Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones (28147 Views)

James Ocholi's Dead Body (Graphic Photo) / The Car Crash That Killed James Ocholi (Photos) / James Ocholi Is Dead (Minister Of Labour, State) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Beadex1(m): 9:33am On Mar 07, 2016
Fix more roads you said make it motorable but tomorrow some over sabi people will criticize fixing of old roads but Call for new roads while The old roads are death trap ....RIP to him
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by ajisebioyo(m): 9:33am On Mar 07, 2016
One other aspect is that the man, the wife and their son may have been sitting at the back and with our culture in Nigeria where the back seat occupants dont usually wear their seat belts. This could have responsible for several thrown arround of the back seat occupants resulting to eventual death. I think FRSC should start enforcing the seat belt at the back as well. RIP to the deads and may God console the reamining of the families. cry
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by jaydee87(m): 9:33am On Mar 07, 2016
its sad cos just two days ago it was listed among the worst roads in Nigeria... now I hope the govt will act fast... rip to the dead...
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by superstar1(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2016
Mr Cramjones you were in government for how many years, which of this did you achieved?
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by oglalasioux(m): 9:39am On Mar 07, 2016
flamingREED:

God has said:
1. What a man sows shall he reap - Gal. 6:7

If we do not fix the roads, we will reap the myriad injuries that shall accrue from such neglect.
He has ordered us to subdue the earth, if we fail to, the earth will subdue us.

2. God has said 'he that rules over men must be just and rule in the fear of God'..-2 Sam. 23:3.

If this is obeyed, there will be no looting and diversion of funds for road construction into the bank of utopia.

Consequently, there will be no road accidents.

Even in your family, if you fail to provide for your wife and children, you're referred to as an infidel and have denied the faith no matter your Christian devotion cum profession- Paul.

My man, our God is too noble to be associated with such a vain and carefree assumption.

Your failure to know God is the reason for your calamities and woes rather...

Whoever follows God does good, lives good, is honest and is a blessing

[color=][/color][s][/s]Your failure to know God is the reason for your calamities and woes rather...

I enjoyed your reasoning until you spoilt it again with the god factor.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by bigtt76(f): 9:40am On Mar 07, 2016
In addition, I would like to add the following

1. Encourage the use of seat belts ....only God can tell if the late minister or his family members had theirs on. The driver and PA survived most likely due to the seat belts and airbags in front undecided

2. FRSC ensure a strict and thorough auditing of drivers in this country for their knowledge of driving under pressure or extreme condition.

3. FRSC should endeavor to regulate and enforce speed limits in this country

4. FRSC should be stationed on most roads to test for drivers driving under the influence (Especially on Lekki Axis) no weekend passes without one or two vehicles involved in some form of accidents.

MrAboki:

[b]Negro puleeeze.

1. Burst tire happens even on smooth roads. As much as I agree that we need to fix our roads, we also need to look into the proliferation of made in China tyres and fake tyres as well. As I type, there are a lot of them in our market ever since the Federal government banned the importation of second hand tyres. These Tyres are called China tyres and even the sellers would tell you they are of a lesser quality to the other top brand tyres.

Also, our commuters need to also develop the habit of carrying out regular checks on their cars and tyres especially before a road trip.

Another thing is to control the speed being plyed on our highways. I remember an over loaded Honda CR-V (3 at the back, 2 in front plus driver) doing speeds in excess of 160 on the bad portion of the Lagos - Benin expressway. I kept wondering what would happen if they had a Tyre blow out..

2. This was an interstate highway not a city limit highway. Even in the U.S and other developed countries, Paramedics dont just sit on the interstate waiting.

The leaves were a stop gap measure pending the arrival of the Police and other emergency responders.

3. That hospital must have been a private (small practice) hospital not capable of handling such an emergency. That said, we still need to fix our general hospitals too.

Ambulances as well and Ambulance attendants abroad can carry out small surgeries inside the Ambulance even before you arrive the hospital, but in Nigeria, ambulances are just for transportation.

What I would add to your third paragraph would be Air Medevac. Infact, all our emergency responders (Police, Ambulance and maybe even the Fire Service) should have an active Air wing to carry out faster evacuations in emergency situations. Our General Hospitals should also be equipped with Helipads to accommodate these Helos as well.

Generally speaking, our Lacadesical approach in this country to everything has got to change. [/b]
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Rexleo(m): 9:42am On Mar 07, 2016
My brother what we have in Nigeria is criminal neglect.i work in ibadan and live in Lagos.u won't believe I don turn James bond for road.i just lost two firestone tyres due massive port holes on that road.what am saying is that we should not allow this people take us for a ride anymore,on oba acran road there is a massive port hole in the middle of the road and you have a govt checking people's. Papers and slaming them with fines of 60,000 naira.the pathetic thing on Lagos ibadan is that u have FRSC standing not far from that portion.we are in serious mess man.i weep for my country.

1 Like

Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by oglalasioux(m): 9:44am On Mar 07, 2016
pee777:

Sorry, God is not a killer! It's the devil that kills through the wickedness of Men.

Apart from the idea of the devil I and you are saying the same thing.

If you read my post again you'll understand I didn't say God is a killer. What I meant was that men do evil (like diverting the commonwealth meant for roads) and when their actions result to disaster they attribute it to God's will. Circa; the Muslims.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 07, 2016
SPEEEEEED!!!!! Stop running at speeds with ur family... pleaaassssseeeee!!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by jpphilips(m): 10:01am On Mar 07, 2016
cramjones:
It was with a heavy heart that I heard about the death of Minister Ocholi and family. It is indeed a tragic news to his immediate family, the Federal Executive Council, the APC-led government, and most especially, the people of Nigeria who lost a first class asset. He would surely be missed.

Beyond Minister Ocholi's death, what many Nigerians did not know was that on the same day more than 100 other people died as a result of car crashes in Nigeria. Using the World Health Organization's recent data, Nigeria has one of the worst road traffic safety record, ranking 149th out of 184 countries studied by the World Health Organization. Why is this so? And what can we do to reduce these fatalities? We can certainly do a lot more to improve safety on our roads. While acknowledging that we all need to play our parts by wearing seat belts, driving within speed limits, obeying traffic signs etc. I would want to point out the most expedient commonsense things the Nigerian government must do to keep all of us safe and reduce this abysmal record.

1. Simple - Fix the roads! It seems to me from the narration about James Ocholi's case, there was a tire burst which led the SUV to somersault. There are many "death traps" on our roads. We have been relegated to being called "expert drivers" only if we develop techniques to dodge pot holes at high speed! I drove from Jos to Abuja recently and saw a Vetra sedan car who had just passed our SUV slip into a pot hole swerved off the road and caught fire. All passengers in the car, numbering about four were tragically burnt to ashes. It was one of the most horrific sights I have seen. It is no fluke that countries in the Western Hemisphere averages 6 per 100,000 fatalities and we stand at about 618 per 100,000 fatalities attributable to road crashes. To digress a bit, maternal mortality in Nigeria is same number as road fatalities, that is about 600 deaths per 100,000 live births, however, that is story for another day. If our government constantly fail to fix our highways, expand them and enforce traffic rules on its usage, the numbers would only go up, as population increases.

2. Paramedics/Road side emergency response: An image that tells the whole story, was the horrific image of Minister Ocholi's body covered with leaves. Most times during accidents like this all you see is a crowd gathered, with their hands on their heads muttering things like "Jesus!" "Chineke!" "This life!", others get busy with fanning the victims of the accidents. Some even get themselves entangled with the accident victims getting stained with their blood and carrying them carelessly sometimes even inadvertently severing a fractured C4 or C5 spine and killing the victim. My point is, we don't even have a clue of what first aid it. One would have thought that with the Boko Haram insurgency, the government would have created a program to deal with bomb and road fatalities. None of that exists. There is just nothing. According to the American Society for Orthopedic and Trauma Surgeons, over 50% of road traffic accident victims can survive if they get medical attention between 7 - 10 minutes. Are FRCS trained in advanced trauma and life support? Do their vehicles have facilities for emergency transfusions, minor surgical procedures on sight etc? This must change. And if the Buhari government and the Minister of Health seeks to gain any mileage in the CHANGE agenda, Minister Ocholi's death should at least spur some form of political will to change the status quo.

3. Hospitals: It was said that the Minister's wife who was in critical condition, and was rushed to the near by hospital, called Doka Hospital. As someone described the hospital to me, "that hospital is a S***t hole, it is worse than a refuse bin". We are good in building new buildings, but bad with building systems. The state of our health care is so dysfunctional, that even if you go to a hospital the broken system either do not even have any capacity whatsoever to help, some who have very little capacity, drive their patients away in the name of referrals. A survey done just last year by USAID on 15 Nigerian teaching hospitals, showed that none had defibrillators in their casualty departments. We must again reexamine how we ought to build a working health care system. Granted, some can afford to fly to Germany, and would careless about our hospitals, however, Minister Ocholi's wife death reminds us that in medicine, some things cannot wait. It needs urgent, emergent care. A 6 hour air ambulance flight to Germany cannot save at that point.

I wish the Ocholi family the fortitude to bear this irreplaceable loss, and I hope the Government of President Mohammadu Buhari will learn a thing or two from this traggic event.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

-CramJones

@CramJones, FRSC does not have an accident Investigation Bureau, if they did, the best in the world will not come up with the tire claptrap in less than 24hrs.
Do you have any idea how long it takes to reproduce an accident scene? yet you bought the nonsense spewed by FRSC who perhaps drew the conclusion based on a burst tire on site. A roll over vehicle is exposed to sharp debris that can puncture the tire, it doesn't mean that a burst tire caused the accident.
Mere looking at the pictures, the curtain side airbag deployed from the secondary node which is a fail safe for SRS systems the only thing that would cause that is that some occupants were not wearing seat belts, Ocholi's lifeless body in the bush support that theory. Else he would be strapped to his seat inside with perhaps major neck injuries due to the roof cave in.
It is unclear what caused the accident should be the right narrative, the so called FRSC has neither the expertize nor resources to determine the cause of an accident in such short notice.

Speed should be the first culprit in this case.

People like you make the outside world think Nigerians are goats.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by josite: 10:02am On Mar 07, 2016
let us be real.our driving habit in Nigerian is very bad and being mindful of poor conditions of Nigerian roads and the fact that in case of emergencies help is not near,why not control and reduce your speed especially when driving jeeps.jeeps because of high clearance from the ground has a high probability of somersaulting when faced with a challenge.

Again,if blessings are real,curses are also real and we need constantly do a re examination of our acts and actions.learnt the guy was chairman of a quasi judicial body,legal practitioners disciplinary committee,what his antecedents were in that role i would not know.

There is no effective prayer for the dead,may this loss streghtns those they left behind and my it also strengthen their resolve to learn the one thing that is needful in this life and do it.

i believe like every actor,they have played their part and quit the state and like awo said"weep not for me,weep for yourself"
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 07, 2016
repogirl:

This should be a wake up call. All you politicians, Honourables, Senators, Ministers and presidents that keep going abroad for treatment, the day will come when you might not be able to reach the US, UK, Germany in time ooooo and you might find your last hope is a general hospital.

Restructure and equip our hospitals, it's for your own good, that of your children and the nation generally.

A word is enough for the .....

Exactly my thoughts. God help us all. May their souls and that of others wasted on our highways, rest in peace.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by ProudOlodo: 10:14am On Mar 07, 2016
benuejosh:
For any good to take place sacrifice must be done.
With his death, I believe he has become or has being used as the sacrificial lamb to better the road conditions of the country.

This is also the first shot at the minister for transport.
I really wish I would be wrong but learning lessons from things that happen is one tough task for our government, even when one of their own is involved
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by jpphilips(m): 10:20am On Mar 07, 2016
LightofEarendil:
I think a good lesson to learn here is to pay attention to our cars, especially tires and to drive at a controlled speed. While we wait and push the government to fix the road and provide other services. There are things only we can do for ourselves.

There are already enough dangers on our road than for us to add more complication. Obeying simple car safety rules is also critical so that if an accident happens, we would have at least reduced the chance of death as much as we can.

I learn this from a Road Safety officer. The higher your speed, the higher the chance of death. 110km/h is the most reasonable to maintain. When travelling I always maintain a 110km/h speed no matter how smooth and clear the road is. I leave nothing to chance.

Also, using a belt is a must! As much as possible, avoid situations where you or anyone have to not use the seat belt.

Lastly, patience and self-restrain is key.

When Nigerians hardly use cruise control, how do you expect them to maintain a steady velocity? this minister wont be the last, trust me on that!
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by helloabby: 10:29am On Mar 07, 2016
Repairing road is an essential way to get rich. God bless you.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by lekkie073(m): 10:43am On Mar 07, 2016
jpphilips:

@CramJones, FRSC does not have an accident Investigation Bureau, if they did, the best in the world will not come up with the tire claptrap in less than 24hrs.
Do you have any idea how long it takes to reproduce an accident scene? yet you bought the nonsense spewed by FRSC who perhaps drew the conclusion based on a burst tire on site. A roll over vehicle is exposed to sharp debris that can puncture the tire, it doesn't mean that a burst tire caused the accident.
Mere looking at the pictures, the curtain side airbag deployed from the secondary node which is a fail safe for SRS systems the only thing that would cause that is that some occupants were not wearing seat belts, Ocholi's lifeless body in the bush support that theory. Else he would be strapped to his seat inside with perhaps major neck injuries due to the roof cave in.
It is unclear what caused the accident should be the right narrative, the so called FRSC has neither the expertize nor resources to determine the cause of an accident in such short notice.
no mind d crackjones..... its easy to blame d govt .....

when we d masses contibute a larger percentage to d problem
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Nathanieloo7(m): 11:28am On Mar 07, 2016
blessings in disguise,urgent attention is needed at calabar/ ITU road and aba to ikot ekpene roads this roads are death traps
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by annamaria: 11:53am On Mar 07, 2016
In addition @ OP, the use of seat belts is not something a lot of our big men practice when they drive those their SUVs. As educated and exposed as many of our Nigerian "ogas" are, they do not appreciate the importance of being strapped to their seats as an additional safety measure.

Let's not forget the role of Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) in allowing the importation of substandard tyres into the country. Many have died as a result of these tyres.

If you want to begin to analyse the challenges bedevilling different sectors of our society, you'll be sad.

A very painful loss for the family. May God comfort those left behind.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by djlongi1987: 12:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
If it's a poor man that had dis accident, no one would have heard anything bt bcus it's prominent man see how people are giving advise of good roads n good tyres lol.. Naija
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by Amhappy(f): 12:33pm On Mar 07, 2016
We can reduce the number of accidents on our roads by safety practices and infrastructural development. However instead of doing that we keep preaching that accidents happen all over the world. In Nigeria,we make excuses and practically do nothing. RIP Ocholis.
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by DobraDobra: 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
I paray God give d family d strenght to bear this horror and give them reasons to smile again. May the dead find peace with dia maker and have a sweet rest. 2 majors things that cause this accident to lead to fatality is high speed and d inability of the driver to stop d SUV after a burst tire. We don't learnt d latter in driving school experice and common sense will teach you that . People panic after a burst cause of the noise d vibration and d car going wrong direction any 1 second action taking by d driver here determins their survival hoping d speed is not out of this world. Average drivers don't know wat to do after a burst dat include most government and private drivers no re training once u have license that's d end. You there driving tell me what you will do to stop a car on a top speed with a burst tire with out fatality or minimal crash. Again may d dead find peace
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by segalex: 3:56pm On Mar 07, 2016
The health sector probably suffers the worst neglect of all the sectors in Nigeria.
In my hospital, a general hospital for that matter, we don't have an ambulance and I've been complaining from the first day I was posted to this hospital but nothing has been done.
Just last night, I had to carry patients in my car to a tertiary hospital, two motorcycles had head on collision with two of sustaining severe head injuries, since my hospital doesn't have the necessary facilities to manage such cases, I had to refer them after stabilisation but it took these people eternity to get a vehicle so I had no choice than to transport them in my own car leaving the hospital with no doctor for the period of my to and fro.
Sometimes I get frustrated working under such conditions, patients who had no reason to die have died due to the poor state of most of these hospitals and I've repeatedly asked myself, what is the value of human life in Nigeria?
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by idupaul: 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
jpphilips:

Every accident in Nigeria must be attributed to burst tire ..what the he'll is a burst tire . That SUV clearly lost control due to something we else and not the usual FRSC narrative of burst tire
Re: What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones by brojoshua: 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
If post is true, do not most of these leaders loot the money that was supposed to be used to do these roads and the other things but will be running to Dubai for holidays and other foreign countries for medical treatment, to the countries of those who did their own places well after they have destroyed their country for others and for themselves too. Someone actually said he who points a finger at another person, the remaining four are pointed to himself. Yoruba also says, 'do not throw a stone in the market for it could actually hit a family member of yours'. He who in the dark defecate on the road, many will curse him in the day. They that looted the common wealth of all that is meant for the poor, aged, mad people, handicaps, children, and so on, shall never know peace unless they turn from their evil ways and return all they looted. There is no peace for the wicked. Will not God judge every evil doers unless for those who turn from their evil ways

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obaseki & Shuaibu's Ward-To-Ward Campaign In Ovia West / Gulak Was Killed On Official Duty To Owerri As Consultant To Constitution Review / Unknown Gunmen Attack Police Unit In Imo (Video, Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.