Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,416 members, 7,830,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones (39149 Views)

Faleke Visits Ocholi's Family - Touching Photos / Saraki, Senators On A Condolence Visit To Ocholi's Family (Photos) / Ocholi's Family Suspects Foul Play In His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:57am On Mar 09, 2016
modath:

Some people are programmed to fault anything that doesn't benefit them.

The bereaved Ocholis didn't lose 3 pets for heaven's sake, why are people losing their humanity on altar of "political correctness"? SMH!

This is not about politics. Can you imagine John F. Kennedy's son getting automatic employment after his dad was assassinated?

I repeat, it is a tragic loss and our hearts goes to the family. I pray God gives the family the pain and grace to bear such terrible losses.

Now, what about the driver that lost his life? Any automatic employment for any of his children?

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by omenka(m): 5:59am On Mar 09, 2016
ShakurM:
Where was appointments and compensations for sons and daughters of those whom bad roads claimed their lives on a daily basis?

I agree. After presidential condolences, I don't see why there should be an extra privilege simply because his father was a minister of the federation. I don't even know who he was until he became the departed.

Instead of them to start road safety campaigns and the repair of our roads on a grand scale, they only scratched the surface. It took the death of one of their own for them to recognise other lives matter on the road.
You and the Op are absolutely right. There was no need for that. To me, it shows insensitivity on the part of the government towards the plight of the common man.

When I read the story yesterday and saw people commending the government, I just shook my head- it was a poor decision to make. Baba got it wrong on this one. A condolence and perhaps, a befitting burial would have sufficed.

Who compensates the countless number of Nigerians that have been orphaned by road accidents in the past?? Decision just appears too discriminatory.

3 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Aquariann: 6:02am On Mar 09, 2016
989900:
Why would anyone have a problem with this kind gesture to a grieving family?
Have you ever been bereaved before?
BTW, the son is a qualified lawyer called to the bar about a year or 2 ago.

I'm wondering why too. The surprising point to even note is the fact that he wasn't automatically employed by his dad into his ministry.

For those talking about fallen soldiers kids, even recently the army awarded scholarship to them. It's not as though such arrangement were previously not in place, its just fellow Nigerians shortchanging them.

PS: The dude might not even need the employment since his late dad's chambers is in existence or,might have something better doing for himself.

Sometimes its allowed for us to do away with our sense of political correctness and show human empathy. This dude just lost both parents and a younger brother for crying out loud. Except perhaps mountain of fire members, no sane human mind wishes an enemy that fate

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by modath(f): 6:07am On Mar 09, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

This is not about politics. Can you imagine John F. Kennedy's son getting automatic employment after his dad was assassinated?

I repeat, it is a tragic loss and our hearts goes to the family. I pray God gives the family the pain and grace to bear such terrible losses.

Now, what about the driver that lost his life? Any automatic employment for any of his children?

Bros, we won't get into any argument about this cos it won't serve any purpose but I want to ask you just one question,

1. Do you feel the same or exhibit the same reaction when you hear about the demise of someone you know & someone you have zero relationship with?

Call me a bloody female but this doesn't alleviate their suffering.

The Ocholi children didn't gain nothing & it won't provide succor for their souls, their parents could probably have done much more for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by solid3(m): 6:07am On Mar 09, 2016
cramjones:
This is not the first time we would hear things like "automatic employment" or "automatic scholarships" in Nigeria. It has indeed become a national banter in the Nigerian political space. The latest one being PMB to the family members of the late James Ocholi, SAN. Let us see why this makes the government look bad, and why actions like this continually affirms that Nigeria is a failed state!

Firstly, what does automatic employment really mean? It simply means that whether qualified or unqualified, you would be given "job". This further shows that an appreciable proportion of the the work done in our Ministries are performed by unqualified people. In a country where actual work gets done, would never have any allowance for "automatic employment". Employment in any serious economy is based on merit and capability. The keyword is "capability". Even if you knew someone to get the job, you must be capable.

Secondly, this phenomenum shows that the job position was not needed in the first place. it was created based on emotions and the need to "compensate" a political family. What this means is that there would be virtually no work being done, but salary paid. Perhaps that is why there is no need to prove capability or qualification, because the position is simply created to pay someone salary, and not out of need to drive the goals of the ministry forward.

Thirdly, this attitude brings us to the big picture of the rot in our civil service. I met a young man recently who told me he worked in the civil service in Abuja, and only shows up to work twice a month! There is absolutely no how Nigeria can develop if we see government jobs as places to earn salary rather than to work. When work is not performed nothing moves. Could this be why Lagos seems to be the only city that is a bit insulated by the recession because they work for their money and do not rely solely on oil money where less work is needed?

Could the western world be right about their stereotype of blacks being lazy? Is it by fluke that Japan, South Korea, Germany and the rest of the pack are where they are today, while we wallow in our mediocrity, nepotism and lacadesical approach to work? GEJ did the same "automatic employment" to the family of those murdered as by the past Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, through the immigration employment scam. Rather than bring the killer minister to justice he opted for a murderer to remain in his cabinet and "solved" the problem by "automatic employment".

Can Buhari and his government take a different turn, by bringing to light and fixing our dead emergency response system, dilapidated highways, and most especially fix our comatose, non-functional health care system. Won't this be a much better way to honor the family of the late James Ocholi?

I wish the Ocholi family well. This is not meant to attack them, but to highlight a fundamental problem with our system. May peace and comfort anchor this grieving family, and may the souls of the departed rest in peace.

-CramJones

This is a nice write up. But I have a question for you.

What do you think the FG should do for the family aside fixing the road, fixing our health system and probably naming one of such facilities after James Ocholi.

In developed countries, how us this done and what can be done for the family so they know that their late father's service is well appreciated?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by 989900: 6:15am On Mar 09, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

[s]Because he gets a position he did not merit. It is as simple as that. Jobs like that should be merited and not gifted.

It is a pity they lost so much but we need sanity to get the right people in the right positions[/s].
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by modath(f): 6:24am On Mar 09, 2016
omenka:
You and the Op are absolutely right. There was no need for that. To me, it shows insensitivity on the part of the government towards the plight of the common man.

When I read the story yesterday and saw people commending the government, I just shook my head- it was a poor decision to make. Baba got it wrong on this one. A condolence and perhaps, a befitting burial would have sufficed.

Who compensates the countless number of Nigerians that have been orphaned by road accidents in the past?? Decision just appears too discriminatory.

I do not agree with you.... & it's not cos I'm a Stan, but have you tried to imagine this from a work colleague angle?

& let's not forget people react to things based mostly on emotions, James Ocholi wasn't Mr Ocholi down the street, he was a colleague that they've broken bread together nah, haba common menks, you can't expect anything less, .... 2k

Same scenario has played out with a relative of mine who passed on in active duty, the spouse was compensated with a Job...

*will check sef to know if ministers' family dey receive money if dem kpai*

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by joseph1832(m): 6:52am On Mar 09, 2016
modath:

I do not agree with you.... & it's not cos I'm a Stan, but have you tried to imagine this from a work colleague angle?

& let's not forget people react to things based mostly on emotions, James Ocholi wasn't Mr Ocholi down the street, he was a colleague that they've broken bread together nah, haba common menks, you can't expect anything less, .... 2k

Same scenario has played out with a relative of mine who passed on in active duty, the spouse was compensated with a Job...

I must say your post reeks of obvious sentiment and of course, nepotism. Like Omenka said, this is gross insensitivity on the part of PMB.

Government should learn to remove sentiment in its obvious dealings, the man died, he died, period! Many have perished on that same road who compensated them?

4 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by omenka(m): 7:08am On Mar 09, 2016
modath:

I understand all you've said ma'am. Just like you said, people mostly react to these things emotionally. Nigerians would sure sympathise with the family over the incident but trust them to also give the government some knocks over this decision, asking the same question some of us are asking here.

Perhaps they should have allowed this whole dust settle before taking the decision OR they would have done it behind the scenes discreetly.

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 09, 2016
You so much like Ocholi's son shoe? You can have it.
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by gigabyte13: 7:13am On Mar 09, 2016
All l see here is the cry of a WAILER. Tell us the qualification of the boy in question? Fake, hopeless, and jobless journalism everywhere. Which is better, to give him fish or make him fish him self? NONSENSE AND WAILING WRITE UP
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by millhouse: 7:13am On Mar 09, 2016
Spot on

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Immatex(m): 7:40am On Mar 09, 2016
CramJones, you are a professional antagonist!!!!

Nothing others do or is done for others pleases you!!!!

You take pleasure in looking out for microscopic faults!!!!

You always only right in your eyes!!!!

You are a saddest!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by dzaine: 7:52am On Mar 09, 2016
You took the thoughts out of my heart. Where is the automatic employment for others who have lost loved ones on that same road? What are they planning to do about the road. Hypocrites!!

2 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by mrsmith11(m): 7:52am On Mar 09, 2016
I will not totally agree with you in terms of the qualification.
He is a lawyer and have been called to BAR so I think that why he was offer a job under the ministry of justice.

The problem with you is because his the son of an elite/politician but if it were to be a son of the driver you would ve applauded the move/initiative

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Johnny19: 8:05am On Mar 09, 2016
9ce one op. The next move by this Fulani man's administration is dat a Federal Road will be named after him...
That is wot u get wen u vote in an I'll guided president SMH!!!! GEJ noni
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by ChappyChase: 8:10am On Mar 09, 2016
ShakurM:
Where was appointments and compensations for sons and daughters of those whom bad roads claimed their lives on a daily basis?

I agree. After presidential condolences, I don't see why there should be an extra privilege simply because his father was a minister of the federation. I don't even know who he was until he became the departed.

Instead of them to start road safety campaigns and the repair of our roads on a grand scale, they only scratched the surface. It took the death of one of their own for them to recognise other lives matter on the road.
Tell them!!!!!
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by lekkie073(m): 8:15am On Mar 09, 2016
two sides to everything in life...to some ppl it is a wrong move by the govt while to some it is commendable....u guys can keep up the arguments grin
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by fippycbk(m): 8:20am On Mar 09, 2016
Well, he was going to get the job anyway, whether his father died or not...and it sure would have been an "automatic appointment"

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Dahveydson(m): 8:31am On Mar 09, 2016
It is pitiable that people will choose to criticise the empathy showed to the ocholi's by FG.

Political correctness will be the end of us.

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 09, 2016
No Gift from APC is pure
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by banio: 8:34am On Mar 09, 2016
Cramjones U are very right. 9ja is a failed state. Our govt does nothing to better the life of the general public, all they do is 4 themselves only. They always take actions that depicts them as thesame set of criminals, whether GEJ or PMB.

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Ekakamba: 8:40am On Mar 09, 2016
Truth. But even at this automatic employment and scholarship stuffs I still haven't heard nothing 'bout the late minister's driver and aide survivors. Even in death the rich still segregate the poor.

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by rottennaija(m): 8:41am On Mar 09, 2016
ShakurM:

In his own case it wasn't a bad Road that killed them.
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Bhella5(m): 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
amaechi1:
Very unfortunate you spend your God's given time to write this rubbish. In the first place are the children not Nigerians? Scholarship and employment are they not part of capacity building? These children has dreams and if the will help them achieve their dreams and aspirations so be it.

On a final note I believe you are just been jealous and mischievous about the whole issue. Even in the united state and other part of western world, soldiers who lost their arms or any part of their body, receives compensation or their family members, either as scholarships or other incentives.
I pray may you never be in ex- minister condition.
I dont just understand what our yoots are turning into. Cramjones put yourself in their shoe.
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by SOPIGO: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2016
Kondomatic:
You are on point cramJones. There's absolutely no reason for that automatic employment, at least not from someone who's waging war against corruption. If you say anything now they will say it is corruption fighting back meanwhile nah this padi padi employment dey kill our nation.

No be Today e start, our Oga appoints people that he trusts whether they have the necessary qualification or not. A (SAN) leads economic team and that Mama that her tongue is bitter and her heart is rock is the minister of women affairs.

I go see how she go take help women.

*modified*

Anything for the driver that died with them?
Anything for the children of the police Orderly that died with them
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by BlackPeni5: 8:48am On Mar 09, 2016
cramjones:
This is not the first time we would hear things like "automatic employment" or "automatic scholarships" in Nigeria. It has indeed become a national banter in the Nigerian political space. The latest one being PMB to the family members of the late James Ocholi, SAN. Let us see why this makes the government look bad, and why actions like this continually affirms that Nigeria is a failed state!

Firstly, what does automatic employment really mean? It simply means that whether qualified or unqualified, you would be given "job". This further shows that an appreciable proportion of the the work done in our Ministries are performed by unqualified people. In a country where actual work gets done, would never have any allowance for "automatic employment". Employment in any serious economy is based on merit and capability. The keyword is "capability". Even if you knew someone to get the job, you must be capable.

Secondly, this phenomenum shows that the job position was not needed in the first place. it was created based on emotions and the need to "compensate" a political family. What this means is that there would be virtually no work being done, but salary paid. Perhaps that is why there is no need to prove capability or qualification, because the position is simply created to pay someone salary, and not out of need to drive the goals of the ministry forward.

Thirdly, this attitude brings us to the big picture of the rot in our civil service. I met a young man recently who told me he worked in the civil service in Abuja, and only shows up to work twice a month! There is absolutely no how Nigeria can develop if we see government jobs as places to earn salary rather than to work. When work is not performed nothing moves. Could this be why Lagos seems to be the only city that is a bit insulated by the recession because they work for their money and do not rely solely on oil money where less work is needed?

Could the western world be right about their stereotype of blacks being lazy? Is it by fluke that Japan, South Korea, Germany and the rest of the pack are where they are today, while we wallow in our mediocrity, nepotism and lacadesical approach to work? GEJ did the same "automatic employment" to the family of those murdered as by the past Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, through the immigration employment scam. Rather than bring the killer minister to justice he opted for a murderer to remain in his cabinet and "solved" the problem by "automatic employment".

Can Buhari and his government take a different turn, by bringing to light and fixing our dead emergency response system, dilapidated highways, and most especially fix our comatose, non-functional health care system. Won't this be a much better way to honor the family of the late James Ocholi?

I wish the Ocholi family well. This is not meant to attack them, but to highlight a fundamental problem with our system. May peace and comfort anchor this grieving family, and may the souls of the departed rest in peace.

-CramJones

I find it shocking that you have spilled this much truth.

I couldn't agree more.
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by tooman: 8:49am On Mar 09, 2016
cramjones:

-CramJones

I been they vex for you bfor but see how U murdered the case. Nice one Bro.

so what about the ordinary citizens no compensations because no one knows their surname.

1 Like

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by goshen26: 8:49am On Mar 09, 2016
Buhhshit**** so he is the first to die by road accident...
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by MissingBudget: 8:50am On Mar 09, 2016
scarred9jan:

Spot on. I think emotional compensation should stop. Afterall the late minister did not die carrying out his official duties.

And it's not like his family will die of poverty. There are many issues with this, apart from the implication that there's always an available job for the high and mighty when there seem to be none for millions of jobless youths.

2 Likes

Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Kgdavid(m): 8:51am On Mar 09, 2016
thesicilian:
This is what I have always talked about, a great percentage of the decisions being made today by those running this country are just knee-jerk reactions. A minister dies by road accident today, you give automatic employment to the children. Tomorrow Boko Haram kills an army general and you give automatic salary for life to the family. Meanwhile the root causes of the problems are being ignored.
I wonder how far we can go with this.

Misinformationists like you never cease to amaze me. Where and when did boko haram kill a general? Has even boko haram claimed they killed the man? But I see what you're doing... It's quite clever. Repeat this fictional narrative often enough and those who refuse to think will soon accept it as a he truth abi? Keep up the good work
Re: Why PMB Got It Wrong With James Ocholi' family "compensation" - CramJones by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 09, 2016
As persuasive as your speech, I can't toe your line of thought. Compensation means something. It is practised in special circumstances, and here is an example of such that warrants it. I am sure you wouldn't want to be compensated in this kind, but rewarded which is more inclined towards appreciation. Besides, advanced countries practise this even more than we do. You should stop making unverified reference to countries you know so little about. Go read up dude.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EndSARS: Witness Plays Video That Claims Army Shot Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate / Obiajulu Uja Arrested At Abuja Airport Mentally Challenged – Lawyer / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.