Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. (1992 Views)

How To Change SMF Forum Favicon Without Any Mods / Favicon (request) / Webmaters: Show Your Webpages Screenshots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by mavtrevor(m): 5:57pm On Jul 20, 2009
I know you must be wondering how some websites have this little logo on the browser, or while bookmarking some sites you discover they have this little logo on it. The logo is called favicons. I will like to teach us how you can place such on your webpages. First creat a 16px x 16px, 16color image with either a .bmp or .gif extension. Then convert the image to a .ico format using icon converter. Save the converted image as favicon.ico . Upload to your site. Insert a link to all the pages you want to add it to. Remember to point your link to the correct folder holding the images. Then put this piece of code somewhere between the <Head></Head> tags on your pages. <LINK REL = "SHORTCUT ICON" HREF = "Http://Www.yourdomain.com/Name_Of_Icon.ico">
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by yawatide(f): 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
point of information:
At least based on my experience, the favicon for some reason, using the code presented above, doesn't show up in IE, only FF. Why? I have no idea tongue
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by bug24(m): 11:32pm On Jul 20, 2009
<LINK REL = "SHORTCUT ICON" HREF = "Http://Www.yourdomain.com/Name_Of_Icon.ico">

cant it just be something a lil simple and straightforward like this?

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

whereby the favicon is just within ur '/'
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by quadrillio(m): 3:17pm On Jul 22, 2009
I use this "<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> " and it tested and working on IE,Chrome,FF,Opera.

any better one please share
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by yawatide(f): 4:23pm On Jul 22, 2009
cool quadrillo.

What my favicon tags have been missing is the "type" part.  I will definitely update them and should I still have issues, will let the forum know.

Thanks.
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by lordzain(m): 4:56pm On Jul 22, 2009
i use favicon by just uploading and an icon named favicon.ico and it works on every blank page i create
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 22, 2009
My favicons work everywhere too. Same as qadrilo i presume
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by mamlaka(m): 10:04am On Jul 23, 2009
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Does not work in IE8,
Re: Adding Favicon On Your Webpages. by yawatide(f): 11:19am On Aug 07, 2009
Well I just visited a few of my sites today and found out that I was wrong all along about favicons not showing up - they do, just not in the same place FF (which is the browser I use ALL the time) does, which is why I could never find it. In other words, I didn't even have to modify my code to reflect the suggestion above.

In IE, the favicon shows up next to the url in the address bar as well as to the top right of the tab.

My bad for my previous bad post. I hereby recall my "point of information".

(1) (Reply)

Someone To Create Javascript Slide Show With Navigation Buttons / Profile Wall Script - Part 2 - Review / Problem With Website Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.