Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,588 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Ugochinyere Anazodo- The Visionary - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ugochinyere Anazodo- The Visionary (819 Views)

Visionary Investors See True Business Opportunities Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ugochinyere Anazodo- The Visionary by abumeinben(m): 3:26pm On Mar 05, 2016
I must confess that when I heard about the CEO of Spring Berry Group, I envisioned a man in his fifties or probably sixties. Little did I know that I was in for a shocker. As I walked through the lobby of the beautifully decorated hotel with my Camera man, Tony, to the lounge. We were greeted by two young men. The tall dark man introduced the young man seated to his left as the CEO of Spring Berry Group. I was surprised because that was not how I’d pictured him.
Ugo (as he’s fondly called) was in the company of his longtime friend and business partner, Mr. Ohio. We shook hands and he flashed a boyish smile. The Visionary as I’ve come to know him, is an advocate for the masses, a serial entrepreneur with a burning passion for youth development. A youth himself, this young man is doing great things. This is his philosophy, ideology and vision.
Excerpts

Mikky: Tell us about yourself.

Ugo: My name is Ugochinyere Anazodo, I’m from Anambra state. I’m 38 years old, married with two kids. I studied biochemistry as my first degree, right now I’m doing a course- LLB Law. I’m from a family of six, I’m the fifth. Almost all my family live abroad, seems I’m the only one here to look after my parents. That’s me.

Mikky: I couldn’t help but notice that you said you studied biochemistry, and you’re doing another degree in law, what’s the connection?

Ugo: Well, actually I’ve always loved to be an advocate of the people, it’s a course I want to do to champion the cause for the poor people who cannot get justice, it’s actually for my foundation. That informed my decision to go into law, so I can speak for the poor people.

Mikky: Wow! Nice. So tell us, when did you start Spring Berry Group?

Ugo: Spring Berry Group in the first place is a visionary company, I’ve had this vision since 2000 but we started fully in 2010 that was when it was registered properly. When you have a vision, God gives you revelation, when you have a revelation, it’s easier for everything to fall in place and at the right time.

Mikky: So SBG was conceived in 2000 but started operations in 2010, ten years after, so it was on the pipeline?

Ugo: Yes, we had a plan that the company will be in existence for a long time, the vision will manifest in 2020. We work by vision and we always know when to move.

Mikky: Okay. So what inspired you to start up Spring

Berry Group?

Ugo: Just like I told you, it’s a visionary company. What I mean is that it’s a company that’s bringing a new style of business, it’s a company will revolutionize the way business is done. When God gave me this vision, he said it’s for the youths. The company is not for me alone, there are many other youths that God has raised to work with us. Secondly, how do I put this now, (Pauses) My father told me to always be patients, never to take short cuts or look for quick wealth, it will only lead to destruction. He said this life has principles, if you wanna be successful, you have to play by the rules. He gave me an instance, he said in china, people who are rich are manufacturers- they manufacture different things. While in Nigeria, the rich are the politicians who have stolen public funds. These are the things SBG has come to change. We want to inspire the youth, change their mentality and make them believe in themselves, they can be whatever they want to be.

Mikky: Funny to hear you say this, you’re a youth yourself. It’s nice to see a youth trying to help and inspire other youths.

Ugo: Yes, I do not manage family business. I started this company from the scratch. When you have a vision, God directs you on what to do. For instance, (turns to his friend seated on his right) I just got a call a few moments ago, someone wants to donate a piece of land for our tomato paste. Everything falls in place when you have a revelation.

Mikky: Talking about the Tomato plant. How many companies make up Spring Berry Group and what are they into?

Ugo: Okay! Actually Spring Berry Group has 12 companies. (Laughs) That’s why I said they are visionary companies. Right now six of the companies are very active. We have Spring Well Oil and Gas, Spring Properties, Spring Connect, Absolute Care, Spring Consulting, I Believe Agro Resources, Spring Engineering Services. They are more.

Mikky: I notice that Spring Berry Group has foothold in almost all the sectors of the economy, how do you manage these companies, and there challenges, if yes how do you handle them?

Ugo: That’s the first thing I said here, when God gives you a vision, he didn’t tell you it’s gonna be smooth, he didn’t say there’re not gonna be challenges, but He’s gonna be with you and direct you. The key for this vision to succeed lies on the people. Talking about human capacity development. We are using people who share the same ideologies and vision with Spring Berry Group in running the affairs of the company. In Nigeria we don’t know how to collaborate. SBG is creating that platform for Young people. SBG is a collaborative business with young minds full of ideas running the company. We realize that doing it alone is not the best.

Mikky: Talking about Spring Berry tomato, have you set up a plant for it and have you started producing?

Ugo: Yes we have our own branded tomato paste, Spring Berry Tomato Paste. So many of our products are in the market. Why we are so much interested in tomato is that Nigeria imports more than three to four hundred thousand metric tons of tomato in a year, that’s a huge lot of money running over a hundred to two hundred billion naira in a year. We have a plant situated where the raw produce is.

Mikky: How do you handle times of low patronage, seeing that you have so many business that cuts across all sectors?

Ugo: When we conduct business I always have this mindset that challenges will come, but fortunately for us, all the companies are doing well. For instance our tomato paste is doing well in the market despite the fact that it’s new in the market, the acceptance is overwhelming. Same thing goes for our vegetable oil, we have a factory in my village. That’s why I said when you work by vision, a supernatural force will be compelled to make things work. it’s not as if we don’t have challenges, we do. We also have a Bureau ‘De’ change, the CBN policy affected the business, but because we have integrity we still have our clients and patronage. We also export cassava and generate foreign exchange.

Mikky: Oh, so you have a cassava processing plant as well

Ugo: Yes we do

Mikky: Where is it situated?

Ugo: Oyo state. You see our business is all over the country, in different states. I’ve never been to Oyo, except when I’m passing through, same thing in Jos, I’ve never been to Jos but I have business there. I have competent people that manage things.

Mikky: Okay, you’ve not been to all these places yet you have people working for you. How do you pick your team?

Ugo: It really amazes me honestly. Each and every person I have picked for this vision have turned out to be the right person. We always meet somehow, like Mr. Ohio here, (pointing to his friend on his right) I met him in a conference in 2010 when SGB started operations, someone told me about his integrity because I always look for integrity in people. That makes working with me easier.

Mikky: In Nigeria, a lot of companies lack integrity, what makes Spring Berry Group stand out and what’s your take on companies that lack integrity?

Ugo: Okay! People that have conducted business with Spring Berry Group know that we stand on Integrity and we don’t do business with companies that are shady. We know this is a great challenge facing many companies, we understand that if we’re to sell it’s our integrity that will sell us that is why we have made that our priority.

Mikky: Have you had issues with dud cheques and how did you handle such?

Ugo: Yes we’ve had several issues like that. Just like I’ve said you know Nigerians lack integrity, Nigerians can sign any kind of agreement you (all laughed), they write cheques knowing fully well that they will not honour it. We’ve had these problems but we try to reduce our risk exposure. We take them to court but most times we try to help them (fraudulent companies). We know there is no debt you cannot pay, we try to change their mentality. We give people products and they give us dud cheques but we still encourage them. For example maybe the cost of our products was on the high side and that was why you defaulted in payment, we can bring down the price. We have the market already. We can do business with you again.

Mikky: So rather than cutting them off you help them pay their debt and get back on their feet.

Ugo: Yes, we encourage them and help them do the right thing. It’s never late to be right.

Mikky: Wow, a lot of companies will not try what you’re doing.

Ugo: (Laughs). That’s why I said SBG is not a money making business, we’re here to provide services. That’s it.

Mikky: We’ve talked about the different companies and how you manage them. What would you say has been your biggest achievement so far?

Ugo: Our greatest achievement is motivating the youths and changing their mindset. In fact the cassava business was actually brought about by a youth. He was a corps member who usually does electrical fencing in my house. One day, after he was through, I engaged him in a discussion and that was how he suggested the business and I keyed into it and he’s the one handling it. I was able to change his mind, instead of looking for a job after service, he’s now managing a company. To me that is our greatest achievement, to nurture ideas from young people.

Mikky: So your greatest achievement is nothing tangible, rather it is the fulfilment in knowing that you’re changing the lives of young Nigerians.

Ugo: You’re right there.

Mikky: Does SBG carry out CSR?

Ugo: Yes we do engage in CSR. We have our foundation, Absolute care for free medical service. We’re also looking into building our own hospitals, schools and make it access free for Nigerians.

Mikky: Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Ugo: God inspires me a lot. I also have role models. Look for someone that has succeeded in life and model your life around him/her. For me I have role models from the bible, Abraham, David. These are my role models. I also have living role models as well, Bishop Oyedepo, Aliko Dangote and my Pastor Tony Irapo. These are men that are doing great things and also have passion for the youth.

Mikky: Indeed, it’s highly important that one has role models. With your busy schedule, how do you find time to relax?

Ugo: Yes I relax, health is wealth. There’s something I do and I’m sorry for it, I put my phones on silent sometimes when I feel the need to relax. I check the calls and get back to them. I’m not really an exercise person, my wife complains about this a lot (all laughs). I’ve registered in a couple of gym but I never follow through. I also relax by seeing movies.

Mikky: Where do you see SBG in the next five years?

Ugo: SBG is a journey and there are so many things we are delving into. God directs us and we move according to his pace, so in the next five years SBG will be an international brand that the world will reckon with.

Mikky: It’s been nice listening to you talk about the ideology and philosophy of SBG, so what advice do you have for budding entrepreneur who want to start their own business or are already running their business?

Ugo: Well, you have to have a relationship with God so that He can give you direction. You need to know what God has called you to do. In your industry, look for genuine people who have succeeded in that field and learn from them so you have proper growth.

Mikky: Wow, it’s been a pleasure chatting with you and we hope to have more discussions with you in the future as SBG attains greater heights.

Ugo: You’re welcome. Anytime.

http://probitasreport.com/ugochinyere-anazodo-visionary/

(1) (Reply)

Get Trained On CCTV Installation & Maintenance / The Pr/success Lesson I Learnt From Etisalat-samuel Olatunji (bigsam) / Who Got The ICRC (red Cross) Acknowledgement Msg?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.