Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,454 members, 7,836,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Open Letter To The Minister Of Health On MLSCN Inspection Of Medical Laboratorie - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Open Letter To The Minister Of Health On MLSCN Inspection Of Medical Laboratorie (845 Views)

Resit Examination For Foreign Graduates Seeking Registration With MLSCN / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria / Virology/Lassa Fever Centre Abakaliki Commissioned By Minister Of Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To The Minister Of Health On MLSCN Inspection Of Medical Laboratorie by gorociano: 9:51pm On Mar 09, 2016
Dear Sir,

I am writing to you because I sincerely believe you have the best interests of Nigerians at heart and that you are working to ensure that Nigerians get the best healthcare possible.

There have been some disturbing events in recent times, emanating from the office you oversee; the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).

I will highlight a particular one which is currently sending a message to Nigerians that there are some elements in the Ministry of Health who do not have the goal of giving Nigerians access to the best possible healthcare.

Nigerians greeted the news that the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) was on inspection of Medical Laboratories in Lagos with joy. As reported in many newspapers/dailies, substandard medical laboratories were shut down while borderline offenders were sanctioned and given a grace period to correct the errors observed in their facilities.

This was starting to become reminiscent of the glory days of NAFDAC under the late Prof. Dora Akunyili when the Pharmaceutical industry was sanitized during her watch.

The Medical Laboratory arena in Nigeria is in dire need of a similar cleaning of the Augean stables. A situation where quacks and unethical practices run unchecked and continue to proliferate is terrible and a major contribution to the abysmally poor health indices of our dear country, Nigeria.

To later read that the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) was stopped by the Federal Ministry of Health from carrying out her legitimate duty (as backed by law) is shocking to say the least.

That the inspection which was a step in the right direction was stopped and a disturbing removal of the MLSCN CEO/Registrar happened at about the same time sends negative signals. Are there sacred cows in the Nigerian healthcare system whose toes are being stepped upon by the inspection?

In this era of change, Nigerians need reassurances that those at the helm of affairs have their best interests at heart. A failure to get this, portends grave danger for the polity. We should not get to the point where Nigerians completely lose trust in the Nigerian healthcare system; we are already dangerously close to that.

It is my hope that this letter spurs a reversal of the letter that directed the halting of the Medical Laboratory inspections by MLSCN. Doing this will send a message to Nigerians that the Federal Ministry of Health truly cares about the quality of results generated by Medical Laboratories across the country; and thus the health of Nigerians.

Thank you very much Sir for taking the time to read and reflect on this issue.

With the very best regards,

Arike O.

P.S.

This is not my official name (though my name) as my intention is not to put a focus on my person but to put a spotlight on the matter at hand.
Re: Open Letter To The Minister Of Health On MLSCN Inspection Of Medical Laboratorie by Ebimablog: 8:33am On Mar 10, 2016
Let me read again, will be back to modify this comment

(1) (Reply)

I Think My GF Gave Me Gonorrhea. What Do I Do And Who Do I Talk To? / Natural Ways To Treat Fatique Wth Apollo Noni Juice/syrup / 6 Proven Facts About C0ndoms You Never Know (must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.