Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,360 members, 7,819,288 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa (734 Views)

President Buhari Hails Jonathan As He Addressed The European Union Parliament / Goodluck Jonathan As An Election Observer In Tanzania (Photos) / Buhari Hails Jonathan At AU Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Elose11(m): 10:24pm On Mar 02, 2016
The democratic credentials of former President Goodluck Jonathan have
received yet another boost with the Woodrow Wilson International
Center for Scholars in the United States recognizing him as the leader
that provided the best moments for democracy in Africa in 2015.

In its “The Year in Review” report for 2015, the Center highlighted
Nigeria’s 2015 elections and praised Jonathan’s classy role in
ensuring a smooth transfer of power in Nigeria which “became a big
confidence boost for Africa’s mass movements for democracy.”

A release issued by Mr Ikechukwu Eze, Jonathan’s media aide stated
that the assessment was contained in two perspectives on elections and
implications for Africa and U.S.-Africa relations presented Mr. Nii
Akuetteh, democracy activist and the current Executive Director of the
African Immigrants Caucus (AIC), and Mr. Olusegun Sotola, Senior
Researcher with the think tank, Initiative for Public Policy Analysis
(IPPA).

Mr. Akuetteh’s praised Jonathan for the position he took against
violence and commended for saving the day by conceding to his
challenger President Muhammadu Buhari and pledging a smooth handover
of power.

He stated: “Unquestionably, Nigeria’s recent embrace of democracy and
Jonathan’s classy role define Africa’s most important—and
uplifting—story of 2015. Africa and the world should give thanks.”

On his part, Olusegun Sotola described the 2015 election as a
significant milestone in the country’s democracy, signposting several
emerging positive trends in Africa. “Nigeria’s stature in the region,
the willingness of the incumbent to concede power and not manipulate
the process matters a great deal,” said Sotalo.

Sotola further narrated how African leaders were known for attempting
to manipulate the electoral process to lengthen their stay in office.
“The electoral histories of African countries are replete with
post-election violence caused by the unwillingness of the ruling party
or the incumbent to relinquish power.”

Both Akuetteh and Sotola agreed that former President Jonathan’s
handling of the election helped eliminate the possibility looming
havoc in the country.

Annually, the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars reviews
critical and monumental events that happened on the continent of
Africa in their “The Year in Review” report. In the United States, the
Woodrow Wilson Center serves as a key non-partisan policy forum for
tackling global issues through independent research and an open
dialogue to inform actionable ideas for the policy community

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/news/u-s-center-hails-jonathan-hero-democracy-africa/
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by olusd(m): 10:25pm On Mar 02, 2016
Not bad

1 Like

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by chriskosherbal(m): 10:25pm On Mar 02, 2016
He is worth it.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by HungerBAD: 10:26pm On Mar 02, 2016
I don't believe it.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Pheals(f): 10:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
Make I check the news source undecided
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Blackfire(m): 10:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
Bad news
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 02, 2016
I love you Jonathan!!
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 02, 2016
They can say that again

though am not a fan of politic but i respect his humility, and that is one thing i have learnt from him, that at times u dont win always

1 Like

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by macino1(m): 11:11pm On Mar 02, 2016
Congrat Jona. Though, the award should be because of your free hand given to your boys to do undo with national cake.
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by johnmartus(m): 11:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
they are not serious
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by fistonati(m): 11:37pm On Mar 02, 2016
To whom the Cap fits, I thank God for d man of Democracy.
Obasanjo doesn't want his record (of time been president) broken in Nigeria but it's been battered by objective minds abroad.

God bless Goodluck Jonathan

1 Like

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Jirate(m): 2:55am On Mar 03, 2016
Who can forget when he said “My Political Ambition is not Worth The Live of Any Nigerian”, …………………….including the live of his perceived enemies.
God bless You Sir for Saving Lives, Your own life will forever be Precious in Our Sight.

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Tunami(m): 3:43am On Mar 03, 2016
this man is always giving the zombies heart attack.

1 Like

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by M4gunners: 4:08am On Mar 03, 2016
GEJ keep winning even when his enemies thought he was a looser,yet the world see him as a winner.
If you listen to the news coming from Burundi after since their election, you will understand what Jonathan did for the sake of peace in Nigeria. GEJ my Hero.

1 Like

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by eleojo23: 4:18am On Mar 03, 2016
OK. SEEN.
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by 989900: 4:48am On Mar 03, 2016
No doubt, I'll give this to him allday . . . amidst pressure from the likes of Sambo, Badeh, Dasuki, Diezani, Tompolo, 'Mama Peace', Dokubo, Metuh, Orubebe, Okupe, 'Fani-werepe', Fayose, Bode George, and e.t.c. to do otherwise.
The one reason he might never see prison, nor be indicted for anything serious, Oga Jona might have even returned some 'yams' . . . who knows?

I pity the rest forming 'voltron'.

Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Nobody: 5:04am On Mar 03, 2016
Haters will be needing CPR after reading this news.
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by Aufbauh(m): 5:19am On Mar 03, 2016
He can get all the international applause for all i care.
The most important thing for Nigeria and Nigerians was that we have butted his clueless, inept, wasteful and corrupt administration out of our seat of power.

His concession of defeat was a set up by God and destiny to quietly relieve him of his overdue 'goodluck' bazaar government which the petty minds cannot comprehend.
His continous stay would have been a disaster to our already battered economy and enslavement of the common man by the privileged few.
Re: U.S Center Hails Jonathan As Hero Of Democracy In Africa by juman(m): 5:25am On Mar 03, 2016
It was the first free and fair election ever in nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Why Dasuki will end up in prison - Buhari / The Sons Of Futa Jalon (part 1) / On The China-nigeria Yuan Deal-adétòmíwá Adétòmíwà Writes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.