Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral (3277 Views)

Praying For Someone To Die Is It Biblical? / Should We Be Praying For Our Enemies To Die In Church? / What Is The Difference Praying For Your Enemy To Die In Church Or Shrine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by winner01(m): 11:51am On Mar 13, 2016
A photo of a teenage boy who prayed for a sleeping homeless man on the street has gone viral.

A Baltimore police officer, Eric Gaines, shared the photo on Facebook when he noticed the boy praying on the pavement. In a caption, Gained wrote: "I watched as this young kid was walking pass, stopped and walked over to this sleeping homeless man; touched him and began praying over him... This was an amazing sight! I pray this kid becomes a leader amongst his peers, and continues on this path!! Not all Baltimore youth are lost!! I HAD to post this!!"

"He walked over to him and just knelt down and put his hands down on his foot," Gaines told the Baltimore Sun, describing the event.

"I thought it was an amazing sight. I had to take a picture of it. It was extremely powerful."

The boy had been waiting for the bus, and if it hadn't been for his friends holding it up, he would have missed it because he stopped to pray. Despite the post going viral, his identity remains unknown. 

"He didn't do it for any accolades or any praise... I didn't get a chance to say anything. I wanted to say something to him," Gaines said. "But it was just as if he did what he had to do and left."

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by lastmessenger: 11:56am On Mar 13, 2016
This is what Christianity is all about.

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Flexherbal(m): 12:03pm On Mar 13, 2016
These are the people who need our attention the most

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by tyson99(m): 12:13pm On Mar 13, 2016
God bless him
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by lepasharon(f): 12:20pm On Mar 13, 2016
And how will the prayers provide food, clothing and shelter? undecided

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
lepasharon:
And how will the prayers provide food, clothing and shelter? undecided

Let me explain a way God may respond to his prayers . Now , the young man who prayed for him may not have the finance to provide even respite for the homeless man . But wait ... the photo has gone viral right ? Someone who is in the position to help would be touched by God and help would come his way . The person might even be an atheist , muslim ... anyone .

I am expecting the problems of the homeless man to be alleviated anytime soon

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Seun(m): 12:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
Prayer is great! If you want to feel as if you've helped someone without actually spending your time or money on the person, you can just pray!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 12:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Prayer is great! If you want to feel as if you've helped someone without actually spending your time or money on the person, you can just pray!

I used to have the impression you're atheist, Seun.
This sure changes the perception.

It has been scientifically proven that thinking good or bad thoughts towards an issue or an individual has it's consequences.

Prayer is a communication of our heartfelt thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Instead of deriding the young man's belief . You can like to spend your time and money by finding the homeless man wherever he is and helping him out.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 12:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
lastmessenger:
This is what Christianity is all about.

This isn't about Christianity Bro.

This is what LIFE and LIVING is all about - LOVE.

When we begin to see others as an extension of ourselves, down to the "maddest man" on your street, planet earth, and our country, - our individual lives would be better for it.

We are not meant to be like God.
We are meant to BE GOD.

That's the only way to end humanity's suffering.

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Ishilove: 12:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
winner01:
A photo of a teenage boy who prayed for a sleeping homeless man on the street has gone viral.

A Baltimore police officer, Eric Gaines, shared the photo on Facebook when he noticed the boy praying on the pavement. In a caption, Gained wrote: "I watched as this young kid was walking pass, stopped and walked over to this sleeping homeless man; touched him and began praying over him... This was an amazing sight! I pray this kid becomes a leader amongst his peers, and continues on this path!! Not all Baltimore youth are lost!! I HAD to post this!!"

"He walked over to him and just knelt down and put his hands down on his foot," Gaines told the Baltimore Sun, describing the event.

"I thought it was an amazing sight. I had to take a picture of it. It was extremely powerful."

The boy had been waiting for the bus, and if it hadn't been for his friends holding it up, he would have missed it because he stopped to pray. Despite the post going viral, his identity remains unknown. 

"He didn't do it for any accolades or any praise... I didn't get a chance to say anything. I wanted to say something to him," Gaines said. "But it was just as if he did what he had to do and left."
The boy was led by the Spirit of God

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by holluwai(m): 12:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
Powerful indeed.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by analice107: 12:53pm On Mar 13, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Let me explain a way God may respond to his prayers . Now , the young man who prayed for him may not have the finance to provide even respite for the homeless man . But wait ... the photo has gone viral right ? Someone who is in the position to help would be touched by God and help would come his way . The person might even be an atheist , muslim ... anyone .

Thank you dear.
Paul planted, Apollos watered, but God giveth the increase.
Some people no dey reason at all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 13, 2016
People be knocking prayer..... Do you know how many bad and wrong things that you do every day? At the very least, it doesn't hurt so let those who wish to indulge in it do so without all this "i-too-know", sarcastic, sanctimonious castigation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

I used to have the impression you're atheist, Seun.
This sure changes the perception.

It has been scientifically proven that thinking good or bad thoughts towards an issue or an individual has it's consequences.

Prayer is a communication of our heartfelt thoughts.
You obviously did not understand what seun was saying. LMAO.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Seun(m): 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Instead of deriding the young man's belief...
I am not deriding his belief, but suggesting that his prayer does absolutely nothing for the man, so he shouldn't be praised for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:22pm On Mar 13, 2016
MrsPhyno:
People be knocking prayer..... Do you know how many bad and wrong things that you do every day? At the very least, it doesn't hurt so let those who wish to indulge in it do so without all this "i-too-know", sarcastic, sanctimonious castigation.
Who do think deserve to be lauded: the man who said he's going to tar a road or the man who tar the road?

What has prayer ever done or accomplished? If prayer truly works, considering the amount of prayer being prayed for this country to get better, it would have been better....

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
I am not deriding his belief, but I'm saying that the act of praying does absolutely nothing for the man, so he shouldn't be praised for it.
Exactly Master Yoda! Prayer is just words... And remember, "action speaks louder than words".
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 1:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:
You obviously did not understand what seun was saying. LMAO.

Oh really?!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Ah yes! Let's wait and see, considering the fact that the homeless man's face didn't even show in the picture, bloody marvelous.

But hey, its the post modernist age, information at ones finger tips....

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:31pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

Oh really?!

grin grin grin grin
Yep, but who knows, you have a peculiar way of understanding things that set you in a class of your own. grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Seun(m): 1:31pm On Mar 13, 2016
I'm sure that many people have prayed quietly for this homeless man as they walked past him. This boy just did it in a more photogenic way.

MrsPhyno:
At the very least, it doesn't hurt so let those who wish to indulge in it do so without all this "i-too-know", sarcastic, sanctimonious castigation.
Actually, it hurts because it gives people the satisfaction of feeling that they have done something to help, whereas they haven't.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:
Exactly Master Yoda! Prayer is just words... And remember, "action speaks louder than words".

*sighs*

grin

How do I even begin to convince you guys now that the very action of that boy, which for all we know, might be his widow's mite has sparked a number of reactions both in the physical and spiritual that will get that man off the streets for good, and rehabilitated too?

Y'see.
I'm a recipient of the power of prayer and MEDITATION.
I have lots of issues with th Christian God.
But I believe that we have a source, from which/whom we all proceed.

That boy's act was that of compassion.
Supposing I were in his shoes, Permit me to speak like an insensitive person for a bit.

"Do you know what it takes for a clean bae lik me to touch a street man who hasn't bathed for days and for all we know, has Ebola and the likes?"
Lol

It takes compassion and the divine to do so without flinching.

Within these few days, I've seen and perceived enough to know that the physical is not all that there is.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nigerians will always continue to be hyper-sentimental, even the cop that took the picture was only touched by the boy's passion and selfless attitude, not the act itself.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
S stands for Seun
S stands for Sarcasm. tongue embarassed
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:
Yep, but who knows, you have a peculiar way of understanding things that set you in a class of your own. grin grin grin grin

cheesy
Lol
I'm happy you think of me in that light.
Lol

You see ehn.

We are all creators.
Our thoughts alone creates things.

So what if that boy touched that man as a point of contact and was wishing him all the good he could possibly think of for him at that moment.

When wehear the word "pray"
It evokes some kind of feeling that we are talking to some uninterested distant diety.

Lol

It's not always the case for some of us who pray.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
I'm sure that many people have prayed quietly for this homeless man as they walked past him. This boy just did it in a more photogenic way.

Actually, it hurts because it gives people the satisfaction of feeling that they have done something to help, whereas they haven't.
Not necessarily. And if they have prayed for him,that's good too. They weren't going to do anything anyways. That is my point. So praying is not bad, it doesn't hurt. In fact it's good. It's like being a well wisher, after all we can't solve everyone's problems. So the boy did well. It is ridiculous to say otherwise.

I didn't say he helped, but he certainly didn't hurt and if he or the homeless man received any comfort from it then who are we to say that it wasn't enough. As if we have the interest in or capacity to help everyone we see.....

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:42pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

*sighs*

grin

How do I even begin to convince you guys now that the very action of that boy, which for all we know, might be his widow's mite has sparked a number of reactions both in the physical and spiritual that will get that man off the streets for good, and rehabilitated too?

Y'see.
I'm a recipient of the power of prayer and MEDITATION.
I have lots of issues with th Christian God.
But I believe that we have a source, from which/whom we all proceed.

That boy's act was that of compassion.
Supposing I were in his shoes, Permit me to speak like an insensitive person for a bit.

"Do you know what it takes for a clean bae lik me to touch a street man who hasn't bathed for days and for all we know, has Ebola and the likes?"
Lol

It takes compassion and the divine to do so without flinching.

Within these few days, I've seen and perceived enough to know that the physical is not all that there is.
Ah sometimes I smile when people like you talk about the spiritual as if there's just one version of 'the spiritual'.

If that boys action did indeed get that man of the street, does it mean liberated?

Putting food in the mouth of the homeless and housing them, doesn't mean that homeless is free does it? I believe whoever takes that man off the street will continue to feed him for the rest of his life right?
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Brunel(m): 1:44pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
I am not deriding his belief, but suggesting that his prayer does absolutely nothing for the man, so he shouldn't be praised for it.

His prayer, has gone viral.
1. Greater audience that can potentially help the homeless man.
2. Put a smile on the face of the homeless man........ giving him hope potentially.
3. Gave hope to the Baltimore police officer that not all hope is lost. .......especially seeing the treatment of black young men in Baltimore, this can change the perception of blacks there.
4. Humanity.

Just a few points I think his prayer has done.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:44pm On Mar 13, 2016
iamayodeji:
Nigerians will always continue to be hyper-sentimental, even the cop that took the picture was only touched by the boy's passion and selfless attitude, not the act itself.
Yes! The celebrity bread seller turned model comes to mind. Lol.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:
Who do think deserve to be lauded: the man who said he's going to tar a road or the man who tar the road?

What has prayer ever done or accomplished? If prayer truly works, considering the amount of prayer being prayed for this country to get better, it would have been better....
Lol. Prayer is not saying "I'm going to do something". Prayer is saying "God, please do something". So your analogy is flawed I think.....

I didn't say that prayer works and I'm not arguing that stance. I said the boy didnt hurt anybody. If we do bad things because we want to, why not "pointless things" such as prayer? It is at least comforting. So you guys can chill, the boy may be overly dramatic but he's not wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Basic Frame Of The Bible. / The Enigma Of John The Baptist / When Is Jesus God And When Is He Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.