Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

What Makes A Genius? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Makes A Genius? (1329 Views)

Who Stole The Coke? Come In If And Only If You're A Genius. / Only A Genius Can Interpret This (photo) / Solve This Puzzle If You Are A Genius (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A Genius? by Oking1(m): 11:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
Hello Guys,
My friends and i got into this argument and i thought i should get a general opinion from you. How does someone become a genius? is it: (1) genetic (2) Breeding (3) Quality of education (4)personal development (5)innate or even (6)spiritual (abi maybe they got to dream about what they are going to invent) , or others not listed here. TO make it clear A Genius here means great inventors,scientists, philosophers, like Albert Einstein, Beethoven,Pablo piccaso,Isaac Newton,Aristotle,plato etc.What makes them what they are? is ther a common factor here? please share your opinion
Re: What Makes A Genius? by dgreatmind: 10:58am On Jul 16, 2009
I WAS ON THIS PAGE FOR OVER AN HOUR AND STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WRITE
COULD I BE THE DIRECT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW?
Re: What Makes A Genius? by MWorkers(m): 8:39pm On Jul 16, 2009
A genius is an ordinary person like you and I who has decided to make a difference in the world, according to Ibraheem Dooba, a former columnist on GENIUS in "SuccessDigest" magazine. Read "Profiles of Genius" by Dr. Gene Landrum, a global authority on GENIUS with more than 10 well-researched books on genius or log on to www.GeneLandrum.com.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by Phemour: 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2009
I say, its what they are born to be.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by Oking1(m): 4:47am On Jul 17, 2009
M-Workers:

A genius is an ordinary person like you and I who has decided to make a difference in the world, according to Ibraheem Dooba, a former columnist on GENIUS in "SuccessDigest" magazine. Read "Profiles of Genius" by Dr. Gene Landrum, a global authority on GENIUS with more than 10 well-researched books on genius or log on to www.GeneLandrum.com.

Are you saying that becoming a genius is purly a matter of decision? so someone like you or me can wake up tomorrow and just because we decided to do something different makes us a genius?
Re: What Makes A Genius? by filibust: 3:16pm On Jul 17, 2009
On a contrary view,i think and strongly know with results to justify that some pple (Genius) are naturally gifted from God, That's why they strong and toll unlike an average personality,

They are naturally endowed from God. Pronto.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by SEFAGO(m): 4:54pm On Jul 18, 2009
top 1% IQ. you are likely not one wink. Neither am I, I am in 2-4% like around 2.4% of the world in intelligence
Re: What Makes A Genius? by kaycast(m): 11:45pm On Jul 18, 2009
Well we could say that some have that gift, its very possible, some people dont study as hard as some people do in certain areas and they still come out 10 times better than people who are trying to.
while i believe strongly that people can also work their way to being a genius, you get to a level of focus and determination, you just find out you are the best in that area, http://nigerian-youth..com talks to the nigerian youth on how to discover these potentials.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by dgreatmind: 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2009
I THINK TO AN EXTEND, WHAT MAKE UP A THIEF CAN ALSO IN NO TIME MAKE UP A GENIUS,
         THERE IS MORE TO THE MIND THAN WHAT WE'VE KNOW,
         IT'S VERY OBVIOUS TO KNOW THAT WE ARE TOO RELAX WHEN IT COME TO EXPLORING OUR MENTAL CAPABILITY,  RESERCHERS MAKE US TO UNDER STAND THAT GENUIS ARE THOSE WHO MAKE USE OF 11% OF THIER MENTALL CAPACITY,
          COME TO THINK OF THESE, WHEN YOU USE YOU MAN POWER YOU GRADUALLY WEAROUT REVERSE IS THE CASE WHEN IT COME TO MIND POWER. THE ONLY WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR MIND POWER IS TO MAKE USE OF IT.
         I THEREFORE DISABUSE THE FACT THAT [center]GENUIS ARE ONLY BORN.[/center]
[center]GENUIS CAN BE MADE THOUGH SOME ARE BORN.[/center]
LET US ALL WAKEUP FROM OUR SLUMBER SO AS TO STRENGHTEN OUR WEEKNESSES AND MAKEUP A GENUIS OF OUR OWN TIME
BEST REGARDS
GREATMIND
Re: What Makes A Genius? by Dooba: 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2010
Someone referred to what I once wrote in Success Digest magazine on genius. Well that was before my graduate degree in psychology. The one below is fairly recent.

[center]Genius is 100% preparation II
By Ibraheem Dooba[/center]

Haruna was one year ahead of me in secondary school. But we always went to school and came back together. However, while Haruna read his books after school, we did everything other than revising our lessons. Our time was occupied by music, novels, lengthy but empty discussions and football.

Haruna played football too - when he needed fresh air and a break from his books. And that time always coincided with the last fifteen minutes. That was around 6pm; when the sky began to dim its lights. I can still see Haruna jogging to the field in his tall and thin frame and requesting which side to play for.
I can also see some players (his friends) trying to break him into two for daring to study while we played. The tackles against him were rough, mischievous and overt.

Fortunately, nobody succeeded in breaking Haruna on the field. We didn't succeed in breaking his study habits either. And when others were struggling with Cs and Bs at the final exams, Haruna cranked out As. As a result, he was the first among us to get a scholarship to study abroad. He came back with a master's degree from Russia when his classmates were still snail-walking through their first degrees in Nigerian universities.
The story of Haruna is normal; a good student who got better through the grit of regular hard work. But the story of one of the Abduls (we had many) in my class was different. When he joined us in form four, he couldn't speak coherent English.

And when he did, his speech was as accented as that of Jegede Shokoya in the New Masquerade. His mathematics ability was zilch and the physics lessons dazed him. "From which hamlet in the South West was this guy plucked?" we wondered. We equally wondered how he managed to get into the school. Transfer students like him were not usually admitted at GSS Minna where a prospective student had to write good essays and admission was very competitive.

Anyway, Abdul became a specimen and a butt of jokes. But he paid us no heed. Rather, he focused his attention on learning all the things he didn't know. And was he a stickler? Abdul would continue to ask questions in class until he understood the entire lesson. Thereafter, he would go to the better students to practice the lessons. He also paid steep prices for after-school lessons.

After two years, the transformation was magical. Abdul did better in all science subjects than us - the cocky ones. Miss Alabi, the physics teacher always used him as an example, "look at Abdul when he came here…, "
Stories like these have led me to theorize that genius is not a person but a thing. And that thing is a product of hard work. We call someone a genius when we see him exhibiting the product of his hard work.

I know you're thinking, "but Haruna and Abdul are ordinary guys, what about prodigies?" This is a genuine concern. A prodigy is someone that has ability considerably beyond his age group. But the phenomenon of prodigy is usually exaggerated and psychologists have found very little evidence to support the occurrence.
Malcolm Gladwell said in his book Outliers, "The obvious answer… is achievement is talent plus preparation. But the problem with this view is that the closer psychologists look at the careers of the gifted, the smaller the role innate talent seems to play and the bigger the role preparation seems to play."

Let's look at one of the oft-touted stories of a prodigy: Mozart's music compositions. It's true that he started composition at age six but as Michael Howe said in Genius Explained, "Of those concertos that only contain music original to Mozart, the earliest that is now regarded as a masterwork was not composed until he was twenty-one: by that time Mozart had already been composing concertos for ten years."

If you had to do something consistently for ten years before you can produce one masterpiece, that wouldn't make you an exceptionally talented person, would it?

Harold Schonberg quoted in John Hayes' Thinking and Learning Skills didn't pull punches. According to him, Mozart produced his greatest work after he had been composing for more than twenty years! "Mozart", he said, "developed late."

In the part to two of this piece, I'll show you how to trick your child into a genius.

About the Author
Ibraheem Dooba believes in and writes about accelerated, affordable and quality education.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by sollie: 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
A genius is simply an ordinary person who does extraordinary things, so to be a genius, you must think in an extraordinary manner.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by Nice4dbest(m): 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2010
A genius is a man with unflagging determination and composure who never believes in impossibility. He stands out of the crowd and tenaciously adhere to his plans of purpose. This is why many of them are not amorous or unduly fashion prospective.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2010
It is not by power neither is it by might,but it is by the spirit say the lord. To me its a Gift!!!.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by dgreatmind: 5:44pm On Mar 16, 2010
Ever child is born a Genuis but majority die not knowing it,
Guenuis is a thing of the mind.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by atunje(f): 8:15pm On Mar 16, 2010
[Deleted..]
Re: What Makes A Genius? by MindExplorer(m): 1:22am On Mar 17, 2010
Personaly, I have come 2 discover dat Genius is defined by an infinite capacity for taking pains. He who comes out a Genius, is a devoted worker. He has developed an infinite capacity for making painful sacrifices. So he naturaly does things considered too tedius by a normal human. IT IS A PRODUCT OF INFINITE TRAININGS!
Re: What Makes A Genius? by agabaI23(m): 1:35am On Mar 17, 2010
A genius is a product of hardwork and determination but your IQ must be above average.

One of the guys that decoded the gene sequence was not one those you look up to answer a tricky question in his university days neither was he best performer. He did not even graduate with first class.

My classmate would say, 'let me re- re- re- re- reconfirm' referring to many times he has read his lecture note and a particular topic before exam. He hardly scored below 70.
Re: What Makes A Genius? by jahson56(m): 1:39am On Mar 17, 2010
U must be ready to pay d price. It takes by d grace of God for ur effort to be recognise
Re: What Makes A Genius? by biina: 7:09am On Mar 17, 2010
There is no such thing as a genius  grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Direct Entry Form For 2010/2011 / Tasued Post Ume / Jamb 2nd Of October Deadline Is 2 Scare University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.