Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,803 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew (29038 Views)

Falana Asks Army To Release Ransome-kuti From Prison / Why We Jailed Gen. Ransome-kuti – Army / Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by fortune1968: 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2016
jane0000:
But he didn't run to Abidjan na. cheesy
like Ojuk....from the baby factory region .
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by pasol4real(m): 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2016
lastpage:

At least he did not run away, only to come back crawling on the floor, begging to be pardoned.... and then abandon the same folks whose life he placed on the line, to take up positions with "the enemy",.... just because of his selfish interest. undecided undecided

Only the very Brave can commit suicide, to protect their own integrity, when all other options fail. Awolowo though not a miliatry man, was very brave, no doubt

That is what that "Army General" Ojukwu who eloped to Abidjan should have done....... instead of ridiculing a whole race who are still paying the price for his "exemplary cowardice", till today.

Lastpage!
Only a brave man commits suicide? grin
Chai no Wonder cowardice n suicide runs in you people's d.n.a.
Every one knows dim ikemba ojukwu is n will continue to be the bravest man n soldier in africa .
A man that despite all odds stood n fought the whole world ,defending his people with little or no resources .
A man that stood by his words n fought the Imperial british n the North.unlike awolowo who after agreeing to seceede went back n developed cold feet.
N for ur info ojukwu did not run to anywhere during the war.he stayed n executed his war to the end,he only handed over to his 2ic to surrender,after it was clear the war had bin lost.
Só he did not run away from any battle or challenge.
Unlike the following cowards
AWOLOWO
OGUNDIPE.
DIYA
Ransome kuti etc.
Even obasanjo was scared of taking over from the dead muritala,but for danjuma who encouraged n" gingered "him.
Seriously yorubas have to do something about their penchant for cowardice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Muhammadygk(m): 12:30pm On Mar 03, 2016
otijah:
Why the demoting again, that means the release they released him is not from their minds
Buhari Sef

Based on d level of atrocities he commited, he was dismissed from d nigeria army before, nd was given 6month sentence which he just completed. Before d completion of his sentence, the military tribunal saw dat the punishment was too harsh, den they reconvene again nd make d judgment less harsh, dats by reinstatement of kuti but by condition dat he accused must be demoted. It's not dat he was nt found guilty.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by vanguard90(m): 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2016
Muhammadygk:

U should thank god he was reinstated at d first place before making ur bigotry comment. Do u know how many life were lost in baga under his command due wat is called "DUTY NEGLIGENCE".
You expect him to fight with clubs and arrows against people wielding classical weapons abi?
Keep deceiving yourselves
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Biafrarep(m): 12:35pm On Mar 03, 2016
bisola99:
I believe his rank should be reinstated back to him, IF NOT it shows their is a northern agenda underneath!
Good Morning to you because it seems you are just waking up! Do you think that if this man's name sounds like Mohamed Bello Suleman & happens to be Hausa or Fulani, he would have been demoted from such enviable rank as Brigadier General?? Nigeria is an animal farm, the hausa/fulani owns it & determines who gets what!! That is why we are fighting to break free from those leeches up north. It is the support they get from your people that emboldens them but we shall succeed despite all odds!!!
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by zoomman(m): 12:37pm On Mar 03, 2016
jane0000:
Gbam, 2 bottles of smirnoff for you...@jane
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by vanguard90(m): 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2016
Funny to see people whose hero was a coward who ran to Abidjan disguised after bringing war upon these same foolish followers now calling someone who was clearly sabotaged a coward.

Their recent hero is also languishing somewhere in kuje after boasting of going to level Nigeria with his gullible followers. the foolish man is now regretting having realized his people are the real cowards.

Even if u want to stay neutral, all dis foolish yanmirins will not let you

You think you can run ur mouths abi, try us and see, useless people

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by vanguard90(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
jane0000:
Lol, perfect response ma'am
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by babaireti(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
MrFootball:
hmmm
seems to me dat buhari is out to witch-hunt those who offended him during his dictatorship..
Eg Dansuki
am sure dis guy is passing 2ru all dis because fela dealt wi Buhari 2ru his songs, and his brothers Beko etc were civil rights activists.

What a bitter/unforgiving old man we have as our president!!

Beko was not his Brother ,but Father,he is the Son of Beko Ransome Kuti
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by meccuno: 12:53pm On Mar 03, 2016
If he was a northerner, would he have been demoted?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 03, 2016
vanguard90:

You expect him to fight with clubs and arrows against people wielding classical weapons abi?
Keep deceiving yourselves
He was well equipped with armored vehicle at the time.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Adminisher: 1:03pm On Mar 03, 2016
hucienda:
chai...

But really the Nigerian Army fall the General hand by coming public saying he was a coward. I can't for the life of me imagine a soldier- let alone a General- display cowardice.

Now the humiliation is complete- taken further steps by his arrest and subsequent release, and now his demotion.

He was an extremely careless CO but not a COWARD. The first rule in a new location is to secure the area, erect fortifications, do aggressive patrols, set up watch stations and sniper emplacements. He did nothing so when Boko Haram came calling, it was confusion

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by linearity: 1:14pm On Mar 03, 2016
nogames:
Finding of no guilt... Discharged and acquitted but DERANKED, on what ground? Falana will still drag them to court again

Based on the article the court martial found him guilty of counts two and three but not guilty on count one, which appear to be the more serious of fence of cowardice.

But the council found him not quilty on count three which was the weapons charge, however they affirmed the count two guilty findings and for that demoted him.

It is kind of stuff, he was found guilty of not defending his position and allowing BK to capture Baga town, ironically if he had maintained his ground, himself and many of his men would have been dead by now.

The question now for soldiers is, when is the right time to pull back or withdraw when one is taking serious fire from the opponent? Sadly in the Armed Forces, you cannot withdraw until your commanding officer say so, and the court will always defer to the judgement of the commanding officer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by MrFootball(m): 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2016
babaireti:

u seem to misunderstand my usage: I was referring to beko as fela's brother smiley and not d army guy.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Deltagiant: 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

But in Nigeria they are all cowards in uniform
Its only in Nigeria you see army officers craving the comforts of civilian life. They want to live among civilians but when its time to bully the civilians they are good at it. Meanwhile they run away from terrorists and any real threat to the country
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by gidjah(m): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2016
That's the same Baga where my brother has been since last yr defending this nation,oh Lord keep him safe and sound.Those Generals are good at nothing by looting the treasury of the nation dry .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Sayelabola(m): 1:41pm On Mar 03, 2016
Pangea:
If you are not well connected in Nigeria And you find yourself in trouble? You are a goner!
His selfishness landed him in more troubles... always chopping alone.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Sayelabola(m): 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2016
babaireti:

Hello,

You were almost there...The duo of Beko and Fela were Enitan's uncle.

The former Nigerian Army Brigedier General is the son of the late Nigerian Health Minister...Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Sayelabola(m): 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2016
MrFootball:

u seem to misunderstand my usage: I was referring to beko as fela's brother smiley and not d army guy.

Not Beko, not Fela, but the son of the late health minister... Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by naijacentric(m): 2:07pm On Mar 03, 2016
The army is punishing him for losing plenty equipments to boko haram n negligence to duty i think the best thing for him is to resign
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2016
Pangea:
If you are not well connected in Nigeria
And you find yourself in trouble?
You are a goner!
yes ooo. If Baba is connected to this.... I smell an age old beefing with the kutis...if this kuti is related to Olikoye
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by ostirich(m): 2:30pm On Mar 03, 2016
better to be demoted than to be killed by boko haram
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by alaskido(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2016
Brigadier-General Enitan Ransome Kuti is not a COWARD. He is a brave soldier. The money meant for arms purchase is what we are talking about today. DASUKI is the COWARD. If the general had superior and functional weapons, he would have fought the Boko Haram's to a standstill.

This tells us that BUHARI is not a democrat. He is a dictator. There is a Northern agenda in this issue. His rank should be reinstated period.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by lastpage: 4:25pm On Mar 03, 2016
Love Machine:
He was in commander who led soldiers to retake a community captured by bokoharam.
He ordered soldiers to retreat during exchange of gunshots with bokoharam and he fled to maiduguri
city for several months before he was recaptured by the army authority and charged.That was cowardice of him being a commander in the army.

He was a General who knew the difference between outright SUICIDE...... and GALLANTRY!
If not for him, many of you will be mourning the loss of your bread-winners who were soldiers but led to their deaths, for no good reason.

He led his troops in battle to engage Terrorists who were BETTER ARMED, not because Nigerian Army cannot equip its troops but because the likes of Col Dasuki, as NSA, under a Jonathan presidency, General Amosu, Mr. Bafarawa, Olisah Metuh, Olu Falaye, e.t.c looted money that were earmarked to be used to buy them MODERN WEAPONS for his Troops so they can "effectively engage" the terrorist.

He can as well allow those Soldiers to be slaughtered after-all, there will always be more soldiers but as "a General with a conscience", he knew it was pointless to be fighting well-armed terrorists when you had inferior weapons, fake weapons due to the sabotage by your Superior officer and Politicians.
He ordered a "Tactical Retreat" ......TO SAVE THE LIFE OF HIS TROOPS! I am sure everyone of their family members (Aged Parents, Wives, Children) will forever remain grateful to him, for that reason.

*Will General Kuti have been considered a better, brave and gallant Soldier, if he had allowed them to be slaughtered with their inferior weapons?
*Does America not do everything within its own Power, to ensure that its soldiers have the best advantage in any battle they engage with?
*Would an American general lead his troops to a certain, glaringly obvious, unnecessary but avoidable death?
*Is this how much we value the life of our Soldiers or are we just beclouded by tribal sentiments?

This story reminds me of a certain Commissioner of Police, now retired, (He is from Ondo State and knows himself) who led his "troops" on a suicide mission against the the Ombatse "Cult" Group and hundreds of the policemen met their death in a most embarrassing manner, juts because of his own personal and selfish gains. Is that gallantry or bravery? I dont think so.

So, the Nigerian Army should stop being a d*ck-head!
You cannot punish a General who made a wise decision, under the prevailing circumstance...... just to prove a silly point of bravery.
That is not Gallantry, it is foolishness and demoralizes the "rank and file"
Will any of these Generals demoting Kuti face Boko Haram, if their own weapons were sabotaged by their own superiors?

I am calling on President Buhari to look into this matter because l know he is a man of wisdom.[b][/b]

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by lastpage: 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2016
linearity:

Based on the article the court martial found him guilty of counts two and three but not guilty on count one, which appear to be the more serious of fence of cowardice.

But the council found him not quilty on count three which was the weapons charge, however they affirmed the count two guilty findings and for that demoted him.

It is kind of stuff, he was found guilty of not defending his position and allowing BK to capture Baga town, ironically if he had maintained his ground, himself and many of his men would have been dead by now.

The question now for soldiers is, when is the right time to pull back or withdraw when one is taking serious fire from the opponent?
Sadly in the Armed Forces, you cannot withdraw until your commanding officer say so, and the court will always defer to the judgement of the commanding officer.

Even the "Almighty" American military have pulled back from battles, times without number!
Does that make them Cowards? Hell No!

Most of the weapons used by some of these terrorists are "captured" when a Base is over-ran...and American + Nato Bases have been over-ran, a number of times.
They just regroup, take back their Bases, learn the lessons and kick the terrorists better, next time.

And that is an American military were the Commanders in Washington cannot be accused of looting Defence Budget.
If any General does that, he will be Shot, no questions asked. But in Nigeria, those who loot the Weapons Money are the same people court-marshalling their junior officers! Very ironic.

Nigeria is also not very experienced in "Guerilla warfare" (until now that we are learning very fast) so we should not be surprised if we get a few "shocks" like this.
Boko Haram is a not a standing Army but a bunch of "hi-and-run" cowards who hypnotize under-age girls to carry out suicide bombings, while hiding their bombs inside a Muslim Burkah!

I think "common sense" position is to "retire" Brig Kuti with full honors and while dealing severely with the real saboteurs who looted the #Armsgate money, bearing in mind that the military "must never be seen as condoning the abandonment of duty" .......for any reason

Lastpage
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by edpunter(m): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2016
MrFootball:
hmmm
seems to me dat buhari is out to witch-hunt those who offended him during his dictatorship..
Eg Dansuki
am sure dis guy is passing 2ru all dis because fela dealt wi Buhari 2ru his songs, and his brothers Beko etc were civil rights activists.

What a bitter/unforgiving old man we have as our president!!

He's a military man, they will never forgive you unless an educated one. That's their trait - Moses Law: You do me I do you, God no dey vex. Well, I blame Nigerians for allowing a secondary sch.cert (as they claimed but am sure na primary sch. cert or none) to show us how democracy works. Imagine No fuel, no constant electricity after 10 months, instead of am to repair things cos 4 years just be like 4weeks, e own na to dey pursue people wen don squander money finish forgetting say dem go bribe their way out with the yeye judiciary system we get. Shameless country and followers.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by dastudent(m): 4:58pm On Mar 03, 2016
sawyer89:
The Ransome-Kuti I know was fearless, bold and courageous!

God rest your soul Anikulapo.

Too bad the General is the opposite of his great Uncle.

Have you researched the story of what really happened to him.

On October 15, a military court-martial sitting in Abuja, convicted Mr. Ransome Kuti, 51, of alleged offences during the war against Boko Haram – a sentence that earned him a six month prison term and a dismissal from the army.

According to the General Court Martial, Mr. Ransome-Kuti was awarded the following punishments:

• The first count charge, which was “cowardly behaviour” was struck out but he was found guilty on count charge number two which was “failure to perform military duties” and was dismissed from the Nigerian Army.

• He was equally found guilty on count charge number 3 which was “miscellaneous offences relating to service property” and was awarded six months imprisonment.

When the news of the military’s verdict was broken to her at home, Mrs. Davies said she wept.

“It is his brother and his wife that were begging me, because I don’t know how my BP (blood pressure) just spring up immediately I heard the news,” she said.

“I was shaking, that how come? How can Boko Haram issue come and spoil somebody’s career? Somebody that has been serving the nation for 40 years.

“Right from NMS (Nigerian Military School), he was Drum Major there. And he’s one of the best students there. Many people liked him, teachers, everybody.

“He does the work as if the work belongs to him. That is why I wonder why they would come and judge him this way. I felt bad, I cried, I wept bitterly.‎”

Mr. Ransome-Kuti, who was the Commander of the Multi National Joint Task Force, was blamed after the Boko Haram insurgents overran the Baga on January 3.

The brigadier-general, his chief of staff, Lieutenant-Colonel GA Suru, and some other senior officers were arrested for failing to repel the terrorists’ attack on the headquarters of the MNJTF.

During his trial, the officer denied all the charges, with his lawyer arguing that the Nigerian Army failed in its duties to provide the necessary equipment in the war against insurgency.

‎A military source told PREMIUM TIMES that before the attack, Mr. Ransome-Kuti had warned about the danger of keeping officers at Baga without adequate protection.

“It was too dangerous for them to stay at Baga. They were sitting there like lame ducks, too exposed,” said the source who preferred not to be named.

“Because of the danger, Chad were the first to withdraw from the MNJTF in May, followed by Niger around November.
“It was after the attack in January that they now moved the base from Baga to Ndjamena.”

The MNJTF was created by defence and military chiefs from the six countries that make up the Lake Chad Basin – Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroun, Central African Republic, and Libya – to combat arms trafficking, terrorism, and related cross-border attacks.

‎There are different accounts as to what actually transpired in Baga on January 3 which led to the Boko Haram insurgents dislodging troops of the MNJTF as well as those of the 134 and 174 Battalions.

At the time of the incident, a military source had told PREMIUM TIMES that the military ‎hierarchy were especially angry with Mr. Ransome-Kuti for his inability to lead his troop to counter the Boko Haram onslaught despite the high calibre of ammunition at his disposal.

The Brigadier-General was also said to had gone underground for four days after the MNJTF was dislodged.
“Nobody was able to reach him and nobody could tell where he was,” a source said.

“The suspicion is that he was roaming around Maiduguri in mufti while his troop were in disarray. He and his officers have to account for everything.”

‎But Mrs. Davies insisted her son would never abscond from his duty post, adding that Mr. Ransome-Kuti had been fighting the insurgents since 2009.

‎”He doesn’t come home often, because they post him from one end to another, far in the north there‎. They don’t bring him to Lagos, it’s that north that they have been taking him to,” Mrs. Davies said.

“And when this thing started, when he was the commander of one unit at Nguru, he was the one that led his men that they drove these people away. They faced them and drove them away from Potiskum.

“He was the one that fought that fight and those people went away. Before they came back in full force. And they even called him to army headquarters to commend him for doing that work.”

Mr. Ransome-Kuti’s court martial lasted over six months, and his mother said she never summoned courage to ‎attempt attending any of the proceedings or watch news of the hearing.

“I’ve never attended the court since the case started,” she said.

“I can’t stand and be looking at my son in court. I just sit down at home, waiting for whatever they said they should tell me‎.”

As military duties moved Mr. Ransome-Kuti around northern Nigeria, from Yola to Biu to Kainji,‎ Mrs. Davies maintained a steady presence in her son’s family, sometimes spending up to eight months in one year.

“I used to stay with the wife, so that I’ll be keeping her company,” she said.

“He’s always traveling, they always post him out to go and work. That’s why I use to follow them about to stay with the children and the wife.”

Asked if she’d rather her son’s judgment was commuted to a mere dismissal from the army, Mrs. Davies insisted reinstatement is the only option.

She appealed to Yoruba leaders to intervene in the issue and help save her son.

‎”I’m just appealing to the military authority and Nigerians to help us beg them to send him back to his work,” she said.

“To give him back his rank and let him go back to work, because he doesn’t deserve this kind of judgment.”

In addition to Mr. Ransome Kuti’s portrait, other photographs, including wedding photo‎s, adorn the walls of the poorly lit room where Mrs. Davies took turns to respond to questions from two journalists.

“He’s the one taking care of me and he has a wife and three children,” she said.

“And there are some other family members that he is taking care of. In fact, I will say he is a pillar in the family. Since he was detained in Abuja, everybody has been down and everybody is praying that they should release him because he’s our breadwinner.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/192196-exclusive-mother-of-convicted-army-general-pleads-for-mercy.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by lastpage: 4:59pm On Mar 03, 2016
edpunter:

He's a military man, they will never forgive you unless an educated one. That's their trait - Moses Law: You do me I do you, God no dey vex. Well, I blame Nigerians for allowing a secondary sch.cert (as they claimed but am sure na primary sch. cert or none) to show us how democracy works. Imagine No fuel, no constant electricity after 10 months, instead of am to repair things cos 4 years just be like 4weeks, e own na to dey pursue people wen don squander money finish forgetting say dem go bribe their way out with the yeye judiciary system we get. Shameless country and followers.

#WAILER ALERT! undecided

Educate yourself below.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by edpunter(m): 5:31pm On Mar 03, 2016
lastpage:

#WAILER ALERT! undecided

Educate yourself below.

Lastpage!

Hey douche stop deceiving yourself with edited screenshot cos for Nigeria people no dey finish University with fake WAEC, abi the Buhari na saint? You as a citizen what have you gained so far from his regime? I'm so sure you will queue tonight to get petrol and still get home without electricity. Who will now Wail?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by cardoctor(m): 6:35pm On Mar 03, 2016
If only Fela were around.
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by sapientia(m): 7:43pm On Mar 03, 2016
4 years seniority.. he might be promoted after one year.

or

retired...

Retiring being the most likely one since his juniors are already Brigs

The last time i checked.. some of his mates are already Maj
Re: Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew by Samandgrace(m): 7:44pm On Mar 03, 2016
Acres of land for sale @Funnab area of Abeokuta@400K per acre. Ping me on:2A2823A5 or mail @ segunfadeyione@yahoo.com if u have interest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC House Of Assembly Candidate Killed / The Oba Of Lagos Does Not Speak For Us - APC / Borno Governor Attacks Jonathan, Seeks Amnesty For Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.