Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) (14232 Views)

10 Of The World's Most Venomous SNAKES (photos) / 15 Things Every Nigerian Will Remember About Reproductn Class In Secndry Sch. / 15 Things Only People Who Attended Obafemi Awolowo University Will Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by thywobab(m): 12:48pm On Mar 14, 2016
15. THE SMALLEST SNAKE IS 3.9 INCHES LONG Snakes come in all different shapes and sizes, but the absolute smallest one in the world is the thread snake. They can grow to be a whopping 3.9 inches long.
14. THE BIGGEST SNAKE IS 30 FEET LONG On the other side of the spectrum, we have the reticulated python. These nonvenomous beauties can grow up to be 30 feet long, and are the biggest snakes in the world.
13. SOME SNAKES HAVE APPENDAGES Some snakes, like this tentacled sea snake, actually do have appendages, though they wouldn't truly be called limbs. There are vipers with horns, and the very cool burrowing asp has little sabreteeth it can move independently and use to maneuver food into its mouth.
12. SNAKES CAN EAT ANIMALS 75-100% BIGGER THAN THEM With their ability to unhinge their jaw, snakes can eat animals up to twice the size that they are. Sometimes, if they swallow more than they can handle (or if their meal is alive and feisty), they can burst open.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by geesilver(m): 12:50pm On Mar 14, 2016
i fear o
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Veronica0705(f): 12:57pm On Mar 14, 2016
space booked... because I know this is going to fp . lalastic lala password (snake, tonto dikeh, Olajumoke)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by thywobab(m): 12:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
11. DIFFERENT SNAKES HAVE DIFFERENT PUPIL
SHAPES
There's this old myth that you can tell if a snake's
venomous by the shape of their pupils, and that
venomous snakes have diamond shaped pupils. This
isn't true, because cobras and mambas have round
pupils. The pupil shape actually correlates to
hunting techniques.

10. NOT ALL SNAKES HATCH FROM EGGS
Only 70% of snakes lay eggs. The rest actually have
live birth. Because eggs wouldn't do well in cold
climates, a lot of snakes in cold parts of the world
have adapted to give birth.

9. THE SAINT LUCIA RACER IS THE RAREST SNAKE IN
THE WORLD
Sadly, this snake is rare because it's extremely
endangered. They were believed to be extinct, but 11 racers were documented in 2012. They're still in big trouble.

8. ONLY 5 PEOPLE DIE ANNUALLY FROM SNAKE
BITES
If 5 people a year sounds a lot, it won't after you see
how many people are bitten annually: 7,000-8,000
people. Deaths from bites are more rare because of
the development of anti-venom. The exact number
of fatalities from snake bites globally is unknown,
because there are snakes in many parts of the world where attacks aren't documented.

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
Like play like play this post will make front page.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by xender(m): 1:06pm On Mar 14, 2016
snake trend ??

common we all no were this is going....
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by thywobab(m): 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
7. THERE ARE AROUND 3,000 SPECIES OF SNAKE But of all those species, only around 700 are venomous, and only 200 of those are viewed as "medically significant venomous species."
6. SNAKES DON'T HAVE EYELIDS Don't try to get into a staring contest with a snake, because you won't win. They don't have eyelids, and they can't move their eyes either.
5. KING COBRAS ARE THE LARGEST VENOMOUS SNAKE While reticulated pythons are the biggest snake, they're nonvenomous. The largest venomous snake is the massive King Cobra.
4. THE INLAND TAIPAN IS THE MOST VENOMOUS SNAKE It's a common misconception that Belcher's Sea Snake is the most venomous snake, but the Inland Taipan of Australia (of course) actually holds that title. Luckily for the Aussies, these guys tend to be shy.

1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Jboyossai(m): 1:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
CuteInBlack:
Lets imagine I ever encounter unhatched snake eggs( see Pix 10). what would be my reaction? undecided

Na to use am cook indomie now!

JhimmySpark:
Never knew snakes lay up eggs. One bros once told me dat all snakes die during child birth. I asked y?.. He said dat the babies would pierce the sides of the mother to come when she is giving birth. As a result she will automatically die. Thank God for this thread, dat error has bin corrected. God bless u op.

there are some species of snake which undergo that kind of child birth, so your formal belief is not completely wrong....some lay eggs, while some act like you said!

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by thywobab(m): 1:14pm On Mar 14, 2016
3. THERE ARE SNAKES ON EVERY CONTINENT BUT
ANTARCTICA
Snakes are a truly global species. They can be found
on every single continent but Antarctica, for obvious
reasons.

2. THIS IS NOT A SNAKE
Most people don't know that there are limbless
reptiles that aren't actually snakes. Legless lizards
either have no legs or legs too small to be used for
locomotion. An easy way to differentiate between
the two is that lizards have eyelids and ear holes.

1. ALL SNAKES ARE CARNIVORES
Every single member of the snake species eats meat.Unlike a lot of species that have omnivores,
herbivores and carnivore members, snakes are all
carnivores.

1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by CuteInBlack(m): 1:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
Lets imagine I ever encounter unhatched snake eggs( see Pix 10). what would be my reaction? undecided
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Ravenna: 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
Chills..

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
The most scary animal on earth is snake. I fear them but I love to watch their pictures like this. I even did some research on Google on the largest snake in the world, I tell you, if you see the pictures that were shown to me menh I for throw way my fone. But sincerely, they are very scary animal that you will never imagine yourself being with.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 14, 2016
Anywhere I see snakes na to run or kill am.. I no get time o

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by JhimmySpark(m): 1:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
Never knew snakes lay up eggs. One bros once told me dat all snakes die during child birth. I asked y?.. He said dat the babies would pierce the sides of the mother to come when she is giving birth. As a result she will automatically die. Thank God for this thread, dat error has bin corrected. God bless u op.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by stanley000: 2:28pm On Mar 14, 2016
another one!
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by slevin1(m): 3:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
I'll argue the snake bite mortality rate anytime. Your information is wrong. The dense populated areas of India alone can boast of more than 30 deaths per area annually. These occur in mostly in farms and in homes. Check ur source again.

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by ThatNova(m): 3:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
nice info. the pictures are dope as well

i don't know if there are other people like me, I tend to like snakes. I would totally like to know that another person is like that as well.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
OK.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by UncleLondon: 4:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
Creepiest picture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by mrfree(m): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ok.... Oh

Snake na snake.... ejo le jo nje
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by ennysuccess(m): 4:10pm On Mar 14, 2016
This will make front page since snake is involved

I will be back
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
Sai BaBa
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Enouwem(m): 4:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
If this thread doesn't make front page, BAN me
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 14, 2016
LALA, FOOD DOM DONE
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by blessedvisky(m): 4:32pm On Mar 14, 2016
16 They ALWAYS make FP on NL coz of lalasticlala b angry lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by babyfaceafrica: 5:16pm On Mar 14, 2016
Beautiful pictures
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by OgidiOlu3(m): 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
I hear there are no snakes in Ireland.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by Damfostopper(m): 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
Fp material..... It will make fp b4 dis week ends
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by mizquote(f): 5:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
I'm scared.
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by ibnquasale(m): 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
JhimmySpark:

The bros is right... that attitude is only linked to vipers. Some believed it has to do with the lack of patience on the part of the babies
Re: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) by mccoy47(m): 5:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
Definitely FP. lala comman see oo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unilag Protest Update: Academic Activities Suspended Indefinitely / University Of Benin Orders Immediate Closure Over Impending Boko Haram Bombing / FUTMINNA Expels 13, Dismisses Lecturer Over Charges Of Sexual Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.