Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards (22142 Views)

Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards / No Limit On Naira Debit, Credit Cards Utilization On E-channels – CBN / Suspension Of International Transaction On Debit/credit Card. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Pwhitelaw(m): 10:05pm On Mar 12, 2016
dominique:

I use GTB
you don't need to stress yourself.just search for safe token on Google. Safe token is a code sent to the phone number attached to your account number. Without this code transaction can never be completed. Meaning if some stole your card and want to transact online. The code will be sent to your phone and the transaction will be decline.... I use quickteller to pay bills, recharge and pay movies ticket rather than having bank application.

1 Like

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Valto(m): 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2016
double post
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Valto(m): 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:
To protect your card is easy just be sure you are not on a fraudulent platform or where your card can be cloned.
Secondly you can intentionally hide your card verification code .by scrathing it out for no one to know it but you must have cram the digit your self because without it no one can use ur card on konga or jumia . A friend of mine was careless with his card and gave to is staff to make Uk visa fee payment for a client the staff copied is card details and shop on jumia goods wot N500,000 but was later aprehended by the police!
this is the most potent way to prevent stories that touches the heart. impossible for any hacker to know the 3digit number when scratched off
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by talk2archy: 10:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
sidneyj:

I understand you.

You gave her the ATM card of the bank where you keep change..

Guy man how u take know, u be winch? Omo no dulling.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 10:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:

Ok may God keep us

Amen. Just be very vigilant
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 10:15pm On Mar 12, 2016
obidevine:
Thanks for this info OP.

you are welcome. Lets all shine our eyes
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by smudge2079(m): 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2016
With wema bank card control, ur card is 100% safe. Visit www.wemabank.com for more details.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by obidevine(m): 10:29pm On Mar 12, 2016
Insightz:

you are welcome. Lets all shine our eyes
Shine your eye well well !!!
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by DaBullIT(m): 10:42pm On Mar 12, 2016
Those are good things you said

But i hate to rain on your parade , no security is enough security

Magnetic strips can be read wirelessly and your transaction intercepted during ATM use

One more thing to add , do not click links from email or fb offering cheap deals

and if you have made purchases on google play or FB apps, remove your card info from your account history

1 Like

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 12:17am On Mar 13, 2016
DaBullIT:
Those are good things you said

But i hate to rain on your parade , no security is enough security

Magnetic strips can be read wirelessly and your transaction intercepted during ATM use

One more thing to add , do not click links from email or fb offering cheap deals

and if you have made purchases on google play or FB apps, remove your card info from your account history

Nice one bro. Indeed no security is ever enough. That's why I think there is need for constant sensitization. No information is ever enough too.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 12:21am On Mar 13, 2016
Valto:
this is the most potent way to prevent stories that touches the heart. impossible for any hacker to know the 3digit number when scratched off

It is not impossible to to know the 3 digit code. If the card is skimmed or swiped, that data can be decrypted and the 3 digit code would be visible. No on the card but to the hacker. But it is a good trick to scratch it off for the average guy who would like to use your card when he finds it.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Gkemz: 12:25am On Mar 13, 2016
Do not go out at night with your ATM card.
Make sure you operate two accounts so that you don't put all your eggs in one basket in case of armed robbery theft.
Do not disclose about your transactions in the public and always be conscious of the person sitting close to you.
Do not follow one route after making huge cash deposit or withdrawal.
If you suspect your card's security is compromised, change your pin immediately.
Never disclose any info to fraudulent numbers that demand ur BVN and account details
Finally report any suspicious activities in account immediately to your bank.

Remain vigilant.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 12:43am On Mar 13, 2016
Gkemz:
Do not go out at night with your ATM card.
Make sure you operate two accounts so that you don't put all your eggs in one basket in case of armed robbery theft.
Do not disclose about your transactions in the public and always be conscious of the person sitting close to you.
Do not follow one route after making huge cash deposit or withdrawal.
If you suspect your card's security is compromised, change your pin immediately.
Never disclose any info to fraudulent numbers that demand ur BVN and account details
Finally report any suspicious activities in account immediately to your bank.

Remain vigilant.

Bros thank you very much for these tips. They are really new and fresh. Very educative
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by bodee(m): 4:34am On Mar 13, 2016
ednut1:
Make use of 2 accounts. One without Debit card(no such tin as atm card). The one with debit card shud have smal amount lik 10-20k.
best advice so far
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by ednut1(m): 5:38am On Mar 13, 2016
creamylicious:
exact thoughts on my. mind..... Are you tunde ednut the musician?
lolz i am. If na me wud i be on NL grin
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Eleganza33(f): 9:18am On Mar 13, 2016
Thanks
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by eme40rald(f): 9:57am On Mar 13, 2016
ednut1:
Make use of 2 accounts. One without Debit card(no such tin as atm card). The one with debit card shud have smal amount lik 10-20k.
Very important
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 10:30am On Mar 13, 2016
Eleganza33:
Thanks

You are welcome. Be vigilant
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Dasshboard(m): 10:32am On Mar 13, 2016
dominique:
Nice one. How does one go about the point 3? For this of us that carry out online transactions. I won't mind paying a little extra to keep my cards extra secured.

Alternatively, get a prepaid card that is not linked to your account. It serves as an electronic wallet.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Dasshboard(m): 10:35am On Mar 13, 2016
dominique:

I do have a token, very helpful little tool. I will go through their site when I'm chanced to see how I can get the code. At least I'll be less weary of exposing all my card details online once I've applied extra security features. Thanks a bunch, you've been of great help.

Do not expose all your account online. Get a prepaid card.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 10:35am On Mar 13, 2016
Dasshboard:

Alternatively, get a prepaid card that is not linked to your account. It serves as an electronic wallet.

Nice tip. For example neteller and payoneer prepaid cards
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by datigbogirl: 10:56am On Mar 13, 2016
Insightz:
Yesterday and today I noticed two threads complaining about possible scams/fraud on their ATM debit/credit cards. See the following threads: https://www.nairaland.com/2984112/how-lost-over-20000-through and https://www.nairaland.com/2984600/urgent-scammed

I thought I should drop some tips that may help minimize possible scams/fraud on our ATM cards:

1: Keep your ATM Cards always in your possession: The first thing that could criminals access to your card, is if they have possession of it. Never lose sight of your card. If your card is not where you are used to keeping it, alarm bells should begin to ring. If you are in doubt, see number 7 below.

2: Use your Card at a credible POS: Avoid using your ATM cards at filling stations, Some hotels, Cafes. Basically, places where the POS could be compromised. I was in Abuja the other day. I did a transaction and the guy asked me to pay with a POS. As my bank was not far away, I told him to wait. I took a cab to my nearest bank. Withdrew the money and brought it to him. The guy laughed and told me na wa o. Morale of the story is that, do not expose your card to transactions that could lead to fraud/Scam

3: MasterCard Secure/Verified by Visa: If you transact frequently online, possibility of your card details getting into the wrong hands is high. There are measures designed to minimize fraudulent transactions online. Please go to your bank and register. If you have A master card enroll in the MasterCard secure code. If you use Visa, enroll in Verified by Visa. No one would be able to carry out online transactions unless they can bypass these security measures.

4: Use ATMS inside bank premises: It has been shown that, criminals have the ability to change the keyboard and the ATM card slots on ATM machines. The goal is to skim any card data that is used in those machines. To avoid possibilities of your card

5: Password Protection: Most cards are password protected anyway. But this is not enough. A thief could simply use some techniques like cameras, giraffe spying to see your password. Always make sure that when keying in password, ensure that you shield the keys as much as possible. Someone could be spying. Even the person on the counter could try to spy.

6: Never Give your Card to Anyone to Swipe/ Let your Card out of your In a Public Place: If you pay by POS in Restaurant, Hotel, etc, always pay attention to what is going on. If the person collects your card and attempts to swipe himself, I will advice you not to give. Even so, when they take the card and vanish out of sight. Your card details could be skimmed.

If you suspect your card has been compromised, Take the following steps to minimize risks:

7: Immediately Report fictitious/suspicious debits on your card: Do not wait to confirm whether it is a bank error. Your ability to recover your money depends on how quickly you submit a report

8: Block your Card Immediately: If you see any suspicious/unknown transactions, the first reaction would be to have your card blocked immediately. There is no reason to wait for your bank to confirm whether it is real or network error. The more you wait, the more the possibilities of losing your money. See one of the posts referenced above.

9: Check your Bank Statement: If you have access to online banking facilities, immediately log in to check and cross check your debit alerts. This could help throw some light on the situation

10: Make a Police Report: Proceed to make a police report. Explain clearly what happened. Provide a much details as possible to enable the police undertake investigation

11: Be Always Vigilant: You are your own bank with your ATM cards. Don't be Complacent!

12: Please Add yours: Share and pass on the message. Could help someone in this dry season.

PS: If you buy online, make sure the website is encrypted with the little padlock. It is another security measure aimed at securing data.

With all ds state-of-the-art innovations by scammers if only they can channel this energy into something productive,naija would have become a better place...but I've realized some people are simply incapable of doing good...their brain only performs well in doing evil...they can only excel when doing bad....
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by free37: 11:26am On Mar 13, 2016
Nice.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Prdo: 2:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
I think one can just have a dedicated account or card for this online & POS transactions, which is only funded on purpose for payment/transaction. This account should always be near empty/low in cash except a transaction is about to take place. Alternatively, the ecash/virtual account or wallet may be preferable for online transactions.

1 Like

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Prdo:
I think one can just have a dedicated account or card for this online & POS transactions, which is only funded on purpose for payment/transaction. This account should always be near empty/low in cash except a transaction is about to take place. Alternatively, the ecash/virtual account or wallet may be preferable for online transactions.

I think a combination of two accounts wouod be a good combination. It has been suggested here on different occasions. I will definitely adopt this strategy
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by professore(m): 4:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
These are nice tips
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by charlsecy(m): 11:04am On May 05, 2016
Insightz:
Please Add yours:
Always log out after transactions and ensure none of your log-in details is auto-saved on your phone or PC. By way of added security, you should use a lock app to protect the banking apps installed on your mobile devices, or better still hide banking apps.

frank442:
Change ur pin every 3 months
Provided your PIN is not compromised, I see no reason for a PIN change.

bigwig10:
Please in a situation where by the thieves got ur atm n extract the pin frm u @ gun point wah do we do
SIRKAY98:
My brother only God can safe you from such act.just pray the bank has network problem b4 they get there

If possible, do not enter public transport with your card. Robbers could hold one hostage, force one to reveal one's details and make withdrawals while one is still held. If one must travel with that card, one should use the card whose account doesn't have much money on it and still keep one's card where the unscrupulous persons may not see it.

If one is robbed of one's ATM card together with the PIN, one can call Customer Care to block the card provided one is not held hostage.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 1:14pm On May 09, 2016
charlsecy:
Always log out after transactions and ensure none of your log-in details is auto-saved on your phone or PC. By way of added security, you should use a lock app to protect the banking apps installed on your mobile devices, or better still hide banking apps.

Provided your PIN is not compromised, I see no reason for a PIN change.

If possible, do not enter public transport with your card. Robbers could hold one hostage, force one to reveal one's details and make withdrawals while one is still held. If one must travel with that card, one should use the card whose account doesn't have much money on it and still keep one's card where the unscrupulous persons may not see it.

If one is robbed of one's ATM card together with the PIN, one can call Customer Care to block the card provided one is not held hostage.

Beautifully summarized sir. My banking app is hidden all together. Nice tips.

Transact safely

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Shifts Focus From Cement To Oil And Gas / Gas Explosion At Ladipo Market Extension, Lagos / Please How Do I Hustle Hard In 2022? 2021 Was Hell For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.