Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,196 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? (1407 Views)

Bibliophobia; The Moribund Art Of Reading / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:17am On Mar 01, 2016
Do you look up new words as you come across them in your reading or do you skip them and just discern the meaning from the greater context?   What's the latest word you've learned?
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:22am On Mar 01, 2016
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Adonis3: 2:24am On Mar 01, 2016
when reading

Once I come across a new word

"Most of the time" I immediately stop and look it up

#Adonis3HasSopken

1 Like

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 01, 2016
I look up words immediately. I just reach for my phone ad type it out.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Adonis3:
when reading

Once I come across a new word

"Most of the time" I immediately stop and look it up

#Adonis3HasSopken

Won't that distract you from concentrating on what you're reading?
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Adonis3: 2:37am On Mar 01, 2016
BobUg28:

Won't that distract you from concentrating on what you're reading?
at all

That's how I roll

#Adonis3HasSopken

1 Like

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:52am On Mar 01, 2016
dovelike:
I look up words immediately. I just reach for my phone ad type it out.

Nice one!

That's one of the things I finds very difficult to do when I'm reading.(particularly when I'm perusing an interesting novel or sth that has got me deeply captivated) It appears to be distracting my attention. It makes me not to stay focused that's why I prefers writing them down on piece of paper, then check it out after reading each chapter.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:55am On Mar 01, 2016
Adonis3:

at all

That's how I roll

#Adonis3HasSopken

Thts a good one.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Nobody: 4:42am On Mar 01, 2016
BobUg28:

Nice one!

That's one of the things I finds very difficult to do when I'm reading.(particularly when I'm perusing an interesting novel or sth that has got me deeply captivated) It appears to be distracting my attention. It makes me not to stay focused that's why I prefers writing them down on piece of paper, then check it out after reading each chapter.
Yes. It really helps in building our vocabulary. Who knows the day we will need them. Like plausible and revocable grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Gmajor(m): 5:05am On Mar 01, 2016
most times the context gives me an idea of what the word means so I usually don't. but when the word interests me or the context doesn't throw much light on the word, I check it up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Segadem(m): 5:21am On Mar 01, 2016
New words?
There is nothing like new words except the ones u have not come across with. grin grin grin

BTW, I do check them but a times it serves as distraction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by tpiar: 3:50pm On Mar 01, 2016
I skip them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Naledi14(f): 6:25pm On Mar 01, 2016
Gmajor:
most times the context gives me an idea of what the word means so I usually don't. but when the word interests me or the context doesn't throw much light on the word, I check it up.

Its the same with myself the context will give you a hint as to what the word means. Having to look up the word will distract me.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 2:49am On Mar 03, 2016
tpiar:
I skip them.

...But please, how did you got to build your vocabularies?..how did you get to know so much words like you do if actually you don't look up new words in the dictionary? I have long envisioned to write half as you do.

PS: Is English your predominant language??
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by MizMyColi(f): 8:18am On Mar 03, 2016
Good morning Bob

Yes, I do Bob.

I have come across anyone new/eye popping one lately.

I'm guessing that's because I'm reading a book I'd previously read at the mosmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 05, 2016
I look them up so bad, it gets distracting sometimes .
The latest word I've learnt is 'silvertail'. It means a wealthy person.
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 11:53pm On May 14, 2016
Gaborone:
I look them up so bad, it gets distracting sometimes . The latest word I've learnt is 'silvertail'. It means a wealthy person.

cool

OK. Thanks for your comment. I usually witness that same thing while reading. But I have learnt something differently. I don't stop checking for the meaning of them words until I finish reading the particular page. It's gets me distracted just like you said. Is after reading, then I comes back to the underlined words, check the meaning, re-read the sentence and try to understand why it was used in the sentence.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Nobody: 2:41am On May 15, 2016
I always read with a dictionary by my side. when I lookup the word immediately, it helps me I understand well.
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by BobUg28(m): 1:17am On May 16, 2016
krystalklear:
I always read with a dictionary by my side. when I lookup the word immediately, it helps me I understand well.

Don't you think it distracts a lot?
Re: Do You Look Up New Words You Dont Know Or Skip Them While Reading? by Nobody: 6:39am On May 16, 2016
BobUg28:

Don't you think it distracts a lot?
no it doesn't ,its already a habit.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Harry Potter Fan Club. / Hero / Story: Lord Of Buglars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.