Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Wenger May Not Replace Adebayor - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Wenger May Not Replace Adebayor (697 Views)

Nwakali And Chukwueze With Arsene Wenger & Nwankwo (Photos) / Jurgen Klopp Agrees Three-year Deal To Replace Brendan Rodgers / Adebayor: King Of Africa Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wenger May Not Replace Adebayor by thayur(m): 7:32pm On Jul 18, 2009
Arsene Wenger has no plans to replace Emmanuel Adebayor after agreeing to sell the Arsenal striker to Manchester City. Adebayor spent the day at Eastlands discussing personal terms and the transfer, reported to be worth £25m, is in on the brink of completion.

Wenger today claimed the money raised by Adebayor's sale is his to invest, but while he is keeping an eye on Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh, he is in no hurry to spend. Instead, he will rely on his current attacking options which have been boosted by the return of Tomas Rosicky and Eduardo from injury.

"We're not on the verge of signing anybody, but I'm able to spend the money if we find the right players," he said. "We're not in a hurry because we have a big squad. We'll see in pre-season if we need to make any additions.

"If we need to add something we will. Chamakh is one of the players we've followed and if we need to go for a striker he's a possibility," said Wenger. "We're keeping an eye on him.

"We have Rosicky and Eduardo back, so we've lost a big striker but have gained two offensive players who were absent last season. We also have Nicklas Bendtner, Andrey Arshavin, Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott who can play striker," he said. "We have top players we can use as strikers."
We're not in a hurry because we have a big squad. We'll see in pre-season if we need to make any additions.
Arsene Wenger

Adebayor's departure will not be mourned by Arsenal fans who tired of his attempt to engineer a move abroad last summer before signing a new contract. Supporters questioned his commitment throughout last season and his sale represents good business, with Arsenal set to make an £18m profit on a player they signed from Monaco for £7m in 2006. Wenger understands Adebayor's desire to leave the Emirates and acknowledged that he was joining a growing force in the Barclays Premier League.

"We'll miss him, he's a great player. I'm sure he'll give something special to Man City," he said. "I don't believe that last season he got enough support and I think that played a part in his mind.

"There was a bit of resentment you could feel through last summer. I believe he wanted to do well, but didn't have the confidence of the year before. If you consider the money we paid for him it was good business, but that was not our main target," said Wenger.

"It's a good opportunity for him because City could be a big force in the coming years. Carlos Tevez, Robinho and Gareth Barry have done it. Man City will be a threat to the top teams."

Barnet draw
Arsenal were held to a 2-2 draw by Barnet in today's traditional pre-season curtain-raiser, with Rosicky making his first appearance since January 2008

Re: Wenger May Not Replace Adebayor by doyin13(m): 9:31pm On Jul 18, 2009
The Arses got shortchanged on this deal. . .

Ibro went to Barca for Etoo and 35 million. . . .

I am willing to hear anyone state the case for Ibro being worth that much more than Ade.
Re: Wenger May Not Replace Adebayor by sley4life(m): 11:01pm On Jul 18, 2009
Nothing for arsenal this season

(1) (Reply)

Mourinho Vs Ramadan / Manchester United And Liverpool Are Not Title Contenders This Season / If You Were Rafael Benitez, What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.