Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,285 members, 7,815,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business (1563 Views)

Buying A Land With 600k Or Starting A Business? / Chibuike Okechukwu Paschal Shows Off The Money He Sprayed On His Boss (photo) / How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by Nairaland101(m): 5:07pm On Mar 02, 2016
Last week, my 'umunna'shared the 'umunna' land among the youths of my village. Luckily for everyone, we got 5 plots each.
Yesterday, I told my grand father that I would love to sell mine and use the money to start up a business. To my greatest surprise, the old man spat on the floor abi ground, said "tufiakwa!" , called me a "child that knows nothing" , labelled me "ignorant" and then concluded that "no one uses money made from selling a land, any land to establish a business" , according to him, "the business must fail because the land is alive"
I still don't believe him, but I wouldn't risk loosing my money, potential business and my land of course.
What is your take on this matter, please ADVICE
Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by lomprico(m): 5:47pm On Mar 02, 2016
No! The money can only be used to drink ogogoro!
If I call u wetin dey my mind now tha mod whey dey stalk me go ban me.

1 Like

Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by nabiz(m): 7:15pm On Mar 02, 2016
My oga the same this is applicable in my place oo. I have an inherited big land that if I sell I will become as rich as tompolo, but in my Place it is a taboo. It is a communal land and not your. The land is not given to ur father or u alone but to also proportionately belongs to ur unborn generation(maternal and paternal) It is hereditary.
You ar expected to develop the land either by building, farming or something like that for ur your next generation.
Again in my place our lineage is traced through our maternal home instead of ur paternal home, so assuming u are from my place, that land belongs to ur mothers lineage. Ur sisters and brother own the land and not for ur children because ur children belongs to ur wife side. So selling the land means given the land to ur wife and children instead of ur brothers and sister.
In my place, a communal inherited property belongs to ur mother, sisters, or brothers generation(maternal side) and not for ur children whose lineage will be trace to ur wife side. If is assume that if u sell the land, ur wife and children will benefit from it instead of ur maternal people.
Ur children is expected to have the own communal inheritant from their mother side( ur wife). So if u are from my place, don't sell the land. It is not urs along but also ur maternal families. This is the reason when in some parts of igbo land, when a man dies, his brother will come after some of the man's building properties, instead of the children. That is why my maternal families care for me more than my paternal family.
When I ask my dad the reason it is done in that way, it was a very long interested story which some fathers don't even know but abide by it. This once of the reason some part of igbo land don't sell land to a stranger.
Though ur own case may be different.

1 Like

Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 03, 2016
My brother, trash that superstitous believe. The thing is that, when you receive the money, leave it in your account for like six months or betterstill, invest it on six months Treasury Bills so that the bank will do business with the money. Use this period to learn the business you want to go into thoroughly and also draft a plan on how to use the money.

The reason why so many people fail in whatever the do with the proceed for sale of land is because:
a. impatience. being a person that has not handle this kind of money before and obviously did not suffer to make the money, would just rush and embark on a business without taking time to plan your life.
b. no planning. like I said earlier, when you get the money, if possible, invest the money on treasury bills for upto a year. Use that period to learn everything about the business prepare a good business plan for it.

My friend survived with it, y cnt u?
If this is bad as claimed, then ther won't be a real estate agents engaging in another busines.
Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by Nairaland101(m): 10:34am On Mar 03, 2016
lomprico:
No! The money can only be used to drink ogogoro!
If I call u wetin dey my mind now tha mod whey dey stalk me go ban me.

The problem with u perhaps is that you joke wit evrytin . . . be serious for once. Go & inquire from ur fada 1st so da u can comment reasonably. Traditions differ bro
Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by Nairaland101(m): 10:37am On Mar 03, 2016
Royal155:
My brother, trash that superstitous believe. The thing is that, when you receive the money, leave it in your account for like six months or betterstill, invest it on six months Treasury Bills so that the bank will do business with the money. Use this period to learn the business you want to go into thoroughly and also draft a plan on how to use the money.

The reason why so many people fail in whatever the do with the proceed for sale of land is because:
a. impatience. being a person that has not handle this kind of money before and obviously did not suffer to make the money, would just rush and embark on a business without taking time to plan your life.
b. no planning. like I said earlier, when you get the money, if possible, invest the money on treasury bills for upto a year. Use that period to learn everything about the business prepare a good business plan for it.

My friend survived with it, y cnt u?
If this is bad as claimed, then ther won't be a real estate agents engaging in another busines.

I will consider this bro. tnx
Re: Can One Use The Money Made From Selling A Land To Start Up A Business by lomprico(m): 11:52am On Mar 03, 2016
Nairaland101:

The problem with u perhaps is that you joke wit evrytin . . . be serious for once. Go & inquire from ur fada 1st so da u can comment reasonably. Traditions differ bro
I know a lot of peeps that have sold their inherited land to start or boost thier businesses. And nothing has happened to them or their business. Its what u believe in that happens to you!
If I may ask what do u do with the money from land sale?

(1) (Reply)

Guide On Wholesale Rice, Flour & Vegetable Oil Business / 8 Excellent Ways To Attract New Customers To Your Business / You Can Now Pay Bill, Recharge And Do More With The Diamond Bank ATM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.