because we are our own problems.

I know of an ecommerce site that had technical issues that allowed customers pay zero shipping fee online at checkout over a period of 3 days...this company and the team that made the mistake had to bear the cost because it was no fault of the customers. This is a clear example of taking RESPONSIBILITY of your mistakes.

When you're a business dealing with active customers who makes use of your service(s) 24/7, you just have to be careful, pay full attention to detail and create no room for mistakes because it can cost you losses which is exactly what happened to GTB over the weekend. Why didn't they block cards instantly when they discovered the error??

And guess what? They decided to take it all on their customers because they simply feel they can do as they like without being questioned which i'm sure they can't do in the UK or any other sensible Western country.

You talked about customer shopping when they knew the normal FX rate. The questions are:

1. ARE FX rates the same across all banks?

2. DO GTB send daily mails informing customers of their FX rates?

3. Did they send a mail when the anomaly was discovered informing customers to shop at their own risk?

4. Did CBN give banks the liberty to set their own rates and can banks set their FX at any price(199-less than black market price)

5. Could the weekend rate have been a deliberate attempt to attract more card user, make them spend more than usual and then charge them the usual GTB rate afterwards knowing fully well that customers would just rant and keep shut later?

Banks simply set the rate as they want which varies daily. Therefore, don't blame customers that shopped or withdrew money within that period cos it is non of the customers business.

N.B: I don't even have a GTB account but the truth just needs to be told. Its high time Nigerians show this guys that they can't keep treating us like illiterates.

BE ELIGHTENED
I can bet you the guy you quoted with that explanation can't comprehend all you wrote there for him to learn from.
People like them have suffered and smiled most times forming defense mechanism rather than counter attack.
They have come to accept fate but cry out we need a better Nigeria yet they close their eyes to anomaly like this.
GTBank system was on error as he claimed yet it didn't bounce back the transactions ooooo.
Two people had to call the CC out of curiosity yet one person who has IMPOSSIBILITY over him is spewing ........

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by papy4real: 6:46am On Mar 01, 2016
mployer:

Again, if the rate is 299, there is no rule that says you must be debited 299 at once. They can choose to debit you 199 first then 100 later. You only have a case against inconvenience of the system not legality of the system.

The statement you made in bolded isn't common sense bro. FYI, no bank mails their customers of their new rates...this rates change everyday at their discretion and customer aren't aware or notified till a transaction is carried out. Gtb rate for today may not even be 299(probably higher or less) and daily mails are NOT sent to this effect.

I can see then faulty nigerian system has eaten so deep into you because saying a bank can choose to debit N199 and N100 for the same transaction is totally wrong which is due to our Non-strict regulated Nigerian banking practice and definitely not the standard banking practice...a debit is carried out ONCE per transaction apart from other minor charges(if they apply).

Now i know why this banks feel so comfortable to deduct different unrelated monthly charges from customers account on a regular because people like you worship them so much and see it as normal.

3 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:02am On Mar 01, 2016
papy4real:

The statement you made in bolded isn't common sense bro. FYI, no bank mails their customers of their new rates...this rates change everyday at their discretion and customer aren't aware or notified till a transaction is carried out. Gtb rate for today may not even be 299(probably higher or less) and daily mails are NOT sent to this effect.

I can see then faulty nigerian system has eaten so deep into you because saying a bank can choose to debit N199 and N100 for the same transaction is totally wrong which is due to our Non-strict regulated Nigerian banking practice and definitely not the standard banking practice...a debit is carried out ONCE per transaction apart from other minor charges(if they apply).

Now i know why this banks feel so comfortable to deduct different unrelated monthly charges from customers account on a regular because people like you worship them so much and see it as normal.
Brox abeg leave that guy. U will end up beating a dead horse. People like them take USD to the bank and they refer you to their board which is below #199 and they sell cox that is the official rate. Same with most inbound ooo.
But when they charged the official selling rate displayed in their banking halls customers are thieves in their own dictionary.
Please we have tried with this complain so let's leave all this impossible mofos and take it to the next step. GTBank twitter and Facebook or where is our next step abeg

4 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Shakitibobo: 7:30am On Mar 01, 2016
Hi Guys, please let's stop all this. Really, can we get real for a moment!!! We can not all gang up and destroy our own indigenous companies under the guise of error in exchange rate. things are tough all over the world right now. companies are laying off to stay afloat and the few ones we have, we want to sue them to court and let me guess...... HUGE SUMS OF MANEY ABI? Banks are not Tech companies, they really on other companies to provide technical support and as bad as we hate to admit it, systems fail once in a while.

Due to a system error, they sold dollars at N199, if it were your own business, wont you recoup the loss. We all cant complain about Buhari badmouthing Nigeria where we also are doing the same thing. dragging the bank to twitter or facebook will only shortsell ourselves to the rest of the proud and convince them that we do not have a banking industry that is strong. if we do this, how will we now attract the foreign investment to grow the Naira. MTN, GLO, Airtel have all had several system failures and debited credit from our phones... My DSTV (PREMIUM) expired and I wasn't disconnected, the next time I paid, the instantly debited me and I understood. didn't go around creating a fuss over it. These things happen but doesn't give us the right to destroy our own... just my thoughts sha!!! lets build the economy and grow the Naira (we need these companies to achieve that)

GTB you guys ought to be a lot more careful by the way

God Bless

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by aye88: 7:34am On Mar 01, 2016
mployer:

Again, if the rate is 299, there is no rule that says you must be debited 299 at once. They can choose to debit you 199 first then 100 later. You only have a case against convenience of the system not legality of the system.

Well "saying you called gtbank customer care " can actually take them to a lot of places. A gtband customer representative is an ambassador and a representative of the bank and informations emanating from such is deemed to emanate from the bank. Informations emanating during his/her course of duty is tenable. A customer care representative ia an agent of the bank and under the strict liability rule in law, a master is liable to the actions of his agent and the actions committed by an agent within the cause of carring out his duties his deemed to have also been committed by the master and in this case gtbank. However it will have been better off tohave an email cos that will serve as a documentary evidence. However telephone recording can also be submitted as evidence but with all this new techonoly such as photoshopp, voice whatever, a good lawyer can argue that the voice recording was doctored. Still doesn't rule out the possibility of using it though. I will advise you guys to go on all social media platform and start apetition first, gather fellow victims and get a lawyer to write a letter first to gtbank. That is where u will start from b4 you then institute an action. When ds case becomes popular you might get lawyers willing to do it pro bono and maybe will just ask for filing fees only.

1 Like

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by Shakitibobo: 8:09am On Mar 01, 2016
To what end... I stand by my earlier adumbration.....don't destroy what our own... all this mess today is simply because we lost our oil money and failed to diversify our economy. Let's drag the institutions through mud and destroy them as well and what next...... I might be GTB today, but nothing stops it from happening to you tomorrow. Banks rely on other companies for Tech support, it is totally out of the control, you can do all you humanly can but some times sytems just fail and there is nothing you can do about it #SupporttheNairatoGrowtheEconomy

Today is no banking day!!!!! Yippee!!!!
Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by holuphisayor(m): 8:20am On Mar 01, 2016
Wow, this issue is being discussed on silverbird tv right now. grin

2 Likes

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by favoredgal: 8:34am On Mar 01, 2016
Phony200:

You are funny o!

Did the bank consult/ notify anyone before hey increased their rates from 220-300 as they have over the last three month.

Everyday is a different rate so why should their customers expect a notification that the rates have gone down

How can you compare a known/ solid rock account balance to a fluctuating forex conversion rate

Now read what you wrote again and see if it makes any sense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges by softtouch2(m): 8:58am On Mar 01, 2016
Phony200:

Are you aware people call GTbank CC to confirm this rate when all these happened?
And CC confirmed it to be the new rate for the day.

What if GTBank refund all your $ transaction today, and redebit your account @ 800 Naira to a $ shocked, what will you say? tongue... GTBank has all the right?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Starting A Barbing Saloon, Club & Restaurant / Ariaria Market Gets Power Generation, Distribution Licences / Fish Farming Is Profitable With Mobile Pond And Recirculating System (RAS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.