Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:43 PM

Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! (786 Views)

My Mother Is Destroying Our Home With Her Dressing Code.( Pics) / My Husband's Addiction Is Destroying My Home. / How We Are Destroying Our Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by TheInkheart(f): 7:59pm On Mar 10, 2016
Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability?

Today, I was watching a women’s program on of these local TV channels and they were discussing the Nigerian education sector. Lots of points were raised as to why the education sector of the country seems to deplete and some students’ lack of interest towards studying.

One woman said that parents have stopped monitoring their children’s progress in school all because they are more concerned on how to bring food to the table which I strongly agree with. Most women have to work as hard as the men (if not harder) to help the family surrvive and the spare time they have is taken up by preparing a decent meal for the family, going grocery shopping, cleaning the house and performing wifely duties. By the time she is done, she is too tired to keep her eyes open much less look at the kids’ notebooks.

Another point raised was that teachers don’t bother to do extra jobs on their students; most just come to class, teach, check assignments, flog students and call it a day. There is no extra monitoring done because most are not actually in the job but the money (which is very true as unemployment has pushed many to take up any kind of job that will keep their belly full). Lot of beautiful points were raised that were very apt that I strongly agreed with except for one; social media is destroying students’ inner ability and willingness to study. When I heard this, I almost broke something.

Click here to read more: http://www.coloursandgrey.com/social-media-destroying-inner-ability/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by LordIsaac(m): 8:11pm On Mar 10, 2016
I a million percent concour!!

2 Likes

Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 11, 2016
Some mothers who are full time house wives prefer to watch telemundo than to look into their children's school book.
The lecturers in the higher places of learning has made it look like your money should do the studying not your brain.
Nigeria has a long way to go in reviving its educational sector.
Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by Chidoks(f): 1:45pm On Mar 11, 2016
What would you have broken? You haven't noticed the latest trend? Our children are all over the internet doing God knows what. You no dey see them? They all have white earpiece hanging round their neck always. The once that stick to Facebook are decent otherwise their favourite site are dating sites and pron sites.
Most adults cannot even curtail their urge to browse, that's why some are 24/7 on line how much more a teeneger who has a lot to imagine and fantasize about.
Remember how addicted we were about our mills and boons novels? But then we learnt to read and write simple English but the internet? Whosai!
These children spend most of their time on social networks, they hardly have time for intensive studies. I feel they crash-study during exams, just to pass not for knowledge.
So dear, everything they said is right!
Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by JonTal: 2:34pm On Mar 11, 2016
The educational system in Nigeria, which currently is in a bad state will be fixed with time, but the effect of social media on the education and well being of children will also increase, either for better or for the opposite.

The onus is on families to take individual responsiblility for the the proper up bringing of their wards, social media or no social media. After all, some young adults also grew up in this era of social media, and have turned out very well.

So individual familiy responsibility is key, here.

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by Chidoks(f): 2:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
JonTal:
The educational system in Nigeria, which currently is in a bad state will be fixed with time, but the effect of social media on the education and well being of children will also increase, either for better or for the opposite.

The onus is on families to take individual responsiblility for the the proper up bringing of their wards, social media or no social media. After all, some young adults also grew up in this era of social media, and have turned out very well.

So individual familiy responsibility is key, here.
But you agree that social media contributes to academic decadance?
Re: Social Media Is Destroying Our Inner Ability??! by JonTal: 10:45am On Mar 12, 2016
Chidoks:

But you agree that social media contributes to academic decadance?

Absolutely, @Chidoks. Then again, it depends on who the student is. For the student who experiences poor parenting or guardianship, if you will, social media will make him worse and worse. For the one whose parents are up to their parenting duties, social media will have very little impact on his academics, because from the word go, he has been trained to know what is most important and to give it all is focus. Unfortunately, for us, the former group are in the majority, that is the reason it is easy to blame it on social media.

What I think the problem is, is our over concentration on money making, which leaves parents with little or know time for child training. Parents have also come to accept whatever the media says is right as the truth and they allow their children go on with those practices. These and more are the issues.

So social media contributes to academic decadence, yes, but only where parents fail to do the right things up front.

The right approach for me will be, to recognise that social media has come to stay, recognise it as a "frienemy" and teach our young ones how to use it to their advantage.

(1) (Reply)

Internet Solutions Nigeria Limited ( Isn) / How Herbalist Made Father, Daughter Commit Incest / Dying Man's Desperate Plea For Donor Brother To Be Allowed Into UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.