Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Why The Poor Should Pay Tax - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Poor Should Pay Tax (1108 Views)

LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population / For Freezing My $15 Million, EFCC Should Pay Me Extra $200 Million-patience / Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by contra(m): 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
I believe the society is both for the poor and rich. These two individuals have what to contribute to the society no matter how insignificant. I personally think people should be responsible for the development of their country, rich or poor.

Tax is not only a rich man's obligation. the poor also should have a sense of responsibility to contribute. One of the reasons is because they benefit from the same social amenities provided by the government just like the rich. I know the amenities are not so pronounced by they still exist.

more so, the contribution of the poor to tax will make them interested in how these monies are spent by government. this will reduce if not totally eliminate the lukewarm attitude of 'wetin concern me'. They will be conscious of government, budget, elections, health, education and every other aspect of the governance process. this might even lead to the revolution everyone has been expecting.

And who says the poor man's contribution to tax was insignificant. Let's assume we have 2million poor people in Lagos and their minimum tax is 2,500 annually, that's a huge 5billion naira.

Feel free to add yours and contra opinions are welcomed

1 Like

Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by bekweru10(m): 8:58am On Mar 09, 2016
The poor should pay 60% of the tax. I am not yet rich but I have my reasons.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by nedu2000(m): 9:11am On Mar 09, 2016
I disagree

Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by eph12(m): 9:40am On Mar 09, 2016
The money Nigeria is generating daily and annually is enough to provide the necessary basic social amenities. Our leaders should address the wastage in government first. Tax is not avoidable but let's see what we are paying for first. I know of an area that government has been collecting tax since like forever but no light for almost 2 years and no single tarred road in that community.
Unless those wastages are curbed the taxes still won't have any meaning.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by codedguy1(m): 10:01am On Mar 09, 2016
When countries that have social welfare programmes paying the poor in Naija we are advocating for the poor who also provide the basic ammenities that are not provided by the govt to pay tax, thus impoverishing them the more.

in tax policies if you earn more you pay more and that's how it shud be but in naija where we don't see what tax payers money is being used for we want tax all and sundry, when it is even the rich that done pay the tax.

50naira stamp duty imposed on us is a for of tax that is not fair at all. 1000naira and 100000000 will pay the same 50naira to the govt. SMH it shud have be a % of the amount paid in eg 0.01% of any amount paid.

grin
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by contra(m): 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2016
nedu2000:
I disagree

But taxation is justice and not equality. the more you earn the higher taxes you pay. Nigeria operate a progressive tax system.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by contra(m): 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2016
eph12:
The money Nigeria is generating daily and annually is enough to provide the necessary basic social amenities. Our leaders should address the wastage in government first. Tax is not avoidable but let's see what we are paying for first. I know of an area that government has been collecting tax since like forever but no light for almost 2 years and no single tarred road in that community.
Unless those wastages are curbed the taxes still won't have any meaning.

the point is not the money really but participation, inclusiveness and awareness. These advantages obviously outweigh the money advantage even though that is still important.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by Standing5(m): 10:59pm On Mar 16, 2016
That's like fetching water into a basket. Our govt leaks fund more than a basket leaks water. Block the leakages first before putting money into the leaders' hands.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by ckmayoca: 11:20pm On Mar 16, 2016
What fo nigeria use her tax for? And what do the poor benefit from it.
Cos I pay tax everymonth and I fix car at mechanic everytime cos of bad road, I supply own water. So what is our tax used for that we benefit from.
Re: Why The Poor Should Pay Tax by eph12(m): 6:31am On Mar 17, 2016
contra:

the point is not the money really but participation, inclusiveness and awareness. These advantages obviously outweigh the money advantage even though that is still important.
Advantages?Am lost sir

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Biggest Problem-- Ben Murray-bruce / Names Of Miltary Officers Retired For Alleged Link To Ex Presidents / JUST IN: Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Chevron, NNPC Pipelines Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.