Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,846 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

To Hell With ASUU! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / To Hell With ASUU! (829 Views)

FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Hell With ASUU! by Dclique(m): 2:39am On Jul 21, 2009
As a patriotic concerned Nigerian, I wish to join my voice to the panoply of distressed voices across Nigeria and indeed the whole world to urge the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and its cohorts to expeditiously call off the ongoing nationwide strike and return to classes in their own interest and that of the undergraduates currently languishing at home. Pro-ASUU critics and other advocates of adversarial government-labour relationship will wonder why a right-thinking person would canvass the immediate call-off of the strike in the face of the glaring untrustworthiness demonstrated by the Federal Government and a compelling argument for sustained industrial action. Read my lips:
ASUU, and not the Federal Government, is the cause of the crisis in the country’s tertiary education sector with their frequent unreasonable demands and incessant recourse to industrial action, without any consideration for the plight of the students. I am all for fair wage for good work done, but I am also mindful of the scriptural underpinnings of labour, which empowers the proprietor to pay his labourers whatever he deemed fit. So, the Federal Government not only has the constitutional Magna Carta to pay university lecturers whatever it chooses, it also has scriptural empowerment. Doesn’t it smack of insensitivity for any worker, under whatever guise or umbrella, to ask for wage increase with the hard-hitting global economic meltdown? Should the lecturers not be happy to be keeping their jobs, when the rest of the world is experiencing massive retrenchment and sky-rocketing employment statistics?
On its part, the Aso Rock has done pretty well to continue to run the business of government in spite of the distractions posed by the Niger Delta crisis, infrastructure collapse and the rising spate of armed robbery and kidnapping across the country. With fast dwindling oil reserves and free-falling oil revenues, the Federal Government deserves a standing ovation and the unmitigated support of all Nigerians to continue to steer the rudderless ship of the failing Nigerian state. So, this ongoing ASUU strike is surely one distraction too many and it must be dismissed and discredited.
Let’s even face the facts of the ASUU strike for a moment. There are four major demands contained in the so-called FG-ASUU agreement, which the Federal Government has most wisely elected not to endorse ad hominem. Now, we now know (through the most highly respected Professor Dora Akunyili) that the Federal Government has graciously agreed to three of the demands, leaving out the most nauseating and irresponsible-100 per cent salary increase! Who the hell do ASUU and the lecturers think they are? Why can’t they borrow a leaf or two from the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, who voluntarily opted for a salary cut for him and other government officials? His exemplary behaviour and demonstration of patriotism has even been commendably emulated by the 36 state governors.
On further reflection on the ongoing crisis, I realized that ASUU might be acting out of sheer envy against the three key government officials involved in this imbroglio namely President Yar’Adua; Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu, and Minister of Communication & Information, Prof. Akunyili - all very distinguished academicians and reputable dons. As a matter of fact, Prof. Akunyili did well to remind the media and the public that she is still on the nominal roll of the University of Nigeria, where she held sway as one of the best Professors of Pharmacy not to mention her hugely successful stint as boss of NAFDAC. The Honourable Minister of Education, Egwu, has an intimidating track record, which he has garnered both as a university teacher and as governor of Ebonyi State. The records are there, and poor Martin Elechi must be cursing his luck for stepping into such massive pair of suede shoes abandoned by the indomitable Egwu. As for Mr. President, his research papers are still so widely referenced across the academia all over the world and these striking lecturers do not have a single respect for the president’s academic cum intellectual exploits. I think Nigerian lecturers have been indulged and over-pampered for too long. Now is the time to teach them a few lessons.
By the way, I am tired of the frequent but unnecessary attempt to compare the former Education Minister, Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili and Dr. Sam Egwu. I align myself with those who argue that perhaps Oby was too idealistic. She oft wept when describing the state of Nigeria’s education sector. She was too passionate and sentimental. She was way too methodical. She even attempted to sell the Unity Schools to the highest bidder! That actually did it for her, because she wanted to whimsically dispose of such an important historical artefact. Did it really matter whether the students of the Unity Schools were performing well in external examinations or not? I think Mrs. Ezekwesili was being more catholic than the Pope with her far-reaching prescriptions, which are meant for more advanced countries. Nigeria’s education sector needs quick fixes, which astute politicians like Dr. Egwu are most adept at.
When recently the Senate diverted some funds meant for education and health to the expansion of the Abuja airport road, I thought that was a masterstroke. How on earth could anyone have toyed with the idea of releasing a whopping N23 billion to the already collapsed education sector? I can imagine the riots that would have engulfed the universities over who gets what percentage of the cash! It is very gratifying to note that the extremely wise lawmakers stepped in urgently and decreed a certainly much better use for the money. When the 10-lane Abuja airport road is finished by 2020 or thereabouts, Nigerians - especially the obstinate lecturers - will understand that it takes a focused leadership to pursue a seven-point agenda with all the potholes on Nigerian roads.
People often talk about brain drain and it only amuses me. Which brain are we talking about here? The threat has been on since Gen. Ibrahim Babangida started the policy of recruiting professors for political positions and not much harm has been done, and not much will be done in the nearest future. As far I am concerned, if the whole Nigerian lecturers want to run to other countries, let them do it today. Perhaps, that is the wakeup call young men and women need to take their positions in our falling Ivory Towers, and probably turn them into more profitable business ventures. Currently, Nigerian universities have a surfeit of old, tired and frustrated teachers, who have refused to exercise patience and wait till they get to heaven to pick up their rewards and awards. I am aware that the Presidency is considering sacking the obdurate lecturers en masse to pave the way for the injection of fresh blood, and obviously fresh ideas, into the Nigerian university “shitstem”. Besides, at the rate which young people are fleeing from the academic environment, Nigeria might not attain the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in the education sector.
I recently got talking to one of my former lecturers, who had rather unwisely relocated to Malawi! Imagine! He told me that Malawi, one of the poorest economies in the world, operates at over 95 per cent public power (electricity). His comparison of Malawi and Nigeria to me was like comparing apples and oranges. I mean, Malawi is a poor, small country, which should not be juxtaposed with Nigeria by any parameter. How many universities do they have in Malawi? In fact, I was very happy when Prof. Akunyili asked this question while responding to the reprehensible demand for salary increase by the disgruntled. By the way, how much do ministers, governors and National Assembly members earn in terms of salaries and allowances? Even if it is a little bit high, don’t they deserve it given the enormous sacrifices they are making daily for the country and the people?
Now I see why they call universities “Ivory Towers”. The people who occupy these so called towers live in absolute oblivion. Practically every aspect of the socio-economic system of this country is at various stages of deterioration. I wonder why the lecturers think that the university system would be any different (read better). For example, the last time I passed through the Ore-Benin expressway, seven years ago, the road was manageably passable. I am reliably informed that the road has degenerated so badly, two years after Obasanjo’s administration, which purportedly appropriated billions of naira for road rehabilitation. And so what? In spite of Mrs. Deziani Alison-Madueke, former Transport Minister, blatant tears before television cameras over the state of the road, nothing has been done, and I believe nothing will be done. And the people of South-east and South-south who more frequently ply that route have not gone on strike, but have instead comported themselves well and swallowed the insult with philosophical equanimity - as true patriots.
The ongoing ASUU strike has highlighted one of the major cankerworms eating deep into the fabric of the Nigerian society: ingratitude. Nigerians are very ungrateful people, because they do not appreciate the great things President Yar’Adua and his team are doing for them. Just look at the textbook approach he adopted in negotiating the freedom of the Nigerians hijacked last year by Somali pirates! Unlike President Barack Obama, who cavalierly opted for military action to secure the release of the America crew equally hijacked by the Somalians, Yar’Adua astutely deployed “taciturn” diplomacy and all our men returned safely after nearly one year. I honestly hope he does not exercise as much patience in the case of the ASUU strike. It is time to save the university system in Nigeria and everybody - lecturers, students, government officials and the masses - knows it.
Postscript: As I was reviewing this piece to be sure it read as well as I intended, information came through to the effect that the Federal Government has graciously offered the lecturers 40 per cent salary increase. With all the economic indices going south, methinks the teachers should just take it and disappear before the government changes its mind.
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by Cj5: 8:59am On Jul 21, 2009
what u have posted is beautiful nosense.I see no meaning in what u have posted.Are u in any way saying that the unions agitation or request is not worth it?Instead of u to help appeal to the fed. govt. to meet the demands of the union so that the strike can be called off,u are here making frontless effort.ASUU deserves a welfare package. they[ASUU] are not beggars.
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by Dclique(m): 10:29am On Jul 21, 2009
Dude!!, thisday newspapers
21-7-09
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by chupcake(m): 12:07pm On Jul 21, 2009
ASUU own sef don too much, A wooping 109% increase, Chai, With all the Niger-Delta crisis going on, All of them no get sense.And 3 outta 4 No be A? Stupid people.And them go dey collect salary oo.For not coming to class.Oshisco, Make Yar'Adua no pay them jor.Them go run come class now.Idoits, !!!
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by Dclique(m): 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2009
I dey feel u, guy!!
Hahaha
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by kaycast(m): 2:41pm On Jul 21, 2009
whats too much? if your folks were a lecturer you will know that its not too much. Those people deserve better things, dont you think so?
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by kaycast(m): 10:17am On Jul 22, 2009
As at today, the federal government as agreed to still pay 105 million,but AUU wants more, its going to go on and on, and the dialogue will only be prolonged, well maybe ASUU too should come down a bit, not because they are weak, but because this empty space of time wasted have more repercussion on the youths of Nigeria, get more at http://www.nigerian-youth..com something can be done i believe strongly.
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by Dclique(m): 10:58am On Jul 22, 2009
Assu shud jst accept anythng
let this madness END angry angry angry
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by U1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 22, 2009
Both ASUU and the Federal Government are not serious, look at how they are playing hide and seek with the future of young Nigerians. Do they really care? God help us!
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by phemygee(m): 2:18pm On Jul 22, 2009
ASUU are doing the best thing. Sit yourself down and point out the differences between Nigeria's Education and the rest of the countries. You will find the answers to why ASUU are adamant this time around.
Re: To Hell With ASUU! by chrisical(m): 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2009
Only God can save us.

(1) (Reply)

. / e / With This Long Strike: Can You Still Remember Your Matric Number?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.