Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones (39139 Views)

Faleke Visits Ocholi's Family - Touching Photos / Saraki, Senators On A Condolence Visit To Ocholi's Family (Photos) / Ocholi's Family Suspects Foul Play In His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 08, 2016
This is not the first time we would hear things like "automatic employment" or "automatic scholarships" in Nigeria. It has indeed become a national banter in the Nigerian political space. The latest one being PMB to the family members of the late James Ocholi, SAN. Let us see why this makes the government look bad, and why actions like this continually affirms that Nigeria is a failed state!

Firstly, what does automatic employment really mean? It simply means that whether qualified or unqualified, you would be given "job". This further shows that an appreciable proportion of the the work done in our Ministries are performed by unqualified people. In a country where actual work gets done, would never have any allowance for "automatic employment". Employment in any serious economy is based on merit and capability. The keyword is "capability". Even if you knew someone to get the job, you must be capable.

Secondly, this phenomenum shows that the job position was not needed in the first place. it was created based on emotions and the need to "compensate" a political family. What this means is that there would be virtually no work being done, but salary paid. Perhaps that is why there is no need to prove capability or qualification, because the position is simply created to pay someone salary, and not out of need to drive the goals of the ministry forward.

Thirdly, this attitude brings us to the big picture of the rot in our civil service. I met a young man recently who told me he worked in the civil service in Abuja, and only shows up to work twice a month! There is absolutely no how Nigeria can develop if we see government jobs as places to earn salary rather than to work. When work is not performed nothing moves. Could this be why Lagos seems to be the only city that is a bit insulated by the recession because they work for their money and do not rely solely on oil money where less work is needed?

Could the western world be right about their stereotype of blacks being lazy? Is it by fluke that Japan, South Korea, Germany and the rest of the pack are where they are today, while we wallow in our mediocrity, nepotism and lacadesical approach to work? GEJ did the same "automatic employment" to the family of those murdered as by the past Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, through the immigration employment scam. Rather than bring the killer minister to justice he opted for a murderer to remain in his cabinet and "solved" the problem by "automatic employment".

Can Buhari and his government take a different turn, by bringing to light and fixing our dead emergency response system, dilapidated highways, and most especially fix our comatose, non-functional health care system. Won't this be a much better way to honor the family of the late James Ocholi?

I wish the Ocholi family well. This is not meant to attack them, but to highlight a fundamental problem with our system. May peace and comfort anchor this grieving family, and may the souls of the departed rest in peace.

-CramJones

182 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by ShakurM(m): 10:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
Where was appointments and compensations for sons and daughters of those whom bad roads claimed their lives on a daily basis?

I agree. After presidential condolences, I don't see why there should be an extra privilege simply because his father was a minister of the federation. I don't even know who he was until he became the departed.

Instead of them to start road safety campaigns and the repair of our roads on a grand scale, they only scratched the surface. It took the death of one of their own for them to recognise other lives matter on the road.

128 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by resty4(m): 10:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
Ds is corruptn.

12 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by thesicilian: 10:26pm On Mar 08, 2016
This is what I have always talked about, a great percentage of the decisions being made today by those running this country are just knee-jerk reactions. A minister dies by road accident today, you give automatic employment to the children. Tomorrow Boko Haram kills an army general and you give automatic salary for life to the family. Meanwhile the root causes of the problems are being ignored.
I wonder how far we can go with this.

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by scarred9jan(m): 10:27pm On Mar 08, 2016
cramjones:
This is not the first time we would hear things like "automatic employment" or "automatic scholarships" in Nigeria. It has indeed become a national banter in the Nigerian political space. The latest one being PMB to the family members of the late James Ocholi, SAN. Let us see why this makes the government look bad, and why actions like this continually affirms that Nigeria is a failed state!

Firstly, what does automatic employment really mean? It simply means that whether qualified or unqualified, you would be given "job". This further shows that 90% of the work done in our Ministries are performed by unqualified people. In a country where actually work gets done, would never have any allowance for "automatic employment". Employment in any serious economy is based on merit and capability. The keyword is "capability". Even if you knew someone to get the job, you must be capable.

Secondly, this phenomenum shows that the job position was not needed in the first place. it was created based on emotions and the need to "compensate" a political family. What this means is that there would be virtually no work being done, but salary paid. Perhaps that is why there is no need to prove capability or qualification, because the position is simply created to pay someone salary, and not out of need to drive the goals of the ministry forward.

Thirdly, this attitude brings us to the big picture of the rot in our civil service. I met a young man recently who told me he worked in the civil service in Abuja, and only shows up to work twice a month! There is absolutely no how Nigeria can develop if we see government jobs as places to earn salary rather than to work. When work is not performed nothing moves. Could this be why Lagos seems to be the only city that is a bit insulated by the recession because the work for their money and do not rely solely on oil money where not work is needed?

Could the western world be right about their stereotype of blacks being lazy? Is it by fluke that Japan, South Korea, Germany and the rest of the pack are where they are today, while we wallow in our mediocrity, nepotism and lacadesical approach to work? GEJ did the same "automatic employment" to the family of those murdered as by the past Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, through the immigration employment scam. Rather than bring the killer minister to justice he did the so called "automatic employment".

Can Buhari and his government take a different turn, by bringing to light and fixing our dead emergency response system, dilapidated highways, and most especially fix our comatose, non-functional health care system. Won't this be a much better way to honor the family of the late James Ocholi?

I rest my case

-CramJones

Spot on. I think emotional compensation should stop. Afterall the late minister did not die carrying out his official duties.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:27pm On Mar 08, 2016
I agree with you. This is nothing short of a term I hate so much. Unmerited favor. A term flaunted by pastors. How can the country grow if we reward people with Jobs they do not deserve.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 08, 2016
they all hypocrites

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by fiftynaira(m): 10:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
I concur

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Kondomatic(m): 10:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
You are on point cramJones. There's absolutely no reason for that automatic employment, at least not from someone who's waging war against corruption. If you say anything now they will say it is corruption fighting back meanwhile nah this padi padi employment dey kill our nation.

No be Today e start, our Oga appoints people that he trusts whether they have the necessary qualification or not. A (SAN) leads economic team and that Mama that her tongue is bitter and her heart is rock is the minister of women affairs.

I go see how she go take help women.

*modified*

Anything for the driver that died with them?

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Saifullah01: 10:50pm On Mar 08, 2016
I don't think there is a big deal about this. The federal government awards kids of a deceased federal minister. It's just similar to a laudable legislation in the state of New York, US - regents award to children of deceased police officers in the state of New York ( http://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s16 ).What I think we should be talking about is standardising these awards and defining its parameters.

And for the minister's son employment, it's no coincidence that it's the ministry of justice that is offering him the job and not the ministry of labour where his father worked. Obviously due deligence and background checks would have been done as per his qualification before the announcement of the offer. #justmy2cents

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by PRYCE(m): 10:55pm On Mar 08, 2016
Sense!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by dearsly(m): 10:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
if politicians dying will create jobs...den let them die more!!!!...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheNonce: 10:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
angry

Na wa for naija oh? I drove down from abuja to kd this evening and noticed that "ferma" had blocked 1 lane after jere as per they were doing some work! Only for me to be returning to abuja this night and I saw some "beautiful multicoloured triple road lane lights" stretching for about 3km that illuminates the lane from a far distance for any drivers that are not blind or drunk to see clearly!

So I ask! Is it only when a minister "kicks the bucket" that such road safety innovations or measures are taken?

This eye service no get part 2 sha!

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by obailala(m): 11:12pm On Mar 08, 2016
I absolute concur with this. It is meaningless, needless and ill thought to grant automatic employment or scholarships to the rich children of a rich man all because the man was a minister. Besides, what happens to the children of the thousands of poor Nigerians that lose thier lives regularly on Nigerian roads?

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by mynd1(f): 11:23pm On Mar 08, 2016
Hmm!
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by fistonati(m): 11:43pm On Mar 08, 2016
Pls its too early for all this, atleast his family is still mourning. Show some respects

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by ThankGodEdeh(m): 12:04am On Mar 09, 2016
Spot on Cramjones. This is an act of partiality, nepotism and selectiveness by the government. What is the fate of other Nigerians who loose their bread winners daily to the cold hands of death?
Will the government grant them automatic employment or scholarship as well?
All well meaning Nigerians must vehemently condemn this act by the government.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by lekjons(m): 12:26am On Mar 09, 2016
most persons in this thread're confused with the notion "all men are equal" which is a big lie, all men can never be equal, it hasn't happen and it'll never happen.. a king can never be equal with a chief, nor a chief with an ordinary citizen.. what the FG has done for the children doesn't change anything(whether they do it or not).. their father has worked hard for he and his family to be recognized.. becoming a minister in Nigeria isn't beans..

leopards don't eat with cats!!

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:00am On Mar 09, 2016
lekjons:
most persons in this thread're confused with the notion "all men are equal" which is a big lie, all men can never be equal, it hasn't happen and it'll never happen.. a king can never be equal with a chief, nor a chief with an ordinary citizen.. what the FG has done for the children doesn't change anything(whether they do it or not).. their father has worked hard for he and his family to be recognized.. becoming a minister in Nigeria isn't beans..

Does that relate to the topic? Is anyone saying that ordinary Citizens should compare to your so called big men?

We are talking with respect of moving the Nation forward. If the country continues rewarding people positions based on Connection and Positions of who they know, or Sentiments, will the Nation move forward?

I am glad Crude is crashing. Let me see how many of them will last there. Now the Lagos government wants to tax Artisans and House Helps. I guess they are not working hard. Only those in Government worked hard.

This jobs compensated to the Children, did they work hard for it?

I do not mean to disrespect the dead but it is time we start doing things right in this country. What we are facing now, the economic hardship is a result of mismanagement.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:03am On Mar 09, 2016
lekjons:

The father worked hard. Their father achieved. Does that mean we should cart away positions to people who do not merit them?

No one is saying the Children need the jobs to survive. We are saying do things the right way and stop mismanagement.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 09, 2016
i agree with the op,Nigeria will remain a shithole if we put emotion before merit.

spot on op.

5 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Obipat(m): 2:04am On Mar 09, 2016
Pmb is human being with animal brain. A typical almijiri, what do you expect? Did he go to school? Senile president

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by bokohalal(m): 2:16am On Mar 09, 2016
While I agree with @Cramjones, to an extent, South Korea is however not a good example in this instance. The country is one of the most nepotistic countries in the world. Powerful families run the country. Check CHAEBOL.
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by idris4r83(m): 2:25am On Mar 09, 2016
True talk

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by judey1992(m): 4:34am On Mar 09, 2016
james Ocholi everywhere. oooo so many families hv seen worst. how far for the stampede casualties, chibok girls parents? and others which i cant remember. they must hv given the a state to run.

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by BaddieKay(f): 5:10am On Mar 09, 2016
Fixing that road in memory of the man and all those who lost their lives there should've been the best option but all the Govt thinks of is Money Money Money(it can fix all things)

5 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by 989900: 5:16am On Mar 09, 2016
Why would anyone have a problem with this kind gesture to a grieving family?
Have you ever been bereaved before?
BTW, the son is a qualified lawyer called to the bar about a year or 2 ago.

15 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:45am On Mar 09, 2016
989900:
Why would anyone have a problem with this kind gesture to a grieving family?
Have you ever been bereaved before?Be
BTW, the son is a qualified lawyer called to the bar about a year or 2 ago.

Because he gets a position he did not merit. It is as simple as that. Jobs like that should be merited and not gifted.

It is a pity they lost so much but we need sanity to get the right people in the right positions.

7 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Aquariann: 5:49am On Mar 09, 2016
BaddieKay:
Fixing that road in memory of the man and all those who lost their lives there should've been the best option but all the Govt thinks of is Money Money Money(it can fix all things)

You guys keep talking about fixing that road, fixing that road... Abuja-Kaduna expressway is one of the best in the country.

I remember during late Gen Azazi's funeral mass, the officiating bishop said if the East-west road were to be in good shape, Azazi (and Yakowa) probably would not have used the helicopter.

In his addressing speech, former president Jonathan made a comment that statistics from the FRSC showed that, there were more fatal accidents on good road in Nigeria than bad roads.

Truth is, Nigerians are speed freaks on good roads. You need to travel through that road to understand what I'm saying. If you think 140kmp is too fast for a car, then be prepared to see drivers on this route doing 180-200 comfortably, no joke.

We need to change our attitude on highways

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by modath(f): 5:54am On Mar 09, 2016
Some people are programmed to fault anything that doesn't benefit them.

The bereaved Ocholis didn't lose 3 pets for heaven's sake, why are people losing their humanity on altar of "political correctness"? SMH!

People should try & remember James Ocholi had a relationship with the folks in government & not just an average Joe on the street..

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by amaechi1: 5:55am On Mar 09, 2016
Very unfortunate you spend your God's given time to write this rubbish. In the first place are the children not Nigerians? Scholarship and employment are they not part of capacity building? These children has dreams and if the will help them achieve their dreams and aspirations so be it.

On a final note I believe you are just been jealous and mischievous about the whole issue. Even in the united state and other part of western world, soldiers who lost their arms or any part of their body, receives compensation or their family members, either as scholarships or other incentives.
I pray may you never be in ex- minister condition.

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Terrorists Kill Maliya Ibrahim In Borno (Photos) / Tinubu Hails Nigerian Governors Over Supreme Court Ruling On CBN Naira Swap / Lagos State Labour Party Secures Court Order Compelling INEC To Transmit Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.