Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? (13358 Views)

Any Good Programmer In The House,good CASH AWAITS You / Looking For A Web Developer Around Abuja Environs / Any Good Developer And Graphic Designer Ready To Form A Team For A Start Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 01, 2016
When people refer to gurus or geeks, they mostly are talking about guys that are into one form of technology or the other.

Things have changed abroad, code.org has been empowering young girls to pick up coding..they believe anybody can learn how to code.

UNILAG put up a GirlsWhoCode / GirlsCodeWeek program to enlighten our Nigerian girls. It was successful as some young girls turned up, this was few years back.

My check here, is to confirm if some of our ladies have taken up the art of programming or are still doing the make-up thing, decoration, event planning, e,t,c.
Most of the tech women I've seen are old women from the early/late 70's, don't we have young energetic female programmers as well.

I'm eager to meet that female geek, who can write a Shakespearian book in code or at least has that cool decision making ability and applies logical reasoning when coding.

(I have a crush on young female devs tho grin )
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Dekatron(m): 4:23pm On Mar 02, 2016
Geekybabe is one

She is a code eater!! @DanielTheGeek

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 02, 2016
Dekatron:
Geekybabe is one

She is a code eater!! @DanielTheGeek

Where is she? is she on NL?
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by geekybabe(f): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Where is she? is she on NL?
lol.. not a code eater entirely.. just some basic languages
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 02, 2016
geekybabe:

lol.. not a code eater entirely.. just some basic languages

cool, nice meeting you.

What's your stack tho?
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by geekybabe(f): 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

cool, nice meeting you.

What's your stack tho?

web basically.

python.. django.

some .net too.

but I know several females who actively code. they are with andela.. hotels.ng.. konga.. And some other cool startups in yaba.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Booyakasha(f): 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2016
Hello world; I'm a female psycho...

3 Likes

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 02, 2016
Booyakasha:
Hello world; I'm a female psycho...

Cool, what's your stack too?
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 02, 2016
geekybabe:

web basically.

python.. django.

some .net too.

but I know several females who actively code. they are with andela.. hotels.ng.. konga.. And some other cool startups in yaba.

Those at Andela are really good, any female programmer there must be hot cake..lol, seems Yaba is Nigeria's silicon valley tho.

Knowing you do Python (and Django) really makes me shiver, didn't know we had females like this, everyone just talks about the guys.

Keep doing what you do best.
Goodluck!
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Booyakasha(f): 11:19pm On Mar 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Cool, what's your stack too?
C++, Python, PHP and JS... hey give me your WhatsApp... i wanna ask you things...
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
Booyakasha:

C++, Python, PHP and JS... hey give me your WhatsApp... i wanna ask you things...

Send me a NL pm, i'd reply asap...i don't want to expose my number publicly,
i know some people will just hijack it, lol.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 05, 2016
geekybabe:

web basically.

python.. django.

some .net too.

moyinbaby

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by elfico(m): 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
Booyakasha:

C++? U are really cool.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 06, 2016
elfico:

C++? U are really cool.

As in, too cool.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by asalimpo(m): 3:34pm On Mar 06, 2016
ask her how many lines of codes she writes and you'll be suprised its tiny !
say 10 - 300 max.
It's the guys that come over to roll their sleeves and pump those ten thousand line monsters that go into production!

#coding is testosterone driven.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:
say 10 - 300 max.
It's the guys that come over to roll their sleeves and pump those ten thousand line monsters that go into production!

smiley wink This is funny...

However I can still stand for these girls anywhere in the world, the little lines of code could change a part of the world, they're always improving and they'll keep on improving. Other female geeks in developed part of the world are doing really awesome things, it's just up to we "geeks" to help the crawling ones here in our country.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by asalimpo(m): 4:41pm On Mar 06, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

smiley wink This is funny...

However I can still stand for these girls anywhere in the world, the little lines of code could change a part of the world, they're always improving and they'll keep on improving. Other female geeks in developed part of the world are doing really awesome things, it's just up to we "geeks" to help the crawling ones here in our country.

Yeah, I believe a woman could do all the things men have done.
But history shows all major achievements are by men.
In intellectual, and all fields. Men lead.
Women, should put their emotions in check to succeed. I know of few outstanding women in tech.
None are nigerians.
one was a reviewer on amazon - 50+ y.o. Anoda wrote a blog.
The 50+ y.o was a cubicle worker and really bloody. This chic/mama was terribly advanced.

The 9ja babes i know are junk. They like vb and cold-fusion!
I don't think it's an encouragement thing. It's an isolation thing.
They're badass babes that could wipe the floor with your face code wise but
they'll feel out of place in a male dominated atmosphere. Just like a man will feel out of place
as a nurse or receptionist and would eventually want to switch professions.

It's not the men that need to encourage the women, Its the women to encourage themselves.
The encouragement from the men wont carry as much weight at those from their female colleagues.

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by maekhel(m): 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:

It's not the men that need to encourage the women, Its the women to encourage themselves.
The encouragement from the men wont carry as much weight at those from their female colleagues.
I for one have been able to encourag a female coder and that female coder motivated few of her friends.

In essence, we guys need to encourage our female counterparts that they can as well be great coders.

They need that first push.

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by asalimpo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 06, 2016
maekhel:

I for one have been able to encourag a female coder and that female coder motivated few of her friends.

In essence, we guys need to encourage our female counterparts that they can as well be great coders.

They need that first push.
You did it for one person or a few.
But until women folk see some jobs as desirable for women, they'll be massive shortage of women in those fields.
Men dont need encouragement. You can laff at a male nurse , a male food seller but he'll keep going,
encouraging himself. But women would back off. So, it is the women(group encouragement), and the woman (self encouragement) that is really needed.
Blaming men for their shortcomings isnt the answer.
The feminism movement is just a way to blame internal tendency for self-doubt on men.
So the solution is to teach women how to harness their emotions,which is more dynamic than men,
and control their self doubt and stop pinning all their short comings on Men.
Infact, the practice of celebrating women in a particular field is doing more harm to the female psych
, than they know. It's saying, the men are opposers, and the woman has to claw her way through the enemy (man) to get to her goal! huh! bullsh*t ,most often.

Their open problems in math - a woman could solve one of them and make a name for herself. (one did
and is a field medalist)
They're open problems in computer science - a woman can solve one of them and excel. (One got a medal
some few years ago from ACM)
Women can be presidents and heads of companies -

They're many programming languages - a woman could have developed one of them.

Men are not holding women back. Women are not intellectually inferior to men.
They're just wired differently. Infact,this thread is an insult to women, because it implies that women can't excel at anything technical.

You know what, women have been indoctrinated from childhood, to believe in getting married,
having children and keeping the house.
Fathers, mothers, society have feed girls this b.s , so that they grow up with these programming.
Then the world gets suprised that women dont appear prominently in any major field.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 06, 2016
This thread is just a check and not an insult, I just wanted to find out if the ladies are measuring up.

It's clear that men are the first inventors of things, that can't be argued...afterall who came to the earth first? (I'm just being sarcastic, don't mind me)

Ladies abroad are doing well and I know they're even pulling stunts with codes, Bianca Fortuna, UK Tech Evangelist who got hired in 2014 by Microsoft is a very good example of female tech ninjas. I just wanted to find out if we also have young female code ninjas in Nigeria, for the few i met are old mamas who relocated from the UK.

I hope you understand now.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 07, 2016
Booyakasha:

wow you are sooo cool

I like to see women on a computer they look really cute

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
oloyolo:

wow you are sooo cool

I like to see women on a computer they look really cute

Same here.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by kachnov(m): 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2016
Cool...IT is the future.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by pythonkid(m): 9:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
asalimpo:
say 10 - 300 max.

117 lines of python code changed my life and it's still changing it for good .. Amount of lines in a code doesnt matter
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by uchi4jah: 5:06am On Mar 08, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. If not, could someone point me to the right place please?

Here you go:

"
Looking for someone to implement the backend of an web app I am working on. Frontend and all design stuff is completed. I need users to be able to sign in to the app and have their data, a list of names that they generated, which is already in json format stored in a server. I also need to be able to sign in with the same account on different devices and have the data from the server synchronized across devices and change the data from multiple devices simultaneously. . The data is already in json format and I think this would make things less complicated. I am a Software Developer and UX Designer so I know how some of these things work. Please reply with how much you will charge and any questions you have. Also, please, reply with a link to some stuff you have made: A portfolio of sorts. If you have made anything with angularJS or Firebase, could you share your experience cos I am using some of those for this project. If you have used Google Real Time API, that will even be better. Feel free to reply please.
"

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by DharmyYinks: 1:16pm On Mar 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Same here.
Pls what equipments,materials,softwares are required for one who wants to learn programming afresh?? Like totally new to d system.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by spoilerx: 2:06pm On Mar 08, 2016
I guess I should start counting lines of code.

I am a code newbie . python, JavaScript, HTML CSS.

currently playing around with django, trying to build a Twitter replica , will post here when I push to heroku or python anywhere.

as per resources for learning.
check cousera for a free python course by @drchuck , that's his Twitter. he is really good at explaining concepts. he is the reason a block head like me plays with code.

also codeacademy.com and IMPORTANTLY freecodecamp.com

excuse any grammatical errors.

PS I need a young female coder to teach me grin
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Pls what equipments,materials,softwares are required for one who wants to learn programming afresh?? Like totally new to d system.

It all depends on the aspect of programming, which one are you interested in specifically?, Application development, Website development..be specific.

Note: Application development covers Native PC software development (like OS's, calculators e.t.c.) and mobile app development.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by DharmyYinks: 9:20pm On Mar 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

It all depends on the aspect of programming, which one are you interested in specifically?, Application development, Website development..be specific.

Note: Application development covers Native PC software development (like OS's, calculators e.t.c.) and mobile app development.
The aspect is application development... I think it's cool.. right??
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
DharmyYinks:

The aspect is application development... I think it's cool.. right??

Everything is cool.

For application development you'd need an IDE (Dev. environment) to build your programs and test-drive too. Eclipse is a good all round IDE for application developers (don't ask me how to get it, Google it), then Android Studio, Microsoft Visual Basic.

You'd need to learn at least two programming languages, I suggest Java and JavaScript for a start.
Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by bchi(f): 2:20pm On Mar 09, 2016
what are the importance of c#?. im on it, still learning it. Thanks for your answer.

1 Like

Re: Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? by seunthomas: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2016
OP. If na wife u dey find abeg go romance section. angry

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Programming Is just Like Playing Football / Wht Is CSS Very Complicating...!!!!!!!!!! / 10 Years Anniversary Of Nairalander Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.