Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) (1638 Views)

10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger / Man Breaks His Piggy Bank After Saving For 10 Months & Saw This (Pics) / How Saving Can Cost You Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 2:09pm On Feb 22, 2017
So much has been said about the importance of saving in recent times that it has become necessary for me to point out a deception so that you don't fall victim to the same trap I did a few years back.

Growing up as a child wasn't all rosy for me...

I didn't get everything I wanted handed to me on a platter so I had to find ways to get things for myself.

I learnt to save from a very early age.

At age seven, I'd walk to school (even though I had transport fare) and keep my lunch money all because I was saving to buy football... I dared not ask for money to buy football at the time. ;-)

Naturally, before I was 18 years of age, I had learnt how to save money without struggle.

(Don't worry I'll give you free access to my insider secrets on how to save money when it's hard to save at the end of this article)

It was an exciting feeling... you know that extra confidence boost you get from knowing there's cash stored up somewhere huh? ;-)

But there was a problem...

I seemed to always be in a worse financial situation after meeting my goal...

Something was terribly wrong.

I thought saving was the key to wealth?

How come it was making me broke?!

Where was I going wrong?

I read all those materials that tells you to pay yourself first... they didn't seem to have the answer I was looking for.

I began to do some intense thinking...

You know how they say to look within because you probably already know the answer you seek right?

Good!

(That's exactly what I did.)

I found out two ways saving was making me broke.

Reduced buying power...

I was saving to amass wealth... to have more money so that I could buy the good things I wanted the only problem was that the inflation rate usually had a way of making my saved cash worth a little lesser in terms of purchasing power. :-(

Do you remember how much you bought toothpaste a just seven months ago? How much is it now?

Well, the scenario above didn't always catch up with me.

There were times when I could still afford the things that I wanted but... they only left me broke as well.

Okay.

Here's an instance...

As an undergraduate in the university, I was very passionate about phones...

I'd save up money before the end of the semester and while everyone else was crying of hunger, I'll be on the lookout for those who wanted to sell really good smart phones. :-;

But as a consequence... I'd then need to buy data. The more sophisticated the smartphone was, the higher the data consumption of the phone.

Remember 100MB was N1,000 back then... it wasn't doing much for me. I'd go for the N2,500 MTN 4.5GB (1.5GB Day and 3GB Night Plan)... The 1.5GB was easily used up so I'd end up having to subscribe the N1,000 plan in addition to this plan.

My cash was fleeting...

Saving became a struggle.

I'd save up some cash and end up using it up to meet "needs".

I was disappointed... I thought saving was going to make me rich.

But I'm not a quitter...

I had decided I was going to get rich or very rich. There was no other option for me so I had to find a way.

And I began to study and that was when I found out the missing part of the equation...

(I'd gladly drop the name of the book if you'd like to know, just ask in the comments)

It's not just about saving money it's about what you do with your savings - this will determine your outcome.

Most people... they save to buy things that take money out of their pockets... cars, phones, etc...liabilities.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

But if you're aspiring for a life of wealth and abundance, you can't play by that rule.

Save to invest.
Save to start your own business.
Save to take advantage of opportunities.
There are opportunities to earn everywhere around you. Save to take advantage of them for your own profiting.

Right there, my friend, is how saving made me broke and how you can avoid my error.

Did you notice it was when I began to study and invest in my financial education that I found the missing piece of the puzzle?

The most important investment you can make is in your financial education... books, seminars, courses to improve your financial intelligence to shield you from making silly mistakes and enable you recognize profit yielding opportunities.

Hope this helps?

I personally invite you to join Kingdom Business Classroom today.

Kingdom Business Classroom is a closed Facebook group where you receive weekly lessons to help you take charge of your financial future and get all your questions answered for free.

Get FREE ACCESS to Kingdom Business Classroom today by clicking the link below.

https://web./KBClassroom/

Remember your financial destiny is in your hands, take it seriously.

#TakeCharge of #YourFinancialDestiny

MH Gideon
The Blessed One

P.S: Are you struggling with saving money? I've recorded a 28 minutes audio guide to show you "How to Save Money in The Midst of Financial Crisis When It's Hard to Save" Download it for FREE when you join Kingdom Business Classroom here >>> https://web./KBClassroom/
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 7:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 8:49pm On Feb 23, 2017
hamziwhiz:

I'm available to answer questions on this subject if you have any.
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hayzed1090: 9:03pm On Feb 23, 2017
Good write up op. Pls my question is this: for how long can some 1 save to start a new business. I dnt fancy depositin money in banks at all, I invest any revenue from my current business bak into d business. So I want to know how long is financially Justifiable for m to save m money in banks. (mind you, I can't take loans. M religion frowns at interest payin or receivin)
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 9:59pm On Feb 23, 2017
hayzed1090:
Pls my question is this: for how long can some 1 save to start a new business.

This depends entirely on a few factors.

1. How much do you require to get started?

You might be overestimating how much you actually NEED to get started.

For example, some years ago I wanted to start an online business and had made estimates and was going to invest.

My mentor asked me a simple question that opened my eyes to see this truth.

I had wanted to pay for 2 years hosting but realized I didn't need to do that to get started - 12 months was sufficient to get started. I channeled the remaining cash elsewhere.

So you'll need to carefully reassess your projections to know how much you really need to get started just so you don't postpone your commencement date unnecessarily.

2. How much can you set aside regularly for this purpose and how often... (daily, weekly, monthly??)

Once you know how much you really need to get started, the next thing to do is to lay out how you plan to get it and in this case that includes determining how much you are willing and able to set aside and how often.

BONUS

3. How else can you get the money?

I don't like the idea of taking a bank loan to start a business. I don't even encourage it but there are creative ways to raise capital without taking a bank loan and I'm working on sharing more on that in the coming days.

I hope this helps? Let me know if you have any more questions.

I’ll want to specially invite you to Kingdom Business Classroom.

Kingdom Business Classroom is a closed Facebook group where you get practical ideas on how to make, manage and multiply money.

It’s absolutely FREE.

Join Kingdom Business Classroom to access quality financial education and receive answers to your questions related to money and building a business by clicking on the link below;

https:///KBClassroom/

Remember, Your financial destiny is in your hands – take it seriously!

God Bless You!

MH Gideon
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hayzed1090: 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2017
hamziwhiz:

This depends entirely on a few factors.

1. How much do you require to get started?

You might be overestimating how much you actually NEED to get started.

For example, some years ago I wanted to start an online business and had made estimates and was going to invest.

My mentor asked me a simple question that opened my eyes to see this truth.

I had wanted to pay for 2 years hosting but realized I didn't need to do that to get started - 12 months was sufficient to get started. I channeled the remaining cash elsewhere.

So you'll need to carefully reassess your projections to know how much you really need to get started just so you don't postpone your commencement date unnecessarily.

2. How much can you set aside regularly for this purpose and how often... (daily, weekly, monthly??)

Once you know how much you really need to get started, the next thing to do is to lay out how you plan to get it and in this case that includes determining how much you are willing and able to set aside and how often.

BONUS

3. How else can you get the money?

I don't like the idea of taking a bank loan to start a business. I don't even encourage it but there are creative ways to raise capital without taking a bank loan and I'm working on sharing more on that in the coming days.

I hope this helps? Let me know if you have any more questions.

I’ll want to specially invite you to Kingdom Business Classroom.

Kingdom Business Classroom is a closed Facebook group where you get practical ideas on how to make, manage and multiply money.

It’s absolutely FREE.

Join Kingdom Business Classroom to access quality financial education and receive answers to your questions related to money and building a business by clicking on the link below;

https:///KBClassroom/

Remember, Your financial destiny is in your hands – take it seriously!

God Bless You!

MH Gideon

I sent request already. Waiting for ur acceptance
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by mecussey(m): 3:41am On Feb 24, 2017
hamziwhiz:
So much has been said about the importance of saving in recent times that it has become necessary for me to point out a deception so that you don't fall victim to the same trap I did a few years back.

Growing up as a child wasn't all rosy for me...

I didn't get everything I wanted handed to me on a platter so I had to find ways to get things for myself.

I learnt to save from a very early age.

At age seven, I'd walk to school (even though I had transport fare) and keep my lunch money all because I was saving to buy football... I dared not ask for money to buy football at the time. ;-)

Naturally, before I was 18 years of age, I had learnt how to save money without struggle.

(Don't worry I'll give you free access to my insider secrets on how to save money when it's hard to save at the end of this article)

It was an exciting feeling... you know that extra confidence boost you get from knowing there's cash stored up somewhere huh? ;-)

But there was a problem...

I seemed to always be in a worse financial situation after meeting my goal...

Something was terribly wrong.

I thought saving was the key to wealth?

How come it was making me broke?!

Where was I going wrong?

I read all those materials that tells you to pay yourself first... they didn't seem to have the answer I was looking for.

I began to do some intense thinking...

You know how they say to look within because you probably already know the answer you seek right?

Good!

(That's exactly what I did.)

I found out two ways saving was making me broke.

Reduced buying power...

I was saving to amass wealth... to have more money so that I could buy the good things I wanted the only problem was that the inflation rate usually had a way of making my saved cash worth a little lesser in terms of purchasing power. :-(

Do you remember how much you bought toothpaste a just seven months ago? How much is it now?

Well, the scenario above didn't always catch up with me.

There were times when I could still afford the things that I wanted but... they only left me broke as well.

Okay.

Here's an instance...

As an undergraduate in the university, I was very passionate about phones...

I'd save up money before the end of the semester and while everyone else was crying of hunger, I'll be on the lookout for those who wanted to sell really good smart phones. :-;

But as a consequence... I'd then need to buy data. The more sophisticated the smartphone was, the higher the data consumption of the phone.

Remember 100MB was N1,000 back then... it wasn't doing much for me. I'd go for the N2,500 MTN 4.5GB (1.5GB Day and 3GB Night Plan)... The 1.5GB was easily used up so I'd end up having to subscribe the N1,000 plan in addition to this plan.

My cash was fleeting...

Saving became a struggle.

I'd save up some cash and end up using it up to meet "needs".

I was disappointed... I thought saving was going to make me rich.

But I'm not a quitter...

I had decided I was going to get rich or very rich. There was no other option for me so I had to find a way.

And I began to study and that was when I found out the missing part of the equation...

(I'd gladly drop the name of the book if you'd like to know, just ask in the comments)

It's not just about saving money it's about what you do with your savings - this will determine your outcome.

Most people... they save to buy things that take money out of their pockets... cars, phones, etc...liabilities.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

But if you're aspiring for a life of wealth and abundance, you can't play by that rule.

Save to invest.
Save to start your own business.
Save to take advantage of opportunities.
There are opportunities to earn everywhere around you. Save to take advantage of them for your own profiting.

Right there, my friend, is how saving made me broke and how you can avoid my error.

Did you notice it was when I began to study and invest in my financial education that I found the missing piece of the puzzle?

The most important investment you can make is in your financial education... books, seminars, courses to improve your financial intelligence to shield you from making silly mistakes and enable you recognize profit yielding opportunities.

Hope this helps?

Kingdom Business Classroom is a closed Facebook group where you receive weekly lessons to help you take charge of your financial future and get all your questions answered for free.

MH Gideon
The Blessed One

P.S: Are you struggling with saving money? I've recorded a 28 minutes audio guide to show you "How to Save Money in The Midst of Financial Crisis When It's Hard to Save" Download it for FREE when you join Kingdom Business Classroom here >>> https://web./KBClassroom/

simple...rich dad poor dad
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 6:46pm On Feb 24, 2017
mecussey:

simple...rich dad poor dad

Awesome.

I've read the book and it's amazing but the book I learnt that idea from was The Richest man in Babylon by George Clason.

have you joined Kingdom Business Classroom Yet?

MH Gideon

The Blessed One
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by nelsonebby(m): 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2017
As for me I don't know how to save money.

Just enjoy your life because this life is too short.

I was not born to suffer.
If I have money I spend it on my self.
Don't be selfish to yourself
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2017
nelsonebby:
As for me I don't know how to save money.

Just enjoy your life because this life is too short.

I was not born to suffer.

If I have money I spend it on my self.

Don't be selfish to yourself

I understand your point man, but that's not exactly the way it works.

You can't eat everything you earn today because you do not know what tomorrow presents - you might just need some cash to take advantage of a life changing opportunity.

However, there are people who do not know how to go about saving so they starve themselves.

That's not the appropriate way to get it done.

And I teach members of Kingdom Business Classroom how to save effectively.

MH Gideon

The Blessed One
Re: How Saving Money Made Me Broke (and How You Can Avoid This Trap) by hamziwhiz(m): 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2017
Someone might need this!

(1) (Reply)

Any New Paying Ponzi Scheme ? Am Interested / Award Winning Business Plan On Fashion Industry With Full Financial Projections / What Business Can Someone Do With #1m To Make A Profit Of At Least #500k Yearly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.