Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,660 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (30541 Views)

Finishing Our Building In Benin (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / Building Detached Duplexes In Lekki (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / Our Renovation Diary (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 7:42pm On Oct 23, 2017
PAINTING: Internal Updates

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2017
PAINTING: Internal Updates.

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 9:55am On Nov 05, 2017
BATHROOMS: What we did With China Tiles

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2017
Painting Updates

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 6:37am On Nov 23, 2017
PAINTING: Updates

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2017
Updates

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 8:37pm On Dec 08, 2017

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by ceelog(m): 10:37am On Dec 26, 2017
skimanski:
Updates on all Septic Tanks + Soakaway

Please Skimanski do you think adopting this style for an underground tank for water storage (depth is 10ft and sides are 8ft each) is appopriate? Some people have suggested casting (filling) the sides with concrete after block work and reinforcement instead of just laterite filling.
NB: It's hard solid soil (already excavated for foundation filling.

Cc: Adventures, Diodarves, Spyder
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by ceelog(m): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2017
skimanski:
Wall Sanding For External Walls
Please Skimanski why plaster a wall that you intend to sand? Must it be done that way?
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 1:07pm On Dec 27, 2017
ceelog:

Please Skimanski why plaster a wall that you intend to sand? Must it be done that way?

The Walls need to be Straight and flat first before you sand it. Or else you will have Block Mortar bumps everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 1:16pm On Dec 27, 2017
ceelog:

Please Skimanski do you think adopting this style for an underground tank for water storage (depth is 10ft and sides are 8ft each) is appopriate? Some people have suggested casting (filling) the sides with concrete after block work and reinforcement instead of just laterite filling.
NB: It's hard solid soil (already excavated for foundation filling.

Cc: Adventures, Diodarves, Spyder

The advise you were given is very appropriate. as this is a soakaway and not storage Tank. this will still have dampness regardless of the fact that its a dry soil, so casting the tank with concrete and proper damp proofing method, is the best way to go.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Badgers14: 9:30am On Dec 30, 2017
skimanski:

14.3 Meters Above Ground Level Sir

Quick question for you, is there any reason why water tanks are built this high?
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2017
Badgers14:

Quick question for you, is there any reason why water tanks are built this high?

The Higher the Tank, the stronger the water pressure inside the house
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Badgers14: 10:47am On Dec 30, 2017
skimanski:

The Higher the Tank, the stronger the water pressure inside the house

Thank you for your response.

But I am not sure I understand what you mean by " the stronger the water pressure inside the house".

The reason why i am asking is that, some of this water tanks looks ridiculously high and looks dangeeous too. I was wondering in the western world where there is no over head tank but tenants still access water in their apartments. Isn't there a way to reduce the height of the water tanks and still access water in the apartments.

If the height of the water tank stand is reduced say to 10ft above ground. Would it pose a problem?

Thanks again.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 31, 2017
Badgers14:

Thank you for your response.

But I am not sure I understand what you mean by " the stronger the water pressure inside the house".

The reason why i am asking is that, some of this water tanks looks ridiculously high and looks dangeeous too. I was wondering in the western world where there is no over head tank but tenants still access water in their apartments. Isn't there a way to reduce the height of the water tanks and still access water in the apartments.

If the height of the water tank stand is reduced say to 10ft above ground. Would it pose a problem?

Thanks again.

While we await Ogas response (he's probably in Italy to welcome the New Year).

The tank has to be higher than the highest water outlet which is usually the shower. The higher the tank the higher the pressure of the water coming through tee pipes.

In Texas where they don't have hills, they erect seriously tall and high volume tanks to generate necessary pressure to homes in the areas (see picture) and they sometimes even have pumping stations to increase that pressure.

In California with hills, they install the tanks on the mountain tops to generate this needed pressure. And they too supplement with pumping stations.

Like you, I don't want 5,000 liter of water on top of my head and worse to potentially fall on neighbors. I'm averse to risk in my old age.

So what I did was just slightly elevate my tank (see picture) and I will use an on-demand and inline water pressure pump for the main house. I am not doing that for my BQ because I think the tank is high enough to give me the desired pressure. The water pump can be powered by a small solar power system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NoPjuGlOo

Good luck on your project.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Badgers14: 1:38am On Jan 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

While we await Ogas response (he's probably in Italy to welcome the New Year).

The tank has to be higher than the highest water outlet which is usually the shower. The higher the tank the higher the pressure of the water coming through tee pipes.

In Texas where they don't have hills, they erect seriously tall and high volume tanks to generate necessary pressure to homes in the areas (see picture) and they sometimes even have pumping stations to increase that pressure.

In California with hills, they install the tanks on the mountain tops to generate this needed pressure. And they too supplement with pumping stations.

Like you, I don't want 5,000 liter of water on top of my head and worse to potentially fall on neighbors. I'm averse to risk in my old age.

So what I did was just slightly elevate my tank (see picture) and I will use an on-demand and inline water pressure pump for the main house. I am not doing that for my BQ because I think the tank is high enough to give me the desired pressure. The water pump can be powered by a small solar power system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NoPjuGlOo

Good luck on your project.

Thank you my Oga for your response.

I live in the U.S but I never knew those tall structures are water tanks grin grin.

I have a project that God's willing will break ground this 2018 and I am very hesitant on mounting those high water tanks. 47ft above ground shocked I think the Govt should out law them, it looks very dangerous.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by FastShipping: 1:46am On Jan 01, 2018
Badgers14:

I live in the U.S but I never knew those tall structures are water tanks grin grin.

I have a project that God's willing will break ground this 2018 and I am very hesitant on mounting those high water tanks. 47ft above ground shocked I think the Govt should out law them, it looks very dangerous.

I don't like them either. I just did one like few months ago and water pressure was low in one bathroom and kitchen but okay everywhere else. I didn't want the high tank and was going for water pressure pump but my contractor insisted on high water station of 22 feet. At the end, I introduced water pressure pump. The almost 450k water stand turned out to be useless.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 01, 2018
Badgers14:

I'm in Southern California.

You will find a water pressure regulator in most US homes (picture) to reduce the tremendous amount of pressure coming from the city as high as 120 psi. Most home faucet and lines only need about 45psi

Good luck on your project Sir.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Badgers14: 3:50am On Jan 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I'm in Southern California.

You will find a water pressure regulator in most US homes (picture) to reduce the tremendous amount of pressure coming from the city as high as 120 psi. Most home faucet and lines only need about 45psi

Good luck on your project Sir.

Ha, here we go again.. I have never put much thought into the water pressure regulator. Here in the midwest, ours is in the basement.

I have always seen it as plumbing stuff but never really connected the dots.. Well i didn't know the dots were there in the first place.

although I am a novice in building construction but that high water tank is just an eyesore and very unsafe and I knew there is a solution to it , more efficient and less dangerous ways to still achieve the in-house water pressure but maybe people are not aware of it.

Thanks again my Oga. I stayed in San Bernadino for a little while years ago. Beautifull place, nice weather but very expensive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 11:08am On Jan 01, 2018
@EgunMogaji Has said it all. You can decide not to have a high Water tank stand, But you must then need to have a water pressure regulator, to help the water pressure.

Note to have a water pressure regulator, you need to pay attention to the Plumbing piping of your house. Those conventional PVC and Copper pipes do not do well with a water pressure pump connected to it, as they may not be strong enough to hold the water pressure without leakage. with pressure regulators you want to use more quality and more expensive pipes than the regular PVC & Copper pipes.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 11:12am On Jan 01, 2018
FastShipping:

I don't like them either. I just did one like few months ago and water pressure was low in one bathroom and kitchen but okay everywhere else. I didn't want the high tank and was going for water pressure pump but my contractor insisted on high water station of 22 feet. At the end, I introduced water pressure pump. The almost 450k water stand turned out to be useless.

. But sir, how high was your tank Stand? if your house is a Bungalow, a high tank stand should do. do a pressure pump attached just makes the pressure better.

Also note! there are Faucets / Mixers that are designed to reduce the pressure of your water. and some people might not be able to tell. They just by any, and at the end of the day Water pressure is attributed to the tank stand height not sufficient enough.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by peterphd(m): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2018
skimanski:

. But sir, how high was your tank Stand? if your house is a Bungalow, a high tank stand should do. do a pressure pump attached just makes the pressure better.

Also note! there are Faucets / Mixers that are designed to reduce the pressure of your water. and some people might not be able to tell. They just by any, and at the end of the day Water pressure is attributed to the tank stand height not sufficient enough.

Oga skimanski, can you recommend any brands (faucets and the likes) one can get in Nigeria to use? (maybe the pressure regulator). Truly, high overhead tanks scare me.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by FastShipping: 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
skimanski:

22 feet high. One of the problems is because the faucets are US made. The plumber said they were designed like that to be of low pressure.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2018
peterphd:

Oga skimanski, can you recommend any brands (faucets and the likes) one can get in Nigeria to use? (maybe the pressure regulator). Truly, high overhead tanks scare me.

If Overhead tanks Scare you, then go for Water Pressure Pumps. and any faucets will be fantastic
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2018
FastShipping:

22 feet high. One of the problems is because the faucets are US made. The plumber said they were designed like that to be of low pressure.

But how is the water Pressure now, has it been solved?
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 01, 2018
A little bit of reading on the matter.

https://www.amazon.com/Niagara-N3205N-PC-Dual-Threaded-Aerator/dp/B0034UMZA6

"Product description
Our Niagara Conservation branded Pressure Compensated Needle Spray Aerators are an innovative water-saving solution designed to accommodate both male and female applications. These water saving aerators save water and energy by producing forceful streams regardless of available water pressure at a reduced flow rate that minimizes the amount of energy needed to heat hot water."
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by FastShipping: 10:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
skimanski:

But how is the water Pressure now, has it been solved?

Solved.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 5:11am On Jan 02, 2018
FastShipping:

Solved.

kudos boss
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by babatosan: 7:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
Skimanski, how do you know the difference between faucets that reduce pressure or don't reduce? I have a high tank stand, good pressure outside for my garden hoses but the faucets my plumber installed indoors cause water to barely trickle in. My friend with a similar problem got a pressure pump but now has to deal with leakages like you highlighted.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2018
babatosan:
Skimanski, how do you know the difference between faucets that reduce pressure or don't reduce? I have a high tank stand, good pressure outside for my garden hoses but the faucets my plumber installed indoors cause water to barely trickle in. My friend with a similar problem got a pressure pump but now has to deal with leakages like you highlighted.

Its simple! if you hold a Tap thats a Hot and Cold Tap, underneath has 2 Hold where the Hot & Cold connector will fit. Block one of the Holes and Blow into the other and if the air that comes out of the Taps mouth is as free as you blow it, then it doesn't reduce pressure. but if the air is significantly not free, then its a Tap thats designed to reduce pressure.
Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 04, 2018

Re: Construction Of Flats In Owerri (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) by skimanski(m): 7:23am On Jan 04, 2018
EgunMogaji:
This is also a low tech alternative.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Viega-36183-1-2-18-Port-Compression-MANABLOC-8-hot-10-cold?gclid=CjwKCAiAm7LSBRBBEiwAvL1-L6xAVaeMuHXzJ9hXn_TiephjE4ozJxeSkWeL99PBoHDrTgX_2wwPBhoCh_gQAvD_BwE

A competent plumber should be able to replicate it using pipes.

This is Called manifold na. We do it for most toilets in the house that has control points you do not want to see on the walls. All you have to do is pocket the manifold inside a corner close to the toilet. As shown below. Though note below picture is only for a toilet.

Meanwhile this your own is for a house in General. This is nice when you have a serviced apartment. It gives you access to their hot and cold water supply so that you can shut down Brother Segun’s water any day he fails to pay, Be it hot or cold or even both.

The reason why I don’t necessarily advise it for homes that are not serviced is that it cost more than the regular direct piping because it eats up a lot of pipe works going from one service point to everywhere in the house.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Welcome To Furniture Market Place / Top 10 Most Expensive Homes Around The World / Building Under Construction Collapses In Ilorin (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.