Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: (693 Views)

Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / Contradictions Analyzed:bible And Quran. / Why Kjv Is The Real Bible And Niv, Esv, Nlt And Rest Are Corrupted (2) (3) (4)

Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by ladygaga(f): 10:20am On Jul 17, 2009
goodday people , pls i would really like someone to explain to me what the bible really says about taking alcohol, does it say we shouldnt drink at all or in moderation, ??
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by ttalks(m): 10:24am On Jul 17, 2009
Moderation is the key word.
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by debosky(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2009
Wrong question!

First of all, what is your motivation to drink or not to drink?

I Corinthians 10:31[i] So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.[/i]

This is the question we should ask ourselves before doing ANYTHING as it lies at the core of our motives/actions.

Also instructive is Matthew 22: 36-40

“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”
37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’[e] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[f] 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Is your drinking/not drinking unto the Lord? Are you harming/negatively affecting your neighbour by drinking or not drinking?

Once you examine these questions in light of the scriptures, you will know what to do in every situation

The bible is not prescriptive on this matter, but gives different examples to show you the different contexts in which consumption/otherwise has effects.
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Abuzola(m): 10:33am On Jul 17, 2009
Drink alcohol says the Bible
Proverb 31:6-7
Give strong drink to him who is perishing and wine to those in bitter distress, let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their mysery no more'
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by tubabie(f): 11:10am On Jul 17, 2009
Abuzola:

Give strong drink to him who is perishing and wine to those in bitter distress, let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their mysery no more'

Yes the Bible says that but linking all texts in the Bible, the conclusion boils down to our motives and the effect it has on your love for God and neighbours like Debosky said earlier.
Even the passage you quoted from in full is below:
Prov 31:4-7
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine.
Rulers should not crave alcohol.
5 For if they drink, they may forget the law
and not give justice to the oppressed.

6 Alcohol is for the dying,
and wine for those in bitter distress.
7 Let them drink to forget their poverty
and remember their troubles no more.

While allowing the intake of alcohol , it also seeks to discourage it. It should not get to the stage where it becomes a craving or addiction and beclouds your good judgement or inhibits you from serving God.
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 17, 2009
moderation is the key word, there is no were in the bible that forbids drinking, even Jesus and the apostles used to drink.
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Abuzola(m): 4:06pm On Jul 17, 2009
Lmao. Thanks, star, gulder , make una go shak am
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 17, 2009
Abuzola:

Lmao. Thanks, star, gulder , make una go shak am

Na harp me dey shak sha cheesy
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by ladygaga(f): 9:50am On Jul 20, 2009
, thankyou people!!!!!!!!!!!i get it moderation is the key.
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by dafidixone(m): 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2009
Christian are the Children of King of Heaven (God), as a child of King we are kings here on earth by the Authority of Jesus Christ.

The book of Proverbs says: Strong wine is not for Kings,
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 05, 2009
OLAADEGBU! What is ur take, please??
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 05, 2009
OLAADEGBU! What is ur judgment, please??
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Tudor6(f): 9:55pm On Aug 05, 2009
It's only a drunkard that'll be asking for the judgement of OLAADEGBU, that guy talks the most nonsense- stay of the bottle brein!
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 05, 2009
Debosky's summed it up brilliantly!

Abuzola:

[size=14pt]Give strong drink to him who is perishing[/size] and wine to those in bitter distress, let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their mysery no more'

that's not true going by the verse you urself quoted. So you mean the bible advocates us to perish? because that's the only reason it allows you to drink alchohol. grin
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by FMK(m): 7:10am On Aug 06, 2009
Abuzola:

careful guy. bible is a razor blade you must know how to handle it if you do so like a kid it wil harm you i see that you take this verse as your key to go on drinking
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Tudor6(f): 9:10am On Aug 06, 2009
debosky:

Wrong question!

First of all, what is your motivation to drink or not to drink?

I Corinthians 10:31[i] So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.[/i]

This is the question we should ask ourselves before doing ANYTHING as it lies at the core of our motives/actions.

Sharaap there jor!
What is this unrealistic rubbish you've written?

When you watch and support your Ass-nal football club is it to the glory of god?
when you watch secular movies how does that glorify god.

Take this crap and go tell it to the goats. . . .
Also instructive is Matthew 22: 36-40

“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”
37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’[e] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[f] 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Is your drinking/not drinking unto the Lord? Are you harming/negatively affecting your neighbour by drinking or not drinking?

Once you examine these questions in light of the scriptures, you will know what to do in every situation

The bible is not prescriptive on this matter, but gives different examples to show you the different contexts in which consumption/otherwise has effects.
Is your constant watching of fabregas score own goals unto the lord?
Howabout viewing Mrs Almunia concede goals like a basket- is it love?
Re: Bible And Consumption Of Alcohol!: by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 06, 2009
Tudór,
Why should i stay off the bottle. Are u? cheesy

The Power Of Praise / What Is This Thing Called Destiny? / Can We Pray Together